Thread: 650b Rune

mtbr member

650b Rune

I know this answer is someplace on this forum, but I don't have the time to search for it ;-). For you guys that turned your Rune into a 650b what did you do with the drop outs? Did you use the 26er drop outs or did you buy the 650b drop outs. Going to build up a 650b wheelset to see how it feels in the 650b mode. Also, can a Lyrik fit a 650b? Anyone try it? Thanks, Mike.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    I know this answer is someplace on this forum, but I don't have the time to search for it ;-). For you guys that turned your Rune into a 650b what did you do with the drop outs? Did you use the 26er drop outs or did you buy the 650b drop outs. Going to build up a 650b wheelset to see how it feels in the 650b mode. Also, can a Lyrik fit a 650b? Anyone try it? Thanks, Mike.
    Good questions, being able to use a real world 27.5 tire with the 26 dropouts would be nice option.

Regarding the Lyric, I asked the same question over in the 650/27.5 forum. Apparently it would fit, but I doubt any sizable 27.5 would.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

Hard funkinī Kraut
    My 2008er Lyrik U-Turn Coil does not offer enough Clearance for a reasonable 650B-Tire, so this may not work when going with 2.25 or bigger Tires.

The Dropouts:
    For my Spitfire I have purchased both, 142x12 for 26 and 650B. With a HansDampf 2.25 there is enough Clearance in the 26-Dropouts, maybe up to 2.35. If you want to be sure and ready for the big grippy Tires and All-Weather-Conditions better go with the 650B-Dropouts. Itīs really so much fun to ride with sub 43 cm Chainstays and the 650Bs, but to get the same great Clearance for 2.4/2.5 Tires the 10 mm longer Dropouts are safe.
    If Banshee would slightly re-design the middle Cross-Brace and the vertical Strut on the Driveside the 650B-Dropouts were not really necessary at all ... or for both Wheelsizes could lead to 42 cm (26) and 43 cm (650B) Chainstays.
    Maybe something to think about in the Future, especially in Case the 650B-Wheel will become the common Standard Wheelsize on Trail/AM-Bikes ...

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for the info guys!
    JRA

mtbr member
    helimech, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/impressions once your converted to 650b. Are you going to try the Lyric or do you have a 650b specific fork?
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    helimech, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/impressions once your converted to 650b. Are you going to try the Lyric or do you have a 650b specific fork?
    I ordered my Rune V2 from the factory with 650B dropouts and built it with a Fox 34 Float 160 CTD 27.5" fork and Stan's Flow EX rims in 650B. I run 2.35" tires F/R -- currently Nevegals, but I'm switching the rear to Hans Dampf for the flat protection in New Mexico riding conditions.

Compared to my old 26" 100/120mm FS bike I've ridden for 10 years, it handles great -- I chose much lower 2x10 gearing than my old bike, and once I flipped some spacers from under the stem, it climbs effortlessly and I can roll much larger rock steps than I ever could on my 26" bike. It handles better than my old bike in downhill switchbacks and descends the rough stuff like a magic carpet.

It seems to me the KS link on this bike was really designed for 650B -- not like it was a marketing decision at all. I think the larger wheel size really makes this bike shine with the KS link design, and the geometry feels compact enough that there's no perceivable penalty in handling or acceleration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 650b Rune-rune_v2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well **** now you tell me ;-). Your Rune is looking HOT! Going to leave the Rune alone at 26" for now. Put a zero CC down on a Norco Range killer B3 and its on its way. I know there is a waiting list for people wanting both of these bikes. Maybe 1 of mine will be available soon?
    Also, took off my CCDBair and put on a home tuned Fox DHXair. Like it a lot better for some reason?
    Stabone, your in NM I see. Do you roll with the Bando's?
    JRA

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Well **** now you tell me ;-). Your Rune is looking HOT! Going to leave the Rune alone at 26" for now. Put a zero CC down on a Norco Range killer B3 and its on its way. I know there is a waiting list for people wanting both of these bikes. Maybe 1 of mine will be available soon?
    Also, took off my CCDBair and put on a home tuned Fox DHXair. Like it a lot better for some reason?
    Stabone, your in NM I see. Do you roll with the Bando's?
    Thanks!! Would like to hear how you think it rides as a 26er - and if you upgrade, how it compares to a purpose-built 650B like the Norco. I got my Rune from Adam at Rbikes.com -- great service, ordered in March and got it in early April. Maybe it was my color choice, but it showed up way earlier than expected.

I went with the Fox Foat CTD shock on the rear as I ride it more on the aggressive XC end of the AM spectrum and I wanted to shave a little weight. I ride at about 190lb and I have blown through the rear travel on a drop to flat, but generally it's exactly right for my riding style.

I haven't done any rides with the Bandos - full time job plus Master's degree work plus family = local or nothing for me lately, so I ride either solo or with a buddy of mine if our schedules align. And at least where I live in the mts east of ABQ, our forests are about to close due to the drought, so I'll have to make time to travel to get any riding in while we do our rain dance.