mtbr member

2017 Banshee Build Thread

Now that the 2017's are available I thought it was time to have a devoted thread for the builds.

Got my XL frame the other day, have started building up my 2017 Prime!

2017 Banshee Build Thread-img_20170304_125128216_hdr.jpg2017 Banshee Build Thread-img_20170304_125103690_hdr.jpg
    Last edited by MartinS; 03-05-2017 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    thats the bike I want to get but not here yet whear did you get it?

did you need to face off the head tube, I am excited this will be my first build. Love to here some details from you.

mtbr member
    I'm keen on the Orange Prime ^^

Major greasing to do, if it's to happen o_0

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Ordered direct through Banshee a few months back as there are no dealers nearby, I believe Dirtmerchant should have them pdq if they don't have them yet.
    No need for facing headset, pressed in easy peasy.
    Last edited by MartinS; 03-07-2017 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    lets here about the front end you have installed so far, what head set and fork did you go with looking good

mtbr member
    Most of the parts are of my '13 Prime. Here''s a quick breakdown of the build.

RS Pike Solo air w/ Vorsprung Luftkappe
    Chris King hs
    RF SixC bar w/ 50mm Atlas stem
    XTR trail brakes w/ 180mm Ice tech's
    XTR 11 spd shifter
    XT gs derailleur
    XT 11 - 46 cassette, we'll see how the big jump between 37t and 46t goes, also have an XT 11 - 40t with a 45t One-Up if it doesn't cut it.
    I9 Gravity wheels for heavy use
    I9 hubs with Derby carbon rims for lighter days
    Chunky Monkey 2.4 tires
    RF Turbine cranks for now, trying a 32t up front first, once fat bike season is over I'll swap my Next SL's over
    XTR trail pedals
    9point8 200mm dropper - I'm going to have to lower it about 12 to 15mm though.
    WTB Laser slti saddle
    Stock Monarch RC3 shock, but also have a DBAIR that I will be testing out

I Got yer Activity Stream
    Nice man. Look forward to seeing it built up.
    2013 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

mtbr member
    Here you go!
    As you can see we still have a bit of snow (the ground should be level, plus the drift at the front of my house is around 9 feet deep), hopefully I can dial it all in before heading to Hurricane at the end of the month.

2017 Banshee Build Thread-img_20170305_120430276.jpg2017 Banshee Build Thread-img_20170305_120443394.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How tall are you? And what is your inseam? I am between this bike and a xxl stumpjumper. Compromises will be had no matter which bike I choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    good looking bike

mtbr member
    I'm a bit over 6'3", shorter legs for my height - 34" inseam. Bike seems like it will fit well, a bit longer than my 2013 model so went with a 10mm short stem than before (60mm to a 50mm). Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but it seems good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Waiting is hard.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyB View Post
    Waiting is hard.
    Indeed.

MTB B'dos
    Subscribed to hear you thoughts comparing the 2 different models. Looks really nice, really digging the new integrated TT and brace.

Curious how the handling compare with that little bit of added Reach, wondering if maybe you've tried a 40mm stem? After getting my large Phantom after riding the XL PP Prime for 2 years and always having a bit of a struggle on faster tracks with the front end, I ended up running only a 10mm longer (70mm compared to 60mm) stem than I ran on the XL Prime, I realised I had been running a too long stem to properly weight the front. Last year I rebuilt the Prime with a 40mm stem and did not have that high speed cornering control issue, and despite over 2" in WB between the XL Prime and L Phantom, I have no issues navigating the tighter, slower stuff on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Subscribed to hear you thoughts comparing the 2 different models. Looks really nice, really digging the new integrated TT and brace.

Curious how the handling compare with that little bit of added Reach, wondering if maybe you've tried a 40mm stem? After getting my large Phantom after riding the XL PP Prime for 2 years and always having a bit of a struggle on faster tracks with the front end, I ended up running only a 10mm longer (70mm compared to 60mm) stem than I ran on the XL Prime, I realised I had been running a too long stem to properly weight the front. Last year I rebuilt the Prime with a 40mm stem and did not have that high speed cornering control issue, and despite over 2" in WB between the XL Prime and L Phantom, I have no issues navigating the tighter, slower stuff on it.
    Hey Lynx, might be a while before I can really answer your questions, as you can see, lots of snow locally. I will be down south for a week at the end of the month though, problem is after a winter of riding 4.8 tires all regular bikes feel really weird for the first little while.
    I do plan on checking out a shorter stem, but 50mm was the shortest I currently have in my collection. Just sitting on it seems pretty familiar though, so I don't thing it will be hard to adjust to. I haven't broken out the measuring tape yet - I usually try to set up all my bikes so general fit is the same.

I Got yer Activity Stream
    Thanks for that, looks sick! I was going to comment that the tires looked a little small, but then saw they are 2.4 Monkeys. So apparently that is just due to the sheer size of the XL Prime (and maybe because I am running 2.6s currently).

Looks like you've got a bit of room to adjust the seat back if needed.
    2013 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

The Mountain Bike Life
    Interesting note about the dropper...was looking at the same one if I go with a new Prime. I have a '13 production model and love it...nothing wrong with it really...just want a new bike really bad...hah.

mtbr member
    Same boat for me, nothing wrong with my 2013, just decide on a change of scenery.
    Yeah, the 200mm dropper would probably require at least a 36" inseam, I would recommend ordering the height adusting shims when you order the post just in case, 9point8's shipping costs are ridiculous on small parts ($42 for $35 of parts).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Great looking bike Martin. Did you happen to weigh it before you started the build?

See you're in Fernie, spent the winter of 1999/2000 there and hung around for some early season riding, god I miss that place! Has it changed much? Bet it's expanded a fair bit now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davosaurusrex View Post
    Great looking bike Martin. Did you happen to weigh it before you started the build?

See you're in Fernie, spent the winter of 1999/2000 there and hung around for some early season riding, god I miss that place! Has it changed much? Bet it's expanded a fair bit now
    I did weigh it prior to the build, it is lighter but not much compared to the old one. Including the shock (so Monarch vs DBAir) the difference was about 1/2 lb.

Fernie is still pretty similar overall, probably more biker oriented now, but the trail system is way more extensive than it was back then plus we have miles of groomed fat bike trails all winter. I would guess that there isn't a trail left that isn't significantly different, way more options, all are a short bike ride from town so no need to drive to a trailhead (with the exception if the big mountain dh runs that you have to shuttle), all singletrack, no fire road climbs . I think at last count we were at around 80 trails accessible with a 15 minute ride from my door.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks Martin, can you remember what the weight was?

I used to live with a bunch of Ozzie snowboarders in that little house on the corner of 5th and 10th with the river running around the bottom of the garden. Just been looking round town on Google streetview, boy I'm nostalgic now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davosaurusrex View Post
    Thanks Martin, can you remember what the weight was?

I used to live with a bunch of Ozzie snowboarders in that little house on the corner of 5th and 10th with the river running around the bottom of the garden. Just been looking round town on Google streetview, boy I'm nostalgic now!
    This town is rife with Ozzie boarders, so no surprise there. World class fly-fishing in that river too!
    Frame weight was 7lbs 15 oz with rear axle and shock. As most Banshee fans know, they aren't the lightest out there but they sure can take a beating. I was a little concerned by the German blog claim that the new frame was 1 lb lighter than the old one, I don't like to ride noodles. I have lighter bikes, but my Banshee is the one that won't leave me stranded in the back country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hi Martain is there any chance I could get you to measure the inner diameter of the BB. It would be ever so appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sorry, not going to remove the BB at this point, it's all built up. Inner Diameter is pretty standard for a threaded BB, nothing unusual there. If you were wondering width, it is a 73mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    My bad I dont blame you for that I thought you might know or be able to get a measurement from the outside,I would not want you take it apart. Thanks for the responce

Braaap
    Nice, a properly sized bike! A bit surprised you can't slam the post. The stealth routing hole is right at the bottom of the straight/usable seat tube section; the housing and the 9point8 connector might be what's in the way. This would also explain why you were able to slam the 30.9 (I'm assuming you didn't set it up/connect it).

Dave Mac: Banshee uses a 73mm BSA threaded across the lineup. Roughly a 33.5mm ID.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Yeah was a bit surprised too, I initially tried a 31.6 Thompson and it only went down about 263mm before stopping, pretty sure it is where the seat tube starts to curve back toward the bb. The 30.9 post I checked out for the other mtbr member (sorry forgot his name) was probably just narrow enough to get by the bend.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    The 30.9 post I checked out for the other mtbr member (sorry forgot his name)...
    You're welcome. :-D

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    2017 Banshee Build Thread-dsc_1097-01-01.jpg

2017 Banshee Build Thread-dsc_1093-01-01.jpg

- Frame: Phantom XL
    - Fork: Rock Shox Pike 130mm 51mm offset
    - Headset: Hope
    - Stem: Chromag Ranger V2 60mm
    - Handlebar: Answer Pro Taper SL 750mm
    - Grips: Ergon GS1
    - Seat clamp: Banshee
    - Seatpost: Fox Transfer Factory 150mm
    - Saddle: Bontrager Evoke RL
    - Brakes: Shimano XTR Race 180mm rotors
    - Shifter: Shimano XT 11psd
    - Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    - Cranks: Shimano XT 180mm
    - Pedals: Shimano XT
    - Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
    - Chainring: Absolute Black Oval 32t
    - Cassette: Shimano XT 11-46t
    - Chain: Shimano XT
    - Wheelset: Roval Traverse SL
    - Front tire: Maxxis Minion DHR 3C 2.3
    - Rear tire: Maxxis Ardent Race 3C 2.35

Weight is dead on 30lbs minus the storage bottle, pump and gps. Not too bad as the frame alone was over 8lbs. Can easily take another pound off the drivetrain if needed.

Rides very nice! Frame is rock solid. It's got a lot of suspension muscle for only 105mm, the KS Link does way more than most bikes of similar travel. Pedalling position is just right. The raw finish looks awesome!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nice build!

Could you please measure your chainline and take a photo of the chainstay/chainring clearence with your oval? Thank you!

MTB B'dos
    Very nice Curious, how tall are you? I'm assuming you must be over 6'4" to be running that setup on the XL with 480mm Reach. Which setup did you go with 142x12 or 148x12 and how are you running the chips? I don't feel so bad now with my Large PP V1 running a 2x, 150x12 rear and alloy wheels coming in just a smidge over 31lbs

Quote Originally Posted by DenyEverything View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1093-01-01.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	1128922

- Frame: Phantom XL - Fork: Rock Shox Pike 130mm 51mm offset - Stem: Chromag Ranger V2 60mm - Handlebar: Answer Pro Taper SL 750mm.
    - Weight is dead on 30lbs minus the storage bottle, pump and gps. Not too bad as the frame alone was over 8lbs. Can easily take another pound off the drivetrain if needed.

Rides very nice! Frame is rock solid. It's got a lot of suspension muscle for only 105mm, the KS Link does way more than most bikes of similar travel. Pedalling position is just right. The raw finish looks awesome!
    MTB Barbados

26 for life.

Large Turquoise Spitfire. Looks more Teal to me.
    New bits:
    27.5 Pike, Monarch plus.
    Spank Spike "Bear Claw" stem 50mm
    Answer Pro Taper 780mm
    KS Lev Integra 150mm with Race Face remote.
    Old bits:
    X9 shifter, derailleur & cranks.
    Sunrace 11-42 cogs.
    Absolute Black 32 tooth chainring.
    DT EX500 rims on X9 hubs.
    Replacing the X9 brakes with Guide RS asap.
    The Flite was in the spares box.
    Pedals are Exus something.
    Swapping the Minions for winter tyres soon.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    2017 Banshee Build Thread-dsc_1104-01.jpg

That's with the 34t position closest to the chainstay^. Chainline appears to be 56mm, haven't really checked if that's ideal or not.

Yes LyNx, I'm 6'4" and with long arms. It's got the 142mm dropouts, was going to get 148 but wheelset availability was a slight issue when I ordered. Dropouts are in the slack position, so with the 130mm fork I should have a nice 67 HA!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

New Phantom

2017 Banshee Build Thread-image.jpg

Frame: Phantom size Large
    Fork: Fox 34 Factory at 120mm
    Shock: Fox with Avalanche damper
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm
    Stem: RaceFace atlas 50mm length
    Bar: Renthal Fatbar Lite 35mm rise
    Drivetrain: Shimano XT
    Pedals: Race Face chester
    Brakes: Magura MT5, with new 1 finger lever
    Wheels: Roval Traverse SL Fattie
    Tires: Maxxis Highroller II front, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 rear
    Saddle: Fabric scoop radius

This is a replacement of a mint green phantom that I cracked in a bad crash. Overall, the improvements are small but noticeable. The hydro forming on the top tube and brace look great, the paint finish is an awesome matte, the new DT dropout is good, and the small geometry tweaks means the bike seems to fit me a little better. I'm 6' 0.5" and the little bit of top tube length feels just about right.

The travel in the rear never feels undergunned compared to the front. And in the slack setting, cornering feels amazing! Seemingly no loss in climbing abilities in the slack setting either.

I'm loving it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee Build Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Finally got my XL Spitfire built during late nights last week. Looks good and now its time to set the suspension up to my liking. There will be a 170 mm drop Reverb Stealth installed later this week, too bad they do not come in silver!

2017 Banshee Build Thread-spittyv3xl-2530.jpg

2017 Banshee Build Thread-spittyv3xl-2525.jpg

- Frame: Spitfire XL
    - Fork: Fox 34 factory 150 mm
    - Headset: Banshee
    - Stem: Thomson elite 50 mm
    - Handlebar: Pro Tharsis trail carbon 800 mm
    - Grips: ODI
    - Seat clamp: Banshee
    - Seatpost: Thomson pictured (Reverb 170 mm)
    - Saddle: WTB Volt carbon
    - Brakes: SRAM Guide RSC 160mm rotors
    - Drivetrain: SRAM X01 11 spd
    - Wheelset: Mavic WTS Crossmax Pro 142 mm

Off the back...

Banshee Amp

Not many of us have Amps, but here's mine:
    2017 Banshee Build Thread-2017-03-30-17.02.58.jpg
    Mostly old parts on this, but I think it came together pretty well.

Frame: Banshee Amp, long, raw/purple
    Fork: Rock Shox Argyle
    Brake: Shimano SLX, 160
    Wheels: Hope Pro 2 Evo / Mavic 823
    Tires: Larsen TT 2.0
    Crank: Truvativ Stylo
    BB: GXP
    Chainring: Blackspire N/W 30T
    Cog: Gusset
    Chain: Dura-Ace 10spd
    Pedals: Gusset
    Bar: Easton Havoc Carbon
    Stem: Chromag Hi-Fi
    Grips: Deity
    Seat: Chromag Lynx DT
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

MY17 Banshee Spitfire w/ 26in (for now)

Spitfire build complete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee Build Thread-17796316_10212469167394689_66655151711607487_n.jpg  

2017 Banshee Build Thread-17800331_10212469167354688_9190608264507372416_n.jpg  

2017 Banshee Build Thread-17760009_10212469167434690_1271042391994637153_n.jpg  

2017 Banshee Build Thread-17795776_10212469167474691_3264420970041720219_n.jpg  

Off the back...
    Got my Prime built today:
    2017 Banshee Build Thread-2017-04-11-19.09.45-copy.jpg
    It's orange.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Got my Prime built today:

Name:	2017-04-11 19.09.45 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	1131320
    It's orange.
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    this one's orange too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee Build Thread-prime.jpg  

Off the back...
    Nice!
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    2017 Banshee Build Thread-s1600_20170415_082703.jpg
    2017 Banshee Build Thread-s1600_20170415_082656_01.jpg
    Frame Banshee Spitfire V3 2017 Medium size
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3
    Fork Rock Shox Pike RCT3 160mm
    Headset FSA
    Handlebar Renthal Fatbar Lite 35 20 rise 760 wide
    Stem Easton Haven 35mm 40mm long
    Grips ODI ruffian lock on
    Brakes Hope Technology Tech3 E4 180mm front and rear
    Brake Levers Hope Technology Tech 3 V4
    Shifters SRAM GX1
    Rear Derailleur SRAM GX1
    Chainguide Other 77designz freesolo
    Cranks Race Face Turbine cinch 175mm
    Chainrings / Sprocket Race Face Turbine 11 Speed 30t
    Bottom Bracket Race Face
    Chain SRAM
    Cassette / Rear Cog SRAM X01 10-42
    Pedals DMR Vault
    Front Rim Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow Ex 650b
    Rear Rim Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow EX 650B
    Hubs DT Swiss 350
    Spokes DT Swiss
    Front Tire Maxxis Minnion DHF 3C 2.3
    Rear Tire Maxxis HighRoller II 2.3
    Saddle Specialized Power
    Seatpost RockShox Reverb Stealth 125mm
    Weight : 14 kgs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee Build Thread-20170415_082656%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post

Name:	s1600_20170415_082703.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	1132498

Name:	s1600_20170415_082656_01.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	1132497
    Frame Banshee Spitfire V3 2017 Medium size
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3
    Fork Rock Shox Pike RCT3 160mm
    Headset FSA
    Handlebar Renthal Fatbar Lite 35 20 rise 760 wide
    Stem Easton Haven 35mm 40mm long
    Grips ODI ruffian lock on
    Brakes Hope Technology Tech3 E4 180mm front and rear
    Brake Levers Hope Technology Tech 3 V4
    Shifters SRAM GX1
    Rear Derailleur SRAM GX1
    Chainguide Other 77designz freesolo
    Cranks Race Face Turbine cinch 175mm
    Chainrings / Sprocket Race Face Turbine 11 Speed 30t
    Bottom Bracket Race Face
    Chain SRAM
    Cassette / Rear Cog SRAM X01 10-42
    Pedals DMR Vault
    Front Rim Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow Ex 650b
    Rear Rim Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow EX 650B
    Hubs DT Swiss 350
    Spokes DT Swiss
    Front Tire Maxxis Minnion DHF 3C 2.3
    Rear Tire Maxxis HighRoller II 2.3
    Saddle Specialized Power
    Seatpost RockShox Reverb Stealth 125mm
    Weight : 14 kgs

that is a magnificent build sir!!

mtbr member
    Thought it would end up lighter but you can't feel the 14kg, it just climbs and acelarate so well, very happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

spitty love the Arizona desert!

getting it dialed in for the local rock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee Build Thread-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Thought it would end up lighter but you can't feel the 14kg, it just climbs and acelarate so well, very happy.
    same here, it's a bit of a chunk, but hey so am i but absolutely loves down hill in Arizona

mtbr member
    Yes, it's reassuringly well built , one thing I notest regarding the Transition Patrol that I sell is that I have to be more careful with the rear break, it locks the wheel easier.

Off the back...
    I was out and about on my 2017 Prime today, and I made some observations:
    • ****ing sweet bike
    • able to handle random air very well
    • 34T chainring may be a bit too big
    • confidence inspiring

The only thing that bugged me was the shock, a Monarch Plus. It's set with the low/low tune for rebound and compression damping. Rebound seemed fine, but compression was a little harsh. I ran it open all the time. Used all the travel on a couple of landings without any harsh bottom out. I'm thinking about my options...
    • keep riding for a while to see if it breaks in and mellows out
    • DVO Topaz
    • Fox Float X2
    • CCDBA
    • Put on a Debonair can

Can I make it a little more plush/compliant somehow? The fork [MRP Ribbon] is super tunable, and was almost spot-on with factory settings. I'm coming off an Ibis Mojo HD and Norco Aurum, both with CCDBAs, so that's my frame of reference.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

MTB B'dos
    How heavy are you? If you're on the lighter side of things, that could be the problem. Maybe run some volume spacers so you can drop a few PSI and still have it ramp up more towards the end of the stroke.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I was out and about on my 2017 Prime today, and I made some observations:
    ****ing sweet bike.....The only thing that bugged me was the shock, a Monarch Plus. It's set with the low/low tune for rebound and compression damping. Rebound seemed fine, but compression was a little harsh. I ran it open all the time. Used all the travel on a couple of landings without any harsh bottom out. I'm thinking about my options...

Can I make it a little more plush/compliant somehow? The fork [MRP Ribbon] is super tunable, and was almost spot-on with factory settings. I'm coming off an Ibis Mojo HD and Norco Aurum, both with CCDBAs, so that's my frame of reference.
    MTB Barbados

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    How heavy are you? If you're on the lighter side of things, that could be the problem. Maybe run some volume spacers so you can drop a few PSI and still have it ramp up more towards the end of the stroke.
    I'm 170 pounds, 190 geared up as I was yesterday, which should put me in the sweet spot for suspension settings. I was doing a little more research, and Cane Creek recommends a high volume air can for the Prime, so perhaps the Debonair can is worth a try.