Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc

I know it's only halfway through 2016, but I'm getting excited about what's next for Banshee. I've heard for 2017 that the bikes are trimming a bit of weight through some hydroforming of the front triangle, but that's all I know. Does anyone else out there have any info or sneak peeks to get us Banshee fans frothing?

vko
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    No info yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vko View Post
    No info yet?
    No info will be released before Eurobike, so you'll just have to be patient
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I have info for you:
    2017 Banshee's will continue to kick ass and make all other bikes feel like they have the technical capabilities of a Huffy Sledgehammer.

Please don't put a bottle cage on the Spitfire. Or any of your bikes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    As long as Banshee keeps the great KS-Link, the interchangeable dropouts and the "long-low-slack" geometry I´m fine with everything!

Hydroforming? If it makes the frames easier to construct (f.e. rear-triangle/tubing instead of gussets), same durable but lighter that would be nice.
    Carbon? Maybe carbon-made links or dropouts could be the entry for Banshee introducing this material through their line-up, without overly raising pricing for the frames ... ?!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Our local NZ mountain bike mag had some info about the 2017 spitfire at least - see pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    "its bigger brother the Banshee Dune"

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Shorter seat-tube, steeper effective seat angle, slightly lighter - sounds all good for the MY17 Spitfire. I heavily think I´m in for a new frame next year!
    Looking forward to the new dropout-design. I think the "reduced" two-positions are contributed to the majority of riders using neutral or slack ... ?!?

smartass
    Yeah, sounds all good so far. I just hope they added a bit of length to the reach and TT as well, especially considering the steeper SA.

Agreed on the two geometry positions, doesn't seem like many riders use the steep setting (I know I never have).

I also hope "Boost compatible" dropouts mean they can be either Boost or non-Boost.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    I´m pretty much sure that Banshee will keep the philosophy of giving their customers options on how they want to build up their bikes. So, the boost-dropouts will be additional to the already existing ones, I bet ...

Not sure if there will be a longer effective top tube - the reach and wheelbase will be slightly longer with a steeper seat tube and the current top tube. We will see ...

Nucking Futs
    What a nice feature would be is to go postmount on the dropout. Every other decent frame has allready a postmount support so why not do that.

Also any tweaking of the linkage axles to prevent them from wearing stuff out? Set screws, stronger bolts for more tightness and better locktite would be my best guess of preventing this issue.

Really interrested to see what the '17 Darkside will do, or if a new model is going to be released. Still shredding the first gen. Scythe but like my first gen. Spitfire the suspension stuff is getting old and out dated (blew the dhx in winterberg last sunday, doh!) If you can shave 200 grams on the spitty you could save 300? on the darkside, wouldn't be bad at all.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

MTB B'dos
    Well, hoping they don't mess with the STA on the Phantom, it's already too steep for me, have to use a setback post to get the saddle where I like it. Shorter ST lengths (Paradox for sure) and maybe a tad more Reach on all and slacker HTA on the Paradox with Boost or 150 spacing/clearance to accommodate PLUS tyres. Have always said it, love the replaceable drop outs, makes Banshees very future proof without needing to spend a ton of cash.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well, hoping they don't mess with the STA on the Phantom, it's already too steep for me, have to use a setback post to get the saddle where I like it. Shorter ST lengths (Paradox for sure) and maybe a tad more Reach on all and slacker HTA on the Paradox with Boost or 150 spacing/clearance to accommodate PLUS tyres. Have always said it, love the replaceable drop outs, makes Banshees very future proof without needing to spend a ton of cash.
    Agreed the ST on my Paradox is way longer than it needs to be!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    As 2017 is near launch and 2018 designs are likely done and dusted, I suppose this comment would likely be for 2019...

...I will leave it to those who are much smarter than I on how to best actuate a change, but the handlebar drop from seat level on the Rune is significant. I could be on a size too small (6'2", 36" inseam, on a size Large V2). Even so, with L and XL in general, I think the very small headtube really makes for a significant drop. I currently have 1.5" below the stem to the bearing, a higher rise handlebar, and my seat is easily 5" above my bar.

Although I really liked the slammed stem on headset look on bikes, when it comes to actually riding one, it doesn't work for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason3559 View Post
    As 2017 is near launch and 2018 designs are likely done and dusted, I suppose this comment would likely be for 2019...

...I will leave it to those who are much smarter than I on how to best actuate a change, but the handlebar drop from seat level on the Rune is significant. I could be on a size too small (6'2", 36" inseam, on a size Large V2). Even so, with L and XL in general, I think the very small headtube really makes for a significant drop. I currently have 1.5" below the stem to the bearing, a higher rise handlebar, and my seat is easily 5" above my bar.

Although I really liked the slammed stem on headset look on bikes, when it comes to actually riding one, it doesn't work for me.

I trail and park ride a L Rune and had 35mm of spacer under the stem with 20mm riser bars. Even on my other XL trail bike which is much longer I have a 30mm of spacers and 20mm bars. For taller guys I almost always see a stack above the headset even on long frames UNLESS they have a retarded long head tube which looks horrible and give you no option to lower the bars.

I'm hoping mostly the new Rune is longer and isn't a press fit BB

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, 6'2" here on a 2013 XL Spitfire, with an inch of spacers. I think they can grow the head tubes (on the XL for sure) a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Shorter seat-tube, steeper effective seat angle, slightly lighter - sounds all good for the MY17 Spitfire. I heavily think I´m in for a new frame next year!
    Looking forward to the new dropout-design. I think the "reduced" two-positions are contributed to the majority of riders using neutral or slack ... ?!?
    I agree with everythin you said. 200 grams off the frame will basically kill the "Spitfire is heavy" argument you hear from all the alloy shredders out there.

Shorter seat-tube would likely let me get away with a 150mm dropper instead of 125mm.

Metric shock sizing I wonder?

Long live Banshee bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I really hope they go metric shocks, just to make it more future proof, this is the only thing holding me back on pre order, lighter weight is bonus for me personally, just as long as they still keep it bomb proof, as i have no intention on moving up to the rune, really itching on getting a new banshee, hope they put out a little teaser as i figured they are probably done with the first batch of production, wink wink,

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^^ That's a good point about metric. I guess if the shock guys are eventually going that route and that route only. For the foreseeable future I imagine a killer 7.875 shock will be made though. I guess I'm indifferent, probably wouldn't sway me one way or the other.

Braaap
    The only available metric shocks at the moment are from SRAM. I'll pass on metric for the time being.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i've always liked that Banshee bikes designer have always had the foresight on their design, which makes our bikes less likely to be obsolete to soon, designing towards metric shocks in my opinion is one of them.
    my dream spitfire would be metric shocks and 157x12 compatible rear, hehehe

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We are keeping a cose eye on Metric, but will not be switching this year, as there is still limited avaliability of shock options for customers, while non metric standards will still be around for years to come.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to the 2017 models.

The Prime is all gone all over Europe, and it's time to replace my Niner.
    Yamaguchi School Cyclocross • 907 Fat Bike • Salsa Vaya Travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    that new cane creek coil is going to be perfect for the lighter spitfire,
    i heard the new they lengthened all the new frames,
    i feel almost perfect on the small spitifire with 40mm stem and 780 bars,
    i hope it doesn'y get to long for small riders

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah new Spitfire with the new DBCIL would be awesome...!

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Lenghten the Prime? It already is long bike in every aspect! Though I love mine, I certainly wouldnt want it longer in toptube/reach/wheelbase.
    2500 mile goal for 2016

1,381.6 miles ridden in 2015

1067.7 miles ridden in 2014

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So with one week away until Eurobike, what's everyone's prediction for MY17?
    Here's mine:

- Banshee Rune will go Super Enduro, 170mm of travel both front and back.
    - Exchangeable dropouts remain, providing support for new Boost Standard and such
    - chainstay length shrinks ~10 mm
    - no front derailleur support anymore
    - finally raw color option again!

Keep 'em coming

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If they bring back the Spitfire in the '14 blue I will make Keith breakfast in bed every Sunday for a year.

Desperate to order a new bike/frame but waiting to see what Banshee have to offer next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    upload img

i'll settle for this color scheme complete with badge,

or get an anodized one because i'm crap at keeping it for getting way too may paint chips and scratches,

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I loved my Polished/Orange V1 Paradox, really would be sweet if they brought back the Dual/Split colourways

Quote Originally Posted by zuman View Post
    i'll settle for this color scheme complete with badge,

or get an anodized one because i'm crap at keeping it for getting way too may paint chips and scratches,
    2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-p1060538_fb.jpg
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Chiming for Keith.

I have to build new wheels for my prime and in order to keep'em up to date and compatible for future frames I'd like to know if v2 boost dropouts will ever be made, and in case, reasonably soon available ?

MTB B'dos
    I heard they're in the works right now, but why not just go 150x12 instead, absolutely dishless, strong wheel, great chainline, works excellent with 73mm BB

Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    Chiming for Keith.

I have to build new wheels for my prime and in order to keep'em up to date and compatible for future frames I'd like to know if v2 boost dropouts will ever be made, and in case, reasonably soon available ?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I heard they're in the works right now, but why not just go 150x12 instead, absolutely dishless, strong wheel, great chainline, works excellent with 73mm BB
    It's just for future frame compatibility,and possibility to swap wheels.
    .....the world is insanely going boost direction.....I'd have gladly used 150x12

I Got yer Activity Stream
    I'm with Lynx on this one, since the frame has room for 150mm, that is the best way to go if building a wheel. That's the route I went, and I won't be going back.

However if you have a Boost wheelset or hubs laying around, I can see where boost dropouts would be a benefit. From a marketing perspective, it might bring in a few new buyers if they are looking for a Boost frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i'm guessing that 150 would require more material added to the frame to accommodate it, thus adding more material and weight to the trail bikes.
    there is a very fine balance between strengths/durability versus weight saving that us alum lovers need to have in check,
    give me a bike that i can chuck away when i have to bale out and not to worry too much if my spitfire can take it.

MTB B'dos
    Have you even closely looked at your Spitfire, there are no mods needing to be done to run any of the various axle widths with the replaceable drop outs, the frames are made so that all are just bolt on and go, i.e. stays are wide enough and strong enough and the actual 150x12 drop outs weigh no more than the 142x12 or 135x10 drop outs, not in my hand. Only place you will gain a very small amount of weight is in the hub itself as that is wider than the narrower options.

Quote Originally Posted by zuman View Post
    i'm guessing that 150 would require more material added to the frame to accommodate it, thus adding more material and weight to the trail bikes.
    there is a very fine balance between strengths/durability versus weight saving that us alum lovers need to have in check,
    give me a bike that i can chuck away when i have to bale out and not to worry too much if my spitfire can take it.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm with Lynx on this one, since the frame has room for 150mm, that is the best way to go if building a wheel. That's the route I went, and I won't be going back.

However if you have a Boost wheelset or hubs laying around, I can see where boost dropouts would be a benefit. From a marketing perspective, it might bring in a few new buyers if they are looking for a Boost frame.
    I don't have boost wheel set (yet) but I think I'll pull the trigger on a boost front susp. frame, and I'd like to swap its plus wheels with Prime.
    Here comes the need of boost wheels...... I'd gladly stuck with 142x12
    Also when (read if) I'll change the Prime, the new frame will be quite surely boost, cause this the market will offer.
    just considering if new dropouts will increase chainstay length (27.5 style). Would be nice to have 26"length boost dropouts.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    Chiming for Keith.

I would keep patience, as Eurobike will happen in a few days. All infos will released then.
    So far the MY17 (and following) dropouts seem to have 2-position geo-adjustment vs the 3-position of the current. I would wait how Banshee will come out with the new dropout-desingn and their compability to older frames.
    Apart from that, if I were you I would keep the 142x12 or go with the 150x12.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    I would keep patience, as Eurobike will happen in a few days. All infos will released then.
    So far the MY17 (and following) dropouts seem to have 2-position geo-adjustment vs the 3-position of the current. I would wait how Banshee will come out with the new dropout-desingn and their compability to older frames.
    Apart from that, if I were you I would keep the 142x12 or go with the 150x12.
    nonsense to go 150 for future frame compatibility. Sure I'll wait news, just hope they'll be older frames frendly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Eurobike is on, cannot find any Banshee news, anyone that has?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CastorTroll View Post
    Eurobike is on, cannot find any Banshee news, anyone that has?

...........feverishly checking MTBR every 10 minutes...........

Can't wait for goods to drool over!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You too ?!!?!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    And me.

Got all excited when I noticed this thread had new replies.

mtbr member
    Legend and Darkside looks pretty similar to this years lineup

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    And where is the Spitfire ??

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    @Samos these are not my pictures, just found them in the Internet. I'm also very curious about the spitfire. Hope for pictures soon

mtbr member
    I can't take it, I need to see the new Rune!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Can see Prime in foreground and rune and spitfire in background here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJx5su2gJq6/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast