Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Talkin about '18 what I'd really like to see from banshee is a 29+ like the STACHE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yeah, but what amount of drop does that have, 150mm? You can very safely now go for 250mm when that gets released Honestly, I've never had stand over issues on my Banshee FS bikes, my XL has enough stand over clearance that people 5'8" were test riding it without issue, now the Paradox on the other hand, that could have done with more room.
    Paradox is pretty damned bad and the seat tube is longer than it needed to be!

Planning on replacing mine soon. So many better suited HT frames out there with a long reach now.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

MTB B'dos
    Yes, I think they realise that there was lots to do to it if it was to stay viable, hence none for 2017, maybe a return in 2018, if not 2019 with some serious tweaks
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    Talkin about '18 what I'd really like to see from banshee is a 29+ like the STACHE
    I will give that the Reach is a bit on the shorter side these days, it's about as short as I can go and I'm only 6'2" on the XL and definitely the jewel clearance even with my 35.25" inseam is quite clearance. I think Reach measurements to mirror the Phantom or Prime, an inch off the ST length and hence more stand over and a slightly slacker HTA to 67 static with a 120mm fork, would bring this right back up to where it was when it was basically one of only a couple HTs with much more forward thinking geo than most of the time. Still loving mine converted to a PLUS machine - was running full B+ F&R , but recently switched to a 29x2.5" DHF up front and liking that even more, would really like Maxxis to release a 29x2.6" Rekon
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Paradox is pretty damned bad and the seat tube is longer than it needed to be!
    Planning on replacing mine soon. So many better suited HT frames out there with a long reach now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

You need 18.2 chainstays
    No picks, but think the ones posted earlier in the thread were XLs, just with shorter ST, they may not look it. The big question is, is yours the pre-production version or the first production version? If it's the first production version all you'll gain is 7mm in Reach, but you'll also gain a 1.3" shorter ST so you could run a longer dropper post. If it's the PP version, then you'll gain just about 10mm Reach, the 1.3" shorter ST and a major weight drop of about 1.5-2lbs on the frame.
    Curious how tall you are and what inseam? Long femurs?
    I'm on a production 2013 model. I'm a little better than 6'2", longish in the torso and less so in regards to legs. And long arms. My 2013 Prime is the biggest bike I've ever owned and it's been a godsend in that area, but apparently I'm a bit freakish in I always feel better one solid size up from general sizing guidelines on any bike. And unlike any normal person of my height, I really would like a little more ETT than what I have now. And yet Rideverything is 6'4" and has done it all on his 2013 with no complaints about size.

I have no issues with seat post length one way or the other. With my dropper collar all the way down, I can get all the way behind the seat and buzz my butt on the tire (not that I ever need to in TX). So shorter is not really needed.

I have crunched numbers on the gen 1 / 2 / 3 Primes (along with other bikes) in excruciating detail. Based on the info I have, the 2016 gen 2 bikes gained 5mm / .2in in the entire front of the bike, and then another 5mm / .2in in 2017. The good news for me is that Works Components just released a headset that increases the reach / ETT by 5mm. So after careful consideration of this and of the other long travel 29ers, I ended up buying a 2016 XL frame. I can run the 150 dropouts, and for trips the mountains, a 160 fork and some offset shock bushings should give me geo aggressive enough to ride anything I have any business riding. With the Works headset, I will have enough ETT to be perfectly fine, if not ideal.

Frankly, I will be happy to have a spare Prime frame around. I will probably end up configuring the 2013 a little more to the XC side with a 140 fork, mid setting on the chips, and longer stem. And the 2016 set up bigger for the rougher trails around here, and trips to the mountains.
    2016 Banshee Prime, 6-speed

The Mountain Bike Life
    The Thomson comes with 125mm. Looking at either the 175 or 200mm Fall line for my next ride...whatever that may be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    The Thomson comes with 125mm. Looking at either the 175 or 200mm Fall line for my next ride...whatever that may be.
    This is why we have made the seatube lengths slightly shorter, as more and more viable long travel droppers are coming on the market.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    This is why we have made the seatube lengths slightly shorter, as more and more viable long travel droppers are coming on the market.
    Looking forward to ride a Vecnum Moveloc 200 in my ordered Prime XL frame. I need about 270-280 mm of uninterrupted length in the seat tube - hopefully it will fit...

mtbr member
    I've got a '17 XL Prime and a 200mm 9point8 post. With my 34" inseam I'm going to have to reduce the travel on my post by 10 to 15mm (easy to do with 9point8, just have to order a kit). It seems that the the bend in the seat tube does limit the depth of the longer travel posts unfortunately.
    If you are of the longer legged tall folks you should be okay - 36"+.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    I've got a '17 XL Prime and a 200mm 9point8 post. With my 34" inseam I'm going to have to reduce the travel on my post by 10 to 15mm (easy to do with 9point8, just have to order a kit). It seems that the the bend in the seat tube does limit the depth of the longer travel posts unfortunately.
    If you are of the longer legged tall folks you should be okay - 36"+.
    Could you please measure the uninterrupted length of the seat tube by measuring the total length a seatpost can be pushed into the frame?

And could you please post a photo of your frame? I've never seen a XL frame of a 2017 Prime!

mtbr member
    So it maxes out at 260mm insertion, which is less than what it looks like you need unfortunately.
    Started a new thread for 2017 builds, got a couple of pics there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So it maxes out at 260mm insertion, which is less than what it looks like you need unfortunately.
    Started a new thread for 2017 builds, got a couple of pics there.
    Bad news for me... The seatpost is already here, I was on the wait list for 2 years. Keith posted 270 mm of uninterrupted length for 17' Prime a few pages before.

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc

mtbr member
    Well, if I really forced it in I can get another 5mm. I just would prefer to have a little leeway. Another 10mm would be nice for sure though. What saddle are you using? I know I could go with a lower profile saddle than what I am running and get another 10 to 15mm.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well, if I really forced it in I can get another 5mm. I just would prefer to have a little leeway. Another 10mm would be nice for sure though. What saddle are you using? I know I could go with a lower profile saddle than what I am running and get another 10 to 15mm.
    My seatpost is 30,9 mm outer diameter and I have to use a shim because of this, maybe I can get those additional 5 mm easier. I ride a Specialized Henge saddle.

mtbr member
    I would guess that you will be able to get the extra insertion you need with the smaller diameter post. I can slide in a 30.9 post and see how far down it goes. Won't be entirely accurate as I don't have a shim though.

Ed: Just checked, easily dropped down to 285mm without pushing down. You should be good!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would guess that you will be able to get the extra insertion you need with the smaller diameter post. I can slide in a 30.9 post and see how far down it goes. Won't be entirely accurate as I don't have a shim though.

Ed: Just checked, easily dropped down to 285mm without pushing down. You should be good!
    Thank you very much! You saved my day!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakeyras View Post
    As promised, some pics in daylight:

First ride today and it felt amazing.
    Sunshine, -3°C and frozen trails. Size Large ist a perfect fit with a 35mm Stem. (I am 1,79m with 83,5cm inseam). KS-Link works amazing; felt definitely not just like 140mm travel. Climbs well (way better than my old ride)

cheers
    Georg
    i ordered the same frame color too and cant wait to get it and move all my parts over to it. hopefully my red hubs and bits will match well with the ruby on the turquoise frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kanobee View Post
    i ordered the same frame color too and cant wait to get it and move all my parts over to it. hopefully my red hubs and bits will match well with the ruby on the turquoise frame
    Nice man. That's a sweet color. I can't wait to see more photos of the 2017s. Really interested in seeing the Yellow Runes and Orange Primes in the wild.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    those stickers would look good on the black frame also

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Good choice. Looking forward to seeing your build.

Got to post a recent pic of mine. Switched to a Marzocchi 053 S3C2R on the back and exchanged my Spike riser for a race face sixc carbon bar (black/grey, since the turquoise option unfortunately didn't match the frame color). Maybe I'll get a F34 fit4 in the next weeks. Let's see if I can get it to sub 14kg.... (probably won't; more like 14.2...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    here we go. awesome weather and dry trails yesterday:

F34 is on the way...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakeyras View Post
    here we go. awesome wether [/url]

F34 is on the way...
    HI there,what didn't you like on the RS Monarch shock?I'm waiting for an M sized the same colour as yours

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's no t that the Monarch was bad, but it isn't outstanding either. The 3 LSC settings are not very distinct. Initial breakaway force is pretty high. Feels a bit sluggish sometimes
    The zocchi is more active / lively. Initial breakaway force is not really perceptible. Really good small bump sensitivity, but rides rather high in travel, good midstroke support. Lock out is quite firm.

Bought it on a whim, though. Turns out it was a good bet...

mtbr member
    I have a Monarch on 1 bike and a monarch plus debonair on another. The plus debonair is sooooo much nice.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good review of the new Spitfire here (if you're on Facebook)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...02595099799170

Interesting that they say there is some twist in the front triangle from the downtube. The Prime looks to have a bigger and more square profile DT so would resist this better. Wish they had reviewed the Prime instead, I'm torn between that and a 2017 Fuel!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davosaurusrex View Post

Interesting that they say there is some twist in the front triangle from the downtube. The Prime looks to have a bigger and more square profile DT so would resist this better. Wish they had reviewed the Prime instead, I'm torn between that and a 2017 Fuel!
    I ordered a M sized with a Monarch Plus RC3 to replace my Transition patrol ,hope it becomes below 13.5kg ( Pike,RF cranks,and lighter components then on that review)

26 for life.
    Soon...

It's got as far as the LBS. I just need time to get in there, but it's crazy time in the winery.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Honestly I believe they are mistaken about the twist. the new front triangles are stiffer than the old ones, and the spitfire was always one of the stiffest trail bikes going. I suspect it was the fork or tires causing this feeling as you should never ever feel a frame twisting, let alone a banshee!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Probably Guy Kesteven's work, he doesn't half write some old bollocks. I remember him saying the DW Sultans had some frame flex in the front triangle, I had one and always thought it was rock solid.

Am I correct in saying the Prime has a bigger downtube than the Spitfire though?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The prime and rune do have bigger downtubes than the spitfire to cope with longer forks and expected loadings.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

MTB B'dos
    Most definitely, the TT on the Prime is nearly the same size as the DT on the Phantom (Spitty) and then the DT is proportionate to that. or at least from my recollection. Never heard of anyone complaining about any Banshee being anything but rock solid, even guys that are 230lbs>

Probably Guy Kesteven's work, he doesn't half write some old bollocks. I remember him saying the DW Sultans had some frame flex in the front triangle, I had one and always thought it was rock solid.

Am I correct in saying the Prime has a bigger downtube than the Spitfire though?

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    honestly i believe they are mistaken about the twist. The new front triangles are stiffer than the old ones, and the spitfire was always one of the stiffest trail bikes going. I suspect it was the fork or tires causing this feeling as you should never ever feel a frame twisting, let alone a banshee!
    This!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Nice man. That's a sweet color. I can't wait to see more photos of the 2017s. Really interested in seeing the Yellow Runes and Orange Primes in the wild.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    Interesting.... White crown and black lowers, not seen that done before.

You need 18.2 chainstays
    POW!! Nice.

mtbr member
    Ride any different than your old rune?

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That looks sweet!! How do you like the Mattoc??

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    That looks sweet!! How do you like the Mattoc??
    I love the Mattoc. I just installed an IRT in it, and it went from good to great.

26 for life.
    Very Soon...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    Very Soon...
    Much excite! Dang that is a looker. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very Soon...

Can't wait to see it finished!!

26 for life.
    Built.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice one!

If I were you I would get rid of those red RS decals. The colours just don't match.

Either Stealth Decals, no Decals or perhaps turquoise or Ruby Decals in matching colours.

EDIT : according to Keith, Pantone codes are PMS320 for turquoise and PMS676 for Ruby

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Built.
    cant wait to get mine!! almost the exact some build too

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Le boing.

Not my bike, just happened across it.
    Leeloo the Rune - chainlinebikes's Bike Check - Vital MTB

Braaap

Matte turquoise, pretty cool color!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-p5pb14557349.jpg  

Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post

Matte turquoise, pretty cool color!
    I there,can foi post more pics of that build,eagerly waiting for my frame.
    Last edited by bullit43; 03-30-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Correc

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-img_4037.jpg2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-img_4041.jpg2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-img_4042.jpg

It's here and ready to start my build. Thanks Ethan and the Dirt Merchant crew!!

26 for life.
    Very nice, if I do say so myself. Which Monarch plus did you get?

MTB B'dos
    Should be a very nice build, bet you'll be looking for every opportunity to ride it

Little reminder, it's April already, think it's time to take down the x-mas tree :-p
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4037.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	1130245
    It's here and ready to start my build. Thanks Ethan and the Dirt Merchant crew!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Should be a very nice build, bet you'll be looking for every opportunity to ride it

Little reminder, it's April already, think it's time to take down the x-mas tree :-p
    LOL that xmas tree is a permanent part of my desk deco now since it's been up for three plus years bwhahaha

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very nice, if I do say so myself. Which Monarch plus did you get?
    thank you! looking forward to completing this ride as well.. the rear shock is the Monarch Plus RC3

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    New build complete!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-17796316_10212469167394689_66655151711607487_n.jpg  

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-17800331_10212469167354688_9190608264507372416_n.jpg  

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-17760009_10212469167434690_1271042391994637153_n.jpg  

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-17795776_10212469167474691_3264420970041720219_n.jpg  

Last edited by kanobee; 04-07-2017 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is my new XL Spitfire in Raw. Some changes has been made, Reverb 170 mm, chainstay protectors etc.

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-spittyv3xl-2530.jpg

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-spittyv3xl-2525.jpg
    Last edited by baramats; 04-09-2017 at 12:21 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^These two rigs are really getting me itchy to build a new spitty. Nice work guys.

I'm loving the raw/blue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    anybody know if the prime from 2016 can fit 27plus wheels?

26 for life.
    thank you! looking forward to completing this ride as well.. the rear shock is the Monarch Plus RC3
    Which tune & aircan?
    I've got the M/M tune & HV can. Running 30% sag in the steep setting, but might try 25% sag in the slack setting.
    Only managed 3 rides so far, so a bit of tuning to do.

MTB B'dos
    Both the Prime and Phantom will actually fit 29+ if you use the 650B drop outs, B+ fits, nothing extra needed, how big you can go is all dependent on what terrain and conditions you ride in. Me personally 2.8" is good, fits with gobs of room in both, but I only like the setup on the Prime, prefer regular 29x2.3/4" setup for the Phantom, as of right now being that I tried the Nobby Nic 2.8"s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
    anybody know if the prime from 2016 can fit 27plus wheels?

mtbr member
    Delete please, double post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170410_100933.jpg  

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170410_101543.jpg  

Last edited by bullit43; 04-14-2017 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member

Medium sized Spitfire

Here´s mine,medium size probably finished tomorrow.

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170410_100933.jpg
    2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170410_101543.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Not quite finished, still waiting on a new shock and a few other parts to arrive to make the colors match a little better.
    2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-img_20170409_115337.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

so far so good

got to take the new Spitfire out for a little ride yesterday and it was perfect!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-17838669_10100751953666041_84607056_o-san-tan-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Which tune & aircan?
    I've got the M/M tune & HV can. Running 30% sag in the steep setting, but might try 25% sag in the slack setting.
    Only managed 3 rides so far, so a bit of tuning to do.
    honestly this is my first rock shox and know tons about Fox but not much on these. i dont know other than it has a L/L blue and red sticker on it. i'll have to dig around some to see. i rode it this weekend and it felt really nice paired up with the MRP 160mm Stage fork

mtbr member
    Hi, I received e M size with M/L running and LV can

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Hi, I received e M size with M/L running and LV can
    so what does the M/L mean? mine says L/L

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    ok so im understanding that i have a standard air can with a low rebound and low compression build. i'm about 210lb ride ready with about 205 psi in the shock set to 30% and it felt pretty damn nice out here in the arizona desert so far

mtbr member
    M ( red) medium rebound and L (blue) low compression

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    M ( red) medium rebound and L (blue) low compression
    here's a question, how do we end up with different tunes for the same bike frame? arent the tunes based off the bikes suspension requirements? or did you specify a certain tune when you ordered your frame? curious..

mtbr member
    The only reason I could find is because of the frame size,Large with more compression and M with lower compression

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The only reason I could find is because of the frame size,Large with more compression and M with lower compression
    with both have med spitfires though and mines a L/L tune.. well i'm just gonna ride it. from the quick ride i did yesterday it feels amazing to what i had in the past so far, nothing but smiles right now

You need 18.2 chainstays
    Quote Originally Posted by dcalabrese22 View Post
    Not quite finished, still waiting on a new shock and a few other parts to arrive to make the colors match a little better.

Name:	IMG_20170409_115337.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	1130993
    Nice. Is that an XL?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Nice. Is that an XL?
    Yep.

mtbr member
    The colour it's not accurate because is a powerful street lamp

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170411_203142-01.jpg

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170411_203109-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The colour it's not accurate because is a powerful street lamp

Name:	20170411_203142-01.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	1131252

Name:	20170411_203109-01.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	1131254
    that is a magnificent beast sir!!!

mtbr member
    2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170412_073744.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-20170412_112420-0-.jpg  

Last edited by bullit43; 04-18-2017 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Paulo,
    Your tune is correct, Spitfire are spec’d with the M/L tune.

RS spec
    RS MNRP RC3 200X57 ML

Thanks for riding Banshee bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey Paulo,
    Your tune is correct, Spitfire are spec’d with the M/L tune.

RS spec
    RS MNRP RC3 200X57 ML

Thanks for riding Banshee bikes
    so does that mean i need to contact someone regarding my L/L tune and get another rear shock?

mtbr member
    I'm afraid so

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    wow - that's a good looking machine!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm afraid so
    I sent an email to Keith (he's out on vacation) to ask about the tune i received on my med spitfire. i should know some thing a week or so.

You need 18.2 chainstays
    Just my .02. I'd go L/L on a KS link bike all day long. Interesting that they spec a M/L. I'd ride the bike and see if you really want more compression damping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just my .02. I'd go L/L on a KS link bike all day long. Interesting that they spec a M/L. I'd ride the bike and see if you really want more compression damping.
    It's not compression damping, it's rebound damping that is mixed up. Low rebound damping is not good for heavier rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    It's not compression damping, it's rebound damping that is mixed up. Low rebound damping is not good for heavier rider.
    i've heard back from Banshee and they said the a L/L tune came with 2016 models and the 2017 came with M/M tunes. Not sure how i ended up with a last year model tune :/ but i'll see how it actually performs today on South Mountain at lunch today. it's as set up as it can be on my local trails so now the true test. if it's doesn't work i'll start trying to see what needs to happen to get it changed out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    First serious ride for 3 hours and total RockShox fail. The Monarch got stuck down half way into its travel and newly bled Reverb stopped working. Probably managed to break the remote somehow when riding, but it has always been leaking oil.

The bike looks cool with 63 degree head angle, but it is quite useless.

Immediately going back to CC IL but I think the Reverb can be fixed. Not a good day for the RockShox brand

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-img_9159.jpg

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-img_9160.jpg

The Fox34 is amazing so far.

26 for life.
    My Monarch just got stuck down as well. Too much grease in the air can when they built it, blocks the pressure equalisation port.
    Popped it open & cleaned it up & it's all good.

DT.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Is the can on the spitfire a solo air or debonair? I'm a bit confused about stickers vs the actual air can which according to this article, makes it seems like all these pictures are the debonair based on the air can being the same diameter all the way along.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/-rocks...ocks-2014.html

26 for life.
    The one above looks like a standard volume. Mine is the high volume which fatter in the middle. I think the Debonair is fatter all the way along like an extended HV.
    It'd be great if rock shox had a few more pictures of the different options.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I own a 2017 Banshee Prime. Ordered it with the CC DB Air CS but got the Monarch shock first because of a mistake. Because of this I had the possibility to test both shocks in my bike. Monarch+ has a standard air can (smallest) and ML tune. CC DB Air CS has the XVol air can and no spacer inside. So far so good.

Monarch+
    - Very good riding feel with correct sag
    - Good mistroke support
    - With my riding style no chance to use all the travel (5 mm left at the shaft of the shock) so very good shock for hard riding!
    - For my preference i would try to change the standard air can to a larger can (HV not Debon Air)

CC DB Air CS
    - With correct sag and suggested settings I use way to much travel in berms and all the travel when doing my jumps at my home trail (I could never do that with the Monarch+)
    - Will try to add some spacers to the XVol air can

Could anybody explain me why the frame is delivered with a small air can when you choose the RockShox option and with a huge air can when you choose the CC option? There is a smaller can available for DB air and wouldn't fit that can better to the Prime?

You need 18.2 chainstays
    I had a CC inline with a smaller can and spacers on my 2013 frame. My 2016 has CCDB Air with X-vol can and no spacers.

Not really a huge fan of the XV can. Actually it's fine for just general trail riding, and I am able to use all the travel pretty easily. However on any kind of drop to flat (I'm talking about even 1 or 2 feet where both wheels land at the same time) it blows right through the travel. I could probably cure that by turning up the high-speed compression, but I think that will make it harsh. To the shocks credit, it doesn't bottom harshly, but it goes right through the travel and ramps up only near the very bottom. I am running the minimum sag of 13mm.

So I will be adding spacers to mine as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have a Banshee Spitfire (2017) and I am considering a Manitou McLeod as rear shock

Will be this shock OK for this bike?

The other option is the CC Inline
    Last edited by mcbein77; 05-07-2017 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I had a CC inline with a smaller can and spacers on my 2013 frame. My 2016 has CCDB Air with X-vol can and no spacers.

Not really a huge fan of the XV can. Actually it's fine for just general trail riding, and I am able to use all the travel pretty easily. However on any kind of drop to flat (I'm talking about even 1 or 2 feet where both wheels land at the same time) it blows right through the travel. I could probably cure that by turning up the high-speed compression, but I think that will make it harsh. To the shocks credit, it doesn't bottom harshly, but it goes right through the travel and ramps up only near the very bottom. I am running the minimum sag of 13mm.

So I will be adding spacers to mine as well.
    I made the same oberservations. XV can without spacers is no option for the Prime. A lot of people in a German forum switched to the normal can for Prime and Rune. Can't understand how it can be recommended...
    I added more and more spacers in the last week and at the moment I have 2 large spacers and 2 small spacers (got them from the DB inline of my girlfriend). Today I had a great ride, I still can use all the travel but I need plenty of force to do that. HSC is still at the default setting of 2 turns.

Another question: Doing the curb test to set LSR I had to set 24 clicks from fully open so there is just 1 click left. I don't understand how I can be that far away from the base tune? My weight is about 90 kg geared.

mtbr member
    Not sure why they spec banshee bikes with the large volume shocks

You need 18.2 chainstays
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Another question: Doing the curb test to set LSR I had to set 24 clicks from fully open so there is just 1 click left. I don't understand how I can be that far away from the base tune? My weight is about 90 kg geared.
    I don't really know the answer, but I start with everything wide open, and just dial in what I need to cure bad habits. With the inline IIRC I had 2-3 clicks of LSR and HSR. So far with the CCDB I currently have all rebound wide open. I might dial a little in as I can feel the bike buck occasionally, but I'm really not having any major issues. The CCDB seems to have more base damping built in, which makes sense as it is more mountain oriented. I'm in Texas and we do have some chunk, but mostly I'm trying to get more pop out of it and faster rebound helps with that. Coming down a real mountain at high speeds I'm sure I will want more control and less pop.

The Prime doesn't seem to need any help from the shock in the pedaling department, so I don't even factor that in to shock tuning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    Rolling off the curb while seated to set the rebound? I think that is HSR

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmj View Post
    Rolling off the curb while seated to set the rebound? I think that is HSR
    It's both. A good explanation and visualisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRb...7ySEAv&index=6

I used those how-to's to correctly set rebound damping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiHQd4mzl3Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjql1kExvCE

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Increase your HSR, you will see that it has a much bigger impact on the rebound stroke.
    After that you can reduce your LSR quite a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lakekeman View Post
    Increase your HSR, you will see that it has a much bigger impact on the rebound stroke.
    After that you can reduce your LSR quite a bit.
    Thanks for the advice! Any ideas how to set LSR correctly for my weight if the curb test is mainly for HSR?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Honestly... I don't really rate the 'curb test'. Yes you can aim for a critically damped shock under those situations (or very slughtly under damped as I believe he suggests), but what hight is the curb? how much travel does your bikes have? how much is used when going off the curb? Does your shock stay in LSR region, or does it go into HSR zone? It's a bit generic in my opinion, and not very representative of real riding.

I feel that you are FAR better off following the tuning guidelines that cane creek advise, which are related to actually riding the bike on trails where your legs act as suspension and your bodyweight is no longer acting as a fixed mass attached to the frame.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I feel that you are FAR better off following the tuning guidelines that cane creek advise, which are related to actually riding the bike on trails where your legs act as suspension and your bodyweight is no longer acting as a fixed mass attached to the frame.
    Thank you Keith! I'll definitely do that! Having a shock with that much settings will take some time to get used to. I used the curb test to get a good starting point for the rebound setting because imho rebound is highly dependent of the rider weight so a general setting is difficult.

What's your opinion regarding the size of the air can specifically for the Prime? With no spacers inside I was blowing through the travel on smaller steps, berms and so on, even with 1 large spacer. Why it is suggested to start without spacers in the base tune?

By the way: I love my new bike! Waiting was definitely worth it!

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-170416-1621_dsc_1355_e01.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cool photo... I'm trying to work out how you balanced that.

With the cane creek tune, the testers seemed to prefer a heavily damped setup for the conditions that they were riding in those days... many peiple do seem to like what I would call a heavily damped setup which does not require as much support from the air pressure during bottom out. If you want more support then adding volume spacers is the way to go, and is very easy to do. Personally I like progressive setups and run multiple spacers.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cool photo... I'm trying to work out how you balanced that.
    Well, that photo is photoshopped... I used a simple stick, visible here. But it was still a challenge to align everything perfectly - it was a windy day.

2017 Banshee bikes: News, rumours, speculation etc-170416-1620_dsc_1351.jpg

I have to make new photos after swapping the shock...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast