Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

2016 banshee spitfire

Who has built up a 2016? Let's see some pics and build specs. What works what doesn't. I generally would like a more current thread too.
    Last edited by wfo922; 10-21-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I built mine up last night, no pics yet. CCDB inline, New (650b) Pikes & superstar Tesla / Ryde wheelset, swapped all the other stuff over from my old Heckler. I took off the splined ISCG mount and had a mini issue with getting the spacers right to stop the RF Turbine crank wobbling, I used 1x 2.5mm spacer and one a bit thinner, maybe 2mm. My only gripe is the cabling for a front mech on the underside of the downtube and bottle bosses, seem a waste of effort and stops me putting a nice big strip of helitape on. Only took it out for a quick spin in the dark, whilst a bit drunk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice. Sounds like the build process went smooth. Just received news that my frame should show next week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Waiting on my 2016 frame arriving as a warranty replacement for my cracked 2015. Cannot wait, been a long 2 weeks so far. I've asked for a Gun metal one so look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Parky1 View Post
    Waiting on my 2016 frame arriving as a warranty replacement for my cracked 2015. Cannot wait, been a long 2 weeks so far. I've asked for a Gun metal one so look forward to seeing one in the flesh.
    Slightly OT, but how and where did your 2015 crack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Slightly OT, but how and where did your 2015 crack?
    It cracked along the weld on the bridge that goes between seat tube and down tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    2016 banshee spitfire-p5pb12826749.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scruff0372 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb12826749.jpg 
Views:	1160 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	1024357
    Nice build...
    I cannot really see the new proportions on the picture... but nice stealthy look...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    2016 banshee spitfire-20151009_110225-1_resized.jpg

26" Dropouts, 650B 150mm Pike, Monarch Debonair
    Stans Arch EX on Hope hubs
    Renthal bars and Stem

Had three rides out so far and love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Anyone weigh their frame before building it up?

mtbr member
    2014 Spitfire L size, Banshee Munro headset, rear axle and 26" 142x12 dropouts, banshee seat collar = 3.9kg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My warranty replacement frame has arrived at bike shop :-) Collecting it tomorrow. Will get some pics up when I've rebuilt her in next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here she is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not totally finished. Still need to purchase a remote dropper post and taller rise bars. Stack height is way low. First ride was good, super stoked so far.

2016 banshee spitfire-img_2613.jpg2016 banshee spitfire-img_2601.jpg

Braaap
    Nice, great looking build! 150mm or 160mm up front?
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have it set at 160

mtbr member
    Can someone give me a ride impression between the spitfire and the rune? I know I know travel is different... geo is different... whole another animal... but I"m looking for a trail bike for those days I'm not puckering up the entire way down.

I've also looked at Knolly Endorphin, Rockymountain Thunderbolt, Santa Cruz 5010, Yeti 5C.... Trying to stay at 27.5... Any input would be great! Thanks.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large NS Essentric ALU
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '14 Large Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just finished my Spitfire.

It fits with Surly Dirt Wizard Tires at 2.75 x 26.

2016 banshee spitfire-img_8356.jpg2016 banshee spitfire-img_8361.jpg2016 banshee spitfire-img_8362.jpg
    Bartok Roxas MD

Nucking Futs
    Picked this up just a few hours ago, thanks too the guys from Berg Ab in germany!

2016 banshee spitfire-p5pb13379629.jpg

This frame is absolutly amazing, the suspension cycles so smooth and beautiful. True work of art can't wait to ride it.

Will need some time to get a new fork and make the hard decision to keep it 2x9 (yes as long as it works don't fix it stupid) or go 1x11. Seriously i've been out of biking a good 3 years and eveything I have except the seatpost is outdated...Bless you Banshee for sticking with us 26" riders!
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    I´m still running a 2x9 drivetrain, as it works great for me for many years. So don´t worry about that, in case you don´t like 1x11.
    Apart from this: I took every part from my previous Wildcard to the Spitfire in the first build. Thanks to the forks 1/18 steerer there were plenty of choices for a headset, which was one of the very few new parts.
    Nothing is outdated because of being 3 (or more) years old ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yellow frame, so hot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm loving seeing all your spitfire builds here.

Just wanted to do a bit of forum research with you all if you don't mind... since you have spitfires and have had time on them... what is your opinion on the ammount of travel the frame offers. Do you have any desire for more, or for less, or is it just right for you?

Likewise for geometry... any changes you would like to see in future itterations?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Keith
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    2016 banshee spitfire-image1.jpg
    Here's my 2016 Spitfire. It rules. By far the best bike I've owned and it can hang with much bigger bikes in the heavy, steep stuff.
    What would I change about it?
    I'd like a touch a more travel, maybe 150mm, a slacker headangle and the option to lengthen the chainstays with a long set of 650b dropouts. A carbon rear triangle would be rad, but unlikely I guess – it would be good to lower that unsprung weight. Maybe a titanium bolt kit for the rear triangle?

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Just wanted to do a bit of forum research with you all if you don't mind... ... any changes you would like to see in future itterations?
    Hey Keith,
    Saw your similar post on the Prime thread. I can cover both bikes!

I'm currently splitting my ride time between a 27.5 2014 spitfire and Evil Following. Both have identical pimp builds. As you know I owned 2 primes prior to that.

#1 change I would like to see is a way to put a waterbottle inside the front triangle. Sort of a big deal to me since I never ride with a pack anymore unless the rides are 4hrs+ or overnight.

#2 would be improved QC/Alignment tolerances and possibly larger bearings.

These are the only areas where I prefer my Evil over my Banshee Spitfire. That's it really....nitpicking. I REALLY love the spitfire. I am faster and more confidant on it than I am on the Evil Following. It's better for me on the DH and climbs nearly as well. I think a lot of that is just the wheelsize & wheelbase relative to my height (175cm).

Carbon. Most of my crew is on carbon bikes now. For me, it's not about lighter weight. I see the main advantage as consistency with alignment & tolerances, and stiffness without additional weight.

Spitfire geometry is dialed (probably better on the 2016), I love the cable routing, the drop-outs are great especially with ever-changing standards. I could care less about boost or plus tires. I preferred the die-cut decals over the newer painted-over ones.

So yeah... my ultimate dream bike would be a 27.5" spitfire, carbon, with a waterbottle cage inside the front triangle!

Nucking Futs
    Hi FM,

In the review of pinkbike on the spitfire Keith has a few good words to say about carbon. Basicly it's still too costly for such small frame numbers and the crash-ability of carbon is 0. Take a good tumble down a rock garden and I wouldn't trust my frame. A few dents in aluminum tubing can't hurt. The weight and stiffness penalty i'm taking for granted, only tollerance would be a key thing to improve no matter what your designing.

I would suggest putting the upper link bearings inside the frame to fool-proof the design. If there are allready '16 frames wearing out beceause this axle gets loose it's not going to build a very solid durable reputation and might even hurt Banshee's overall rep. in the long run. That would be a total waste ofcourse. The stuff you guys make should last for years to come without needing service every 3 months.

It would be really awesome to get a wildcard-like frame back. A lighter version of the darkside with 160 mm travel. Or a freeride/ park version of the rune.

Also agree about them decals, they don't have a sharp edge, rather blurry low quality looking. Would be nice to see them like the '11 frame's. Other than this just keep doing what you do!
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    In the review of pinkbike on the spitfire Keith has a few good words to say about carbon. Basicly it's still too costly for such small frame numbers and the crash-ability of carbon is 0. Take a good tumble down a rock garden and I wouldn't trust my frame.

Oh I get the cons of Carbon- and it sucks environmentally too.

pro of carbon for me is better tolerances and alignment. If the tolerances or alignment on the bearing bores are off, bearings don't rotate and you get the pivot issues. I don't think this problem is limited to Banshee at all- I rented an intense on vacation last year and the welds were ridiculously bad. So to me the #1 pro of carbon is that every frame comes out identically.

The durabilty is a non-issue. I've got too many friends racing, going huge, crashing, nobody has had an issue with their carbon bikes. At Evil HQ (near me) they've got a swing-arm you can take a hammer too- it's bomb-proof. Also part of the reason their frames aren't much lighter than Alu. That's doing it right.

Bottom line, I need my next frame to be straight and tight, and I think Carbon is an easier way for manufacturers to get there.
    Last edited by FM; 04-29-2016 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Keith and everybody,

As a 2014 Spitfire owner, the first issue I had was solved with the 2016; more reach. I have no idea how the suspension could be better. Don't touch it to much. Keep also the changeable dropouts.

The main concern for me is the weight. But you have to improve the weight without loosing the bombproof durability. My 2014 Spitty is weighing a nice 13.5 kg, but to come down some hundreds of grams would be nice.

I have no opinion now on 27.5+ or 29 wheels. But as I know, you will for sure make it possible for a New Phantom. I think you should keep the Spitfire for 26 and 27.5 wheels. If 27.5+ also faisable is?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hi Keith and all,
    I would like to see a higher stack. I bought a 2013 XL guestimating the numbers and it was too big. I had a 35mm stem on it. I had to sell it and buy a 2014 L which has a 60 length stem with a rise. I probably need a 70 mm stem, but that would be my 4th stem. I have a full set of spacers on it and a 50mm rise handlebar. I find myself between sizes for a lot of brands, but I think I am mostly a Large.
    I really like this bike, but would be willing to sell it and buy a Phantom and a Rune. I love the black and raw colors and would love to see a 1/2 inch longer seat tube. Everything else works perfectly.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

FM
    mtbr member
    I demo'd a Tracer T275 yesterday....nice bike, but it made me really appreciate the Spitfires geometry! Once you get used to low & slack, really hard to go back to higher BB's.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey Kieth,

I recently built up a '16 Spitfire and I honestly have no real complaints for the ~50 miles I have put on it so far. I am between 5'10" and 5'11" so I sized up to a large and the geometry feels spot on for what I like. The only things I would recommend changing are:

(1) Somehow including the water bottle inside the front triangle. I rarely ride with a pack these days and having a muddy water bottle isn't the greatest. However, this is by no means a deal breaker.

(2) Having an option to include a Maxle or other quick release with the dropouts. I like the security of the current through axle, but it made fixing a flat a bit more of an ordeal. Again, this could easily be remedied by me purchasing a Maxle, but it would be cool to have the option upon purchasing the frame/dropouts.

Thanks for designing an awesome bike Kieth!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hi Keith,

This will probably be an unpopular idea, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense to me:
    What if the Spitfire and Rune were morphed into one bike and those two models phased out?
    I'm thinking a Spitfire seat tube angle and pedal-ability with the Rune's 64.5 degree head angle, a bit more reach and 150mm travel (geometry trumps travel, in most situations). Keep the geo-chips and give them a 1.5 degree range for those who like steep bikes.
    Chuck in some weight savings (the Rune and Spitfire frames weigh almost the same anyway) and you've got a bike that can handle pretty much anything.

One could argue the Banshee range is sprawling a bit for a small company and there's some overlap in models, so this could be a way to simplify things. I also can't see how the Rune and Spitfire could be altered without overlapping with another Banshee model or each other.
    Last edited by Smashquatch; 06-26-2016 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Keith,

I have the 2015 spitfire and the best bike I've ever owned. The 2016 geo updates were spot on so no comments there. I agree with what most of the others have said so just want to add a couple brain storming ideas. I'm an intermediate rider and these would be the things I would look for in my next bike.

1) Lighter would be nice but I wouldn't sacrifice durability or stiffness. Stiffness is key for pedaling and good suspension dynamics.

2) 1-1/2" shorter seat tube length to accommodate the 150mm dropper post

3) Water bottle in the triangle would be nice for shorter rides but not sure how you do this without significant changes.

4) Definitely keep the interchangeable dropouts!

5) To future proof the bike and get in line with wider is better. Being able to fit 2.6-2.7 tire would be a positive. I've read that this is were aggressive bikes/tires are going but what do i know.

Other than that keep up the great work, love what Banshee is doing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Proud and happy owner of a 2015 Spitfire, I bought a new set of wheels. Changing, upgrading, pimping to 27.5''. The old wheels are Hope Pro 2 EVO and ZTR Arch EX with standard spokes and nipples. Weight about 1'800g. The new set is on DT SWISS 240s hubs and XM401 rims with Sapim D-light spokes and nipples. Weight should be less than 1'600g...
    Now the open points. As I want to run them with the 26'' dropouts, what would be the influence on the geometry of at the same time I move from the middle to the slack position for the rear wheel?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

smartass
    In the low setting, you'll have half a degree slacker head angle and seat angle, and about 1/4" lower bottom bracket compared to the middle setting. Slight reduction in reach and increase in stack as well, but probably not enough to notice.

I ended up moving the seat forward on the rails a bit when in the low geometry setting to compensate for the slacker seat angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So this ist mit making a huge difference. Mine is already on the short side, I'll keep on the trail (medium) setting for trail purposes and give a try on the slack at an occasion.
    Thanks for the answer

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

smartass
    No, it's not a huge difference, but the bottom bracket is pretty high on the 2013-2015 models with 650b wheels, so it was worth dropping it for that reason alone. Even in the low setting it's still like 13.5"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2016 banshee spitfire

27,5'' arrived and Spitty ready for a first ride in this configuration.

Before, with 26'' wheels

After, with the 27,5''

The wheels are composed of DT 240s hubs with 54 teeth free drive, Sapim D-Light spokes and DT XM 401 rims for a total weight oh 1559g.

Hope the rear tire, an Onza Canis in 2.25'' which is very thin and light.

Nucking Futs
    Interesting to feel the difference first hand, got any ride time on them yet? I didn't even consider switching wheelsizes since the 1550 exc's I have where crazy expensive, aren't going to sell for anything remotely similair performance but also they are awesome wheels so basicly didn't feel the need to anyway. Why did you switch to 27,5?

This morning did a fun first ride on mine, it felt instantly more stable and responsive over the v1 Spitty and let's be honest that isn't a bad frame or anything. Good got even better applies here!

2016 banshee spitfire-p4pb13545130.jpg

2016 banshee spitfire-p4pb13545149.jpg

This is such, such a fun trail shredding machine! 12.8 kg or 28.2 lbs which is very satisfying indeed. Overall re-used allmost all of the old parts, ditched the front mech and am running 1 x 9 now with 34 up front and 32-11 in the rear, see if that works out decently in the mostly flat terrain we have here. I did a fair bit of readjusting the inline from the go, waaaaaay to fast rebound for me but so far it feels lovely, the pike with fast hsc and lsc cartridge is on another planet performance wise. Can't believe how supple the ride is now, pure for ****'s and giggles put 2 shock eye needle bearings in which makes the suspension crazy active from the go.

Truelly an amazing bike, thanks allot Banshee! Can't wait to take it to some proper hills soon.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2016 banshee spitfire

First ride today but it rained all night long. So apart the flat on fire road, I cannot tell much. It don't felt high in comparison with 26'' wheels and for what I deed I didn't noticed some lost in the slow and technical stuff. But be careful, as I won about 200g on the wheels and a few with the tires.
    I decided to swap because..... I just wanted to try and my old hoops were already 4 and half a year old.

Nucking Futs
    It survived almost 2 1/2 rides but the oem inline like allot of others died. Gutted with the nice weather we are having. Sending it back to the distributor tomorrow, so the wait is on. I've heard of cc's offer to upgrade to a db air cs, is this some sort of agreement from them that the inline has a durability issue? Under-engineerd internals or anything? I'm curious if upgrading would be benifitial, or are the revised inlines just as trust worthy?
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Personally I think all banshee lines are too bada$$ not to have a shock without a backup reservoir. If you can get a DB air, I would. I think most of us banshee riders are not the mild singletrack type and love to get rowdy... Inline just doesn't keep up.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

Nucking Futs
    That be true, I don't mind pointing this thing into a more challenging line down the hill. Having said that the dealer also said piggy back shocks in general have less damping support so for the smaller travel'd frame's they can't be pushed as hard (like your blowing thru the travel all the time).

Now i've seen a few riders with db air's on their spitty's and I would like to know how they are working but also on what sort of trails. Still we don't have much gnarly descents here so it would be a huge waste of pedalling energy by going db air if indeed it rides too soft.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck View Post
    Having said that the dealer also said piggy back shocks in general have less damping support so for the smaller travel'd frame's they can't be pushed as hard
    Uhh what? Cane creek in my experience has been known to blow through the travel but that's just the company in general. But that's not a piggy back system reasoning.
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

Nucking Futs
    After a few tweaks of the lsc and lsr I didn't feel the shock was unsuportive or anything, so I don't know why he would say this. The shock is underway to cane creek, hope to hear from them in a few days. Meanwhile this picture popped up on their site

2016 banshee spitfire-dbaircs_shocklanding.jpg

Now this is looking absolute killer with the black pike stanchions! Very very tempted upgrading from an inline now.
    Amplify Your ®ide!

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have a Cane Creek double barrel air with climb switch and it's awesome. They are so adjustable that you can pretty much make them feel how you like.
    In terms of piggyback shocks being softer, I think there's a bit of confusion here between damping and air volume. The CCDBA probably has more air volume than the inline (especially with an XV sleeve), so the spring is more linear (but still more progressive than a coil shock) so you're more likely to use all its travel more easily. The piggyback (oil reservoir) just means there's more oil in the damping circuit, so less heat build up in the shock and more consistent damping on long dh runs. If you find the double barrel too linear (soft), all you need to do is add some volume spacers – an easy job for your local shop – to make the spring more progressive (I run a couple in mine). This makes the bike feel quite 'poppy' in deep berms and off jumps (fun!), but you can just add some HSR to control that.
    In terms of pedalling platform, just dial in the low speed compression until it pedals how you want.
    Where I live, we have lots of steep, techy decents with lots of roots and rocks. There aren't any big bike park type areas here, so we have to pedal to the top of everything (not big, 400m-to-800m vertical elevation).
    I found the base tune a bit spikey in compression, so I backed the HSC out to a quarter turn from open and then made minor tweaks to everything else. It's an awesome shock, much better than the RS Monarch plus I tried for a while.
    Last edited by Smashquatch; 06-27-2016 at 12:03 AM.

Big Test Icycles
    Has anyone tried mixing tire sizes on their Spitty. I'm thinking of trying a 27.5+ 2.8 tire up front on mine. I know it will raise my BB slightly but it may be worth a try. Anyone??

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey Hangtime,
    Would love to see if it'll fit the rear too. Mine has 26x2.75 on both ends with 50mm rims.
    Bartok Roxas MD

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Keith,

I am anxiously waiting for Banshee Spitfire 2016, S, Black. Frames were expected (third batch delivery to Poland) in the end of April. It is July now, and I am afraid the season may end before they arrive.
    The dealer says, he always gets reply from you that they will arrive in
    two weeks time. Well, I would like to plan my holidays

I waited for Rune for three months longer than expected too, but as your brand fan I would rather be not getting used to such waiting

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Suggested sizing for the 2016 model for someone 5'11" with slightly longer arms? Looking at the sizing guide, medium for 5'7" to 6'0" and large starting at 6'0". So.... one of those tweeters unfortunately for trying to choose a size. Thanks.

Big Test Icycles

2016 banshee spitfire

I'm 5'10 and ride a 2015 Large with a 50mm stem. I find it perfect once the bike is on the trails. If you have a long reach you might want to bump up to an XL and run a 35mm stem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast