Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Spitfire

510K views 3K replies 288 participants last post by  RS VR6 
#1 ·
What do we know so far?

Does it have bearings?
Adjustable geometry? Looks like there could be adjustable geo built into the dropouts.
Geo specs?

27.5" compatible dropouts as option

"Banshee Bikes 2013" by fakawi

#2 ·
yes from what I understand all new bikes will have INA bearings through out with a better design of keeping things together. tighten the pivot bolts right on to the bearing races, I hope without the nylon washers cause they cause allot of drag and can produce annoying noise.

the new spitty also has 140 mm rear travel instead of the 130 mm of the current version. together with the KS link this will make it a whole other bike i'm sure. the current version allready has quite a bottomloss feel so i'm very interested how the new version will ride.

the double shock adjustment isn't used much, people prefer the slack setting so they might aswell add the option to change geo on the dropout itself. geo i'm very curious about cause I absolutly love my current spitty, allthough I need to run a 400 mm seatpost at allmost max (I think 13 cm inside the frame) to achieve propper flat-xc pedaling height. this is on a medium frame and i'm 1.78 m. I really hope they change it a bit so it's easier to use a dropper, and for the sake of being safe. that really is my only point of attention for a new version.

#4 ·
I think Banshee needs to start making 12 X 142 thru-axles for all their upcoming models. I believe this is the new standard for good reason. It makes the rear end a whole lot stiffer. I know my spitfire is like a noodle in the rear, be it from the loose bushings/frame wear or inherent flex. I know my rampant could benefit from a 12x142 thru-axle, too.

#8 ·
I'm a bitter soon to be former Spitfire owner...I'm only speaking from my experience unless you feel having 2-3 mm of vertical play in the lower linkage is normal after 4 rides with new pivots and bushings. That said, I do enjoy the way the bikes rides as they totally nailed the geometry, but I'm (and many others - just look at the Rune bushing thread) done dealing with this headache.

#17 ·
I can´t quote for other countries, but in Germany the new Runes and Spitfires are to expected in November 2012. I´ve heard that there might be earlier Releases (August) for the US-Market.

BTW, the neon Bike above seems like that is the large Proto-Rune Jon was seen on ...

That's the new Spitfire. I really hope they make dropouts to shorten the rear also.
From the Picture and judging by the look I would say Banshee did exactly that, next to some other amazing Geo-Refinements ... :thumbsup:

Geetings
NoStyle

Attachments

#16 ·
Any news on when it will be out? I just transferred the parts from my 2011 Spitty to my old Yeti Seven frame. Seems pointless to start screwing around with axle replacements and such when a new version is going to be out soon, but my Spitty just didn’t ride right anymore - and unlike the Seven, it doesn’t have that many miles on it. I wonder if they will let me trade up to the Rune…

#22 ·
By the way: Why no 135x12 (Thrue-Axle/Maxle) Dropout? Is this becoming a dead "Standard"?
I don't feel there is much demand for this... 142x12 is fast becoming the closest bolt through standard, and 135x10 can always be set up with a bolt up hub. Personally I am not a big fan of multiple standards, I'd much rather that the whole industry settled on one good standard, but since companies keep creating new standards and marketing them as the best to make more money from people who feel the need to upgrade, I feel have to offer customers a wide range of options to save them money.

I wouldn't recommend one dropout standard over any other (although I never recommend QR options, as bolt up 135x10 hubs are far stiffer and often same weight), it really just comes down to what rear hub you have. The dropout optons are only offered to make make sure the majority of customers don't have to buy a another new wheelset or converter kit if they want this frame, as they can specify the dropout to go with their wheel of choice.

#24 ·
Oh well, thank you Keith for insight.
It was just a thought, because while I´m going to purchase a Spitfire, I seriously think to keep my Wildcard, too. First Spitfire Built-Up would be with 26ers, so I could have the opportunity to switch Wheels first, save some money and upgrade later. My Rear Hub is convertable between QR and 135x12. As an option: 135x10 and DT-Swiss RWS works fine, from what I´ve heard.
But I have noticed that the 650B-Dropouts are 142x12 only, so this becomes not that important point any more when switching to this Wheelsize ...

Greetings and congratulations for the great upcoming Banshee Line-Up :thumbsup:
NoStyle

#25 ·
I wouldn't say the spitfire V2 is designed specifically for a 160mm fork. anything in 140-160mm range should work fine on it. It's up to you to pick the fork that will suit your needs best when considering how it will affect geometry. I personally like a stiff and slightly higher than average front end so have opted for a 160mm fork on mine. 140mm will work, but will steepen the head angle by about 1 degree and drop the BB about 0.3".

#34 ·
The antisquat characteristics of the spitfire V2 are a bit more neutral than the V1 frame to give less pedal kickback, but the antisquat is still more than most frames out there in that category. So in a granny ring you will not feel quite as much pedal kickback (has been reduced almost 40%), but there will still be antisquat to help keep the geometry in a good position for climbing and offering fast acceleration with a nice rearward axle path.

Specs will be released soon... stay tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.