Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2056

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    yeah it might be just me - usually is. its a 50mm stem but must look long in that photo. Its a nukeproof warhead bar so its 20mm rise. Im 6 ft 2 1/2.

I know I can get lower its just I feel that set up gives me that natural riding position and you're right - higher front end would probably have the desired effect. in that photo, its not steep but im well into my fork travel so I might have too much weight on the front which would mean more spacers or perhaps a higher rise bar. I run a stiff fork believe it or not.

still can't believe how small 26 inch wheels look now

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    yeah it might be just me - usually is. its a 50mm stem but must look long in that photo. Its a nukeproof warhead bar so its 20mm rise. Im 6 ft 2 1/2.

I know I can get lower its just I feel that set up gives me that natural riding position and you're right - higher front end would probably have the desired effect. in that photo, its not steep but im well into my fork travel so I might have too much weight on the front which would mean more spacers or perhaps a higher rise bar. I run a stiff fork believe it or not.

still can't believe how small 26 inch wheels look now
    I run a similar setup to you - 20mm rise bar, 50mm stem - and I am roughly 6'1. I I had some setup issues with the bike initially as far as positioning when climbing, and after some slight saddle repositioning and a slightly higher stack of spacers (looks maybe a smidge lower than yours), the bike is perfect. I would say you try a higher rise bar, maybe 30-40mm rise, and go from there. It will sit you upright a bit more, which may make the front wander a bit while climbing, but looks like it will be a tad more comfortable for you while descending.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Read: Ideal time to splash out on some Renthal Carbon 30mm fatbars

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have the Renthal carbon 40mm rise bar on the way. Having a bad issue with my hands hurting. But fit guy says the riser should get be back and more upright and possibly a setback seatpost as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Read: Ideal time to splash out on some Renthal Carbon 30mm fatbars

ive just bought these bars! The only way I could justify buying renthal carbons is by kidding myself that im not spending 100 but actually reinvesting in British industry

aside from that I'd have to have them delivered to work and then fit them when my girlfriend's not in the house so she doesn't suspect anything. Perhaps rough them up a bit so they look less new

I think I can fit on one more 5mm spacer so I'll give that a try

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does anyone know the actual top tube length on a Large spitfire? I know the banshee geo chart has the tt length at 24.2, but they also have the medium at 23.2 and it measures
    22 3/8" .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Still love this bike, despite all teh standard carbon bling here in Colorado I look at my raw aluminum bike and it always makes me smile. I think I've only seen one other Banshee here in the last couple of years. Hopefully by next season I can upgrade the rear shock (Float CTD) and maybe go the Avalache route and get rid of a sticky boost valve, or Cane Creek, or Fox float x. Other than that this bike just rocks.

2013 Spitfire-14903490945_b966c456e7_b.jpg

Mr. Knowitall

Sv: 2013 Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    Does anyone know the actual top tube length on a Large spitfire? I know the banshee geo chart has the tt length at 24.2, but they also have the medium at 23.2 and it measures
    22 3/8" .
    Who cares about top tube length. Stack/reach is your friend and a more accurate comparison

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crank and fork questions

For those of you running spittys with 650B wheels:

Have you tried running 150mm travel up front versus 160mm - what difference did it make in handling, and which did you find to work better?

Due to the low BB height, do 175mm cranks have pedal strike issues? Have you gone to 170mm? I usually run 175mm cranks, but I'm contemplating a 650B build (in size L) and wonder if I should go 170 or 175.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    For those of you running spittys with 650B wheels:

Have you tried running 150mm travel up front versus 160mm - what difference did it make in handling, and which did you find to work better?

Due to the low BB height, do 175mm cranks have pedal strike issues? Have you gone to 170mm? I usually run 175mm cranks, but I'm contemplating a 650B build (in size L) and wonder if I should go 170 or 175.
    I can answer both of those questions. I'm running a 160mm Marzocchi 350 CR now and was previously running a 160mm XFusion Sweep. I personally like the feel of the 160mm quite a bit, especially given the low BB that you were referencing.

As for cranks, I run 175mm as I have longer legs, and while I do hit the pedals every now and then (more than my old Nomad Carbon), it isn't any sort of a problem.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The BB height doesn't change much from the slack to middle position, but would it be enough change that climbing over rocks would lessen the pedal strikes? I have carbon crank arms and I've already hit a few things. Nothing major but would like to make sure I don't blow out the insert in the arm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    22 3/8" .
    I just measured mine, and from center of head tube to center of seat tube, following the top tube, and it came out right at 23 3/8".
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
    The BB height doesn't change much from the slack to middle position, but would it be enough change that climbing over rocks would lessen the pedal strikes? I have carbon crank arms and I've already hit a few things. Nothing major but would like to make sure I don't blow out the insert in the arm.
    Perhaps you should just get an SLX crank so that you actually dare to use your bike?

Mr. Knowitall
    I am on XX1 cranks, and they are protected with Race Face crank boots. They are very well despite pedal strikes on every ride. I went from 26" to 27.5" on 26" drops, and the added Bb height was welcome with fewer strikes. My speed was defininely higher, as well as feeling of in control. I am on a 160mm Pike..

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by Dystopism View Post
    Perhaps you should just get an SLX crank so that you actually dare to use your bike?
    Troll elsewhere.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    I am on XX1 cranks, and they are protected with Race Face crank boots. They are very well despite pedal strikes on every ride. I went from 26" to 27.5" on 26" drops, and the added Bb height was welcome with fewer strikes. My speed was defininely higher, as well as feeling of in control. I am on a 160mm Pike..
    Where do you have the chips at?

Mr. Knowitall

Sv: 2013 Spitfire

Where do you have the chips at?
    Highest/steepest position. Although I have a -1 angleset..

mtbr member
    May 2013

Highest/steepest position. Although I have a -1 angleset..
    So your dropout bolts are at the top of the chainstay?

Mr. Knowitall
    No, the dropouts bolts are at the bottom, making the BB higher

mtbr member
    May 2013

No, the dropouts bolts are at the bottom, making the BB higher
    Got it. I'm thinking of moving the dropout to the middle position for a little more BB clearance , but I like the aggressive cockpit the slackest setting gives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Got it. I'm thinking of moving the dropout to the middle position for a little more BB clearance , but I like the aggressive cockpit the slackest setting gives.
    personally I like the handling of the bike best in the middle setting - if you ride anywhere with chunky climbs, my experience has been that the lowest setting drops the BB just a smidge too far, resulting in some solid pedal strikes. my experience is with the 650b setup.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've knocked my feet out of the pedals on a few things climbing but that's honestly been one short section of one of the trails I ride regularly.

mtbr member
    I have my Spitfire set up with 650b wheels, 650b dropouts in the middle position, a 150mm RS Revelation fork, and 175 mm SLX cranks. I am happy with the geometry for all around trail riding; I'm in PA so that means short and sometimes steep ups and downs, sometimes rocky, sometimes flowy. I don't think I have had any pedal strikes with the 650b wheels, but maybe had a few with 26" wheels. I actually haven't tried the steep or slack setting yet as I haven't felt the need.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run my Spitfire permanently in slack, and have 165mm cranks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How tall are you though?

Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast