Page 68 of 86 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2126

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

  1. #1676
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33
    Need help. I feel some hollow play with clunking noise in my spitfire, while pedaling under load, especialy while standing. I've been narrowing down the sources of this play and came to the bearings ( maybe)?. I've removed cranks, BB even shock and there was this hollow play when i held the bike for seat tube and handlebar and pushed it with foot at the BB area. It is not realy free play, can't notice it using only hands. But when i put some real side to side pressure on the BB, I can feel this, as if something would shift in load direction and then I can go on the other side of bike and do it again in other direction. Is it possible that this is bearring issue? or should i look elsewhere? And which bearrings should i buy for spitfire v2?

  2. #1677
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Have you checked that all the pivot and dropout bolts are tightened to torque?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  3. #1678
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33
    Ye i checked all the bolts. As i've said i'm not 100% this play or shift is coming from bearrings, as i can only feel it when under load, while pedaling or using my both hands (seat and handlebar) and foot on BB. IS it even possible to have side to side play on pivots?

  4. #1679
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Side to side play shouldn't be possible in the pivots. This could only happen if they are not tightened properly, the bearings are not fully pressed in, or there is a tolerance issue. If tightened properly then the link presses on the inner race of the bearings which in turn is clamped by the axle.

    Each frame is individually checked by Jay at the factory before it is boxed up, so I'd be surprised if there was an issue. Are you certain that this is coming from the frame, and not say the rear wheel or headset or something?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  5. #1680
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33
    I will do the all around check again. It is realy hard to pinpoint the source, because this fault is not so obvious. I've checked for every possible loose bolt on the bike so far, each individual part of the bike doesnt have play on its own. And can't realy check for play when bike is on bike stand, because i have to put some side to side forces to the bike, to feel this. I first noticed this clunk when i was pedaling this realy steep climb. It's realy hard for me to describe, but I could feel it when standing with each pedal stroke at the point when I push the peddal down and pull the bike up. My first thought was headset, but i checked that, by holding front brake down and there was no play. Maybe it is headset, but play only ocurs under lots of load. I dont know.

  6. #1681
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    149
    What fork are you running kinserk?

    Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

  7. #1682
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33
    Im running PIKE RC3 150 650b.

  8. #1683
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Just to completely eliminate the pivots as a source, I'd recommend you disassemble them individually, check them, grease them, reassemble and tighten to torque. It's a pretty easy job (should take 15-20mins) and is worth doing from time to time anyway to ensure pivots are clean, greased and opperating properly. You can see an exploded diagram of the assembly on the spitfire page of our website for your referance.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  9. #1684
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    117
    This is my first time cruising the Banshee forums here, but let me say its awesome to be a part of the community of Spitfire owners - the thing rips.
    2013 Spitfire-spitfire.jpg
    I am struggling a bit with getting the CCDBA tuned 100%, and I could use some advice.

    Right now, I'm running what is essentially the base tune, less a quarter turn of HSC as I have been struggling to get full travel out of the bike. I'm not running any volume spacers, but I still can't really get the bike to retain a firm midstroke while still using its full travel. Sag is dead on 15mm as suggested, and the beginning stroke feels great, but the shock seems to plow through the midstroke a bit and then really ramp up in the last 1/4 of the travel.

    Anyone want to share their CCDBA tunes? The Cane Creek Lounge seems to be severely lacking in published user tunes...
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  10. #1685
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    780

    Sv: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by kinserk View Post
    Im running PIKE RC3 150 650b.
    My PIKE rattles a bit i the top, giving a hollow sound. This is due to the way the pos and neg chambers are equalized.

    I also had some problems with rear triangle play, which came from pivot bolts getting loose. They were tightened to torque, but still came loose. Some Loctite 243 on the threads and they are better.

  11. #1686
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    This is my first time cruising the Banshee forums here, but let me say its awesome to be a part of the community of Spitfire owners - the thing rips.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spitfire.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	900628
    I am struggling a bit with getting the CCDBA tuned 100%, and I could use some advice.

    Right now, I'm running what is essentially the base tune, less a quarter turn of HSC as I have been struggling to get full travel out of the bike. I'm not running any volume spacers, but I still can't really get the bike to retain a firm midstroke while still using its full travel. Sag is dead on 15mm as suggested, and the beginning stroke feels great, but the shock seems to plow through the midstroke a bit and then really ramp up in the last 1/4 of the travel.

    Anyone want to share their CCDBA tunes? The Cane Creek Lounge seems to be severely lacking in published user tunes...
    When are you noticing the lack of midstroke support? is it when pedaling? Cornering? pumping through trail section? Landing drops etc? Or at other times?
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  12. #1687
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Just to completely eliminate the pivots as a source, I'd recommend you disassemble them individually, check them, grease them, reassemble and tighten to torque. It's a pretty easy job (should take 15-20mins) and is worth doing from time to time anyway to ensure pivots are clean, greased and opperating properly. You can see an exploded diagram of the assembly on the spitfire page of our website for your referance.
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    My PIKE rattles a bit i the top, giving a hollow sound. This is due to the way the pos and neg chambers are equalized.

    I also had some problems with rear triangle play, which came from pivot bolts getting loose. They were tightened to torque, but still came loose. Some Loctite 243 on the threads and they are better.
    Yes I'm well familiar with this neg/pos feeling with PIKE. This wasn't the issue tho. I've found the source in front upper pivot. But it wasn't anything wrong apart from that, that i've been riding the bike hard in wet, muddy and dusty conditions for the last 2 months, with 2 enduro races and very little to zero maintainance to the pivot points. So I've disasembled the frame and notice a bit of play in front upper pivot when untighten the nut just alittle bit. It was that exact same sound I was looking for. When I've unthreaded the nut, the axle wouldnt go out, it seized to the bearrings ( due to conditions and mostly my negligence). So I've put some spray to it and poped it out with plastic stick and hammer. When i asembled everything back (well cleaned and greased), the play/ shift/ clunk was gone. Gone for a ride this morning and didn't notice any issue. So yeah. It was a pivot/ axle issue, but the fault was mine.
    Oh and I've found out I need to replace the bearrings, they are not buttery smooth anymore. If someone could give me the specifications or dimension of bearrings I need to get?

  13. #1688
    Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    When are you noticing the lack of midstroke support? is it when pedaling? Cornering? pumping through trail section? Landing drops etc? Or at other times?
    Really curious about this too, as you can read this relatively often for Rune or Spitfire on several boards???
    With a regular CCDB there´s plenty of midstroke-support, even with 30% sag. Possibly this CCDB has a more progressive nature than the CCDB VX/CS-ones? Maybe it helps to let out all air, pump the shock several times and fill-in air again, as there might be low pressure in the negative air chamber?

  14. #1689
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by kinserk View Post
    Yes I'm well familiar with this neg/pos feeling with PIKE. This wasn't the issue tho. I've found the source in front upper pivot. But it wasn't anything wrong apart from that, that i've been riding the bike hard in wet, muddy and dusty conditions for the last 2 months, with 2 enduro races and very little to zero maintainance to the pivot points. So I've disasembled the frame and notice a bit of play in front upper pivot when untighten the nut just alittle bit. It was that exact same sound I was looking for. When I've unthreaded the nut, the axle wouldnt go out, it seized to the bearrings ( due to conditions and mostly my negligence). So I've put some spray to it and poped it out with plastic stick and hammer. When i asembled everything back (well cleaned and greased), the play/ shift/ clunk was gone. Gone for a ride this morning and didn't notice any issue. So yeah. It was a pivot/ axle issue, but the fault was mine.
    Oh and I've found out I need to replace the bearrings, they are not buttery smooth anymore. If someone could give me the specifications or dimension of bearrings I need to get?
    You can find all bearing numbers on our website (FAQ section of frame page)
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  15. #1690
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,917
    Keith, do you recommend only normal raced bearings, full/Maxx compliment bearings or angular contact bearings, which works best?
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    You can find all bearing numbers on our website (FAQ section of frame page)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  16. #1691
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    In our testing they max compliment bearings did not last any longer than regular high quality bearings. The static and dynamic loads are well within the range of regualr bearings.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  17. #1692
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by kinserk View Post
    Yes I'm well familiar with this neg/pos feeling with PIKE. This wasn't the issue tho. I've found the source in front upper pivot. But it wasn't anything wrong apart from that, that i've been riding the bike hard in wet, muddy and dusty conditions for the last 2 months, with 2 enduro races and very little to zero maintainance to the pivot points. So I've disasembled the frame and notice a bit of play in front upper pivot when untighten the nut just alittle bit. It was that exact same sound I was looking for. When I've unthreaded the nut, the axle wouldnt go out, it seized to the bearrings ( due to conditions and mostly my negligence). So I've put some spray to it and poped it out with plastic stick and hammer. When i asembled everything back (well cleaned and greased), the play/ shift/ clunk was gone. Gone for a ride this morning and didn't notice any issue. So yeah. It was a pivot/ axle issue, but the fault was mine.
    Oh and I've found out I need to replace the bearrings, they are not buttery smooth anymore. If someone could give me the specifications or dimension of bearrings I need to get?
    4 of 6001 2rs bearings and 4 of 608 2rs bearings

    6001 LLU MAX
    DIMENSIONS .............................................. 12mm x 28mm x 8mm
    SEALS .................................................. .. Dual-lip medium/high contact
    BALL MATERIAL .................................................. .... Chromium Steel
    BALL GRADE .................................................. .............................. 10
    RACES .................................................. .................. Chromium Steel
    APPLICATION .................................................. .... Suspension Pivots
    GREASE ................................. Rock 'n' Roll Super-Web (in most cases)


    608 LLB MAX
    DIMENSIONS ................................................ 8mm x 22mm x 7mm
    SEALS .................................................. .. Dual-lip medium/high contact
    BALL MATERIAL .................................................. .... Chromium Steel
    BALL GRADE .................................................. .............................. 10
    RACES .................................................. .................. Chromium Steel
    APPLICATION .................................................. .... Suspension Pivots
    GREASE ................................. Rock 'n' Roll Super-Web (in most cases)

    ENDURO MAX BEARINGS: ULTIMATE SUSPENSION PIVOT BEARINGS!

    or a bearing from another manufacturer meeting the dimensions listed

  18. #1693
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,917
    How about the angular contact ones, would they work or is the torque for the pivots too much pre-load for them?

    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    In our testing they max compliment bearings did not last any longer than regular high quality bearings. The static and dynamic loads are well within the range of regualr bearings.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  19. #1694
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    I don't recommend angular contact bearings, the system is not designed around them.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  20. #1695
    sui
    sui is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4

    My New Spity V2

    I took this out for it's first ride on Saturday to Bike Park Wales (UK for those not on these fair shores)..... Well that was a baptism of fire..

    I would like to say thank you to Banshee and CaneCreek for making a bike that's a lot of fun to ride and a revelation in how good suspension design can work. I came from an old (2005) GSpot which "chattered" like crazy with a DHX5 on, the Spity felt like a Rolls Royce in comparison. Fantastic weight balance and predictable! I need to get used to the lower BB height, but that's no biggy. Cheers Chaps

    [IMG][/IMG]


    one questioned I did have, is the CCDBCS supposed to make a hollow air noise, a bit like those wind instruments you used to play at school?

  21. #1696
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    When are you noticing the lack of midstroke support? is it when pedaling? Cornering? pumping through trail section? Landing drops etc? Or at other times?
    Primarily when pumping through sections of trail.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  22. #1697
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    Primarily when pumping through sections of trail.
    Increase your low speed compression damping. It will make the bike feel much more immediate and result in less dive when pumping and cornering... will also make it a little more efficienct when pedaling.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  23. #1698
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    24
    What length stealth reverbs is everyone running? Heard there might be clearance issues with the 420mm...

  24. #1699
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17
    Saw some chatter about people possibly drilling their frames/or having someone drill the frames to route a stealth post, anybody got pics?

  25. #1700
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    73
    It will void your warranty I believe.

Page 68 of 86 FirstFirst ... 18 58 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 78 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •