Page 57 of 84 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2076

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyfive View Post
    probably ride more aggressively on Spity
    Perhaps you're a bigger hitter than me, but I've put the DH bike down entirely over winter and rode the Spitty both on trail and DH - and it's yet to drop a chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Perhaps you're a bigger hitter than me, but I've put the DH bike down entirely over winter and rode the Spitty both on trail and DH - and it's yet to drop a chain.
    my Dh bike gets very little use these days: only places in UK i'd prefer to ride it than the spitty is fort bill, revolution and Llangollen. Anything Bike park-y and Id prefer the spitty rather than a sluggish 8 incher. Also yet to drop a chain

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    If the curve is progreesive, doesnt that mean a higher leverage ratio at beginning of stroke than at the end of stroke, so doesnt that actually mean that the shock moves more for a given amount of travel at the end of stroke than the beginning? since leverage ratio equals travel divided by shock stroke
    D'oh, must have been a long day, yeah, sorry I meant the other way round... have edited my comment now. Good spot.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    my Dh bike gets very little use these days: only places in UK i'd prefer to ride it than the spitty is fort bill, revolution and Llangollen. Anything Bike park-y and Id prefer the spitty rather than a sluggish 8 incher. Also yet to drop a chain
    This is good. This is real good. I am so pumped to get mine.

Keith! Typically how long to ship from your neck of the woods to the midwest?? I am hoping to have mine next week sometime...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Haha pretty much the same.
    I had this just standing around since August last year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

9 months of weekly/fortnight service from my red spitty, no problem so far, lots of great moments and happy trails to explore.. cheers!

bismojo & friends at west java, indonesia in Bandung, Indonesia - photo by bismojo - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Spity on trail

2013 Spitfire-p4pb10691041.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok this is maybe a really stupid question but given this is my first full DIY build I'm really stuck with what headset to stick in the spitty and whether it's something I can fit at home or does it need to be done at a lbs.

mtbr member
    If you are don't have a headset presss get your shop to do it, it shouldn't cost much and will save you a headache. Ask to watch and learn though!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's piss easy to do. I ended up buying a headset press (30 ish in the UK from Superstar), but a rubber mallet can be used to equally successful results.

I agree that people should build a relationship with your LBS, but to be honest - buy the press once at the same cost as the shop will charge you and learn how to do it yourself.

MTB B'dos
    Don't worry to waste your money buying a "legit" press, just go to a local hardware store and buy some threaded rod and big washers and wing nuts and make your own, it's dead easy to do, once you're not a moron. Check out this detailed thread about how to do it (MkIII) Homemade Headset Tools...
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimateweevil View Post
    Ok this is maybe a really stupid question but given this is my first full DIY build I'm really stuck with what headset to stick in the spitty and whether it's something I can fit at home or does it need to be done at a lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    If you are don't have a headset presss get your shop to do it, it shouldn't cost much and will save you a headache. Ask to watch and learn though!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Spitty in action.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very nice, we need more Spitty action shots. Far too many clean stationary shots, my own included!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

undercover brother
    Please don't use a rubber mallet to install your headset. People will say it works, but I bet you'd be pretty pissed when you ovalize your brand new headtube and banshee tells you youre an idiot for doing so (as they should). A headset press is a solid investment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you've got to be a class A retard to ovalise your headtube with a mallet.

undercover brother
    No, you've got to stupid to install a headset with a mallet. Telling someone to install a headset incorrectly on their new frame is not a good idea. Will you take credit where its due if he screws up? No, so install it correctly. End of argument.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jesus, did someone piss in your fruitloops this morning?

I did say to buy a press, however I've fitted numerous headsets with a mallet...and grace...successfully without screwing up anything.

FM
    luxatio erecta

I would be careful with this.
    I do have a homemade headset press, but it's not something I'd recommend.

IF you want to press in yourself, don't use a mallet, make a press. For the threaded rod (or a very long bolt works fine), the larger diameter the better, and finer thread the better. You'll want a stack of washers to prevent them from distorting. Make sure the washers fit tight around the bolt/threaded rod, sit against the flat part of the nut (not the radiused outer edge) and have plenty of overlap outside the headtube. Make sure only the headset cup is being loaded, never the bearing. Forget the wingnut. Press one cup in at a time; if they aren't going in squarely, stop, tap the cup out and start over.

I am fairly positive a DIY headset press voids your warranty. I'd have the LBS do it if at all possible just to be safe. I had my Prime cups pressed in by my LBS even though I have a press. Your call though.
    Last edited by FM; 03-13-2014 at 07:54 AM.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    By the way... reason I posted on this... last year I had a bad experience pressing a King headset into a Kona Honzo frame. I was using a Park HHP-2 headset press and the headset was a fight to get in and the upper cup was basically seized once installed. It turned out the 44mm head tube was actually 44.3mm. This is out of tolerance in a range that will some headsets but not others.

It all worked out, but soured me on the DIY approach even with pro tools. You can't expect much warranty support or customer service if you hit any issues with a DIY install- even if it might work fine 75% of the time.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Heres my action video makes a change from all the still shots .you cant see my spitfire as its a headcam.its resulted in a broken arm,an operation to fit metal plates and wires and time of work.

My bikes fine though thank god lol .happened mid febuary not expecting to ride till April im very bored and going stir crazy

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/352655/

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1394736367076.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    aww. bad action. :/ get well soon dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah I'm going to go the safe route and I'm getting one of the lbs to fit one for me, although I could probably do it myself if I bought a press but I'd rather not take any chances

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah I'm going to go the safe route and I'm getting one of the lbs to fit one for me, although I could probably do it myself if I bought a press but I'd rather not take any chances
    I agree get the LBS to do it - you probably won't need to install new cups for the lifetime of the frame so its a very rare job and not worth getting a Park tools press or whatever. I tried to bodge it on one frame and bent one of the cups

if you buy the headset from lbs then they should fit it for free anyway

mtbr member
    Made a few upgrades and cleaned the bike up so figured I'd share a few shots. Really liking the chromag BZA bar/stem. Really stiff but have that nice carbon feel. Replaced my Crossmax SX wheels with i9 enduros and they are great too. Came up short guinea pigging a new gap we built over the winter and was afraid to look but the rear wheel was perfect. I hadf considered the trail wheels, but stupid sh!t like that is why I'm glad I went with the enduros. Anyhow, I feel the same way everyone else does--this bike is tits. Can't wait for winter to really end to try out the new stuff we've been building...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-spitty-2.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty-3.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty-4.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty-5.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty.jpg  

Last edited by NCBigHit; 03-17-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quick question about sag.
    When setting sag, do you do that seated or standing in the attack position?

Page 57 of 84 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 67 ... LastLast