mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    44/56 for the spitfire V2
    That is wonderful news

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by cave dweller View Post
    If you want to run a single front chain ring, what is the smallest size you can run without getting kickback similar to V1 models?
    I can't speak for the spitfire, but my KS-link prime has no detectable pedal feedback with a 30t single ring... also doesn't have that buttery rearward travel feeling that my old rune has.

Maybe Keith can chime in, but my guess is that the KS link bikes have less of a rearward axle-path, compared to the old bikes, so pedal feedback won't be much of an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It doesn't really work like that, it is a gradual scale. The smaller the chainring you use on any bike with chain stretch the more pedal kickback you will get (it's to do with the radius of the chainring). That said the pedal kickback is reduced about 40% on the spitfre V2 for any given chainring size, so you will feel less kickback for chosen chainring size. If you want an optimal chainring size for 100% antisquat the best range would be 32-34.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you want an optimal chainring size for 100% antisquat the best range would be 32-34.
    Which will be the optimal chainring size for Prime and Rune?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by walt06 View Post
    Which will be the optimal chainring size for Prime and Rune?
    Oh +1 for this question!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Prime optimal range is probably 28-32.

Rune V2 optimal range is 32-36.

But both depend on what pedaling characteristics you want, some may like smaller chainrings (more antisquat) and others larger (less pedal kickback).
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ok, on my Spitfire V1 I found that it works best with 36t, but when I switched to 1x10 I had to take a 32t ring because 36 is to heavy to pedal. With the 32t I have noticeable pedal bob, but it's just acceptable.
    I'm now thinking about the drivetrain for my new Prime. I would like to go single ring on it too, but would need to take a uncommon (cranks?) 30t ring for same gear ratio than on my Spitfire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There are 30 toot chairing options that fit on normal tripple chainring crank setup, if you read through some of the prime build threads I'm sure you will find the name, they seem to work well and offer. All new bikes have less pedal kickback (for a set chainring size) then the old frames, with prime being the least of them due to larger wheel size requiring a smaller chainring.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmX View Post
    Gotta love it when a communicaty shares their knowledge! Thanks MalcolmX
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

G_g
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There is also one ring from extralite, but that one doesn't allow you to use some chain guides. (with 104 bcd)

Also, take a look at the Sram cranks with removable spider. Some of them come with 29t rings, or you could just get the MRP bling ring.

On top of those, there are 30t rings that mount on the granny spot of normal cranks (sjscycles, but there should be more). In this case, you should make the granny be inline with the middle ring, so some shaving of granny tabs is required (get an older crank set, just to give it a try. I got a used Deore hollowtech 2 for very cheap, and there were loads of truvativ holzefeller and similar cranks very cheap, that can withstand grinding the granny tabs easily)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New question here.

If your interested, here the Spitfire V2 geometry.

Have somebody an idea about the weight of the frame ?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Interesting that the 650b spitfire and a 29" prime have about the same wheelbase - the prime is even a little shorter @ 45.4

(comparing mediums)

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    In the german mtb-rider-magazine is an Article about Wheelsize. Gravity-orientated riders comparing 26, 27,5 and 29er in various different Terrain. Testbikes were all Nicolai ACs. Funny thing was: Lots Geometry-Specs such as Wheelbase, BB-height, Bar-height, Saddle-Position and so on, were closely beeing similar through all sizes. Only Angles of ST, HA or Chainstaylength were different. So all Testriders, just by sitting on the Bikes, did not feel any difference - just the way how the Bike rode did that

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    In the german mtb-rider-magazine is an Article about Wheelsize. Gravity-orientated riders comparing 26, 27,5 and 29er in various different Terrain. Testbikes were all Nicolai ACs. Funny thing was: Lots Geometry-Specs such as Wheelbase, BB-height, Bar-height, Saddle-Position and so on, were closely beeing similar through all sizes. Only Angles of ST, HA or Chainstaylength were different. So all Testriders, just by sitting on the Bikes, did not feel any difference - just the way how the Bike rode did that
    Sounds like an interesting article. What conclusion did most of them come to in regards to what size they liked?

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Sounds like an interesting article. What conclusion did most of them come to in regards to what size they liked?
    Yes indeed, the article was really interesting to read, as all Testers were true to 26 but tried to be as open minded as possible, haven´t ridden 29ers before, or were sceptical to the "new" 650B Size.
    I will give a more detailed conclusion from this Test during the Weekend ...

MTB B'dos
    Yes, but remember that the Spitfire has 4 sizes that aren't as spaced apart as the Prime's 3, so the TT on the M Prime is 22.8", while on the M Spitfire it's 23.2", then take the couple degrees slacker HA and no surprise, but 26er die hards will still argue a 29er just can't handle the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Interesting that the 650b spitfire and a 29" prime have about the same wheelbase - the prime is even a little shorter @ 45.4

(comparing mediums)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I read the article too, and I am not sure if everything was totally unbiased in respect to the bike company who delivered the test bikes.
    The 29" was claimed to be a liitle bit better and more comfortable on the uphills, but not that controllable.
    On the downhill surprisingly all bikes where at the same speed overall. The times from the test-track were nearly identical.
    So all in all the 650B is the golden middle and it depends on what you do with the bike…blablabla....nothing really new…

In another test in a german magazine the Norco Killer B was rated worse than the 26" model.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Builttoride,

Any way you can get a new 650B Spitfire down to Francois @ MTBR for the 650B bike shootout he's about to do? Even if it wasn't a full production model it would be nice to see the Banshee included with a disclaimer to test a production version later. So...what do you think???
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    ... Yes reach has increased for the spitfire V2 for all sizes.

The large Spitfire V2 has a reach of 452mm (22mm longer than old one), this is to move towards rider running slightly shorter stems and having a more aggressive riding position.

The Effective top tube has remained the same but this number is a little misleading, as the higher you put the saddle the longer the top tube will feel as the actual seat post angle is slacker than the old frame due to bend in seat tube. So you will find that if you stick with a large frame, and switch to a 50mm stem, the the bikes geometry will feel very similar to your current bike.
    Dear Keith,

do you have any correct/concrete measurements due to this "growing" effective Toptube? How much more does it eventually strech-out in high Saddleposition?

The reason why I ask:
    I am 184 cm tall, inseam is about 86-87 cm and I´m always torn between the Sizes Medium and Large. Usually I feel totally at home on M when it comes to technical Riding and deal with the shorter Toptubelength for ideal Pedalling. I would like to have a slightly longer Toptube towards L for more Trailriding in the Future, but want to have the maximum Seatpostlength of M. Coming from a M Wildcard and comparing Geometry to a M Spitfire I immediately decided on Size M again, but I am a bit unsure if a large Spitfire will be a better fit, knowing that a 47 cm Seattube with raised Toptube is too high for my liking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Easiest way to think abut this is tha roughly for every 15mm the saddle is above the ETT line (horizontal to top dead center of headtube) the cockpit feel will increase by about 1mm over the ETT. There are a lot of bikes out there that are like this, but the manufacturers don't mention it.

Nostyle, it sounds like a medium would be best fit for you probably, but only you can decide for sure.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Easiest way to think abut this is tha roughly for every 15mm the saddle is above the ETT line (horizontal to top dead center of headtube) the cockpit feel will increase by about 1mm over the ETT. There are a lot of bikes out there that are like this, but the manufacturers don't mention it.

Nostyle, it sounds like a medium would be best fit for you probably, but only you can decide for sure.
    Thank you Keith!
    I think for me this is a very welcome Feature, as the effective Toptube will be around 595 mm, maybe a tad more when sitting high on the Saddle. That is close to my "Dream-Toptube-Length" of 600 - 605 mm. I will stick to the Medium now, as the Spitfire is already longer (+ 18 mm Reach) than the M Wildcard and a Wheelbase of 118 cm (26") / 119 cm (650B) seems pretty long for me. Plus having the most possible Standover-Hight for steep and technical Terrain - sounds pretty good for a Bike that is going to be ridden everywhere!

Many Greetings from Cologne, Germany
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    builttoride, that's probably not your responsibility, but when the final prices and order (or pre-order) options on new spit/rune shall be released?
    our local dealer in Russia just says that Banshee ignores his questions on that topic, and the community is going to rage on that
    Could you please update with latest info? please PM if it's not a public information.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    PM sent
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Keith,

Have you had a chance to ride the spitty or rune with 650B wheels? How does it feel compared to 26"? I'm VERY interested in trying 650B, and the fact that the spitty has the option is awesome. Any feed back from you or some of the other prototype testers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris

Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast