Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 2489

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

  1. #1801
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    I scored a sweet deal on a Mattoc Expert, so mine should be here in just about a week and a half or so. I swapped my CCDB Air CS for an Avalanche tuned Fox CTD, so I was looking for a more tunable fork than my XFusion Sweep. Funny, the XFusion Slant on my hardtail has been awesome, but my Sweep was much harsher, and a full rebuild still didn't have it running the way I want to. All of the published reviews on the Mattoc seemed really positive, but I'm curious how people have found the actual performance. I'm also thinking about dropping it to 150mm, so I'm looking for opinions on fork length too.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  2. #1802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    41
    Anyone fitted new monarch plus RC3 debonair on spitfire? Which tune would go with spitfire, mid?

  3. #1803
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15

    Spitfire 2014 build

    2013 Spitfire-thimg8621.jpg
    Me: 6' 1.5"

    Frame: Spitfire 2014 L w/ CDDB Air CS
    Fork: Fox Float 27,5 160mm (555mm A-C)
    Wheels: Crossmax SX 2012, 26"
    Bars: Easton Havoc Carbon 750 mm
    Stem: Truvativ T20 60mm

    Drivetrain:
    Blackspire Mono Veloce WP 30t
    XT RD modified w/ OneUp RAD Cage
    XT cassette w/ OneUp 40t and 16t cogs

    So far perfect.

  4. #1804
    sui
    sui is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4
    " width="549">

    My go

    Me 6' nothing

    Large Spitty
    Pike RTC3 27.5 150mm
    CC DBAir CS (EV)
    Saint Stoppers
    SLX cranks
    MPR Chain guide
    Middleburn N/W hardcoate 34T Ring
    1 x 10 with 42T OneUp
    Saint Shifter
    XT shadow clutch mech
    Mavic 719's on Hope PRO II's
    Reverb Stealth
    Renthal Fatbar Lite, on Renthal Duo Stem

    Tis sweet. Picture was taken a few hours before hitting POrts Du Soliel area for a long weekend!

  5. #1805
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    61
    nice builds. Id also be interested to see how the Mattoc compares to the Pike in its 27.5 guise; its had really good reviews. And also how it mates up with CC DBair. If its a negligible performance difference then what about service intervals etc? I spose the likes of TF tuned and Jtech are comfortable with the mattock?

  6. #1806
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Most of the reviews that I have come across say that the Mattoc chassis may not be quite as stiff as the Pike (there is some debate there), but that the damping is superior. Manitou used essentially the same damping technology and air spring that they developed for the Dorado, and the Dorado has received incredible reviews. But again, I am reserving full judgement until I receive the fork and actually get to take it for a spin.

    I abandoned my CCDB Air, but the added tunability of the Mattoc should make it reasonably easy to match up to any given shock.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  7. #1807
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    Just got word that my Inline shipped out today. Will be able to get a ride on the bike Monday

  8. #1808
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    I just built up my Spitfire and will be taking it out tomorrow on its first real ride, pretty excited to see how she does. I will be in the market for a new fork , right now I am using my carbon lefty from my last bike but I don't think it is going to be a good match for the Spitfire due to travel and A2C but we will see . So two questions if people are still watching this thread, fork choices and for those running the CCDB CS. I am looking into a RS Pike but the cost is pretty steep then there is the X Fusion Vengeance and Marzocchi 350 RC. I have always had good luck with marzocchi and not so good luck with rock shox, how ever , the reviews from riders on the Pike all seem to love them. I have never ridden the X fusion products.....Any thoughts on these three forks from people who have owned them?
    Second , people running the CCDB, just out of curiosity what are your adjustments for your shock? Rider weight, air pressure , how many clicks and turns are you running? I am always interested in how people set their suspension up for their riding styles .

  9. #1809
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Rockshox quality control can be hit or miss, as has been the case for some with the Pike, but if it were not for the high price I likely would have given the Pike a go instead of this Mattoc that I have on order. The XFusion Vengeance is supposed to be good, but rumor has it that it will be dropped from the XFusion lineup due to the presence of the newer Metric and Sweep. The Marzocchi was intriguing and the price was right, but there have not really been any legitimate ride reports yet.

    As for the CCDB, I ran 1.25 clicks of HSC, 2 HSR, 11 clicks LSC, 14 clicks LSR. I still was getting some spiking out of the rear shock over square edged hits, so if I were you I would drop HSC even more and add a volume spacer.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  10. #1810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by sui View Post
    Large Spitty
    Pike RTC3 27.5 150mm
    CC DBAir CS (EV)
    Saint Stoppers
    SLX cranks
    MPR Chain guide
    Middleburn N/W hardcoate 34T Ring
    1 x 10 with 42T OneUp
    Saint Shifter
    XT shadow clutch mech
    Mavic 719's on Hope PRO II's
    Reverb Stealth
    Renthal Fatbar Lite, on Renthal Duo Stem
    Did you have any issue with the set-up with the 42T OneUp ring? I tried to get mine to work the other day on my Banshee Spitfire, but when I was trying to tune the derailleur I had issues with the derailleur arm clipping the 42T ring when I was upshifting? I wasn't sure if this was a set-up error on my part, or there was an issue with the derailleur hanger on the frame? I had to go back to 11-36T for the time being...

  11. #1811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    Rockshox quality control can be hit or miss, as has been the case for some with the Pike, but if it were not for the high price I likely would have given the Pike a go instead of this Mattoc that I have on order. The XFusion Vengeance is supposed to be good, but rumor has it that it will be dropped from the XFusion lineup due to the presence of the newer Metric and Sweep. The Marzocchi was intriguing and the price was right, but there have not really been any legitimate ride reports yet.

    As for the CCDB, I ran 1.25 clicks of HSC, 2 HSR, 11 clicks LSC, 14 clicks LSR. I still was getting some spiking out of the rear shock over square edged hits, so if I were you I would drop HSC even more and add a volume spacer.
    When do you do expect your Mattoc in? I also looked at that as an option, I will be interested in a report of what you think on the fork. Our settings for the CCDB are pretty close, I am running 135psi with 1 1/2 HSC, 1 1/2 HSR, 9 clicks LSC and 14 LSR. Did you drop a volume spacer in yours? If so, What did you notice with your air pressure did it remain the same?

  12. #1812
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by radnark View Post
    Did you have any issue with the set-up with the 42T OneUp ring? I tried to get mine to work the other day on my Banshee Spitfire, but when I was trying to tune the derailleur I had issues with the derailleur arm clipping the 42T ring when I was upshifting? I wasn't sure if this was a set-up error on my part, or there was an issue with the derailleur hanger on the frame? I had to go back to 11-36T for the time being...
    shimano derailler? if so read this

    Shimano rear derailleurs – We have found that Shimano typically uses a shorter B screw then SRAM. With some setups it may be necessary to gain extra length to get the system shifting smoothly. If you find the B screw is not long enough, try removing the B-screw, removing the plastic washer that remains attached to the screw and reinstalling the screw without this washer. If you are still having trouble, remove the B screw and thread it into the derailleur from the opposite side.

    from this

    OneUp Components Canada - Instructions

    i just used a longer screw instead of flipping it around.

  13. #1813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    shimano derailler? if so read this

    Shimano rear derailleurs – We have found that Shimano typically uses a shorter B screw then SRAM. With some setups it may be necessary to gain extra length to get the system shifting smoothly. If you find the B screw is not long enough, try removing the B-screw, removing the plastic washer that remains attached to the screw and reinstalling the screw without this washer. If you are still having trouble, remove the B screw and thread it into the derailleur from the opposite side.

    from this

    OneUp Components Canada - Instructions

    i just used a longer screw instead of flipping it around.
    Thanks for the response, I had assumed since I installed the rad cage as well that I wouldn't run into this issue, looks like I'll need to use a longer screw. Did you just find a longer screw from the hardware store? Do you know the screw size?

  14. #1814
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by radnark View Post
    Did you have any issue with the set-up with the 42T OneUp ring? I tried to get mine to work the other day on my Banshee Spitfire, but when I was trying to tune the derailleur I had issues with the derailleur arm clipping the 42T ring when I was upshifting? I wasn't sure if this was a set-up error on my part, or there was an issue with the derailleur hanger on the frame? I had to go back to 11-36T for the time being...
    I actually ran into this same issue, and I have the OneUp Rad Cage now installed. It doesn't seem to be an issue while on the bike, but in the stand it is a bit disconcerting...
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  15. #1815
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    When do you do expect your Mattoc in? I also looked at that as an option, I will be interested in a report of what you think on the fork. Our settings for the CCDB are pretty close, I am running 135psi with 1 1/2 HSC, 1 1/2 HSR, 9 clicks LSC and 14 LSR. Did you drop a volume spacer in yours? If so, What did you notice with your air pressure did it remain the same?
    Sadly, the awesome price I got on the Mattoc means I won't be receiving it for a couple of weeks...I will be posting a review when I have a chance to get a few rides in. From my perspective, being able to get a Mattoc Expert for $600 was much more appealing than a used Pike for $700. The only difference between the Expert and the Pro is the added weight from the extra oil needed for the non-cartridge rebound damper in the Expert.

    As for the CCDB, I did not drop a volume spacer in as I was already having issues with getting the shock to use all of its travel, but I didn't want to drop air pressure any more as I was already sitting at recommended sag. Dropping any more HSC wasn't really an option for me either as the bike didn't keep composure quite as well in the rough.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  16. #1816
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15
    I had plenty of threads on the B-screw left with the Rad cage installed. My rear cog is just 40t though, but there should be just a minor difference between the 42t and 40t. The Rad cage (and upper jockey) distance varies with tension of the cage. Wouldn't a bit shorter chain help (it would bring the upper jockey further from the 42t cog).

  17. #1817
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by tonik666 View Post
    I had plenty of threads on the B-screw left with the Rad cage installed. My rear cog is just 40t though, but there should be just a minor difference between the 42t and 40t. The Rad cage (and upper jockey) distance varies with tension of the cage. Wouldn't a bit shorter chain help (it would bring the upper jockey further from the 42t cog).
    good call - I looked into this last night, and that seems to be the reason that the bike has issues in the stand but not on the trail. As the bike sags while riding, the increased taughtness of the chain resolves the issue. I'm going to double check chain length tonight.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  18. #1818
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    I believe I'm around 27

  19. #1819
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,339
    Some good looking builds here, how much are they weighing in at??

  20. #1820
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    Sadly, the awesome price I got on the Mattoc means I won't be receiving it for a couple of weeks...I will be posting a review when I have a chance to get a few rides in. From my perspective, being able to get a Mattoc Expert for $600 was much more appealing than a used Pike for $700. The only difference between the Expert and the Pro is the added weight from the extra oil needed for the non-cartridge rebound damper in the Expert.

    As for the CCDB, I did not drop avolume spacer in as I was already having issues with getting the shock to use all of its travel, but I didn't want to drop air pressure any more as I was already sitting at recommended sag. Dropping any more HSC wasn't really an option for me either as the bike didn't keep composure quite as well in the rough.
    That's a killer deal!! Yeah, I would wait also for that kind of price . Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? I am looking into it now that you mentioned it, see how manitou used the same type of damping system as the dorado. Also I am talking to DVO about their Diamond, the might be a little too pricey for me.
    So on your set up, I to am having a little bit of the same issue of not Using all of the travel. How much do you weigh and what air pressure are you running?
    I'll see if I am computer liderate enough to post a picture of it.

  21. #1821
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    That's a killer deal!! Yeah, I would wait also for that kind of price . Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? I am looking into it now that you mentioned it, see how manitou used the same type of damping system as the dorado. Also I am talking to DVO about their Diamond, the might be a little too pricey for me.
    So on your set up, I to am having a little bit of the same issue of not Using all of the travel. How much do you weigh and what air pressure are you running?
    I'll see if I am computer liderate enough to post a picture of it.
    Slight change of plans...I was going to get the Manitou from a guy on PinkBike, but turns out there was an issue with his source and the fork was backordered until the end of August. Given that I'm heading to Whistler soon, I can't wait that long. That said, it is available from ChainReaction for $650.

    The DVO stuff is all insanely expensive - the Diamond is going to be in BOS Deville territory. Not sure why, but JensonUSA is selling the new Marzocchi 350 CR for $599...it was more expensive last week, but the moment I saw that price I jumped on it. The Marzocchi stuff over the last couple years has been getting exceptional reviews, and the fact that they're finally producing a 4.xx pound 650b fork had me immediately intrigued. I'm going to give it a go.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  22. #1822
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    So on your set up, I to am having a little bit of the same issue of not Using all of the travel. How much do you weigh and what air pressure are you running?
    i weigh a bit over 175lbs kitted up and from memory i was running 155-ish PSI. desired sag is 15mm according to the setup guide, but i was running a little more to try and use the full travel.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  23. #1823
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    i weigh a bit over 175lbs kitted up and from memory i was running 155-ish PSI. desired sag is 15mm according to the setup guide, but i was running a little more to try and use the full travel.
    Yes, I am a big Marzocchi fan, if I don't find something by September/October the 350 NCR Ti should be out, and I will wait for that. Definitely let me know how you like the 350 and how it does at Whistler!
    We are about the same weight so it makes it easy to see why we have the same issue on full travel .

  24. #1824
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28

    My build

    2013 Spitfire-image.jpg2013 Spitfire-image.jpg2013 Spitfire-image.jpg

    My Spitfire, just got it built up a few days ago. Probably not the best fork for this frame, but it's all I got at the moment, working on trying to get a new fork.

  25. #1825
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    Yes, I am a big Marzocchi fan, if I don't find something by September/October the 350 NCR Ti should be out, and I will wait for that. Definitely let me know how you like the 350 and how it does at Whistler!
    We are about the same weight so it makes it easy to see why we have the same issue on full travel .
    what is the supposed difference between the NCR Ti and CR? From what I can tell the NCR just gets the nickel stanchions and a lockout switch
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  26. #1826
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    what is the supposed difference between the NCR Ti and CR? From what I can tell the NCR just gets the nickel stanchions and a lockout switch
    There will be two versions the 350 NCR (Air sprung) and 350 NCR Ti (Ti coil). Each of these will use a lock out as well as the NCR cartridge (which is the same system as in the 380 C2R2 DH fork, a fully adjustable shimmed compression and rebound set up.

  27. #1827
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    From what I understand from my conversation with Marzocchi, all I lose by going with the CR is the lockout function and option for a Ti coil. The CR damper is still supposedly fully shimmed (at least the compression circuits).
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  28. #1828
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    From what I understand from my conversation with Marzocchi, all I lose by going with the CR is the lockout function and option for a Ti coil. The CR damper is still supposedly fully shimmed (at least the compression circuits).
    I am under the impression the NCR is its own cartridge, but I could have totally misunderstood what they explained to me about the three versions.

  29. #1829
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    Finally got my first ride in. Need to make a few adjustments but overall it went very well.

    -Large 2014 frame 650b dropouts
    -SRAM XX1 32T w/ Gripshift
    -Race Face Evolve 740mm 20mm rise
    -30mm Spank stem
    -Manitou Mattoc Expert 150mm
    -Cane Creek Inline
    -Shimano Zee brakes 180/160
    -Easton carbon seatpost w/ Sette seat
    -ZTR Crest rims, Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, Sapim spokes
    -Specialized 2.3 Butcher Control F, Purgatory Grid R

    2013 Spitfire-p5pb11258665.jpg
    2013 Spitfire-p5pb11258666.jpg

  30. #1830
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
    Finally got my first ride in. Need to make a few adjustments but overall it went very well.

    -Large 2014 frame 650b dropouts
    -SRAM XX1 32T w/ Gripshift
    -Race Face Evolve 740mm 20mm rise
    -30mm Spank stem
    -Manitou Mattoc Expert 150mm
    -Cane Creek Inline
    -Shimano Zee brakes 180/160
    -Easton carbon seatpost w/ Sette seat
    -ZTR Crest rims, Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, Sapim spokes
    -Specialized 2.3 Butcher Control F, Purgatory Grid R

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb11258665.jpg 
Views:	1937 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	913361
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb11258666.jpg 
Views:	2800 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	913362
    Very nice! What's your thoughts on the Mattoc fork and how did it ride? With a 30mm stem, how tall are you ?

  31. #1831
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    Very nice! What's your thoughts on the Mattoc fork and how did it ride? With a 30mm stem, how tall are you ?
    So far I like the fork. It's very plush and the adjustments make noticeable changes. I'm 5'10", however I wanted the short stem so I would sit further back in the cockpit without stretching my arms.

  32. #1832
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    188
    Nice build, though odd choice going for Zee brakes on a build that seems to be quite lightweight focussed?

  33. #1833
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Nice build, though odd choice going for Zee brakes on a build that seems to be quite lightweight focussed?
    I didn't want to worry about not ever having enough brake. Also, the Zee's really aren't much heavier than XTRs, and I found them cheaper than XTRs, with adapters.

  34. #1834
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    194

    2013 Spitfire

    Planning to change for 650b wheels. What about 650b rear wheel in 26'' dropouts ? I have read somewhere that it should be possible. I will try to understand what would be the consequences, but maybe has somebody already done the job?

  35. #1835
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852
    I run Rock Razor 27.5" in my 26" drops. Tight fit, so some taping should be done...

  36. #1836
    sui
    sui is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by radnark View Post
    Did you have any issue with the set-up with the 42T OneUp ring? I tried to get mine to work the other day on my Banshee Spitfire, but when I was trying to tune the derailleur I had issues with the derailleur arm clipping the 42T ring when I was upshifting? I wasn't sure if this was a set-up error on my part, or there was an issue with the derailleur hanger on the frame? I had to go back to 11-36T for the time being...
    I've had no issue at all with mine, though an admission of guilt that I asked the LBS to build it up, so they could've changed the screw??? The shifting runs smoother than any other setup I've had on other bikes, I couldn't say why mine works and others seem not to.

  37. #1837
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Well, the Marzocchi 350 CR showed up yesterday...no pictures yet, but this thing is the real deal. Seems well built and the chassis is an absolute tank for only weighing a shade over 4 lbs...with the 35mm stanchions and massive arch, I have no doubts that it will be stiffer than the XFusion Sweep it replaced. No real trail time, but a few quick laps near my house showed that the fork is very smooth through its stroke even without being broken in, and it certainly doesn't have the notchy feel that my XFusion had. Tons of range on the rebound adjustment, though the LSC adjuster only has something like 6 clicks so we'll see how big of a difference each one makes. I'm excited to put it through its paces later this week, but overall, initial quality impressions are very high.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  38. #1838
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    188
    My 350CR doesn't just yet touch on the Devilles performance, but I suspect that it will with some loving and bedding in.

    The quality of the finish is quite a bit cheaper, but it is a lovely looking fork nonetheless.

    I have a tremendous amount of stiction in the very first bit of the travel and suspect the seals are bone dry.

    I want to add a bit more oil too as I feel the forks should be a tab bit more progressive

  39. #1839
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    My 350CR doesn't just yet touch on the Devilles performance, but I suspect that it will with some loving and bedding in.

    The quality of the finish is quite a bit cheaper, but it is a lovely looking fork nonetheless.

    I have a tremendous amount of stiction in the very first bit of the travel and suspect the seals are bone dry.

    I want to add a bit more oil too as I feel the forks should be a tab bit more progressive
    I haven't ridden the Deville, but given the $400+ price difference between the two forks, I didn't quite expect the same in terms of quality - the deville has a full CNC machined steerer and crown after all.

    Mine has virtually no stiction in the first bit of travel right without any real ride time, but we'll see how it holds up. I agree that it doesn't feel too progressive at the moment, so a dab of oil in the air chamber may not be a bad call.

    The one thing I'm not stoked on is the lack of information available from Marzocchi - nobody seems to have info on oil volumes, rebuild procedures, etc.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  40. #1840
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
    So far I like the fork. It's very plush and the adjustments make noticeable changes. I'm 5'10", however I wanted the short stem so I would sit further back in the cockpit without stretching my arms.
    I debated over a large or medium , and doing the same thing you did if I had gone with the large by running a very short stem. But I didn't have the availability in my area to test a large so I didn't take the chance on the seat tube length and so I opted for the M. I am considering the Mattoc or the 350 marzocchi but irritated that they are not offering a 20mm thru axel, so I might look at a Fox since they are offering both 15mm or 20mm thru axels.

  41. #1841
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    28
    The one thing I'm not stoked on is the lack of information available from Marzocchi - nobody seems to have info on oil volumes, rebuild procedures, etc.[/QUOTE]

    I am willing to bet that chassis of the 350 is the same as the 55 Rc3, if not very close to it. The should pull apart the same and use the same oil levels. Marzocchi customer service has always been very nice and helpful to me. I bet if you call them they will tell you over the phone how many CC's of oil is needed.

  42. #1842
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    188
    I had this back from Marzocchi directly:

    Quote Originally Posted by Marzocchi

    Oil is Torko 7.5 Wt and aprox 24CC in each leg. for air pressure try running it closer to 70 PSI and running the compression adjuster 4 turns in.
    . I have had a handfull of the very first 350 CR forks feel a little sticky at the mid-upper end of the stroke and need extra lubrication at the seals. This is something that should be done at an authorized service center. It isn't difficult but that is what I am told. I do run a tad more oil than stock myself. Stock is only 20cc I run about 25-28 in the air and about 30 in the compression leg
    So now all I have to figure out, is how to open that badboy up

  43. #1843
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by sui View Post
    I've had no issue at all with mine, though an admission of guilt that I asked the LBS to build it up, so they could've changed the screw??? The shifting runs smoother than any other setup I've had on other bikes, I couldn't say why mine works and others seem not to.
    Oneupcomponents cage now fits Zee and does away with b screw adjustment.....

  44. #1844
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
    I debated over a large or medium , and doing the same thing you did if I had gone with the large by running a very short stem. But I didn't have the availability in my area to test a large so I didn't take the chance on the seat tube length and so I opted for the M. I am considering the Mattoc or the 350 marzocchi but irritated that they are not offering a 20mm thru axel, so I might look at a Fox since they are offering both 15mm or 20mm thru axels.
    Do you really need the 20 mm axle? The Mattoc 15mm QR is pretty stiff and super easy to remove and install.

  45. #1845
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeboardorblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    326
    Perhaps it's an existing wheelset/hub issue.

  46. #1846
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    188
    Most modern hubs can convert. I can't imagine that many (read: if anyone) can actually feel the stiffness difference between 15 and 20mm axles, all other things being equal in a blind test.

    I suspect negative feelings towards 15mm axles stem from riding flexy forks, with 15mm axles.

  47. #1847
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852

    Sv: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    I suspect negative feelings towards 15mm axles stem from riding flexy forks, with 15mm axles.
    15mm Fox 32 is a noodle.
    15mm Pike and I cannot tell the difference from my previous Lyrik on the same config otherwise.,.

  48. #1848
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    So now all I have to figure out, is how to open that badboy up
    please do share if you take a stab at it - inaugural ride and I was pretty amazed at the performance of the fork, but after a few cycles it did feel a bit sticky in the initial 1/3 of the stroke. the fork is very sensitive to air pressure - i'm going to drop a few PSI but will then likely want to run a bit more oil in at least the air spring.
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

  49. #1849
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    194

    2013 Spitfire

    I need you're help. I was planing to change fork and wheels in the next months, until I remarked yesterday that my complete drivetrain will soon fall apart. Totally crappy, plays in the rear der and cassette + chain + rings at the end of life...

    So I will certainly change for 1x10 with OneUp extension or to 1x11.

    But because I took the bike completely apart, I'm now asking you, should I put back the RS Sektor with special tune that I have or give a try to an old Fox 36 Float R ?



    What do you think ?

  50. #1850
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852
    Float!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •