Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Spitfire

510K views 3K replies 288 participants last post by  RS VR6 
#1 ·
What do we know so far?

Does it have bearings?
Adjustable geometry? Looks like there could be adjustable geo built into the dropouts.
Geo specs?

27.5" compatible dropouts as option

"Banshee Bikes 2013" by fakawi

#1,109 ·
Ok, so I've ordered myself a large 2014 spitfire. Should arrive this late week.
My build is pretty well ready to go, however I'm a little concerned as my fork has a lower than recommended axle to crown. I have a 150mm revelation with an axle to crown of 530mm, 15mm lower than ideal. I've searched for an EC56 lower headset cup, but all I can find is the cane creek Angleset, which I'm frankly just not willing to pay for.
Does anyone know of an alternative to the Angleset, at the moment I'm going to be running a larger front tire to attempt to correct the deficit, but would love to get hold of an EC56 lower cup.

Once again, all help appreciated.

#1,118 ·
Hello All

Been a long time lurker here on this forum and thought it was about time I contributed.

Been waiting for my Spitfire frame for quite some time so was pretty excited to pick it up on Monday. I've started the build but I'm waiting for a few drive train bits to arrive before I can finish her off.

One thing some of you may be interested in is that for the time being I'm going to be running my new 650b Pikes with my old 26 inch wheels. As you can see they just look normal, albeit with good clearance. A2C is the same as 160mm Fox 34's give or take.

The brown saddle is just for testing, I'm waiting for a black and blue Charge Scoop :cool:

#1,121 ·
Seems I was being a a whinger - with some careful consideration to the spec, without actually going all weight weenie, she's come in at a very respectable weight.

Really awful pics since I'm pulling in some shitty long days at work and only have a little bit of time at night to build it.

I did forget to put the front rotor on in that weight pic, so I hung it on as well - and it came to 29.23 lbs :)

#1,125 ·
Thanks.
My spec:
Large, painted blue frame
Lyrik Solo Air with AVA cartridge (heavier)
DBAir CS
X0 Trail brakes (200/180 rotors) (heavier)
1500 g Light Bicycle/Hope/Revo carbon rimmed wheels
full XX1
Syntace Vector and Megaforce 2 cockpit
Gravity dropper Turbo LP
SDG Duster
Works Angleset
Renthal Lock On grips
Nobby Nic Evo TSC 2.4" front
Hans Dampf Evo TSC 2.35 rear
Stan's Tubeless setup with tape
XTR M970 pedals
142x12 dropouts

#1,128 ·
I don't know how you can have such a light bike. Mine, a 2013 medium painted frame, is about 31 lbs

Here my build :

CCDB air
RS sektor
Hope hoops Archives EX with Hans Dampf front and rear
Zee brakes
X0 rear der and shifters
X0 front shifters and X7 front der
RS Reverb
Truvativ AKA Stem
Dartmoor Nitro handlebar
Race Face Deus XC drivetrain
Nukeproof pedals

I know it's not the lightest build, but it's reliable. Thinking to change the drivetrain for 1x10, but I need some more range and not a ghetto solution. I'm also thinking to change the rear tire fore a Maxxis ikon or Crossmark. But that will be for the summer. Such a tire in winter in Switzerland would be like a suicide....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1,131 ·
Can people sum up how great theirs are so i can justify buying one?

After a reasonably efficient bike i can rag.

What are the anti-squat and brake jack values at approx 25% sag, 34t chainring, middle of a typical cassette?

There's a rough model on linkage, just after a bit of verification?

What are they like for bottoming out? Good resistance?

#1,132 ·
Hahaha, how great is great ... ??? :D

Seriously - I don´t care too much about Anti-Squat. If it pedals without any Pedal-Kickback and very minimal bobbing (without Platform-Damping!!!) Suspension I´m fine. Some Riders, coming from the V1 and able to compare, have said the Pedal-Kickback is very much not noticable. I personally has never experienced one during this Season.

Same for Brake-Squat or Brake-Jack - All I feel is still ongoing smooth Traction and Suspension-Action when being hard on the rear Brake, lock-out Wheel or not.

Bottoming out is possibly something what depends on your Shock and Setup. For the CCDB´s there are several Airchamber-Volume-Reducer coming with the Shock. If the Travel feels too linear for your Liking put some Spacers in to get it more progressive in the last Quarter of Travel. This can be done by yourself, at least for the CCDB-Air. I don´t know for the other Shocks ...

The KS-Link feels very "neutral" to me. It´s the very first Short-Link-Design I like, because it excels well in every Aspect, feels more lively and more direct Feedback compared to some others. Very subtle on small Bumps, wide Midstroke, ramps up nicely and very plush overall.
Geometry and Sizing is the more important Part for me and it´s why I love the Spitfire so much. Very long, low and slack on Paper. But a lot more playfull and nimble than Numbers will tell you. Some are concerned because of the higher Frame-Weight. I never have the Feel the Spitfire, as a whole Bike, rides heavy or sluggish at all ...

#1,133 ·
Well, for what it's worth - the bike once again reminded me that I also fall into the trap of being overly academic about all the little details at times. Anti squat, effective toptubes, BB heigh, frame weight ... the lost goes on.

I got on the bike today for the first time, and didn't stop grinning - it was just a f*cking hoot to ride. It's long, low and slack, it pedals well.

Demo one, set it up like you would ride it and the bike will speak for itself.

Crappy pic of mine today:

#1,135 ·
Yea set it in the murder setting! :)
I went to Swinley Forest in Bracknell - just a trail centre with very manmade "homogenized" tracks. Good fun day out, just to get the feel of the sizing, suspension, bigger wheels and the like. Felt so fantastic everywhere, especially with the CDBair and the Deville working great together.

Went to Woburn Sands today, which is quite loose, loamy, sandy, jumpy type tracks - wanted to get the suspension dialled in a bit more - and there's plenty of very short, varying runs to give me a good idea.

Took a few vids:
Woburn Sands | Banshee Spitfire V2 teasting - YouTube

The spitty is the black in front - apart from the last section where it's just me.

#1,136 ·
Very nice Trail! And yes - BOS Deville and CCDB-Air are a great Combination. The Factory-Setting of the Deville, with the right Air-Pressure, felt great right out of the Box. So much that I keep it in this Setting, because I didn´t found something better. Just awesome as it is.

Due to the HA - it might be Camera-Perspective. The HA is actually slacker than shown. It´s more like this:

#1,137 ·
Hate to continue the dead horse beating here, but I've seen a lot of questions on sizing between M and L. Some of you guys that were on the edge have followed up with your thoughts and some haven't. I did put an order in for a Large this weekend, but I'm sure I can call tomorrow and change that if needed. I'm 5' 10" (179 cm) and probably close to 250 with gear. My current hardtail is a 22" (55.9 cm) top tube (but the stem is LONG at 120mm) and 19.5 (49.3 cm) seat tube, with about 8" (203 mm) extended out of the frame of a 375mm post of which 285mm is usable, to be at my desired height for XC stuff.

I'm concerned that with the medium I'm going to have very little (near minimum) seatpost insertion, but the TT on the large may be too much. I did ride my buddies 13 rune large over the weekend, and while its totally different from what I have (2000 trek 820, I'm making a big step here!) it felt good. I believe he has a 70mm stem on it. I have a 50 spec'd on the spitty right now. Am I going nuts right now over nothing, or should I go M?

#1,140 ·
sorry to go into bb height again, youll have to bear with me. Its just that I intend to run my spitty at slack setting and 26 wheels so 13 inch BB height. How is this affected by sag? still concerned that I could be plagued by rock strikes and by then the frame won't be returnable. Im not happy getting an angleset, increasing wheel size, shortening crank arms etc so the only option is to run it steep which I don't fancy doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.