Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

Hard funkinī Kraut
    The Shock-Size of the new Spittys is 7.875x2.25". Canīt quote for the V1, but seems like the i2i Length remains the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    7.875x2.25" (40.0x8mm hardwear at the back, and 25.4x8.0mm hardwear at the front). Depending on what the shock was tuned for, it may have to be retuned to work well, but if it is a stock coil shock it should work well.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone know what the reach numbers are on the spitfire and the rune? Mainly for the large and xl.

Any chance on stealth reverb routing?

These new bikes look very well thought out. I really like how there are some bikes out there now for people how like more agressive geo.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reach of the Rune V2:
    S - 393 mm
    M - 417 mm
    L - 441 mm
    XL - 466 mm

Reach of the Spitfire V2:
    S - 407 mm
    M - 427 mm
    L - 452 mm
    XL - 477 mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the quick response. I would have to say that the reach look spot on!

Is there full geo posted anywhere?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hi rich2007,

please check out the Preview from Bikerumor.com and the attached File.

Greetings
    NoStyle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-geo_spitfire_v2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen the specs on the new Norco 650b trail bikes? Geometry real similar to Banshee but they keep 16.9" chainstays on the 650b bikes! As much as I love Banshee, I'm leaning towards the Norco's as they're dedicated 650b's and not a compromise version. Would love to hear some opinions on this. The one big thing the Spitty has going for it tho is that it fits me true to size (mediums are a bit longer than normal) whereas I'm back to being in-between sizes with the Norco Sight Killer B.

For future Spitty's I'd like to see more focus on 650b and shorter chainstays as well as making the frame lighter. I think the frames are overbuilt now and could lose a good pound for general trail use. I have a AM/FR bike for that kind of riding; I just want to go fast on the Spitty! A carbon 650b with 16.9" chainstays would be ideal and compliment my AM/FR bike instead of overlapping with it like currently.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Gman086,

you hopefully have recognized that the Chainstays are growing within Framesize, from 419 mm (XS) to 436 (XL), plus the effective Seatangle is getting slacker (?!?). Also 66,5 HA is not really slack for a 160 mm Trailbike thats want to be "aggressive".

I would like to say it this way: Respect to Norco to jump full on the 650B-thing - I really like the new Killer-B and Sight. But in all honesty, the new Prime and Rune are one of the most aggressive Trailbikes out there and Spitfire is the absolute Leader in itīs own class.
    I have the feel that Geometry of 650Bs have the same variables as 26er. Watch the all new hyped Scott Genius, Cube, Jamis or Rotwild - Chainstays up to 450 mm ...

To the Frameweight: Why talking about making Frames lighter when there are no Production-Spittys yet?

And to the last: Yes, Iīm a big fan of short Chainstays, but having them around 437 - 441 mm for 650B is not that long. And judging by first Pictures there might be Clearance enough to shortem them slightly, but reasonable in the Future.

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    I'd seen the production frame weights and they weren't that different from the 2012's as I recall but please do correct me if I'm wrong. And yeah, I know about the chainstays and for a Medium, which is all I care about, I like them to be at about 16.9ish. The new Range Killer B looks to be the bike I'm after right down to the longer top tube length and 45" WB. Will have to try both but that's gonna be hard considering I'd have to find a Spitty or Rune demo with the 650b dropouts and wheels. I guess the real question is whether 650b is for real or not?

Have FUN!

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-15-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Ah ok, I have read a statement from Keith that the final Frameweights will be taken when the first Production-Frames are ready. As far as I know the Spitfire is going to hit Production in later Autum/Winter, because Prime and Rune will produced first, so no real weight-measurements at the moment besides the Prototypes I think ... ?

On the other hand I am not sure to compare the Killer-B with the Spitfire, as the 650B Sight is the Spitty-Competitor while the Rune is in Competition to the Killer-B ...
    But yes, maybe there is a chance to make Custom-Dropouts for shorter Chainstays for 650B ...

Iīm not in the 29er-Boat and Iīm not in the Boat saying 650B will kill the 26 - for me it is not "either-or" but "both". I will go with my current 26ers for the Park-Days and get a light 650B-Set for the Trail-Days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So will all Geo adjustments be done via the dropouts? The specs show slack, neutral and steep but there's no adjustment holes for the shock.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    So will all Geo adjustments be done via the dropouts?
    Yes, Dropouts and Flip-Chips.
    Depending on the Flip-Chips the Dropouts are "higher" mounted to the Rear-Triangle, for a slacker Angle, or "lower" mounted, for the steeper Geometry.

This Pic (from Eurobike) shows the neutral Setting:

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Some of these specs for the 2013 Spitfire are concerning. I ride a small 2011 Spitfire which fits well and the 2013 increases the WB from 43.4" to 44.6" and increases the Reach from 14.7" to 16". Both of those seem quite big jumps and if you opt for the 650b dropouts the WB goes all the way to 45". I too am liking the specs of the new Norco 650b bikes though for the life of me can't figure out how they get a 16.6" CS length on the small Site and Range Killer B with a 650b wheel/tire. The specs on the new Intense Tracer 275 also look more spot on for me with the 650b.

Before the small 2010 Spitfire I had a medium Spitfire with a 44.9" WB and a 15.9" Reach and it was too long for me to handle though the TT was also 23" on that bike.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    My personal opinion is:

There is too much talking about single Parameters like Reach, short Chainstays or too slack Headangles only ... Geometry always works as a whole, itīs not that short CS alone are the guarantee for a flickable Ride, or slack HA are a hindrance on steep technical climbs. To me it seems like 650B-specific Geometry has the same variety as 26ers have for years now. I know that I would never ride Trailbikes with steeper than 66er HA and slacker than 74er SA again - that is why 90 percent of the current and new offerings are falling from my selection ...
    As far as I know the new Spitfire has one of the lowest BBs, one of the steepest SAs (that must be the reason for the increast Reach) and the slackest HA - especially when going 650B. Slightly longer, low and slack are the ingredients for a fast tackling and aggressive Ride. If you ride more tight technical Terrain look for something else. The Spittys CSs are nicely in the middle of the long Scott/Rotwild/Jamis 450 mm and the short Norco/RockyMountain +/- 425 mm ...
    If you think that the new Norcos or Intenses are more spot on than go for them and enjoy the Ride! To me it is really curious that for the slightly bigger 650B some offer shorter CSs, steeper HAs and shorter Wheelbase than their 26ers do have ...
    Last edited by NoStyle; 09-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    ...Slightly longer, low and slack are the ingredients for a fast tackling and aggressive Ride...
    Guess I'm not the typical Spitty rider as I prefer the tall setting on my 2011 Small which yields a 67.3 degree HA and a 13.5" BBH. Perfect for the technical terrain I ride, only thing I'd change on it would be a slightly shorter CS and a more active rear which the new one has but at the expense of a full inch longer WB which I guess is my biggest concern since to me TT is a more important measurement than Reach. Regardless I may end up trying it as my family is Banshee through and through, other than my 2001 RFX on DH days we have the following in our garage:

2011 Banshee Spitfire Sm - mine
    2011 Banshee Amp Short - mine
    2010 Banshee Scythe Sm - my wife's
    2008 Banshee Rune Sm - my wife's
    2003 Banshee Morphine - my wife's

and prior to the Spitfire I owned a Banshee Rampant for 3 years as my trail bike. Tons of fun but not a great climber nor good on long rides. Banshee's have been very good for us, I just hope the WB on the 2013 small won't be a problem for me since all the other measurements work out for me using the tall/steep setting. Every FS bike in my garage including the RFX is a bushings bike, I look forward to finally trying a FS with bearings.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    What I mean is: There is a growing tendency in Geometry where AM/Enduro-Bikes get somehow streched out - slightly longer (WB), low (BB/Standover) and slack (HA). The Spitfire, as a Trailbike, seems to follow this Path more than the average Trailbikes do, regardless of the Wheelsize. For me personally this is great, as I am looking for some years now to get a Bike like this. Iīm too not shure if this is perfect when things get tight and technical, but I am willing to give it a go.
    Best thing for you is to demo-ride, if possible, all the Bikes on your Shortlist and check how you feel to it. I have a 1,5 deg Angleset on my Wildcard which lengthen the WB around 12 mm and it was pretty subtle to feel. One inch longer Wheelbase is definitely noticable - the question is: How much really? Does it still work for you? And: You still have the option to 1.) steepen the Angles and slightly shorten the CS/WB and 2.) to go with 26ers again and having the short CSs/WBs possible.

BTW: What an amazing Banshee-History

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    ...if possible, all the Bikes on your Shortlist and check how you feel to it...

BTW: What an amazing Banshee-History
    That would be the day, unfortunately in Massachusetts I've never even seen a Banshee or Norco in a bike shop. EMS used to carry Rocky Mountain but I'm not sure that's really even on my shortlist since they're using bushings. Shops around here carry the traditional Specialized, Trek, Cannondale and Giant MTB. I'd have to live out west to be able to try any of the bikes I've purchased in the last 15 years before buying them.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You can rent a demo bike from Rbikes.com I believe and if you choose to buy the bike at the end of the demo you get the rental fee off your purchase I think.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hello again,

Iīm sorting which Parts to go on the new Spitfire. Is there any Info which Direct-Mount-Standard is used (S1,S2 or S3) and which Front-Deraileur is the right one, whether Sram or Shimano (Shimano XT prefered)?

Thanks in advance
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hello again,

Iīm sorting which Parts to go on the new Spitfire. Is there any Info which Direct-Mount-Standard is used (S1,S2 or S3) and which Front-Deraileur is the right one, whether Sram or Shimano (Shimano XT prefered)?

Thanks in advance
    NoStyle
    The front derailleur standard for all new KS link bikes is S3. You need to have a down pull or dual pull derailleur. Every SRAM front derailleur we have tested has worked well, although 2x10 have greater all round clearance. We will be producing a list of compatible Shimano options soon, as not all Shimano options are compaitble. So for now I would recommend going with SRAM.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Thank you Keith.
    I am going 2x9 or 2x10 anyway and this will help alot. If you have any info which Shimano-Deraileurs will work properly I would be happy to know.

Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I know the 2012 SLX FD doesn't work (body f derailleur is too bulky), but the XT one I tried was fine. We have been waiting for shimano to provide all derialleurs we have asked for to check, but haven't recieved them yet.... thanks for reminding me to chase that up.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    okay fine.
    when will the spitfire available in europa ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I know the 2012 SLX FD doesn't work (body f derailleur is too bulky), but the XT one I tried was fine. We have been waiting for shimano to provide all derialleurs we have asked for to check, but haven't recieved them yet.... thanks for reminding me to chase that up.

Is it the same thing with the Rune?

I bought a 2013 Shimano SLX FD M675 E Type.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I can't confirm yet, as I haven't checked production rune frames, the previous information is from checking on the prime, which is the frame that is most likely to have interference issues due to space restrictions on 29er. I'll ask Jay to check one of the Rune V2's that have just finished being assembled.
    Last edited by builttoride; 10-02-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast