Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2447

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eightyfive View Post
    probably ride more aggressively on Spity
    Perhaps you're a bigger hitter than me, but I've put the DH bike down entirely over winter and rode the Spitty both on trail and DH - and it's yet to drop a chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Perhaps you're a bigger hitter than me, but I've put the DH bike down entirely over winter and rode the Spitty both on trail and DH - and it's yet to drop a chain.
    my Dh bike gets very little use these days: only places in UK i'd prefer to ride it than the spitty is fort bill, revolution and Llangollen. Anything Bike park-y and Id prefer the spitty rather than a sluggish 8 incher. Also yet to drop a chain

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    If the curve is progreesive, doesnt that mean a higher leverage ratio at beginning of stroke than at the end of stroke, so doesnt that actually mean that the shock moves more for a given amount of travel at the end of stroke than the beginning? since leverage ratio equals travel divided by shock stroke
    D'oh, must have been a long day, yeah, sorry I meant the other way round... have edited my comment now. Good spot.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    my Dh bike gets very little use these days: only places in UK i'd prefer to ride it than the spitty is fort bill, revolution and Llangollen. Anything Bike park-y and Id prefer the spitty rather than a sluggish 8 incher. Also yet to drop a chain
    This is good. This is real good. I am so pumped to get mine.

Keith! Typically how long to ship from your neck of the woods to the midwest?? I am hoping to have mine next week sometime...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Haha pretty much the same.
    I had this just standing around since August last year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

9 months of weekly/fortnight service from my red spitty, no problem so far, lots of great moments and happy trails to explore.. cheers!

bismojo & friends at west java, indonesia in Bandung, Indonesia - photo by bismojo - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Spity on trail

2013 Spitfire-p4pb10691041.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok this is maybe a really stupid question but given this is my first full DIY build I'm really stuck with what headset to stick in the spitty and whether it's something I can fit at home or does it need to be done at a lbs.

mtbr member
    If you are don't have a headset presss get your shop to do it, it shouldn't cost much and will save you a headache. Ask to watch and learn though!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's piss easy to do. I ended up buying a headset press (£30 ish in the UK from Superstar), but a rubber mallet can be used to equally successful results.

I agree that people should build a relationship with your LBS, but to be honest - buy the press once at the same cost as the shop will charge you and learn how to do it yourself.

MTB B'dos
    Don't worry to waste your money buying a "legit" press, just go to a local hardware store and buy some threaded rod and big washers and wing nuts and make your own, it's dead easy to do, once you're not a moron. Check out this detailed thread about how to do it (MkIII) Homemade Headset Tools...
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimateweevil View Post
    Ok this is maybe a really stupid question but given this is my first full DIY build I'm really stuck with what headset to stick in the spitty and whether it's something I can fit at home or does it need to be done at a lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    If you are don't have a headset presss get your shop to do it, it shouldn't cost much and will save you a headache. Ask to watch and learn though!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Spitty in action.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Very nice, we need more Spitty action shots. Far too many clean stationary shots, my own included!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

undercover brother
    Please don't use a rubber mallet to install your headset. People will say it works, but I bet you'd be pretty pissed when you ovalize your brand new headtube and banshee tells you youre an idiot for doing so (as they should). A headset press is a solid investment.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you've got to be a class A retard to ovalise your headtube with a mallet.

undercover brother
    No, you've got to stupid to install a headset with a mallet. Telling someone to install a headset incorrectly on their new frame is not a good idea. Will you take credit where its due if he screws up? No, so install it correctly. End of argument.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Jesus, did someone piss in your fruitloops this morning?

I did say to buy a press, however I've fitted numerous headsets with a mallet...and grace...successfully without screwing up anything.

FM
    mtbr member

I would be careful with this.
    I do have a homemade headset press, but it's not something I'd recommend.

IF you want to press in yourself, don't use a mallet, make a press. For the threaded rod (or a very long bolt works fine), the larger diameter the better, and finer thread the better. You'll want a stack of washers to prevent them from distorting. Make sure the washers fit tight around the bolt/threaded rod, sit against the flat part of the nut (not the radiused outer edge) and have plenty of overlap outside the headtube. Make sure only the headset cup is being loaded, never the bearing. Forget the wingnut. Press one cup in at a time; if they aren't going in squarely, stop, tap the cup out and start over.

I am fairly positive a DIY headset press voids your warranty. I'd have the LBS do it if at all possible just to be safe. I had my Prime cups pressed in by my LBS even though I have a press. Your call though.
    Last edited by FM; 03-13-2014 at 06:54 AM.

FM
    mtbr member
    By the way... reason I posted on this... last year I had a bad experience pressing a King headset into a Kona Honzo frame. I was using a Park HHP-2 headset press and the headset was a fight to get in and the upper cup was basically seized once installed. It turned out the 44mm head tube was actually 44.3mm. This is out of tolerance in a range that will some headsets but not others.

It all worked out, but soured me on the DIY approach even with pro tools. You can't expect much warranty support or customer service if you hit any issues with a DIY install- even if it might work fine 75% of the time.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Heres my action video makes a change from all the still shots .you cant see my spitfire as its a headcam.its resulted in a broken arm,an operation to fit metal plates and wires and time of work.

My bikes fine though thank god lol .happened mid febuary not expecting to ride till April im very bored and going stir crazy

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/352655/

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1394736367076.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    aww. bad action. :/ get well soon dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah I'm going to go the safe route and I'm getting one of the lbs to fit one for me, although I could probably do it myself if I bought a press but I'd rather not take any chances

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah I'm going to go the safe route and I'm getting one of the lbs to fit one for me, although I could probably do it myself if I bought a press but I'd rather not take any chances
    I agree get the LBS to do it - you probably won't need to install new cups for the lifetime of the frame so its a very rare job and not worth getting a Park tools press or whatever. I tried to bodge it on one frame and bent one of the cups

if you buy the headset from lbs then they should fit it for free anyway

mtbr member
    Made a few upgrades and cleaned the bike up so figured I'd share a few shots. Really liking the chromag BZA bar/stem. Really stiff but have that nice carbon feel. Replaced my Crossmax SX wheels with i9 enduros and they are great too. Came up short guinea pigging a new gap we built over the winter and was afraid to look but the rear wheel was perfect. I hadf considered the trail wheels, but stupid sh!t like that is why I'm glad I went with the enduros. Anyhow, I feel the same way everyone else does--this bike is tits. Can't wait for winter to really end to try out the new stuff we've been building...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-spitty-2.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty-3.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty-4.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty-5.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-spitty.jpg  

Last edited by NCBigHit; 03-17-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quick question about sag.
    When setting sag, do you do that seated or standing in the attack position?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Quick question about sag.
    When setting sag, do you do that seated or standing in the attack position?
    Devinci Sag Setup - YouTube

For reference, I do it different than DW says for trail bikes.
    I don’t care about my suspension performance when just sitting and riding a trail. So therefore I measure my sag in the standing / attack position, because that’s when I give a sh!t about suspension performance

Mr. Knowitall
    Actually, that video gave med less respect for DW. Measuring sag with pump still attached is and introduces error due to the extended air volume from the pump.

Anyway: fork is set in attack position.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't do it with the pump attached, but I'll just assume that he knows an awful lot more about these things than I do and perhaps doesn't make a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    it is vital you remove the pump from the equation when setting sag. At least uncrew it until it releases pressure from the pump and shock retains.

I set sag in the best approximation of the position I will be in when riding. So standing on DH bikes, and sitting on trail bikes... I then ride the bike and adjust if I want. it is more important to use a sag point that feels good than one that is an exact percentage. Every rider is different and every riding style is too... so I encourage all customers to play around with setup a bit, and certainly never use phone apps or other peoples recomendadtions as a final setting... not even base tunes, those are just a sugested starting point.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    ... so I encourage all customers to play around with setup a bit, and certainly never use phone apps or other peoples recomendadtions as a final setting... not even base tunes, those are just a sugested starting point.
    I like to say that the CCDB base-tunes you Banshee-Guys have developed with CaneCreek do a very good job - right pressure and just a little more LSC+LSR and there it is!

According sag: If possible I try both, attack-position and staying seated. Sag is around 23 to 25 % front and rear, as I like it sitting somehow a little more higher in travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

A very personal thing, suspension settings. The base tunes from CAne Creek are pretty good. But I agree with NoStyle, a little bit more LSC and a little faster LSR for me, give a me a very playful bike. And I also have less HSC, maybe because I'm not a jumper, and I rode during years a rigid bike...

Sam

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here's a few pics of my Spitfire, with a few updates and ready to rock !

As you can seen, I'm sticking with 26" simply because I feel the Spitfire better suits my riding style / terrain in this set-up

-Spitfire - photo by superq - Pinkbike
    Last edited by superQ; 03-23-2014 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere in the mountains
    2013 Spitfire-p1030092.jpg

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by superQ View Post
    Here's a few pics of my Spitfire, with a few updates and ready to rock !

As you can seen, I'm sticking with 26" simply because I feel the Spitfire better suits my riding style / terrain in this set-up

Hi superQ,

can you please give some riding-impressions on the BOS Kirk. I´m very much pleased with the CCDB-Air, same with my BOS Deville, even when there are lighter options available right now (RS Pike, Manitou Mattoc, Formula 35). The Kirk, in theory, would be the one and only shock I would go instead of the Double-Barrel ...

Very nice Spitfire you have there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks !

Although I've always been a great fan of BOS suspensions, I must say I've ridden the DBair all season and I've been very pleased with it as well.

Neverthelss, now I'd say I prefer the Kirk. It rides like a S**Toy coil shock on downhills and rough sections (amazing grip, predictable feel, less harsh feel at the beginning of the stroke ...). So, in my opinion, it is slightly better than a DBair. For me, this is mostly due to the shock's conception for the ground-up. The internals are very similar to the ones found on the S**Toy DH shock. So you get a specific setting for your bike and very predictable grip.

Then, on pedaling / uphill sections, the pseudo-lockout helps a lot and really sets it ahead from the DBair (the standard one, not the CS...which I haven't tried yet).

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by superQ View Post
    Thanks !

Although I've always been a great fan of BOS suspensions, I must say I've ridden the DBair all season and I've been very pleased with it as well.

Neverthelss, now I'd say I prefer the Kirk. It rides like a S**Toy coil shock on downhills and rough sections (amazing grip, predictable feel, less harsh feel at the beginning of the stroke ...). So, in my opinion, it is slightly better than a DBair. For me, this is mostly due to the shock's conception for the ground-up. The internals are very similar to the ones found on the S**Toy DH shock. So you get a specific setting for your bike and very predictable grip.

Then, on pedaling / uphill sections, the pseudo-lockout helps a lot and really sets it ahead from the DBair (the standard one, not the CS...which I haven't tried yet).
    Thank you!

I have the regular CCDB as well, no VX or CS. Again I´m very pleased, but the Kirk could be a lighter and possible more pedalfriendly upgrade on the highest level for the Spitfire, depending on my personal usage and trails I ride.

Did your Kirk got a specific setting for the Spitfire? If yes, what information does BOS need? And how can I order this? Through the LBS or Distribution?

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yes, like any BOS shock it comes with a specific setting (and mooting hardware of course) for your bike. And at no extra cost !
    When you order a shock from them (through your LBS, distributor etc.) you should indicate your bike model and weight. The latter can be useful for them to chose between one setting or another if two settings suit the kinematics of your frame. In particular, I know that, although only one is mentioned in their chart, they have two settings available for the Spitfire and one of those is especially suited for "big guys" as it has a thicker shim for rebound.

You can have a look at this chart :

http://www.bosmtb.com/uploads/media/...04-03-2014.pdf

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Thanks superQ for all this information!

Would be very much usefull in the case of going for the BOS Kirk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Took part in a local Dh race at the weekend along with a few Uk world cup riders at Innerleithen.
    The Spitfire did me proud! It was my first time using Bos suspension and that fork is some kind of magic, I think it has magnets. Managed 12th out of 52 riders in masters cat (30-39yo)
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/594625

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    Took part in a local Dh race at the weekend along with a few Uk world cup riders at Innerleithen.
    The Spitfire did me proud! It was my first time using Bos suspension and that fork is some kind of magic, I think it has magnets. Managed 12th out of 52 riders in masters cat (30-39yo)
    https://www.rootsandrain.com/photos/594625
    That is awesome, congrats!
    I'm deliberating picking up a BOS kirk for my prime. Being laid up leaves me too much time to ponder upgrades LOL

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    That is awesome, congrats!
    I'm deliberating picking up a BOS kirk for my prime. Being laid up leaves me too much time to ponder upgrades LOL
    After seeing superQ's spitty that's exactly what's on my mind too! The double barrel CS is very good though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    just finished some upgrades, new color scheme! waiting for the mud around here to dry out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-resizedp1010558.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some more BikePark Wales action this weekend. Slightly dented the Spitty around the bottom of the BB, but totally worth it

Rocks and gnar flying everywhere, she sure as hell rode like scolded cat!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-p5pb10768545.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok I've got to be taking what feels like forever to get my spitty finished but wheels and forks should be here next week so I'm looking for suggestions on tyres. My last bike was a meta 5.5 and I was running a nevegal up front and a high roller out back but no longer rate the HR given the loss of grip I had with it on some wet trails that led to my broken arm which has kept me off the bike for the last 4 months.

I have gone 650b for the new build btw.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hans Damf for all-round greatness

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I run Hans Dampf 2,35" trailstar in the front and Continental Trail King 2,2" Protection (and that is a big tire for a 2,2") in the back. I like the HD on the front, but as a rear tyre I think it is too slow and wears to fast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm running a Magic Mary 2.35 Trailstar up front and a Trail King 2.2 Protection out the back. TK is a really great rear tyre - rolls far faster than it looks like it should, very good braking and driving grip, good edge grip and lets go very progressively so it's easy to balance on the limit - and it's incredibly hard wearing for a sticky compound. The Magic Mary is ridiculously grippy, especially the huge side knobs and not too slow rolling.

Both these tyres actually measure the width they claim to (on Flow EX rims)! MM is widest at the edge knobs, TK is widest at the carcass (so is particularly huge volume for its size). If reviewed in a magazine they would be described as really big for their size but it's just that historically tyres tend to be undersized ("oh wow, this tyre is really light for a 2.35" says the owner of a new 2.35 tyre that's only 2.2" across...)

On 27.5 wheels the MM gives an outside diameter of 28.5", the TK 28".

This pairing works in everything from greasy deep mud to bone dry hardpack but it's at its best when it's a mix of wet, dry, loose, mud, rocks and plenty of ups and downs. Not XC summer tyres or DH mud race tyres!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    threehats: Have tried HD as a front and can you compare the two? Also, have you used TK as a front tyre? I need another winter option since the trail star tyres does not work that well when it is freezing cold. Im thinking of going with the TK, but im a little scared that it will slipp alot before the shoulder lugs catches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, given I'm riding in the UK can anyone comment on performance of any of these on wet roots in particular as a lot of the trails I'm riding can be quite rooty

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The TK is the best tyre I have used on wet roots. The HD is also good, I dont think anything really grips that much on wet roots. The TK proably does well because of the large volym and the paddles that can catch.