Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Here is mine again. Updates are CCDB-Air and 650B-Wheelset (WTB Frequency i23, Tune MK King/Kong, Sapim Race/Laser, Schwalbe HansDampf 2.25 Trailstar, AV13). Weight is now 13,8 kg because of the loss of 993 Gramms versus my solid 26er Wheelset. Dropouts are the 26 who give enough Clearance in more dry Conditions. For bigger Volume-Tires (2.35 or 2.4) - they may fit too, but would suggest the 650B-Dropouts, especially for muddy Conditions you want more Clearance.

All I can say is: Iīm impressed to the maximum!

The CCDB-Air needs some minor Tweaking from the Base-Tune. There is minimal Bob when Pedalling seated, which the Evolver didnīt have, but apart from that Banshee and CaneCreek have done a good Job with the Base-Tune. Itīs a well dialed Setup to start with and I think a few Clicks more LSC and Iīm done so far. The KS-Link with CCDB-Air and BOS Deville Fork simply is by far the best Suspension I have ever experienced - wow!

The 650B Wheel is harder to tell what makes it so cool and different - and probably "better". Almost 1 Kilo Weightsaving is massive on a Wheelset and makes it difficult to describe if itīs the slightly bigger Size or the lighter Weight. Acceleration is a lot more effortless, just a few Pedalstrokes and you are up to Speed. Yes, slightly better Small-Bump-Absorbtion, slightly better Traction when Breaking and Cornering - but the last two depend very much on Tire-Choice. Less Stiffness? No - thatīs depending on the Wheelset-Buildquality. Mine is 1711 Gramms but feel as stiff as my Hardcore-26-Wheelset. Less playfull? No, not at all. With the 26 Dropouts the Difference was hard to notice. At least it gives a bit more Comfort on a long Bike-Day. And itīs a great Combination for those who donīt need 150 or 160 mm Travel in the Back!

My Geometry-Settings werenīt touched yet. Still neutral Setting in the Back and -1 Deg Angleset = 74 Deg Seatangle and 65,5 Deg Headangle. Itīs bang on right there where others do their "650B-specific Geometry and Kinematics". But when it comes to Slackness ... well ... you know ...

Damn - I love this Bike even more!

Attachment 792305
    You should try a 29er (Prime)

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hehehehe .. oh well
    Honestly - this is my first Time running bigger Wheels that 26 on a MTB, and it feels really good. Of course the Difference is not that much, so nothing really unexpected. For now Iīm very pleased with the Spitfire as it is, but might get a potential Buyer for the new Phantom in the Future, as I like Short(er) Travel with slack Geometry very much!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How about a quick answer. Looking on the web site I see the geo says it was figured on a 545 a-c fork, so I assume that is a 160mm fork? Is that the fork in most of the Pics and videos on the site a 160? What is a-c on a Fox 34 150mm 27.5?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Fox 34 650b at 150mm travel setting has an axle to crown height of 544.4mm.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Fox 34 650b at 150mm travel setting has an axle to crown height of 544.4mm.
    Thanks

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Lovely Spitfire, from Seaotters Banshee-Booth:

Banshee Bikes -Spitfire in 27.5 - Sick Lines Gallery

Greetings from sunny Cologne in Germany
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I love my spitfire! The most fun frame I've ever ridden, every time I ride it it seems to get faster and faster. I just fitted a reverb and have had no problems with the post slipping! Been playing about with DBair, from the base tune I have taken off 1/2 turn of hrs and 1/2 turn hsc. For climbing I add 3 clicks of lsc and 2 lsr and for decending I back off the lsc 2 clicks this gives me a lively poppy feel which I like..

2013 Spitfire-image.jpg

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Nice Picture - and good to hear that you really enjoy the Spitfire!
    Love mine too. Never had so much fun for some Time, and the Wildcard already was a damn good Fun-Machine.

Would like to try your CCDB-Settings, especially the slightly increase of HSR, instead of HSC alone, should help a little for the Pedalling.

BTW: Any ongoing Desicions according to 650B? All I can say is: Donīt be afraid - 650B and Spitfire are a great Match!

Many Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Still can't decide on 650b don't want to have to buy new dropouts. If I was going to do it I would like to use my 10mm bolt thru hubs to build the wheels. I have taken off hrs and hsc by 1/2 click not increased it I think the bike rides well like this. Just back from a ride now and it had a lot of climbing so I added 4 lsc from base tune and 2lsr and it climbed amazing no bob or bouncing over roots etc, then at the top take off 2 lsc and fly back down... So my setting are hsc 1.5, hsr 1.5, lsr 14 and lsc 14 for climbing 12 decending 13mm sag, let me know what you think.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Heyho,

Starting from the Base-Tune there was little Bob. Added 3 Clicks LSC and the Bob turns into a very little Pump. You donīt feel it, but you can see it. I was given the Advice to additional increase the LSR to slow the Motion a bit, so I have added 3 Clicks there, too. Iīm going to test it tomorrow. If I donīt feel the Bob than Iīm fine. Sag is 13 mm on mine, too -> HSC 2, LSC 13, HSR 2, LSC 13 to check.
    I have saved your Setup and will check it out tomorrow ...

If you want to go with your 10 mm Bolt-Thru-Hub, which is of course reasonable, you may be limited in Tire-Choice on 650B. The HD 2.25 is great for Allday-Rides and is much more grippy than the 2.25 NobbyNic, plus thereīs enough Clearance. Iīm not sure if a bigger Tire fits clear enough, plus there are good grippy 650B Tires to be released the next few Weeks ...
    The Cross-Braces at the Short-Links offer plenty Clearance, but the Cross-Brace in the Middle and the vertical Strut on the Drive-Side limit the Clearance more than the other two Braces do. If Banshee would "redesign" these two all Dropouts could be shortened for 5 to 7 mm and would still give plenty Clearance.
    The 26 Dropouts with 650B would take a 2.35 or 2.4 only in dry Conditions I guess.
    Tough Desicion ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Got my M spitfire last monday and built it up.
    It has been a really long wait aboout 3 1/2 months. I ordered a Frame using the Banshee Upgrade program and 2 weeks after my order I noticed a crack appearing around the BB on my old
    Last edited by tokrot; 04-29-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: mistake

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hi tokrot, I believe a lot of us had to wait Weeks or Months for our Frames, but it is worth the Wait - and especially in your Case - Perfect Timing!?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New Spitty

Been on a 5 rides so far and really loving it.
    I have not been riding my old rune for months because of a cracked frame just getting out on an old ss a few times, the v2 spitfire seems to be a very similar fit to my old rune even with the same 60mm stem? (maybe I been on ss too long)
    Pedalling position is different and feels much more positive, every pedal is more powerful. This bike is extremely stiff!
    Im 5'11" and glad I went M (same as my old rune)
    So far really happy with the Fox Float 34 65psi(factory banshee in black) I'm preferring to leave it in descend mode I don't find it brake dives that bad. Although it seems to stiffin up when it hasn't been working, not sure if that's a fault or not, for example If I leave it sittin for a while and push on handle bars in its like its in climb mode then eventually it 'frees up'
    I also prefer the rear fox in descend mode, rarely bottoms out with around 14-15mm sag. (180psi)
    Still playing with sus settings...
    I see a lot of riders love the Hans Damf, not real common in NZ, I have been riding 2.25 Maxxis Ardents for a couple of years great tire but I have burped both f&R about 8 times and just did it on the new spitty so they are gone sick of it. I have got some system 4 Intense and had some b4 the ardents and I really rate them, although my local trails are probably well suited to that sort of tire, mostly hard packed dirt and the odd tree root, conditions stay fairly consistent summer winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-img_5066.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-img_5069.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I want to raise the BB a bit and keep it slack, but cant find an external lower 56mm cup headset. Is there such a thing, or is there any way to add a spacer to the fork crown? 1.5 steerer

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Haven't seen a 56mm external lower. I'd go Works Components angle set and put the flip chips in the high setting
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I havenīt found an external 1.5 Cup yet. Woudnīt it be better to go with steeper Flip-Chip-Setting and Angleset? As far as I know these have external Cup for 1.5, plus you can adjust the HA if you like.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply's

Aren't anglesets like $200-$300. I want to raise the BB, not just slacken the HA
    I have a full 1.5 will that even work.
    I've been riding in the steep setting for the old school shore trails just to try to avoid pedal smacks, but want to slacken it by .5 degree.
    A new external lower cup would be the answer as it would raise my axle to crown. It would slacken it as well as raise the BB. Don't really have the money for an angleset.
    I guess you cant put your crown race on some kind of spacer?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hmmm yes ... the CCs are more expensive if you buy them as a complete Set (several Cups included). For one single Angle the Works-Components are cheaper, plus no upcharge for Custom-Order.
    So far I havenīt found an external Cup for your Configuration. Iīm not sure if Spacing works properly - maybe a Bike-Shop can give an Answer?!? So maybe an -0,5 or -1 Deg Angleset with lower external Cup could be your Ticket.

mtbr member
    The CC anglesets are available in a 56 EC (external cup) version, AFAIK they are the only external 56 cups available so far.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Install a 650B front wheel only (fork depending of course) is another option. Or front and back both which will raise the BB at least 1/2".
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Install a 650B front wheel only (fork depending of course) is another option. Or front and back both which will raise the BB at least 1/2".
    I would start there!

Hard funkinī Kraut
    This would be a good Option too, but by far more expensive ...

But: The Banshee Geometry-Charts are very accurate! My BB is at 345 mm in neutral Setting and 650B. Already low enough and could go lower!

At least MartinS has it - unfortunately there is no external 56 mm lower Cup at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Measured several times, my bb is 13.25" in the steep setting.
    Website says 13.5"
    Also the wheel base is 1/2" longer, which is considerably longer than manufactures website.
    BTW I have minions 2.35 x 26 and 545mm lyric

I wish both of these were what is listed on the manufactures site.
    .......and then there is the weight they list.

I don't find Banshees info accurate atoll.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Nescafe View Post
    ... I don't find Banshees info accurate atoll.
    Hmm ... my Measurements are all correct, with both Wheelsizes, due to A2C-Height of my Fork and ZS-Headset?!?

Anyway: Doesnīt help you for your External Cup-Dilemma ... :-/

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Here is mine again. Had the Chance to switch Frames with a german Guy who didnīt feel really comfortable on his new large Frame. I was unsure myself if medium is the really perfect Size for me. After a Phonecall we made it happen.

I have to check a new Chain-Device, or going Clutch-Derailler. Maybe a 40 mm Stem does fit the bill 100%, but itīs good as it is.

This one has the -0,5 Deg Angleset, so Geometry is:
    - Flip-Chip neutral
    - Seatangle 74 Deg
    - Headangle 66 Deg
    - BB 346 mm
    - 650B Wheels in 26" Dropouts
    - Wheelbase: 1182 mm

Did some Modifications on the Frame that will void Warranty, but this Baby is here to stay for some Years ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-banshee-spitfire-650b.jpg  

Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 ... LastLast