Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokepeddler View Post
    Seriously I love this bike. I am going to upgrade the shock to the new Xfusion Vector Air HLR. I think the big can and boost valve will help keep from bottoming out when jumping to flat. Other than that, this bike tears corners like no bike I have ever ridden. Well done Banshee. Also mine weighs in at 29.1 pounds with a 34 float fork, that is not bad in my book.
    if you're running the Fox Float CTD I suggest trying a small reducer first. It has worked excellent for me on the V1 and now V2. I'm around 200lb, run 165psi, 16mm of sag (2 more than recommended) and use all the travel but have yet to feel it bottom out on challenging terrain....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone knows, which bearing types/sizes are used in the V2 Spitfire?

mtbr member
    I believe they are the same as the Prime proto.

4 x 6001 2RS
    4 x 608 2RS

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    if you're running the Fox Float CTD I suggest trying a small reducer first. It has worked excellent for me on the V1 and now V2. I'm around 200lb, run 165psi, 16mm of sag (2 more than recommended) and use all the travel but have yet to feel it bottom out on challenging terrain....
    Felt like i was blowing through the travel too, close to 195 geared up. running about 205psi to get the right sag. Bought the reducer and I hope this solves the issue.

Other than that this bike really tears up the downhills. love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coocoomike View Post
    Felt like i was blowing through the travel too, close to 195 geared up. running about 205psi to get the right sag. Bought the reducer and I hope this solves the issue.

Other than that this bike really tears up the downhills. love it.
    wow 205psi seems excessively high to me, I weigh the same and run 40psi less...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    wow 205psi seems excessively high to me, I weigh the same and run 40psi less...

Maybe my gauge is wrong, but to get the right sag (~14mm), i have to run it that high. Even with that pressure, I still go through all of its travel.

In any case, I'm loving this bike. The new KS link and geo is pretty amazing. Took it on a nice shuttle run yesterday where i usually have my DH bike. No complaints, super fun and poppy. Really stable in the air. Rear suspension feels great over braking bumps. And carves great through the turns.

I'm hoping the reducers will ramp up the shock just a little harder through its end stroke.

2013 Spitfire-photo-5.jpg
    Last edited by coocoomike; 03-31-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: content

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2013 Spitfire

I really wish I could get my hands on one but they seem to be sold out ( in medium anyway) and getting conflicting info on future availability from stores.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Joining the Spitfire clan

Frame finally ordered (sold my Jamis Dakar 650) with ETA about a week. Went with the Raw in size large as it's supposed to be available now. Black would be maybe 5-6 weeks for the next shipment if I wanted that. Son #2 was handy at the decision time and voted Raw so I went for it. 650B of course Pretty pumped.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Has Banshee responded to the seat tube diameter issue? Seems pretty common on the new frames (rune, spitfire).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    Has Banshee responded to the seat tube diameter issue? Seems pretty common on the new frames (rune, spitfire).
    It would be good to hear this addressed I agree as it's the one thing that worries me with a frame ordered now. I asked my dealer to have it checked at the distributor before they ship the frame if possible.

builttoride what you say to this matter???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    It would be good to hear this addressed I agree as it's the one thing that worries me with a frame ordered now. I asked my dealer to have it checked at the distributor before they ship the frame if possible.

builttoride what you say to this matter???
    Agreed. I'm not buying the frame until the issue is recognized/solved by Banshee.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for what its worth I'm one of the people who complained about the seat tube diameter being off, but so far my salsa QR has not had trouble holding the seat post in place, albeit with it tightened down more than on my old V1 frame, which does concern me still.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    When we became aware of the seat tube tolerances being slightly on the large side on some frames, which potentially causes some slipping when combined with certain seatposts, we looked into the issue and had the factory service the bearings on the reamer to ensure there was no vibration happeneing. The seatubes have had tighter tolerances since the first production.

If you do feel that your post slipps a bit over time then I'd recommend trying some carbon paste if your post doesn't allow for a tight clamp to be used.
    Last edited by builttoride; 04-09-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So... what exactly would that mean for people having frames with higher tolerances?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

AW: 2013 Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    When we became aware of the seat tube tolerances being slightly on the large side on some frames, which potentially causes some slipping when combined with certain seatposts, we looked into the issue and had the factory service the bearings on the reamer to ensure there was no vibration happeneing. The seatubes have had tighter tolerances since the first production.

If you do feel that your post slipps a bit over time then I'd recommend trying some carbon paste if your post doesn't allow for a tight clamp to be used.
    Wow. Banshee. The bushing issue on the V1 gets a follow up with this one on the V2. You should work on your QA during production. Just recommending carbon paste is not professional...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kijan View Post
    Wow. Banshee. The bushing issue on the V1 gets a follow up with this one on the V2. You should work on your QA during production. Just recommending carbon paste is not professional...
    That seems a bit harsh, overall people appear to be damn happy with their V2, I am. I can live with some carbon paste over the fn bushing disaster called V1 for sure.

mtbr member
    Spitfire on Bikemag: 26er/650b Death Match?With Puppets

Nucking Futs
    but still, it is sad to hear an (age) old problem occur on newer frame's. one should learn from previous problems to create a better product right? but to be realistic what other options do you have than to recommand carbon paste? it's not even a bad idea, and you can't expect a company to swap each front triangle for such small tollerance problems.
    Amplify your Ūide

Spitfire Amp Scythe

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In my eyes, banshee is a group of freaks who design really cool bikes which ride fantastic (Yes, I love my V1 spitfire, but hate it's bushing and wear issue). But: this company seems to lack professionality. There is no adequate communication about shipping dates, quality control seems to be not professional (production in taiwan needs full time presence during production to ensure quality) The V1 had this design flaw regarding the wearing links, I assume it also was an effect of wrong production tolerances with unwanted forces on the bushings...

I got a V2 upgrade promised due to my wearing V1 frame, the importer promised to deliver beginning of the year, currently I get neither updates nor responses anymore.

@builttoride: what's going on here? eventually you should stop your marketing stuff, presenting on bike mag and whatever - but get your production under control and delivery chain fixed. If you want to run a successful bike company, that's top prio of your job.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    But: this company seems to lack professionality.
    I would like to add that Keith was spotted wearing t-shirt and jeans in several promo videos.

Totally unprofessional!

Hard funkinī Kraut
    ... production in taiwan needs full time presence during production to ensure quality ...
    Thatīs the one and only Point I like to agree, because I do have Trouble with Outsourcing in my Business too.
    Apart from that - the Quality of my Frames or Correspondence with both Banshee or Distribution have been great for Years! Banshee is by far not the only Bike-Company going through Trouble during Production. It should not happen, but unfortunately sometimes thatīs the Way Things turn ...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I would like to add that Keith was spotted wearing t-shirt and jeans in several promo videos.

Totally unprofessional!
    Yup, he missed the memo from Gary Fisher....

No Style is correct there are many bike companies who struggle with production issues and design problems (how many thousands of frames do you think Trek/Fisher has had to give away because of breakage? Me included so great for lifetime warranty but bad design/QC control) Jamis has had loads of chainstay failures and I'm sure people could add plenty more from various other companies.

I'm new to Banshee and didn't suffer through the V1 fiasco but aside from the seatpost issue (which I'm actually gonna assume is a small percentage) I've yet to read of any issues with the V2 frames of the Spitty, Rune, or Prime. Ok, the 142 dropouts were something but he's already had them redesigned so that's taken care of. It's not like they couldn't be used. Seatpost issue as well has been dealt with once he noticed the comments from users.

I think the Banshee guys are a small company which requires each person to wear multiple hats and you get tugged in many different directions all at the same time. Stuff can fall through the cracks this way as they take care of the most important fires at the time. I also get the feeling that it's some of the importers/distributors that are dropping the ball and not Banshee themselves. Especially some of the Euro and far removed distributors where I see most of the complaints coming from. Maybe I'm wrong?

It's obvious that Keith browses this forum when his time permits. How cool is it that we can actually get responses and help from the bikes designer right here on this forum? Guy's who have had serious distributor issues I've seen him send PM's to I assume to get an issue resolved. Should he have to do that? NO, but that's the multiple hat thing going on right there. I do feel bad for the guys with the issues and waiting on replacement frames and hopefully Banshee comes though for you soon.

mtbr member
    I would say this is a rather small issue, especially if using carbon paste fixes the issue (which I suspect it will). Knolly had a some issues with the first several runs of Chilcotins. As others have pointed it, it's actually more common than you might think. This is hardly the bushing debacle that so many of us dealt with on our Runes and Spitfires.

In regards to communication from Banshee and Trident, myself and everyone I know have not had any issues. They're both small companies that were completely swamped with the roll out of the v2 frames. I think they've done a pretty good job of correcting what was a shitstorm. You gotta be patient though, you're not dealing with Wally World- just don't freak out when it takes them 3, 4, 5 days to return your emails-

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I dig this new V2, I look forward to the next ride just hours after I finished the last one. I ultimately want the Cane Creek DBair on it but so far the Fox CTD works like advertised; I use all 3 settings where I can to get the most out of it and really can't fault it after adding the smallest reducer to get the sag right, get full travel without a harsh bottom-out. Just a great bike.

2013 Spitfire-8646546565_c0a7a07e60_b.jpg

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Here is mine again. Updates are CCDB-Air and 650B-Wheelset (WTB Frequency i23, Tune MK King/Kong, Sapim Race/Laser, Schwalbe HansDampf 2.25 Trailstar, AV13). Weight is now 13,8 kg because of the loss of 993 Gramms versus my solid 26er Wheelset. Dropouts are the 26 who give enough Clearance in more dry Conditions. For bigger Volume-Tires (2.35 or 2.4) - they may fit too, but would suggest the 650B-Dropouts, especially for muddy Conditions you want more Clearance.

All I can say is: Iīm impressed to the maximum!

The CCDB-Air needs some minor Tweaking from the Base-Tune. There is minimal Bob when Pedalling seated, which the Evolver didnīt have, but apart from that Banshee and CaneCreek have done a good Job with the Base-Tune. Itīs a well dialed Setup to start with and I think a few Clicks more LSC and Iīm done so far. The KS-Link with CCDB-Air and BOS Deville Fork simply is by far the best Suspension I have ever experienced - wow!

The 650B Wheel is harder to tell what makes it so cool and different - and probably "better". Almost 1 Kilo Weightsaving is massive on a Wheelset and makes it difficult to describe if itīs the slightly bigger Size or the lighter Weight. Acceleration is a lot more effortless, just a few Pedalstrokes and you are up to Speed. Yes, slightly better Small-Bump-Absorbtion, slightly better Traction when Breaking and Cornering - but the last two depend very much on Tire-Choice. Less Stiffness? No - thatīs depending on the Wheelset-Buildquality. Mine is 1711 Gramms but feel as stiff as my Hardcore-26-Wheelset. Less playfull? No, not at all. With the 26 Dropouts the Difference was hard to notice. At least it gives a bit more Comfort on a long Bike-Day. And itīs a great Combination for those who donīt need 150 or 160 mm Travel in the Back!

My Geometry-Settings werenīt touched yet. Still neutral Setting in the Back and -1 Deg Angleset = 74 Deg Seatangle and 65,5 Deg Headangle. Itīs bang on right there where others do their "650B-specific Geometry and Kinematics". But when it comes to Slackness ... well ... you know ...

Damn - I love this Bike even more!

2013 Spitfire-spitfire_650b.jpg

Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 ... LastLast