Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Spitfire

510K views 3K replies 288 participants last post by  RS VR6 
#1 ·
What do we know so far?

Does it have bearings?
Adjustable geometry? Looks like there could be adjustable geo built into the dropouts.
Geo specs?

27.5" compatible dropouts as option

"Banshee Bikes 2013" by fakawi

#904 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I originally really wanted the black frame but none were available in my size so I went with the raw. Super happy with my choice now as it does look really nice and play's well with the blue stuff. Should clean up easier also being clear coated.

No Style yeah to long for sure with this build. Kind of made an agreement with myself to sell off my Jamis and Cannondale (in order to fund this build) before completing it. That, and a dirt bike and hiking hobby (among others) kill more time and money. Only 30 miles so far but man am I impressed with the rear suspension. It's what I had hoped for after reading many reviews and e-riding suspension kinematic charts from Antonio O Suna's linkage design blog site. Now time to just ride, tweak, and enjoy.

#905 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys. I originally really wanted the black frame but none were available in my size so I went with the raw. Super happy with my choice now as it does look really nice and play's well with the blue stuff. Should clean up easier also being clear coated.

No Style yeah to long for sure with this build. Kind of made an agreement with myself to sell off my Jamis and Cannondale (in order to fund this build) before completing it. That, and a dirt bike and hiking hobby (among others) kill more time and money. Only 30 miles so far but man am I impressed with the rear suspension. It's what I had hoped for after reading many reviews and e-riding suspension kinematic charts from Antonio O Suna's linkage design blog site. Now time to just ride, tweak, and enjoy.
It`s really nice, could u please tell the final weight??
I've ordered a 2014's frame and I am worried about the final weight because it connot be more than 13.5 Kf

#909 ·
That's a beautiful build skidad.

I'm getting parts together now in preparation for the arrival of my '14 frame , just wondering what size chainstay protector you used ?

Thanks ! :)
I had it just kicking around from my Jamis Dakar B2 but it fits good and pretty much covers the entire stay. It's actually for 29'er bikes and the 650b Jamis had 17.7" stays :eekster:

Neoprene Chainstay Protector - 29er Jumbo | Lizard Skins

I see they have it in blue now :thumbsup:

#914 ·
Here is my Spitfire again, with Modifications on the Seattube, ISCG-Tabs and BB-Shell, after switching from Size M to L. Picture was taken somewhere back in May 2013 ...

Since then no changes, except going for a C-Guide-Type Rubber Tube from Gardena, just to prevent Chain from rubbing downside the lower Yoke. No other Chainguiding required, so I will leave it like this.

Maybe switching to a slightly wider (780-800 mm Bars) and shorter (35-40 mm Stem) Cockpit, 1x10 Custom-Drivetrain with 11-42 Cassette and XT-Clutch Derailleur and a Hydraulic Seatpost as upcoming Upgrades.

I often switch between the CCDB Air and my Evolver-ISX. Both awesome Shocks to compliment the KS-Link-Suspension. Tough Decision which one to keep and to sell the other.

Apart from that: Still the very best Trailbike for me. Had a great Season so far and I´m shure there will be great Seasons on my Spitfire to come in the next Years!!!

#928 ·
Since then no changes, except going for a C-Guide-Type Rubber Tube from Gardena, just to prevent Chain from rubbing downside the lower Yoke. No other Chainguiding required, so I will leave it like this.
Hi!
could you please post a picture showing how you have mounted this Gardena Rubber tube. I have just (almost) finished my build and I am also facing this problem.
After installing my new lyrik fork I will show a picture of my new bike. After some rides with fast and technical downhills I am stunned by its performance :)

Cheers,
Thomas

#916 ·
I´m 180/181 cm tall, with 83/84 cm Inseam.

I always was on Medium-Size Frames, but my Riding-Style turnes more and more towards AM/Enduro/Allday-Touring. 50% Climbing, 50% going flat or down, with lots of Pedalling. For this Medium was a really good fit, but had the Feeling that a large Frame could slightly do better on long Climbs and can give more Stability in steep technical Sections.
This is my first large Framesize ever and it turned out just like this! I have to say that the Medium Spitfire was equipped with a -1 Deg Angleset (like the Rune), the large now has -0,5 Deg, 26 Dropouts and Fork and works pretty well for me in every Aspect.

While the V2 Banshees do have a nicely dialed Forward-Style-Geometry, it´s easy to go with the next larger Framesize and reduce Stem-Length if necessary. The longer Reach and Wheelbase has one single and great Effect: Your Position and Weight over the Bike is pretty damn centered, which makes it very controllable in any Situation. So it´s not less nimble - just less nervous! Especially when the Trails gets rough, steep and fast ...

#917 ·
I´m 180/181 cm tall, with 83/84 cm Inseam.

I always was on Medium-Size Frames, but my Riding-Style turnes more and more towards AM/Enduro/Allday-Touring. 50% Climbing, 50% going flat or down, with lots of Pedalling. For this Medium was a really good fit, but had the Feeling that a large Frame could slightly do better on long Climbs and can give more Stability in steep technical Sections.
This is my first large Framesize ever and it turned out just like this! I have to say that the Medium Spitfire was equipped with a -1 Deg Angleset (like the Rune), the large now has -0,5 Deg, 26 Dropouts and Fork and works pretty well for me in every Aspect.

While the V2 Banshees do have a nicely dialed Forward-Style-Geometry, it´s easy to go with the next larger Framesize and reduce Stem-Length if necessary. The longer Reach and Wheelbase has one single and great Effect: Your Position and Weight over the Bike is pretty damn centered, which makes it very controllable in any Situation. So it´s not less nimble - just less nervous! Especially when the Trails gets rough, steep and fast ...
Thanks a lot, very helpfull for my size selection.

#923 ·
I'm trying to figure out sizing for a V2 frame. I'm in between size M and L. Pictured below is my v1, medium. Thats with the Reverb all the way up for climbing, and a 90mm stem. While I dont feel cramped with a 90mm stem, I'm wondering how the new bike would be with something a lot shorter. I'm 5'11.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#924 ·
I'm trying to figure out sizing for a V2 frame. I'm in between size M and L. Pictured below is my v1, medium. Thats with the Reverb all the way up for climbing, and a 90mm stem. While I dont feel cramped with a 90mm stem, I'm wondering how the new bike would be with something a lot shorter. I'm 5'11.

View attachment 834441
I'd recommend a Large V2 with 50mm stem for you. There are significant benefits in using a shorter stem on this bike, and the sizing should work well for you.

#926 ·
hi!

Went from a ano black V1 to a ano black V2.

I still don't like all those white accents on the frame. V1 was more blackish... :)

Any way of removing all that white? looks like paint over the ano alu...

another thing. recently my 142x12 axle keeps getting loose after a while. should I use blue loctite on it? It came clean with no glue...

thanks. I need to get a torque wrench... :)

#931 ·
NoStyle, How many miles of pedaling have you put that jerry rig through? I've been riding a clutch rear derailleur with no lower pulley/lower chain guide. I havent had any problems with my chain dropping there, but it is noisy and definitely eats away through my chain stay protection.

I think on my next rig ill go back to using the lower pulley.

#932 ·
Hmmm, I can´t quote a Number of Miles. But I have spend almost every Weekend and some Extra-Rides during Holidays with this Setup since May this Year. Let´s say 20-30 Kilometers per Ride. This Gardena Garden-Hose-Rubber shows almost no Sign of Wear! And if so, just cut the next Piece and zip-tie it to the Stays.
This is a simple way to keep the Chain in Device, if necessary, like a Bionicon C-Guide, but alot cheaper. But I haven´t experienced any Chaindrop - and I´m using a non-Clutch-Derailleur. It´s more a "Savety" for the lower Yoke than Device, but does both very well ...

#936 ·
First off, I feel I need to apologize in advance for another "What size should I get post?", but let me explain...

I am very new to mountain biking, and have started to look at buying my first bike. I have an opportunity to pick up an XL Spitfire V2, new in the box at a steep discount, from a friend who ordered one and now needs to sell it due to some recent financial troubles.

I currently am borrowing an old 2004 21" Giant Yukon from my work, and have been having a blast riding around the many trails in my neighborhood.

I am 6'2", 33.5" inseam, 26" arm length. I also tip the scales at 220lbs. My question is, is this bike going to be too big for me? I wouldn't normally have looked at a banshee, but it is like getting a BMW at a Chevy price.

Thanks in advance

tl;dr Newbie can get an XL spitfire cheap, wants to know if the bike is too big for 6'2" 33.5" inseam

#938 ·
Does anyone else get a significant amount of creaking from somehwere in the rear suspension area? I'm posting on behalf of my friend with a V2 in large, and he has a creaking that we can't seem to track down and I'm wondering if it is a consitent problem. Everything seems to be torqued properly, but I might be missing something. Or maybe it is just normal, I admit to being used to bikes with a lot less pivots.

#944 ·
ive had my spitfire with fox ctd built up for 4 months now and in that time ive had three instances of creaking that all sounded like they were coming from the bb/linkage area under heavy pedaling force. The first was cured by nipping up the hope bottom bracket. the 2nd turned out to be that the mech hanger needed nipping up and the third was the chainring bolts , so worth checking those three if you havent already.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.