Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 2488

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Hey folks! Reading all of your replies has got me excited about building up my spitfire. I'm hoping to get it down to near 28lb, but that may be more of a challenge after reading some of the recent weight postings. I'll try and get some pix up this weekend if my fork arrives from qbp this week.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Med, ano black spitfire w/ fox float CTD
    Syntace 32h w30 wheels' 27.5, 142x12
    150mm rock shox pike
    Works components -1 degree headset
    Race face turbine stem 60mm
    Race race next sl carbon bars 725mm
    Sram XO1 drivetrain grey/black, 175 mm cranks, 32t
    2.25 hans dampf, will run tubeless, opted for the 2.25s given the wide inner width of the rims
    Race face atlas pedals
    Reverb
    Wtb volt slt
    Shimano xt brakes, 180mm f/r
    2.25 Hans Dampf ? Is it not only in 2.35 available ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    2.25 Hans Dampf ? Is it not only in 2.35 available ?
    The 650B/27.5 HD is also available in 2.25, but not with the SuperGravity Compound, only PaceStar and TrailStar.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    my 2014 ano black spitfire just got shipped!

i still have my 2013 ano black spitfire...can't wait to do a weight comparison.

any guesses to what the weight difference is going to be?
    Hmmm ... no Decals and slightly less Welding ... 40-80 Gramms?!? Hahaha, anyway, it´s up to you to measure and find out ...

mtbr member
    we should start an over under.

mtbr member
    My med ano black spitfire w/ Fox float CTD, 142x12 dropouts and seatpost collar (did not include axle when weighing) weighed in at 7 lb 9oz.

mtbr member
    I could go wider, but there's a lot of trails that weave through tight corridors of brush and low hanging trees where I live.

The difference between 760 and 725 bars is only 1.37 inches, I think I'll be able to survive

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Managed to snap a quick pic of my Spitty before a fairly rapid decent off Moel Famau.

Loving this bike!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    How are the 26 wheels in the 650b pikes? Do you have 26 dropouts or the 650b ones? Hope your liking your bike I've had mine since January and its amazing will be keeping this one for a while!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm running 26 inch drops as I'm gonna be sticking with my wheels for a bit of time yet. Nice to have the option to go bigger in the future though, but for the moment it's nice to have the back end shorter

Having only ridden the bike with the 650b forks I can't make any comparison but they feel great, especially combined with the CCDB. Definitely no quirks from having slightly smaller wheels, just I nice amount of mud clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have some 09 van 36 and the DBair its an amazing combo, would have liked the DBair cs but it wasn't available at the time. I add a few clicks of compression/rebound for climbing anyway but it would have been handy just to flick a switch instead of using the tool. It is really good shock though! The grip that you get in corners is incredible your gonna love this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, I have the CS and I find I use it quite a bit. It just removes the small amount of bob you get when spinning a low gear.

The 150mm 650b pike has almost the same axle to crown length as the 160mm Fox 34's so the geometry is as intended, albeit with more options.

Great bike

krj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    The 650B/27.5 HD is also available in 2.25, but not with the SuperGravity Compound, only PaceStar and TrailStar.

To be more precise, it 'sa vai labile only in pace star compound the 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    2013 Spitfire-cam00709.jpg

Halfway through

Mr. Knowitall
    Looks like Terminator!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by krj View Post
    To be more precise, it 'sa vai labile only in pace star compound the 27.5
    Uh no sorry, seems like we were both wrong. 2.25 is Trailstar only, which is the Tires I´m running:

57-584 (27.5 x 2.25, 650B), SnakeSkin, TL-Ready, TrailStar, Black

60-584 (27.5 x 2.35, 650B), SnakeSkin, TL-Ready, PaceStar, Black
    60-584 (27.5 x 2.35, 650B), SnakeSkin, TL-Ready, TrailStar, Black
    60-584 (27.5 x 2.35, 650B), Super Gravity, TL-Ready, TrailStar, Black

Thought there were both PaceStar and Trailstar, as my local Shop was able to get the 650B 2.25 Pacestar in February, while I had to wait for the TrailStar-Compound till late April.
    Possibly PaceStar was only a small released Batch alternative to RacingRalphs or NobbyNics at the Beginning of the Year?!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

Hey guys, I need to change my complete drivetrain, after the winter. Does anybody already installed an XX1 or X01 group set on a Spitfire V2. I read somewhere that with some frames, with the chain on the 10 teeth sprocket, it come in contact with the chainstay...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey guys, I need to change my complete drivetrain, after the winter. Does anybody already installed an XX1 or X01 group set on a Spitfire V2. I read somewhere that with some frames, with the chain on the 10 teeth sprocket, it come in contact with the chainstay...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I run XX1 on my spitfire with 142x12 hub and 26" dropouts with 34 tooth chainring and have zero issues. Works well for me in all gears.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

ev.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So I finally picked up the frame and built it up.
    It's a keeper.

Spitfire3 by 85evan, on Flickr

Spitfire1 by 85evan, on Flickr

Frame - 2014 Banshee spitfire, Large, Stealth Black, 140mm
    Rear shock - 2014 Fox Float CTD, Kashima
    Front shock/fork - 2012 Rock Shox Revelation RLT, Dual Air, 150mm
    Handlebars - 2014 Race Face Sixc Carbon, 760mm
    Stem - 2014 Kore Repute, 35mm
    Headset - Banshee zero stack
    Grips - ODI Ruffian lockon
    Saddle - Specialized Phenom
    Seatpost - Thomson Elite
    Front brake - Saint
    Rear brake - Saint
    Cranks - Truvativ Descendant
    Chainguide - E13 SS+
    Chain - Sram 1091 hollowpin
    Pedals - Po1nt Racing Podium
    Front derailleur - N/A
    Rear derailleur - Sram X0 short
    Front shifter - N/A
    Rear shifter - Sram X0 10spd
    Cassette - XT 11-36
    Front hub - Shimano XT 15mm
    Rear hub - Hadley
    Front rim - Syncros DS28
    Rear rim - Syncros DS28
    Spokes - DT Swiss Competition
    Nipples - DT Swiss Prolock
    Tyres - F: Conti Trail king 2.4 R: Schwalbe Nobby Nick 2.2
    Tubes - XC
    Total weight - Currently 13.9KG

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I run XX1 on my spitfire with 142x12 hub and 26" dropouts with 34 tooth chainring and have zero issues. Works well for me in all gears.
    Thanks for your answer. Did you already tried a smaller chainring ? like a 28 teeth ? I need it because of my poor condition and the trails here in Switzerland, in the Alps, are quite steep.

What's about the chainline and the Q.Factor of the Spitfire ? I could not find any info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for your answer. Did you already tried a smaller chainring ? like a 28 teeth ? I need it because of my poor condition and the trails here in Switzerland, in the Alps, are quite steep.

What's about the chainline and the Q.Factor of the Spitfire ? I could not find any info.
    I haven't personally ever tried below 34 tooth, but I know people have run as low as 30teeth without an issue... maybe someone on here runs 28 and can help confirm it works, it should be fine.

You need the wide Q factor cranks (Narrow ones are only good for weedy XC bikes). I wouldn't worry too much about chainline, ideal chainline changes by about 4mm as soon as you change gear. aim for somewhere around 51mm and you'll be fine.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For what it's worth, my 32T is fine too.

nmb
    nuno borralho
    Jan 2008
    I'll ask again...

Is there a safe way to remove the white lettering from a 2013 V2 ano black spit?

I just love the stealth version...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here's my new frame at last! A 2014 blue XL spitfire. This is as far as I got with the build today, a fair amount of time was spent just heli taping:

Db air cs, 160 lyrik dual air, hope tech m4, DT swiss on hope pro 2, reverb 125mm, slx 33 x 11/36, hope top only chain guide, hope headset, Kore repute 50mm stem, east on haven bars (711), crap tyres, zee clutch mech

I've a quick ride down the driveway and as expected the stack height is very low so I needed to find some bodgey spacers lying round the garage. I thought my steerer was really short at about 190mm but there was loads rising out the headtube. Ill have to get some high rise bars so will prob get some Kore mega at 38mm rise or nukeproof warhead. I've also lost my hope lever clamp on the rear brake so I've had to cable tie that until I can get hold of another or just use a spare avid. Loads of my gear is lost as just moving house.

I'll get the cables and gearing sorted on Saturday morning and them get riding. Probably in a time trial body position due to the low stack!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-img_20131211_170407.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-img_20131211_170304.jpg  

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Made an update to my build the other night .I swapped the duel ring 2x10 with e13 chain device and slx shadow + long cage rear mech for a race face narrow wide front ring with zee shadow+ short cage rear mech.

Im very happy with the result , I lost 680gms in wieght!! The bike now wieghs 30.5 pounds bang on and the race face ring seems to work great and looks trick matching the rest of my race face finishing kit

Here are some pics

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theraggyone; 12-13-2013 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey builttoride or anyone else help me out. would the xo1 crank be wide enough to fit on the spitty im not sure on the qfactor, all i can find is that it is wide on the sram site? im 99.9% positive they are the same and should fit, otherwise yeah ill go xx1

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi,
    you need the one with the q-factor 168. I think the X01 is only available with the wider factor.

Ralf

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yup, X01 cranks will be fine. They only come in the wide 168mm Q factor.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    cool thanks guys. off to spend ca$h!

spinner
    Frame finally arrived and built

001 by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

Frame - Banshee Spitfire 2014. Medium. Black anodized.
    Rear shock - Fox CTD
    Fork - Fox 36 talas 160
    Bars - Spank Oozy
    Stem - Easton Haven
    Headset - Hope
    Grips - Odi Troy Lee
    Saddle - Selle SMP Avant
    Seatpost - KS Dropzone
    Brakes - Formula RX. 180mm.
    Cranks - XT M785
    Chain - SLX
    Pedals - Deity Decoy
    Front derailleur - X9
    Rear derailleur - X9 mid cage
    Shifters - XO
    Cassette - XT 11 - 36
    Wheels - Mavic Crossmax XL. 26"
    Tyres - F: Schwalbe Hans Dampf. 2.35 Trailstar.
    R: Maxxis Highroller 2.35 60a
    Nukeproof chainstay protector
    Ti and alloy fasteners from Probolt
    Jagwire Ripcord cable kit
    Total weight - 14.02 kgs

More detailed pics 2014 Spitfire built

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Ah there it is!
    Nice Picture that shows the great aggressive but playful Geometry the Spitty has.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here’s mine on its first proper ride yesterday.
    I ran it in the slackest setting and the low BB just wasn’tan issue; I could take on a steep rocky climbs and completely avoid pedalstrikes. All my concerns were quickly banished.
    its climbing ability is what blew me away; the rear endtracking was spot on with tonnes of traction and I was running a 33 t singlechain ring for the first time and very steep tech was no problem at all. Like a mountain goat.
    Downhill wise I think I was held back by a poor cockpit setup. I wasn’t running enough spacersbeneath the stem and my front end was a bit too low. I had 10 deg rise bars as well. More spacers and high rise bars are probablywhats needed. My weight felt a bit toofar forward. Ill have to tweak that butdon’t want to lose the low slung, front traction feel of the frame. I think I can get away with wide bars as thereach wasn’t as long as I thought (im 6ft 3).<o></o>[/SIZE]
    I was running the DB air at 15mm sag and 180 psi (im 14stone/89kg), which is the recommended base tune, but found that it was runningthrough its travel a bit too often to be honest. I was riding a quite flat trail centre. The low speed action was spot on but I felt Iwas bottoming out even though there were no real drop offs. I spose more tinkering with the hsc is whatsneeded.<o></o>
    So steep rocky chutes felt a bit sketchy as my weight wastoo far forward and the shock needs a tweak. Im sure it wasn’t a limitation with the 140 travel and hopefully I canget the shock to feel bottomless or at least give the feeling of more travelwhen its needed. On the other hand, thebike was easy to get airborne, and was really playful on jump sections. Being able to pump the terrain to carry speedwas what I wanted from the shorter travel and that’s I got.<o></o>
    Over the next few weeks I’ll be getting new bars, shortchainring bolts so I can ditch the bashguard and a fair amount of shocktweaking (its become like an MBUK long term review now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-img_20131215_114048.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ...excuse the text - that's what happens when you copy and paste from a word doc (im at work so can't be seen typing into websites)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like you'd benefit from adding some volume reduction spacers to the shock... it's a very easy 2 minute tooless job once the shock is off the bike and pressure released.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

MTB B'dos
    I'm seeing this more and more and just have to wonder, WHY??? If you're not fit and have lots of climbing, stick to a proper double ring setup, simple, easy, effective, but Oooops, not the latest blingy, bling bling Hadn't seen XX1 in person until Friday and all seeing it in person did was reconfirm my being unimpressed by it, it's huge price tag and fugliness, and shifting wasn't anything better than any other 9 or 10 spd setup I've experienced so far, actually was much harder as you got to that monster big cog, but I guess people have to say it shifts superbly to justify the ludicrous amount they spent on it

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Sounds like you'd benefit from adding some volume reduction spacers to the shock... it's a very easy 2 minute tooless job once the shock is off the bike and pressure released.
    thanks Keith, I didn't get any spacers with the frame, I spose they're sold separately?

Ill probably just reduce sag to 13mm (for what its worth) and increase HSC slightly and then fine tune rebound. Now that Im back trail riding hopefully im due to lose some weight anyway - just as soon as xmas is out of the way!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    ... I was running the DB air at 15mm sag and 180 psi (im 14stone/89kg), which is the recommended base tune, but found that it was running through its travel a bit too often to be honest ... The low speed action was spot on but I felt I was bottoming out even though there were no real drop offs. I supose more tinkering with the hsc is whats needed ...
    Yep, as Keith has already mentioned: More Volume Reduction Spacers should solve that Problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The shock ships with volume spacers in s amslal bag, so it's worth checking with the shop that you got the frame from, as they may have accidently forgotten to give you the bag.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm a bit confused and irritated - hopefully I'm just being dumb but does a Reverb Stealth work with the Spitfire?

The Reverb stealth has a "Connectamajig" beneath the post, which allows you to easily detach and reattach the hose. See attached image:

The silver end stays on the hose, the clever back thing in the middle between the hose attachment and post insert, joins it together. The silver end on the hose however does not fit through the stealth hole

I'm assuming that, to thread the hose through the hole, I need to cut and bleed the hose.
    The question is - which side do I cut? I assume I should cut the lever side, but how would I go about threading the hose through then, given I'll need to thread it top down?

spinner
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    ....... how would I go about threading the hose through then, given I'll need to thread it top down?
    Get a thin piece of wire (around 1mm diameter), thread it through the hole in the seat tube and out the top. Attach it to your reverb hose , (possibly poke it up the middle where the fluid runs ?) and secure with some electrical/duct tape. Pull the wire back down through the seat tube hole , bringing the hose with it. Use a small amount of tape and pull it on tight to keep the connection slim and easy to get through the hole. You may even be able to do it without the tape , just using the wire to help guide the hose through the hole.

That's how I used to feed rear der cables through the swingarm of my Orange 5.

Mr. Knowitall
    Read the previous manual! Or this thread

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Read the previous manual! Or this thread
    Thanks for your valuable input, much appreciated. 48 pages worth - yep definitely easy to find what I'm after - and what "previous" manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Get a thin piece of wire (around 1mm diameter), thread it through the hole in the seat tube and out the top. Attach it to your reverb hose , (possibly poke it up the middle where the fluid runs ?) and secure with some electrical/duct tape. Pull the wire back down through the seat tube hole , bringing the hose with it. Use a small amount of tape and pull it on tight to keep the connection slim and easy to get through the hole. You may even be able to do it without the tape , just using the wire to help guide the hose through the hole.

That's how I used to feed rear der cables through the swingarm of my Orange 5.
    Cheers dude, I ended up giving up and taking it to the LBS

Mr. Knowitall
    Thread the post as a 2013 and earlier is done. Hence previous manual. Problem solved. Think I read builtorride commented on this in this or the Rune V2 thread.

Anyway: it is supereasy and should only require minimal bleeding of the lever only. Connectamajig is for easy seat removal, not easy installation as far as I know.

spinner
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Thread the post as a 2013 and earlier is done. Hence previous manual. Problem solved.
    English is my first language but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. It doesn't make sense.

Just so you know.

Mr. Knowitall
    Thread the hose as in the manual:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/hT...rb_stealth.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Hmmm ... for 26 Wheels the Spitfire´s Chainstays vary from 427 to 431 mm - which IS short. Ok, add 10 mm for 650B may not remain really short, but is still shorter than some others. Plus 650Bs do fit in the 26 Dropouts with Tires up to 2.3 ...
    I think the chainstay length is good, but combined with slack headangle and steepish seat angle (all of which I like btw), the combo results in a longish wheelbase. Do you guys feel the Spitfire has that long, stable, freight train, plow over things feel (at the expense of nimbleness)? I experimented with a 29er trail bike with this characteristic and didn't care for it. I was actually faster on most descents, but felt like I was just along for the ride in a sense. The Spitfire looks like a really nice ride, and I see all the love for it on this forum, so I wanted to see what people here thought about this factor.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Difficult and subjective question to answer.
    The Spitty feels like a pocket rocket and has a "DH bike that can pedal uphill well" feel to it.

It's fast, stable and nice and snappy out of corners - so for me personally it feels nimble as hell without the skittishness that a lot of other bikes have.

I've not ridden it extensively just yet, but I have played with the CCDBair settings, and have made it quite lively as a result. Mine does stick to the ground, unless I'm intending for it to jump - which is does incredibly.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    I think the chainstay length is good, but combined with slack headangle and steepish seat angle (all of which I like btw), the combo results in a longish wheelbase. Do you guys feel the Spitfire has that long, stable, freight train, plow over things feel (at the expense of nimbleness)? I experimented with a 29er trail bike with this characteristic and didn't care for it. I was actually faster on most descents, but felt like I was just along for the ride in a sense. The Spitfire looks like a really nice ride, and I see all the love for it on this forum, so I wanted to see what people here thought about this factor.
    The Spitfire´s Geometry is NOT like the average Trailbike, with 68 Deg HA, shorter Wheelbase, super lightweight. Instead it offers full low and slack Enduro-Geometry combined with shorter/reduced Travel. This is what makes the Spitfire so unique.
    Yes, Reach and Wheelbase are on the long Side, but the Rest is not. The Rear-End is short, SA steep which results in a moderate Toptube-Length.
    The KS-Link feels very active, lively and poppy, but can glue to ground with bottomless Suspension at the same Time.
    There is so much personal Preference ... to me, the medium Frame I have owned first was super nimble, poppy, playfull, almost as much as my Wildcard, which is a Shorttravel-Freeridebike. The large I have now is still nimble, but more confidence-inspiring on fast or really steep technical Terrain.
    So I would like to describe it like this:
    A longer Bike is NOT less nimble, it´s simply less nervous.

mtbr member
    I would agree with NoStyle. Its still a nimble and fun loving bike. But at the same time it is stable and gives you the confidence to push your skills to the edge. I honestly feel its making me into a better rider, after 1 month I feel much more comfortable, more confident, than and willing to push myself harder and faster that before.

I am usually quite critical of my bikes. but I can't think of a single negative about the Spitfire so far. Reading through this thread you'll not find any other complaint apart from the warranted weight (this extra heft contributes to the solidity of the frame and the stability), this weight bothers some. If thats not a concern to you then you need to place an order as soon as possible, you will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'm liking the Spitfire more and more. My LBS carries them so I'll have to check one out. Wish they did demos/rentals on them, or at least had one built up.