Page 21 of 79 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Their shipment is leaving the factory tomorrow... should be through UK customs by end of the month.
    aahha this is a good news for me!!
    I had to send to Pat some stuff and now, my bike is out of order...
    hope he will have few thing to help me...
    AisaBike
    Banshee Dealer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    Put the chain on without closing it. Make sure the chain is in the largest chainring and largest cog. Pull the chain tight so that your derailleur hanger is pulled fairly far forward--because you have short cage, you probably need it on the tight side in your large gear so that it will still have enough tension when you're in the small cog. If in doubt leave it a little longer as you can always shorten it later. I usually do this so the two ends are overlapping beneath the chainstay. You should be able to see how much chain you need. Now pop out the extra links and close it with the powerlink (or pin if you're using shimano chain).
    You left out the part about checking the chain length while cycling the rear suspension. Remove the rear shock, and move the suspension to it's fully compressed position while keeping an eye on the derailleur cage tension. I negelected to do this on my V1 Spitfire and it sheared a derailleur hanger the first ride. I think the V2 has less chain growth, but it is still important to check the chain length throughout the suspension travel.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the help with the chain, I had read about checking the length with the suspension compressed last night. I just removed one link at a time till I got it right.

Finished the bike today and went for a wee spin even in the snow I can tell this is gonna be a lot of fun. The one time I don't want snow and it comes, we normally have rain in Scotland not snow!

2013 Spitfire-image.jpg

2013 Spitfire-image.jpg

2013 Spitfire-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

12x142 and brake install issue...

Is anyone using the 12x142 and had success in mounting the newer Xt brakes? I'm using a 160mm in the rear. I installed the adapter (SM-RA-R160), but when I try to mount the brake caliper, the adapter doesn't seem to be wide enough. Do I need a different adapter? This is frustrating as all get out....

Hopefully the photo will be of some use.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-camerazoom-20130205181958854.jpg  

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Some washers (or chainring spacers) between the frame and adapter should fix that..

mtbr member
    May 2005

Known issue

See this link starting at post #12 Prime/Rune Dropouts/Hangers

I would like to see a re-design of the dropouts so they have the relief built in like most other (all?) 142 drops
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just got done reading the thread above, and it's exactly what I'm going through with the 650b 12x142 drops. I should be able to install the brake caliper(with adapter) and derailleur, without having to do a lot of shimming. IS tabs too far to the left. Derailleur hanger too far to the right.

Keith, please speak to this. At this point, I'd gladly pay $50 to get drops that accommodate my components. I thought, by now, 12x142 would be a fairly mature standard.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Here is my Spitfire. Assuming being one of the first received the new V2 Frames in early December 2012 things unfortunately went the long-term-way. But finally here it is, in itīs first build-up:

2013 Spitfire-spitfire41.jpg
    2013 Spitfire-spitfire51.jpg

Went for a -1 Deg Angleset and Flip-Chips in neutral Setting for first Rides, resulting in a nicely 65,5 Deg HA and a highly demanded 74 Deg SA. Cable-Routing of the Front-Derailleur is done on the Downtube, for a slightly cleaner look. I want to concentrate on Suspension Setup first and check out all the Geometry-Settings later, where I have the possibility to slacken out to a 64,5 HA with lowest Chips and -1,5 Deg Angleset.

CCDB-Air and 650B Custom-Wheelset are already ordered and should arrive next very few weeks.

First Riding-Impression is:
    Weight of 14,8 kg is:
    Honestly: This Weight is contributed to the heavy Wheelset (about 2200 Gramms) and 2.4 Highroller II Tires. Works pretty well for gnarly Park Riding Days. The upcoming 650B Wheelset is around 1700 Gramms with Hans Dampf 2.25 for Allday-Trailriding and should bring the Weight down to closely 14 kg, maybe below with some Luck.
    But: Weight is not that important to me, plus I weight 90,x kg full geared. So the Bike has to be durable and long-lasting as the main Priority.

Quote Originally Posted by RialbSelur View Post
    Is anyone using the 12x142 and had success in mounting the newer Xt brakes? I'm using a 160mm in the rear. I installed the adapter (SM-RA-R160), but when I try to mount the brake caliper, the adapter doesn't seem to be wide enough. Do I need a different adapter? This is frustrating as all get out....
    Hopefully the photo will be of some use ...
    I have had the same Issue with both 26 and 650B 142x12 Dropouts. A roughly 1 mm Spacer between IS-2000 and PM-Adapter solved the Problem.
    But: Maybe Banshee should check back if there might be some Tolerance-Issue due to the IS-Standard-Mount. I have heard from a german Prime-Rider that he has had to space-out 3 mm to get the rear Brake installed properly. Iīm not sure if this is how Banshee likes it to have, because apart from that my Frame is in superb manufacturing Quality.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No Style bike is looking good but dam, you like a slack bike. Our riding must be polar opposites as I'd build the Spitty high and steep with a HA approaching 67.5-68 degrees. Here it's all about climbing up and over gnarly little technical climbs littered with rocks and roots. What fork you got there? Magura? How's that back clearance looking with the 26" drops for 650 tires? Thinking I might not even order the 650 dropouts. 32.6lbs is, um, a little portly. Amazing the distributors bike was 27.1lbs and how easily it can go to 32+

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just wanted to also add that I added a 1mm spacer as well for my 26 in brake mounts. I wasn't aware there was a derailluer mounting issue as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    No Style bike is looking good but dam, you like a slack bike. Our riding must be polar opposites as I'd build the Spitty high and steep with a HA approaching 67.5-68 degrees. Here it's all about climbing up and over gnarly little technical climbs littered with rocks and roots. What fork you got there? Magura? How's that back clearance looking with the 26" drops for 650 tires? Thinking I might not even order the 650 dropouts. 32.6lbs is, um, a little portly. Amazing the distributors bike was 27.1lbs and how easily it can go to 32+
    I really wanna see the scale shot from that 27 pounder. With full xtr/carbon everything build mine was 29. And unless you really care about the slightly higher BB, or running 2.4 or larger tires in the back, then 650s on the 26 inch dropouts is perfectly fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlongb13 View Post
    I really wanna see the scale shot from that 27 pounder. With full xtr/carbon everything build mine was 29. And unless you really care about the slightly higher BB, or running 2.4 or larger tires in the back, then 650s on the 26 inch dropouts is perfectly fine.
    Nice bikes guys. I've been watching this thread closely, and am 95% set on getting a new XL spitty. I'll definitely post it here if I do!

To your point above Dlong, The difference to the 27 pounder is likely made up largely because he has a Fox 32 (to your 34), he has a carbon seatpost (to your dropper), he has a Fox rear shock (to your CCDBair), and that his wheels and tires are lighter. My guess, however, is that yours is way funner to ride ;o)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah my 29 was with a fox ctd. Its the dropper that really hurts but man I can't ride without one anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's the build list for that 27 pounder. Light wheels for sure with 28 spoke hubs/rims (yeah, I counted). Guess it's possible but I would also want a dropper post and my custom built 650B wheels will be heavier. I also plan on a 32 stanchion fork, std. CTD shock, XX1 and carbon bars.

Rear Derailleur, Triggers, Brakes, Chain and Cassette: Shimano XTR
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Fork Fox 32 Float RLC
    Wheelset: DT 240 mit XM450TL Felgen und Messerspeichen
    Handlebars: Syntace Vector Carbon 740mm
    Stem: Syntace F109 60mm
    Headset: Pivot
    Handles: Pivot
    Seatpost: P6 carbon hiflex
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal
    Tubes: Kenda

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I only weigh 170lb and I ride light and I wouldn't even think of running a 32 on this bike. So flexy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi guys, long time dweller, first time poster!

I've been searching for quite some time for a bike that ticks all the boxes and i think the Rune or Spitfire V2 may be it. To give you a bit of an idea of what kind of rider i am, i'm primarily a downhill racer (rode expert in 2009) and my style of riding is smooth - i like to hop obstacles and rather enjoy hitting jumps. My question is, if i was going to have one bike and one bike only, should it be the Spitfire or the Rune? I ride a lot of trail centers but also a fair amount of DH - usually hit the alps once a year. Could the Spitfire handle it or would the Rune be better? There certainly doesn't seem to be much difference in terms of weight between the two.... I currently ride a Trek EX8 with 36's, its ok for most stuff but i'd be afraid to smash out any DH's on it!

Any help would be much appreciated

mtbr member
    If it's a one bike only situation and you are going to be doing DH, I'd get the rune. I think of the spitfire as a DHer's trailbike, and while I've done a lot of aggressive, fast, rough riding on mine, I do have a DH bike for real DH. If I were in your shoes trying to do it all with one bike, I'd go rune and maybe have 2 wheelsets or at least 2 sets of tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cheers NC, the spare wheelset thing is exactly what i was planning to do...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Thank you!
    My Background is more Downhill/Freeride in my earlier Days, so Iīm used to the slack HAs for quite some time now. My Wildcard had an HA of somewhere between 65 and 66 Degrees via -1,5 Deg Angleset, which I really like and steepened the SA, too. Of course this is personal Preference, but with the 5- Year Wildcard-Experience (it had very similiar Angles) I know relatively clear what I want. Seeing the Bike as a whole itīs not only about slackness. Geometries like the V2-Banshees only work together with the low BBs, longer Reach-Numbers and steep Seatangles. More Non-Aggressive-Geometries like Nomads or Coverts would ride very different if they got slacken out to 65 Deg HAs alone. I havenīt try it yet, but going steeper or technical Uphills shouldnīt be a big Problem - they were not with the Wildcard, except my Fitness-Level .

But: All has to be proven on the Trails!!! My given Geometry is my Dream-Geo, like a lightish travel-reduced Rune, at least theoretical on Paper. Reality should give me the answers if my Root does work in all Conditions, or not. If not I will install the -0,5 Deg and be happy. The possible superslack Setting is simply the very radical end, but by far not for every Purpose!

The Fork is a BOS Deville (without TRC), Air, 160 mm Travel, 34er Stanchions and 20 mm Axle, weight around 2000 Gramms. The Deville is not 650B-specific, but offers plenty of Clearance and enough for Hans Dampf 2.35, which is a big Volume Tire - as close as the Highroller II 2.4!

With the 26-Dropouts there is so much Clearance everywhere. User "ptd" runs 2.35er Hans Dampf with the 650B Dropouts in his Black-Ano-Rune. Please check the Rune-Built-Thread - he took some concrete measurements 1 or 2 Weeks ago. These Numbers maybe could help with your Decision buying or not buying the Dropouts!

mtbr member
    I would like to see a re-design of the dropouts so they have the relief built in like most other (all?) 142 drops
    Same here. The relief is part of the Syntace X-12 design and is necessary for proper brake caliper/derailleur spacing.

mtbr member
    Very nice NS with pretty much same geo as I am running with my Rune with 160 fork and neutral chips for 65.5 deg front, 74 deg rear and 13.45" BB with low rims (Stans Flow EX on 2.3 tires). I very much like this geo and set-up for aggro trail/hardy AM riding. Felt much better to me than in the slacker setting, which resulted in too much of a rear wheel bias when climbing and even felt slower on the pedally descents. For some reason the bike feels faster and more lively and responsive in the neutral setting for me as well (better jumper and cornering). For bike park or shuttling with no/minimal pedalling, imagine the slacker setting to be pretty good though.

Cheers on the new bike, it's a treat!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got done reading the thread above, and it's exactly what I'm going through with the 650b 12x142 drops. I should be able to install the brake caliper(with adapter) and derailleur, without having to do a lot of shimming. IS tabs too far to the left. Derailleur hanger too far to the right.

Keith, please speak to this. At this point, I'd gladly pay $50 to get drops that accommodate my components. I thought, by now, 12x142 would be a fairly mature standard.
    How off is the Derailleur mount? I am wondering if this is going to put too much stress on an XX1 RD when its in the 42 T, also, wondering about throwing off the chain line when using a chain guide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm going to hold off in commenting about the derailleur, and it's spacing. I'm not wonderfully proficient, when it comes to derailleur adjustment. So, I'll get somebody who knows what their talking about to make a proper assessment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I thought, by now, 12x142 would be a fairly mature standard.
    obviously not as mature as 135, to which my brakes and drl mounted just fine :P

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    obviously not as mature as 135, to which my brakes and drl mounted just fine :P
    Same here no problems with 135 dropouts

Page 21 of 79 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 71 ... LastLast