2013 Spitfire

Printable View

• 10-01-2013
    steeeze
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    You can still run 1x10 or 2x10 with the CK hubs. But it doesn't look like CK will offer xx1 hubs anytime soon.
    If you want to run 1x11 (which would be my choice as well) you will need to look elsewhere. Most of the hub manufacturers have an option for xx1.

Yea hopefully my LBS will swap the CK hubs for an alternative.
  • 10-01-2013
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    Thank you for that handy nugget of information! Any suggestions with groupset?

Maybe the beautiful Chris King hubs need to be sent back.

Sounds like you have a sweet build planned for the Spitty :thumbsup:

If you're looking for a high engagement hub I would suggest a Hadley (which come in many pretty colors and have the XX1 driver body available and I'm currently using ;)) laced to some new Derby 40mm carbon rims. These come in at less than 450 grams (less than the original Stans Flow 650b rim), and the price is right not to mention what it can do to a tire footprint.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...ng-871009.html

Home, wide rims, carbon fiber rims, mountain bike rims
  • 10-01-2013
    Pinky
    Here's some of the collection of new/used parts awaiting the arrival of my 2014 frame. (just read on FB they have started to leave the factory !) :D
    2014 Banshee Spitfire build - a set on Flickr
  • 10-02-2013
    RollingRevolution
  • 10-02-2013
    steeeze
    Thanks again for the heads up as I am notorious for ordering parts that are mismatched or completely wrong and it ends up costing me a packet!

I swapped the Chris King hubs for some cheap black Hope hubs that I will swap out once Chris King pull their finger out and realize that XX1 is the future.
  • 10-02-2013
    fingerbanger
    Quote:

Just subscribing to this thread. I ordered a stealth black 2014 Spitfire that is due to arrive in November. I had originally ordered a Rune but changed my order to a more versatile spitfire.

Parts list that I've ordered thus far:
    Rockshox Pike 150mm
    Rockshox Reverb Dropper stealth
    XX1 Groupset
    Chris King Hubs
    Chris King Headset
    Thomson Carbon Bars

I'm still trying to decide on which 650b carbon rims I'll be going with.

Hi can I just ask if you're expecting your frame in November - are you in UK? I've ordered a rune and have been told from the distributors mouth that the frame is due to be available mid-October. I could really do with knowing exactly when as I not getting any riding done at the moment! If the frames are going to be behind schedule then we need to know. I could do with an exact date so I can make plans.
  • 10-02-2013
    steeeze
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Hi can I just ask if you're expecting your frame in November - are you in UK? I've ordered a rune and have been told from the distributors mouth that the frame is due to be available mid-October. I could really do with knowing exactly when as I not getting any riding done at the moment! If the frames are going to be behind schedule then we need to know. I could do with an exact date so I can make plans.

I am from Australia and our Banshee distributor told me mid November. There was something on facebook about them leaving the factory this week so I doubt they would clear customs this month.
  • 10-02-2013
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by inkisink View Post

Thanks for that link. Nice review and I think he pretty much nailed it

My Spitty is set up 650b and more trail oriented than for the downs (high/steep settings) and the thing is really wonderful.

This quote from the review is so true and exactly what I was hoping for from the KS Link.....and my tires aren't even setup tubless yet.

Quote:

When pedalling uphill on single track, flow-killing rocks cowered before me and roots shuddered in my presence. The traction was superb – I found myself simply low gear crawling over things I had no right to be getting over at the speed I was going.
  • 10-03-2013
    NoStyle
    Mine again, with a slightly wider, shorter, lower and lighter Cockpit (new Bar/Stem).

My Setup seems to be more AM-orientated compared to Skidadīs Spitty, but thatīs the good Thing about it: Set up as you like it! :thumbsup:
  • 10-03-2013
    skidad
    Yup, between flip chip settings, fork choice, wheel and tire size you can go from a 13-14" BB height and 66-68 degree HA and about anywhere in between. Very versatile bike that should suit many riders and terrain types. I'm sure there will be those that complain it's a little heavy for a 140mm bike (in reality it's really not when I see some of the weights of other similar bikes) but it certainly doesn't feel that way to me and pedals great.
  • 10-06-2013
    tailung
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Here is my Spitfire again, with Modifications on the Seattube, ISCG-Tabs and BB-Shell, after switching from Size M to L. Picture was taken somewhere back in May 2013 ...

Hi! What kind of modification, of which you speak? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Nice bike setup :thumbsup:
  • 10-06-2013
    NoStyle
    Thank you!

Modifications:
    - Honed down ISCG-Tabs about 2-3 mm, for Clearance between Dual-Chainring-Crank and Chain-Device.
    - 2 mm Hole downside the BB-Shell, to get Water out of the Frame.
    - Seattube cut down from 47 to 45 cm Length and a new Clamping Slot.

Please Note: Some of this will void Warranty! I donīt care because the Frame is durable and will be kept for many upcoming Years.
  • 10-09-2013
    cooldaddy
    1 Attachment(s)
    love this bike!

Attachment 837868
  • 10-13-2013
    dclxvi
    Just curious: anyone made the switch from a large dw 5-spot to the spitfire v2? If so, which size did you choose? I'm leaning toward medium...
  • 10-13-2013
    Drewm26
    Just ordered a large raw Spitfire, it will be here on Thursday. Should have it built for a weekend test ride and photo session.

Q: I need to order a new headset and need some recommendations. I was thinking about a Cane Creek but not sure what to get.

Found a tool on the Cane Creek site that helped me find the correct HS. :thumbsup:

Thanks
  • 10-16-2013
    eightyfive
    Hi, Finally received my S size Spitty. Super sweat bike.

Anyone try running a 650b fork on 26" wheelset? Any major impact on handling or geo? As i plan to upgrade my aging '08 Talas 36 fork but my Mavic 721 still going strong.

Looking at Pike and Sweep. Both 650b version

Thanks
  • 10-16-2013
    RollingRevolution
    No problem to run 26" wheels in a 650b fork as long as you watch the a-c measurement around 545mm should be fine. Keith's preference is 26" @ 160mm or 27.5" @ 150mm. If you ran 26" in a 150mm 650b fork for a while its not going ruin the geometry.

Oh and please post pics when you get a chance.
  • 10-16-2013
    eightyfive
    1 Attachment(s)
    inkisink, Thanks for the advise. This is my 3 rides old Spitfire:thumbsup:

Attachment 839418
  • 10-16-2013
    jon123
    Hey eightyfive,

If you go this route (650b fork/26 wheels) can you keep us posted. I'm really interested.
    I'm thinking of getting a Spitfire or Rune frame and Pike 150mm 650b fork, but continuing to run my 26 wheels until I get a new 650b wheelset.

Jon
  • 10-16-2013
    NoStyle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Just curious: anyone made the switch from a large dw 5-spot to the spitfire v2? If so, which size did you choose? I'm leaning toward medium...

I have never ridden a DW 5.Spot, but comparing Geometries between a large Spot and medium Spitfire this Size could be a good fit.
    ETT is 599 mm vs 590 mm (Spitfire), so not much Difference. The Reach of the Spitty is 427 mm vs 406 mm of the Spot, which makes a bigger Difference and leads to the Feeling the Spitfire is longer when Standing. But it has the great Benefit of being more centered in the Bike.

What are your Body-Measurements? Prefered Stem-Length? Best Thing to do is demoride a medium Spitfire to be sure!
  • 10-20-2013
    dclxvi
    Quote:

I have never ridden a DW 5.Spot, but comparing Geometries between a large Spot and medium Spitfire this Size could be a good fit.
    ETT is 599 mm vs 590 mm (Spitfire), so not much Difference. The Reach of the Spitty is 427 mm vs 406 mm of the Spot, which makes a bigger Difference and leads to the Feeling the Spitfire is longer when Standing. But it has the great Benefit of being more centered in the Bike.

What are your Body-Measurements? Prefered Stem-Length? Best Thing to do is demoride a medium Spitfire to be sure!

I did the same comparison but i have a hard time figuring out how it will feel. I'd like to keep my current 50mm stem. I'm ~5'10" and 33" inseam ... Always between M and L frames and I've never really settled on either. I'd love to try a medium, but here in East coast Canada, Banshee dealers are non-existent!
  • 10-20-2013
    Drewm26
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 840609

Finished building my large raw spitfire.

XO 2X10 drive train/brakes
    Flow rims w/ Hope Pro II Hubs
    RF Sixc Carbon bar w/ Atlas 50mm stem
    WB Loop fork
    KS Lev post
  • 10-20-2013
    RollingRevolution
    Quote:

I did the same comparison but i have a hard time figuring out how it will feel. I'd like to keep my current 50mm stem. I'm ~5'10" and 33" inseam ... Always between M and L frames and I've never really settled on either. I'd love to try a medium, but here in East coast Canada, Banshee dealers are non-existent!

If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks I can give you my hands on opinion. I'm the same height and inseam as you, ordered a large which should arrive early next week. I will be running a 60mm stem from the start. I also feel to be in between M and L sizes, and never quite at home on either, after comparing the Spitfire to my old Tracer I am confident it's going to be comfortable, but only time will tell. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • 10-20-2013
    NAYR751
    I just picked up a Spitfire and had a few questions. One, is there a dedicated 650B dropout for the frame? My frame came with one 142x12 dropout (which was a nice surprise as I was expecting a 135 rear end) and the 2.3 WTB Vigilante I have barely clears the frame.

Also, what settings are most people running? I threw the flip chip in the center setting for now, but am curious as to what most people prefer. Really excited to get this thing on the trail.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • 10-21-2013
    NoStyle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    I just picked up a Spitfire and had a few questions. One, is there a dedicated 650B dropout for the frame? My frame came with one 142x12 dropout (which was a nice surprise as I was expecting a 135 rear end) and the 2.3 WTB Vigilante I have barely clears the frame.

Also, what settings are most people running? I threw the flip chip in the center setting for now, but am curious as to what most people prefer. Really excited to get this thing on the trail.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Hi Ryan,

yes, there is a dedicated 142x12 650B Dropout for both Rune and Spitfire. You can choose between a 135x10 (26"), 142x12 (26"), 150x12 (26") and a 142x12 (650B) Dropout. It depends on which one you have ordered with the Frame!

I personally am running the neutral Flip-Chip-Setting with a -0,5 Deg Angleset, because I prefer a steeper 74 Deg Seatangle, a 66 Deg Headangle and a bit more BB-Clearance.
    But this is personal Preference. Try for yourself what will suit you, because the Difference is noticable! :)
  • 10-21-2013
    NoStyle
    Quote:

5'10" is 177,8 cm and 33" is 83,8 cm, right?
    Iīm not really sure if your Measurments keep you inbetween two Sizes and I tend to say a medium should fit fine with a 50 mm Stem. Iīm 180/181 cm tall with a 84/85 cm Inseam and switched from a medium with 50 mm Stem to a large with a 35 mm Stem, as I like the longer Wheelbase and more roomy Cockpit for long Climbs.

The Difference versus the 5.Spot should be a more forward Position when seated, due to the longer Reach and steeper Seatangle, while the overall Saddle/Cockpit/effective Toptube-Length remains closely the same. The same should be experienced when out of the Saddle, due to the longer Reach, that puts you centered between the longer Wheelbase.

Get in Touch with the Banshee-Guys, as they are building up a Demo-Fleet for Distributors/Dealers. Maybe there is a Possibility to Demoride round your Area now?!? :thumbsup:
  • 10-21-2013
    dclxvi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks I can give you my hands on opinion. I'm the same height and inseam as you, ordered a large which should arrive early next week. I will be running a 60mm stem from the start. I also feel to be in between M and L sizes, and never quite at home on either, after comparing the Spitfire to my old Tracer I am confident it's going to be comfortable, but only time will tell. I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm in no rush, so yeah, please let me know!
  • 10-21-2013
    dclxvi
    Quote:

The Difference versus the 5.Spot should be a more forward Position when seated, due to the longer Reach and steeper Seatangle, while the overall Saddle/Cockpit/effective Toptube-Length remains closely the same. The same should be experienced when out of the Saddle, due to the longer Reach, that puts you centered between the longer Wheelbase.

Get in Touch with the Banshee-Guys, as they are building up a Demo-Fleet for Distributors/Dealers. Maybe there is a Possibility to Demoride round your Area now?!? :thumbsup:

Will ask! And that's pretty much exactly how I picture it. Thanks!
  • 10-21-2013
    steeeze
    Can people please post more photos! I'm like a kid before Christmas eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Spitfire and I think I have gone over this thread at least 20 times looking at all the beautiful builds!

My parts are slowly arriving at the moment but the excitement in waiting for the frame to arrive is ridiculous!

Do you blokes have any Rim suggestions? I'm not keen on the derby rims being 40mm wide so I have crossed those off my list. What other carbon rim options are there? I don't want to buy a complete wheel so Enve is off my list as well.
  • 10-21-2013
    hssp
    Re: 2013 Spitfire
    Quote:

Do you blokes have any Rim suggestions? I'm not keen on the derby rims being 40mm wide so I have crossed those off my list. What other carbon rim options are there? I don't want to buy a complete wheel so Enve is off my list as well.

Light Bicycle Wide or DH
  • 10-21-2013
    RollingRevolution
    Quote:

Can people please post more photos!

Should receive my 2014 frame this weekend, or Monday latest. There will be photos.
  • 10-22-2013
    Cranks&Coasters
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is my spitty, it is a small and I love it! Been riding it for 6 months and cannot fault it. I have owned 4 banshee's and they just keep getting better.

I came off a medium v1, and decided on a small v2 as I have long legs and a short torso (i'm 176cm).. much easier to throw around.

Currently running in the high bb position with the 36 set to 150, sharpens things up a bit and makes it easier to manual and pop. It has taken a while to get the shock where I want it, initially found it a bit linear so added 5 or so cc's of float fluid and that helped. I have the air spacer kit on the way so I will be experimenting with it soon.

Pretty solid build,
    - xt cranks, shifter, brakes
    - zee rear mech
    - half an lg1 guide
    - king hubs, bb, headset
    - thomson stem
    - chromag bar
    - LB rims

and some other good bits that go from bike to bike.

This bike is killer. I have owned a lot of nice mountain bikes dedicated to certain styles of riding, but this thing really blurs the lines. One of my favourite bikes I have owned was a rocky mountain slayer ss. The thing was an absolute weapon, but a bit too much of a tank to enjoy anything other than lift or shuttles. I always dreamed of that bike with similar geo but in a package that was more efficient and lighter. This is it!
  • 10-22-2013
    steeeze
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Light Bicycle Wide or DH

I'm not hearing amazing things about LB rims. I might just get some Flows and wait for better rim only options for carbon rims.

I'm glad not too many 2014 photos are popping up because the anticipation for mine is reaching boiling point!

I'm loving everyone's stoked reviews.
  • 10-22-2013
    Pinky
    Quote:

I'm not hearing amazing things about LB rims. I might just get some Flows and wait for better rim only options for carbon rims.

I'm glad not too many 2014 photos are popping up because the anticipation for mine is reaching boiling point!

I'm loving everyone's stoked reviews.

How long until your frame arrives ? Mines still weeks away :( Anticipation reached boiling point a week ago , now reduced to a disappointing simmer. I have all the parts for the build ready to go , nothing to do now but wait.
    Edit : I look like my avatar haha , sad panda.
  • 10-22-2013
    hssp
    Quote:

With the correct tire and pressure? You Are good to go. Smashed one rear rim with a 2.25" Nobby Nic with pressure based on my fatbike calibrated gauge thumb... Still held up until I switched to other wheels. I rebuilt the rear wheel and will run these on my Spitfire (will it just arrive alrrady?)
  • 10-23-2013
    Cranks&Coasters
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss LB rims when compared to flows or other possible carbon rims. If you want to talk hoops PM me, have built a lot on said rims. Don't want to go on a wheel tangent on a frame forum!
  • 10-23-2013
    Drewm26
    I'm 5'10 and riding a large V2 with 50mm stem and the fit feels great. I may eventually go shorter on the stem, but so far the 50mm fit right.
  • 10-27-2013
    fingerbanger
    Hi I've ordered a 2014 spitfire but I'm still concerned about the bb height. I appreciate that Keith has answered this earlier on in their thread.

So the geometry chart is definitely for a 545 axle to crown fork? If so then I'm concerned about a 13 inch bb height in the low setting, particularly with the dropped chainstays.

How are people finding this? Please bear in mind that I doing want to buy an Angleset or switch to 650b anytime soon.

I do a lot of tech climbing over rocks and im worried about rock strikes. I've only demoed a rune and didn't have a problem but that's got different bb height and didn't involve any climbing

I'd be grateful for some reassuring words so I can just look forward to riding the spotty!
  • 10-27-2013
    Samos
    2013 Spitfire
    Here a pic of mine

Just need to shorten the brakes hoses, find a gear cable set and go ride a bit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
  • 10-27-2013
    cooldaddy
    according to the specs the Rune has a lower BB so you should be fine. In general both bikes are pretty low, it's not for everyone...

Quote:

Hi I've ordered a 2014 spitfire but I'm still concerned about the bb height. I appreciate that Keith has answered this earlier on in their thread.

So the geometry chart is definitely for a 545 axle to crown fork? If so then I'm concerned about a 13 inch bb height in the low setting, particularly with the dropped chainstays.

How are people finding this? Please bear in mind that I doing want to buy an Angleset or switch to 650b anytime soon.

I do a lot of tech climbing over rocks and im worried about rock strikes. I've only demoed a rune and didn't have a problem but that's got different bb height and didn't involve any climbing

I'd be grateful for some reassuring words so I can just look forward to riding the spotty!

• 10-28-2013
    NoStyle
    Spitfire, during a nice Autumn-Day yesterday. Very mixed Conditions in Weather and Trails, but most sticky, muddy and wet. Unfortunately no Action-Pics, as I mostly ride alone ...

Time to get some more grippy Tires, but the Bikeīs running great and reliable as usual.

• 10-28-2013
    hssp
    Quote:

I am going for a Works angleset on mine to slacken it and run the bike in the high setting for normal use and smack it low for the downpointythingydays
  • 10-28-2013
    NoStyle
    Quote:

First: There is no Reason not to look forward riding the Spitty! :thumbsup:

The Geo-Charts of Rune and Spitfire were done with a 545 A-to-C Fork and ZS Headset, for both Wheelsizes.

So the Rune has a BB Height of 340/347/353 mm with 26", and 350/357/363 mm with 650B.
    The Spitfire has a BB Height of 330/336/342 mm with 26", and 340/346/352 mm with 650B. The Spitfire has a lower BB of 10 mm overall over the Rune, due to the different Front-Triangle and slightly shorter KS-Links. Mine, with neutral Flip-Chips, -0,5 Deg Angleset and 2.25 HansDampf 650B, has a BB of 345 mm, so the Charts are very accurate!

I like low BB-Heights, as long as they are not overly low. Setup as now Iīm pretty pleased, with the Option of having it both higher and lower when wanted. So if you plan on running Angleset and 650Bs in the Future thereīs no Reason to be concerned about it! Plus the even more steeper Seatangle is a damn nice Feature for the Climbs.

In my personal Opinion the Geometry of the Spitfire is so much Spot-on! Look at the Competitors - the Spitty is a Trailbike with full AM-Geometry. And yes, I like it and is the Reason for the Spitty being so much unique! :thumbsup:
  • 10-28-2013
    fingerbanger
    thanks for your replies re BB height. Sorry to bang on about this. If I get a works component headset and reduce HA by 1 degree then can you tell me what that'd do to the BB height. Also (I know this isn't a banshee related question so please bear with me) do works components anglesets allow the option of running 0 degree if you put in different bearings?

I would think that 66 deg HA and 13.5 BB would suit me and where I ride
  • 10-28-2013
    NoStyle
    Sorry no, I havenīt measured accurately how much an Angelset affects the BB-Height, must be between 1 and max. 3 mm lower per full Angle ... ? But this generally depends on EC or ZS lower Cups.
    As far as I know Works-Components Anglesets do only have still one fixed Angle. You can choose from -/+ 1, 1.5 or 2 Deg. If you want to stay flexible you have to go with a complete CaneCreek Angleset, which has 0 Deg, -/+ 0.5, 1 to 1.5 Deg Cups.
  • 10-31-2013
    RollingRevolution
    2014 Spitfire
    Teaser
  • 11-01-2013
    Samos
    2013 Spitfire
    Some pics of mine during the mounting....

DSC03168 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

DSC03169 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

95% of the components coming from my previous bike.

DSC03165 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

DSC03167 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

Frame kit version.

DSC03172 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

Wheels came in. Need to adapt myself to the 12mm axle.

DSC03173 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

And how it was looking until yesterday evening.

DSC03174 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 11-01-2013
    Aweather
    2 Attachment(s)
    A few updates to my spitty: made the mistake of attending a sram demo and Really liked the pike over the fox 34... Also I was pretty impressed with the chain retention with the xx1, I was trying my best to drop the chain going over the roughest stuff I could find to the point of flatting :). XX1 is a little on the spendy side for me so I did the poor man's version: wolf tooth chainring. I ditched the chain guide and have yet to drop a chain. Also added a thomson dropper. It's quite a bike, exceeds my expectations. Another byproduct of the sram demo was my wife got on a norco sight killer B and fell in love. Norco was out of stock until 2014 and since I rode the norco sight killer b as well I had a fairly back to back comparison and I passed along that I prefer the feel of the spitfire. Next thing I know our local Norco shop has her sold on the spitfire, haha. She's super happy with it, picture from the top of heartbreak ridge.
  • 11-01-2013
    hssp
    Just picked up my Blue '14 Spitty! Oh boy! It looks really good, and I can't wait to start building next week.
  • 11-01-2013
    jlf.ski.bike.sail
    lets see a nice pic of the blue spitty!