Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,800 of 2489

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

Mr. Knowitall

Sv: 2013 Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by Dingleberry88 View Post
    What length stealth reverbs is everyone running? Heard there might be clearance issues with the 420mm...
    It depends on your post insert and frame size

mtbr member
    Here is mine. There is no build list because it is built with my 26" parts.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000536115265
    Last edited by guswalls; 06-19-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Failed link
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Link fail

mtbr member
    Try it now. I am at a tech conference and am figuring out how to learn things.
    Thanx supercow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't think that FB links been set to public bud.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Try this one please.
    https://www.facebook.com/n/?video%2F...ls%40yahoo.com

Hopefully soon, I will be able to post and you can just push the button to watch the movie

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Perhaps technology is not the direction in which you want to take your career. :-)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Help

supercow
    Perhaps technology is not the direction in which you want to take your career. :-)

@supercow and others: How do I post this video? I did repost it on another Facebook page as public, but how do people insert the videos in where you can just click the button and go. I was working on an iPad so maybe that has something to do with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi All,

Just a quick question about the shock. Really - HELP NEEDED!!

I ride a Large Spitfire V2. Great bike. The current shock is Fox DHX Air 4.0 that was originally bought as a temp solution (the frame was bought w/o a shock).

The current choice and question I face is:

Monarch Plus DebonAir in M/M tune OR X-Fusion Vector HLR Air?

Vector will probably come used and a bit cheaper than Monarch, but after a while may require a service equalling the cost.

Monarch is coming in new but I'm worried about these things:

- M/M tune. My understanding is that Spitfire really benefits from a Light tune.
    - DebonAir spring - how will it hold on the frame with my weight (around 220 lbs geared)? Or will the M/M tune help here?
    - Higher air pressure. From what I understand, DeonbAir uses higher pressures compared to standard air cans to achieve the same sag.

I briefly used an older (2011) Monarch Plus in L/L and a 2013 MOnarch RT3, in L/L tune as well. Both had to be pressurized to about 220 psi to achieve recommended sag. BTW, I would not want any of these 2 monarchs to have a firmer tune, so again another reason to worry about M/M.

I'm looking to get a 'holy grail os suspension', as always It must be very sensitive to small bumps but not bottom out easily. Mid-stroke support is desireable as well but my undestanding is that both these shocks are good in this regard.

Any thoughts and advice would be highly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Any particular reason for not getting a CCDBair?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Any particular reason for not getting a CCDBair?
    Mainly financial Well, a bit of a weight saving but that's just an excuse to be honest

mtbr member
    I'd go xfusion myself. Ccdb are wayyyyyyy over rated IMHO. Xfusion are easy to set up and their performance is easily on par with the ccdb if not better. Plus if you do send it in for service xfusion can tune it for the spitfire

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    In what sense do you see the CCDB as overrated? The one on my Spitfire has been incredibly good, definitively the best shock I have ridden. I suppose you could argue that the setup is irritating, but the flexibility of tuning is pretty sweet.

I am not familiar with the XFusion, but if you're a big guy, the added volume on the XFusion could mean less wear on the shock. Have you reached out to the Banshee guys directly?
    2014 Banshee Spitfire 650b
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babyz View Post
    In what sense do you see the CCDB as overrated? The one on my Spitfire has been incredibly good, definitively the best shock I have ridden. I suppose you could argue that the setup is irritating, but the flexibility of tuning is pretty sweet.

I am not familiar with the XFusion, but if you're a big guy, the added volume on the XFusion could mean less wear on the shock. Have you reached out to the Banshee guys directly?
    It is my personal opinion. I've had the coil version and the air. It is a one shock do every frame design shock. Not the best in every situation. If you talk to a suspension tuner or one who builds their own shock like Craig from avalanche he will confirm. The ccdb has always suffered from a lack of oil flow which can cause the shock to be overwhelmed by successive big hits and cause it to spike. It's a decent shock but by no means the holy grail it gets made out to be. There are people who have ridden the fox float with the $179 avalanche upgrade who have ridden the ccdb as well and feel the float works better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    It is my personal opinion. I've had the coil version and the air. It is a one shock do every frame design shock. Not the best in every situation. If you talk to a suspension tuner or one who builds their own shock like Craig from avalanche he will confirm. The ccdb has always suffered from a lack of oil flow which can cause the shock to be overwhelmed by successive big hits and cause it to spike. It's a decent shock but by no means the holy grail it gets made out to be. There are people who have ridden the fox float with the $179 avalanche upgrade who have ridden the ccdb as well and feel the float works better.
    Funny you mention this about the CCDB, when i test rode the spitfire i spoke to the shop about shock options, the mechanic there is very well known for knowing his onions about suspension. He was absolutely raving about how good the X Fusion was. He lent me his XFusion 02 RLX along with the stock CCDB that was usually used for test rides. The x fusion blew me away, i liked the simplicity in the set up, the initial stroke was very plush along with feeling supported through the rest. It just felt like a very solid shock.

So did the CCDB to be honest but considering the price difference it was a no brainer for me.

To the people on here who talk about the adjustability of the CCDB, why is that such a good thing. I bet 99 percent of people tune to the base tune provided by Cane Creek and never move from that. I do not know enough about suspension to warrant all that adjustability, and ill bet thats the same for the majority out there whether they admit it or not.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by macthekife View Post
    ... To the people on here who talk about the adjustability of the CCDB, why is that such a good thing. I bet 99 percent of people tune to the base tune provided by Cane Creek and never move from that ...
    This can be said for every shock - once you found a great working setting you don´t change much, if ever again ...

What I like about the CCDB (mine is a regular, no VX or CS!) is the wide range of adjustability without the need of custom tuning, shimming or what not. Need more bottom-out-resistance? Add a spacer. Want some more "pop-off"? Simply add some air or add 2-3 Klicks more LSC/LSR and there you are.
    What sounds complicated at first turnes out to be easy "tunable" and user-friendly once you get the idea how this shock works.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So didn't get out last weekend but did get out a couple of times this week and after adding some more pressure to the CCDB the bike is riding so much better than it ever has so thanks for the suggestions in getting the rid of the wallowy/sluggish feeling I was getting from the bike in rough/technical stuff.

I thought the bike was confidence inspiring before but it was like it had been transformed today and I was hitting stuff with more speed and confidence than I had previously.

In terms of the shock, it's far better than any fox I've had on bikes before and I do agree with NoStyle, once you get it set up you don't normally have to touch it again. That being said I can believe that the X-Fusion will be a great shock given how good the sweeps are I've got up front on my Spitty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Evteev View Post

Before I ordered my Monarch Plus I emailed Banshee (Dennis) and he wasn't 100% sure on the tune but recommended going for a mid-tune with a high volume can, should give a good linear feel. Should be on the bike in a week or so!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Still waiting for the new Inline. Should be available soon. Shock should be amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mr. Knowitall
    How about Avalanche tuning the DHX Air?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Evteev View Post
    Hi All,

Just a quick question about the shock. Really - HELP NEEDED!!

I ride a Large Spitfire V2. Great bike. The current shock is Fox DHX Air 4.0 that was originally bought as a temp solution (the frame was bought w/o a shock).

The current choice and question I face is:

Vector will probably come used and a bit cheaper than Monarch, but after a while may require a service equalling the cost.

Monarch is coming in new but I'm worried about these things:

- M/M tune. My understanding is that Spitfire really benefits from a Light tune.
    - DebonAir spring - how will it hold on the frame with my weight (around 220 lbs geared)? Or will the M/M tune help here?
    - Higher air pressure. From what I understand, DeonbAir uses higher pressures compared to standard air cans to achieve the same sag.

I briefly used an older (2011) Monarch Plus in L/L and a 2013 MOnarch RT3, in L/L tune as well. Both had to be pressurized to about 220 psi to achieve recommended sag. BTW, I would not want any of these 2 monarchs to have a firmer tune, so again another reason to worry about M/M.

I'm looking to get a 'holy grail os suspension', as always It must be very sensitive to small bumps but not bottom out easily. Mid-stroke support is desireable as well but my undestanding is that both these shocks are good in this regard.

Any thoughts and advice would be highly appreciated.
    So I thought I'd post a bit of feedback.

I did not go for X-Fusion after meeting in person and seeing it in flesh. It looked a bit more used than I was expecting and would require a service shortly. Apart from that, there was definitely an area on the shaft that looked.. not worn, but you could tell that the most seal movement was there, the anodizing looked a bit different although still quite smooth to the touch.

Probably I'm a bit paranoid but decided to keep the brand new DebonAir (who knows if it was a good decision? ).

So far roughly 3,5 hours riding time on brand new Monarch Debon Air in M/M tune. The impressions may change as it breaks in but so far:

- As I suspected, it requires A HELL OF A LOT more pressure. Regular Monarch and DHX Air needed around 220 psi, this one requires 295 (!) psi for a 15 mm sag. My weight is around 220 lbs naked.
    - It has very strong mid stroke support. So strong I'm not sure I really need that much.
    - Small bumps seem good to really good.
    - Mid bumps seem... not so good, as I think stong mid stroke plays against it.
    - Bottom out? Well, I did not really jump but I don't think I've seen the shock go over 80% of travel even in G-outs or places that would get other shocks move closer to the end of the travel.
    - Pedalling. Very good.
    - Rebound. Strange feeling, but I still cannot fine tune it. The shock overall leaves a bit strange feeling with good small bumps and strong mid stroke so I keep spinning the adjuster back and forth

So speaking about the overall shock impressions, I can say that they're a bit mixed at the moment. There's definitely something to this DebonAir setup, but so far I probably liked the suspension that was sagging into the travel a bit better. The front forks are 2009 Float 36 RC2s with a shortened air spring rod and SKF seals, and they're quite plush and willing to use the travel. The same cannot be said about the shock - mid travel is not.... harsh exactly, but quite 'dense', maybe. IMO Spitfire has a very good leverage curve (one of the reasons I went for it) and does not need THAT MUCH help with mid stroke. So far it feels like DebonAir M/M has a lot to offer in mid-stroke, but not too much to adjust it out. The bike at times feels that tiny bit hardtail-ish because the mid stroke is solid at the rear but not so much at the front. I'm still getting used to this, so far feels a bit unbalanced front to rear. The 'bottomless feel' of DebonAir? Hmmm.... I definitely could not get closer to the bottom of the travel and I'm not sure how strong the impact should be in order to make this happen, but I would not call this 'bottomless feel'. The bike still feels fast but does behave differently to what it was.

Another way to describe it - it does feel nice, if only it would deliver a bit more travel overall. Feels a bit 'shallow' so far. To be honest, this feeling about Spitfire suspension has been there from the start with DHX Air and regular Monarchs (Plus/RT3). I'm not sure if I'm asking too much, but this is by far not the first 140 mm bike I have and I've had others that would feel deeper. Should I have went for Rune?

The plan on what to do next is a bit uncertain. I'm thinking if I should open an essentially brand new shock and try to re-tune it to an M/L spec as described here:

Monarch RC3 Plus shim stack

I think that I should run it for a bit longer first and see if it breaks in and things improve without too much interference.

My main concern and 'dislike' is a very strong mid stroke and not being able to get closer to the end of the travel with proper sag and good small bump sensitivity.

Will try to keep updating on the subject.

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome!

MTB B'dos
    Andrew, have you tried something so simple as dropping 10-15 PSI out of the new shock to see what that does? Setting SAG perfectly to what it's 'sposed to be is great, in theory, but everyone has their own personal riding style and how they like a bike to feel. Thought I had it saved, but can't find t now, so must ask, what percentage of travel does 15mm SAG give you? Going by rough calculations it should be somewhere around 25%, but IIRC, the travel use on the KS Link is not linear and so it could be less or more. Some people like to run a stiffer, less sagged bike, some a plusher, more sagged bike, experiment, it's your bike and despite what your best friend says, or whatever pro or even Keith, they are not you, set it up to suit you, to your liking, so it feels how you like it. I think a bit more SAG should help you achieve what you're looking for.

Maybe the M/M tune does not suit the Spitty and you, but unless you experiment with something so simple as PSI first, before you going pulling at the insides, you will never know.

I had a pre-production Prime with a DHXA and I also had a weird feeling I could never get rid of with the rebound on it, but I think that's just the DHXA, unless you really go into and mess about with shim stacks and configuration, which I did and which did help a bit, so messing around insde can help, but I didn't do it until I had tried everything I could first. Now I'm on a Phantom running an X-Fusion 02 RCX, running probably close to 20% SAG and having no trouble getting and using full travel (no big jumps/drops, nothing over 2ft, but some decent G-outs) and it feels nice and firm pedaling, never notice a wallowy feeling like I had on the Prime with the DHXA and then am always surprised when I look down at the shock and see I've used all travel.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks LyNx, it all makes sense to me.

I did try to run Spitfire V2 with more and less sag on previous shocks and actually found that running 25-26 % sag on the shaft (around 14.5-15 mm, and it translates to roughly 30% of suspenstion travel from what I'd read on Bansheebikes blog) results in a 'better' ride than 30% sag on the shaft (around 17 mm and I think around 34-35% suspension sag). By 'better' I mean at least as good or better small bump sensitivity (counter intuitive but still) and livelier bike.

I think it may have something to do with the wheel path (it's backwards in the earlier part of travel so if you sag it deeper you have less of backwards wheel trajectory left) and leverage curve. The suspension is nicely progressive but you don't really want to use this progression too early in order to maintain sensitivity.

Having said that, I will try to give it a go. If it does not work directly it may at least help the shock to break in deeper in the travel

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Interesting - when I say that the CCDBA is the best shock I've used, I am coming off of a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon that had a dreadful RP23 followed by a pretty solid Push'd RC4. That said, it is my first departure from Fox, so who knows what I'm missing out on.

Maybe your experience can help me sort out an issue I've been having with the Spitfire...just this past weekend I took it up and rode one of the faster, gnarlier trails that I've ridden in a while, and I think I may have been experiencing the "compression spiking" that you were talking about. At higher speeds, the back end would tend to buck me a little bit when encountering fast, square edged hits, but without using all of its travel. I was thinking that I may just be running a bit too much compression damping, but could this be an issue inherent in the shock? All I know is, it didn't feel great.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Interesting - when I say that the CCDBA is the best shock I've used, I am coming off of a Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon that had a dreadful RP23 followed by a pretty solid Push'd RC4. That said, it is my first departure from Fox, so who knows what I'm missing out on.

Maybe your experience can help me sort out an issue I've been having with the Spitfire...just this past weekend I took it up and rode one of the faster, gnarlier trails that I've ridden in a while, and I think I may have been experiencing the "compression spiking" that you were talking about. At higher speeds, the back end would tend to buck me a little bit when encountering fast, square edged hits, but without using all of its travel. I was thinking that I may just be running a bit too much compression damping, but could this be an issue inherent in the shock? All I know is, it didn't feel great.
    that is what people experience, myself included. the shock is super adjustable, no doubt. but oil flow is an issue. try opening up your hsc and run that loop again. but also do some drops at that setting and make sure you don't blow through the travel. it is hard to find the happy medium. when i opened up hsc it blew through the travel on big hits. the spiking happens on fast successive hits. i could never tune it out

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One of the most useful adjustments with the DBair is the ability to change the air volume with addition of spacers... I ersonally tweak this in conjuntion with HSC, as reducing HSC will open it up nicely on high speed hits, but can cause it to blow through travel, so as I open HSC, I generally reduce air volume to compenaste and increase bottom out resistance.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

sui
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not to interrupt the current conversation, but;

What length stealth reverbs is everyone running? Heard there might be clearance issues with the 420mm...
    I'm on a Large V2 spitty running a 420mm Stealth and have no issue with full insertion (fnar fnar)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    One of the most useful adjustments with the DBair is the ability to change the air volume with addition of spacers... I ersonally tweak this in conjuntion with HSC, as reducing HSC will open it up nicely on high speed hits, but can cause it to blow through travel, so as I open HSC, I generally reduce air volume to compenaste and increase bottom out resistance.
    I still believe that inherently it is an oil flow issue as the spiking happens on the db coil as well. maybe the volume reducers help it on the dbair, but to me it is ultimately a limitation of the oil circuit

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I still believe that inherently it is an oil flow issue as the spiking happens on the db coil as well. maybe the volume reducers help it on the dbair, but to me it is ultimately a limitation of the oil circuit
    I talked to Craig from Avalanche yesterday on the issue because I experienced yet another ride on technical trails with bucking and spiking from the back end, and he confirmed what you're saying - the nature of the oil flow in a CCDB means that it does not work well for progressive or regressive suspension curves. The Spitfire has a rising rate in the end of its travel, and the "blow-off" style valving of the CCDB's oil circuits paired with the leverage curve causes a sort of hydraulic lock in the system that is the "spiking" feeling that you feel over fast, rough terrain. Dialing back HSC and throwing in a volume spacer may very well help this issue, but from Craig's explanation its more an innate issue of the relatively small oil pathways inherent in the space-constrained, yet complex CCDB.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

Mr. Knowitall
    Hmm, from what you guys are saying, I fear that my plan to get an AVA-ed Float as a spare and easier ride setup may end up as my DBAir CS is becoming my spare? I also have experienced some spiking, but I loosened a bit on both LS and HS comp and it became better. I will try another quarter turn more out on the HSC to see how that works. I did actually have an experience where I hit a rock really hard, breaking my rear carbon rim, but the shock didn't bottom out. I am about 71 kg without gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Not sure - all I know is, I'm looking at selling my CCDB as it is still in great shape and I already have access to a Float CTD for cheap that I can send to Avy, ultimately making some money off the shock change.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Ok, maybe I could have worded that a little better... This is the kind of thing I was meaning:

Quote Originally Posted by sui View Post
    I'm on a Large V2 spitty running a 420mm Stealth and have no issue with full insertion (fnar fnar)
    Thanks! Anyone have a 420mm Stealth Reverb on a medium frame? I'ld probably have it out a good few inches past the collar, juding from my current setup, but if I had to slam it right down for any reason would I be able to without kinking the cable/hitting the stealth hole?

I'm sure a 380mm would be fine, but would prefer a bit more insertion if possible.

Innuendo city!

mtbr member
    Not sure - all I know is, I'm looking at selling my CCDB as it is still in great shape and I already have access to a Float CTD for cheap that I can send to Avy, ultimately making some money off the shock change.
    That's a great plan. Heard from multiple peopl that they are happier on an Ava float than they were on a ccdb air. Custom shock vs a single tune do it all every frame shock I think the custom wins 99% of the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I notice excessive sag on my spitfire recently. After inspection is my ccdb air xv leaking air. Pressure drop from 140 psi to 100 psi. Not sure since when it happened.

I pump it back to 140 psi and observe over a week. It drop to 120+- psi

Does turning the air can (to change the air valve position) will cause this problem? This is the only thing i adjust lately. Im putting it back to original position and observing now.

The shox is 7 months old

Mr. Knowitall
    One drawback with the ava Float is that it will still heat up on longish descents, due to the small oil volume and air can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

I'm looking for a new front tire,my Hans Dampf being slowly at the end of his lifespan. I want a tire with more cornering grip than the HD, with a equivalent volume and if possible a weight of max 900g.
    As I leave in Switzerland and the Alps are free of snow, I will mostly ride mountains, terrain from rocks to loose, thru medium and hardpack and by almost every weather....
    Was thinking a Spe Butcher SX (got it already) or a Michelin Wild Rock'r 2.
    Any other suggestions?

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    High Roller 2? The 2.3 and 2.4 can both be had for under 900 grams.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What's the measured size of the 2.3 and 2.4 hr2?

mtbr member
    One drawback with the ava Float is that it will still heat up on longish descents, due to the small oil volume and air can.
    thjat is a good point. some people don't have descents long enough for the float to heat up. if that was the case i'd pick up an xfusion hlr air and be done with it. great shock and when it does need a service xfusion will custom tune it for your bikes suspension design. great shock stock and a great upgrade available from the manufacturuer

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone got a link to a down tube rock guard for the spitfire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch666 View Post
    I bought the Lizard Skins carbon frame skin (it's a rectangle of this rubber/foam stuff with a carbon-looking finish) and used a pair of scissors to cut it down and fit the downtube.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    thjat is a good point. some people don't have descents long enough for the float to heat up. if that was the case i'd pick up an xfusion hlr air and be done with it. great shock and when it does need a service xfusion will custom tune it for your bikes suspension design. great shock stock and a great upgrade available from the manufacturuer
    this is what i'm struggling with at the moment. Craig said that the overheating issue seems to happen at around 7 minutes of continues and technical downhill under a pro rider, and seems to think that most people will be fine. i am a bit concerned and have considered picking up the xfusion hlr instead as i can still cancel my order with Craig, but i can't decide what the best option will be.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    I can vouch that the HLR air is a bad ass damper, at least on my Prime. Smooooootthhhh as buttah.

mtbr member
    this is what i'm struggling with at the moment. Craig said that the overheating issue seems to happen at around 7 minutes of continues and technical downhill under a pro rider, and seems to think that most people will be fine. i am a bit concerned and have considered picking up the xfusion hlr instead as i can still cancel my order with Craig, but i can't decide what the best option will be.
    tough call. i've been very happy with my xfusion vengeance and have been keeping my eyes open for a vector air in the correct length for the spitfire. i know people on the ava floats and no one has complained of over heating. don'y know where you're riding, but if i had seven minute plus downhills i would go with a shock with an external reservoir myself.

if i had seven minuet downhills though i'd be going coil shock anyways

Mr. Knowitall

I use All Mountain Style, which is pretty good and good looking. www.allmountainstyle.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I use All Mountain Style, which is pretty good and good looking. All Mountain Style
    I've already fitted invisiframe, but was looking for something which attached with the bottle mounts that was maybe a bit more for the big hits?

Mr. Knowitall
    Checked if Rockguardz have one in the pipeline?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Checked if Rockguardz have one in the pipeline?
    I've emailed them, they have one for the Rune, maybe it'll fit. I'll update when I hear back

Mr. Knowitall

I've emailed them, they have one for the Rune, maybe it'll fit. I'll update when I hear back
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    [double post]
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    tough call. i've been very happy with my xfusion vengeance and have been keeping my eyes open for a vector air in the correct length for the spitfire. i know people on the ava floats and no one has complained of over heating. don'y know where you're riding, but if i had seven minute plus downhills i would go with a shock with an external reservoir myself.

if i had seven minuet downhills though i'd be going coil shock anyways
    I have been poking around for a good deal on a Vector Air in the Spitfire size and haven't had any luck, but I got such a good deal on the Float CTD Factory that I think I'm just going to give it a try and see what happens. I'll report back with opinions once I have it in my hands (sadly, Craig is booked out 3-4 weeks).
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Awesome!
    Ok, they haven't tried the Rune one on a Spitfire and they haven't had a Spitfire in to make a template. Anyone in West Shropshire with a Spitfire want a free Rockguardz? They give one in exchange for making the template from your bike......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What is the recommended PSI on the CCDBA CS on the spitfire?
    At 75KG naked ~ 78 KG with gear?

At around 15mm SAG the shock is pretty soft and uses all travel pretty fast.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    15mm is the recommended sag, so your PSI is not your issue.

Played with your HSC?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well maybe other people are using less sag to get a better shock feel -thats why I asked for the PSI in comparison.

No I let the HSC at the recommended value for now. I know I can stiffen up the high speed impacts, but I dont think only HSC will give me the desired feel.
    Of course I will try it the next time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Then try running 13 mm of sag :-) (i. E: put more air in until its 13mm)

That would be a far more accurate test than asking someone else of the same (ish) weight. Your clothes /shoes/backpack might be significantly heavier than someone who just did theirs with no backpack on / etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    A picture of mine after rocking the trails all day in Les Gets (France) !

none at none in Les Gets, France - photo by superq - Pinkbike
    Also, I met Keith at the Banshee booth ! Always a pleasure to have a chat with passionate and dedicated people !

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Very nice superq.

My friend is out there at the moment with pretty much the exact same spec as yours :-)

Stuck my mucky nutz front and rear on, looks like Bikepark Wales might be a bit splashy tomorrow!

2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1403960504947.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: 2013 Spitfire

My build is getting close to being done. Should be finished in about two weeks.

Full XX1 with grip shift 32t
    Manitou Mattoc Expert 150mm
    Cane creek Inline coming soon
    Crest wheels Hope Pro 2 hubs
    Zee brakes Magura 180/160 rotors

Thanks to Ethan @ Dirt Merchant for getting me hooked up with the frame and fork and all the info he provided.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2013 Spitfire-14515800376_fe3cb5714d_c.jpg

FM
    mtbr member
    awesome shot! Where is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks! That's Twin Lakes near Leadville CO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
    My build is getting close to being done. Should be finished in about two weeks.

Full XX1 with grip shift 32t
    Manitou Mattoc Expert 150mm
    Cane creek Inline coming soon
    Crest wheels Hope Pro 2 hubs
    Zee brakes Magura 180/160 rotors

Thanks to Ethan @ Dirt Merchant for getting me hooked up with the frame and fork and all the info he provided.

Nice build. I'd love to hear your impressions of the Mattoc when you get some ride time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What chain guides are you guys using on your spitfire bikes? I tried mounting a Shaman Commander Enduro ISCG05 today but could not get it to fit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a Blackspire DER chain guide going on mine. Did a test fit with the crank and it should clear. Will know better once I get the chain on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Blackspire Stinger.
    Needed to make some alterations to the backplate and roller though.

mtbr member
    I started with an E13 trs+ duel guide which fitted ok. then I switched to 1x10 with a N/W chainring with zee mech, ive now added a blackspire einfechx top guide as I dropped the chain a few times with the N/W so decided I wanted a bit of added security.

mtbr member
    Running the e13 XCX guide using the s3 mount. Haven't dropped a chain yet although I switched to narrow wide and then to clutched derailleur recently so may go without soon.

XCX+ E-type/S3 Direct Mount | the hive

Mr. Knowitall
    Anyone tested offset bushings on the Spitfire? I have an angleset right now, but it isn't optimal, with creaking making me miserable. When I make the transformation to 27.5", I consider a regular headset and offset bushings to lower the BB back to normal and make my bike more quiet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The spitty is pretty darn slack, what are you running it at?

Mr. Knowitall
    66 degrees is not pretty darn slack, it is normal slack. I have a -1 deg Works Angleset now, and 65 degrees is very good for steep, fast ****.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Anyone tested offset bushings on the Spitfire? I have an angleset right now, but it isn't optimal, with creaking making me miserable. When I make the transformation to 27.5", I consider a regular headset and offset bushings to lower the BB back to normal and make my bike more quiet.
    Keith mentioned somewhere shortly ago that offset-bushings will void warranty, because wheels or links can collide with the seattube ...

Mr. Knowitall
    Thanks, NoStyle. Colliding is not something I aim for, so I will have to find a better solution for my angleset, as I see abrasions just above the crown race on my 3 months old Pike. Think I might opt for Cane Creek rather than Works which I have now.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Hmmm ... not really sure if the Cane Creek Angleset is the better solution versus the Works-Components. The CC does need frequent maintenace = clean & grease to get the gimbals free of creaking in the cups. The Works-Components requires really proper installment. If so there should be no creaking at all, just the usual maintenace like regular headsets.
    If you only need one fixed headangle I would personally prefer the Works over the CC ...

MTB B'dos
    Well, you could go for a slightly shorter shock, loose a bit of travel and BB height, but gain the slackness you want - You might be surprised at how it rides like that, just need to do a bit more pedal timing. It was accidental, but that's how my Phantom is setup right now, shock is short by about 4-6mm, so travel is reduced by prob 10-15mm and angles slacked out about a 1/2 degree, but then I'm running it in the steepest setting, getting the shortest stays and still with mis-matched tyres prob near a 67.5* HTA (the same as set in the slackest mode) and the slacker STA I need with my long legs. As mentioned have to concentrate on pedal timing in the rough tech, but other than that it flat out rips.

Thanks, NoStyle. Colliding is not something I aim for, so I will have to find a better solution for my angleset, as I see abrasions just above the crown race on my 3 months old Pike. Think I might opt for Cane Creek rather than Works which I have now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

undercover brother
    66 degrees is not pretty darn slack, it is normal slack. I have a -1 deg Works Angleset now, and 65 degrees is very good for steep, fast ****.
    Can you tell me any other 140mm bike that has a head angle <66? I really don't see the point in needing to slacken the spitty out..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    2013 Spitfire-img_20140621_205731.jpg

..after cool daddy's pics of Colorado mountain tops I thought i'd bring everyone crashing back down to earth: here's a pic of my man cave/converted outdoor toilet. with my colour co-ordinated XL spitty and large v3 supreme dh .

you'd never guess the V3 is lower, slacker with a 63 HA.

I guess I like blue

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403960504947.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	904356
    Medium frame? What drop/length Reverb is that? Any idea roughly how far down the seat tube it is?

Just trying to decide on 380 or 420mm...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have a large Spitty, and I went with the 380mm post - tons of extension to spare, I have a 33-34" inseam.
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanxz in advance for your help.
    I'm in the proccess of sourcing out the parts for my very soon to be all around trail bike and enduro racing bike.
    I'm coming from a Pivot 5.7 which will be replaced due to the limit of fork travel.

My question is, will there be to much penalty in ride feel if I choose a 160mm pike in 650b config. My main concerns are manuverability in tight tree lined trails and steep technical descends.
    I'm not a smooth rider. I tend to flick my front wheel on tight trails.
    My descision on going for the 160 travel is mainly for steep descends as i was hoping this will keep the front end a little higher. And also help in bigger drops and jumps.

Side not. I prefer to run my forks a little softer than normal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Running a 160mm 650b pike will not be a problem... infact that is what I personally like most for the spitfire.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    can someone please advise on the recommended/optimum chain ring size for the spitty? (for a 1x10 set up) Im dumping my ethirteen 33t and getting a works component 32t

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thnxz Kieth,

hoping to build it up before the end of the month and log in some rides for next month's races, pretty excited as this will be my first custom build.

any thoughts on the spank spike bearclaw edition cockpit, the black with blue decals? i'm thinking about it for my small blue frame, also first time to build up with a color scheme in mind.

mtbr member
    Hello Spitfire owners,
    I have an XL 2013 red spit and was wondering if anybody wanted to switch with me? I want to go down to a large. I am 6'2" with long arms and just want a bike that fits a little better. I am trying here before I sell the frame and buy another one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    2014, not 2013

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Help me settle a dispute between a friend and I.

The drop outs for the spitty (26 and 27.5") not only changes the CS length, but also raises and lowers the BB height respectively. (Ignoring the wheels themselves)

Is that correct or not?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi,
    imho they do both - but just a little bit because of the angle it is mounted...
    I'd love to see when the BB gets 5-10mm lower with 650B - but that's not possible without lowering the fork too.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Help me settle a dispute between a friend and I.

The drop outs for the spitty (26 and 27.5") not only changes the CS length, but also raises and lowers the BB height respectively. (Ignoring the wheels themselves)

Is that correct or not?
    As far as I know the 650B-Dropouts only lengthen the chainstays. They don´t affect the BB hight. The higher BB (+/- 12 mm) is due to the larger diameter of the 650B-wheels ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Not too much info here yet, but I just got my Float CTD back from Avalanche - it now has a full new shimmed damper setup and no boost valve. No ride time yet, but just a quick bounce on the bike shows that it has (as I requested), strong LSC support but manages to be extremely supple right off the top. Really excited to see how the shock does on trail this weekend, but also concerned that it might make my XFusion Sweep feel a little lackluster
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm still waiting on the Inline for my rig. Bike is completely done and sitting sad and lonely in my house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    First run out of my medium Spitfire and i was blown away how good this bike is. I came from a Turner 5 spot and it is an amazing suspension platform so i was not expecting too much but the spitfire is so good on the ups. It climbs superbly. And descending, holy baby jesus it is a work of art :-)

Trans Savoie here i come :-)

2013 Spitfire-img_20140717_174916.jpg

Oh on another note the X Fusion 02 RCX is a fantastic shock, it's well worth a consideration over the Fox or the Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rock Razor on the back? How is it? Grippy enough?

What length Reverb did you go for?

I have a large Spitty, and I went with the 380mm post - tons of extension to spare, I have a 33-34" inseam.
    Thanks! leaning towards to 380mm...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rock Razor on the back? How is it? Grippy enough?

What length Reverb did you go for?

Thanks! leaning towards to 380mm...
    Aye the Rock Razor is ace, its bone dry here at the moment though.

Yep its a 380mm Reverb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know how changing the dropout positions effects the reach of the bike? I'm guessing as the HA and STA change, the ETT and reach have to change with them. I did stick the numbers into a geo calculator and it gave 452mm for the highest position, then slightly shorter reaches for the med/low settings, but I know they sometimes aren't the most reliable things. I'm just curious as i'm comparing the sizing to other bikes I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    as you said it's fairly simple and straightforward: steepest setting elongates the reach slightly, slacker shortens it a bit. the numbers would be fairly insignificant relative to the feeling of the head angle i would think.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Took the Spitfire on an uplift @Forest of Dean today. That bloody bike is going to make me sell up the DH bike

Fast ploughing through rough stuff, fast out the corners...and beat everyone up the push up path (there's a bit of a pedal to the top from where they drop you off), meaning you get to the bottom quicker = more uplifts.

Forest of Dean Flatland to Ski run - YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Is anyone running a Manitou Mattoc on their Spitfire? If so, any impressions?
    2011-ish Chromag Samurai

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have the Expert on mine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride yet as I'm waiting on a rear shock. I was able to test fit another rear shock to ride around my streets (new bike build).

Every adjustment on the Mattoc is noticeable. The axle is also a breeze to take off. Unlock twist and pull. I had the shop I bought it from lower the fork to 150mm as well.

Will have more feedback in about a week. Cane Creek Inline should be here this week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What shock is that?