Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So glad I got black

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

So it begins...

mtbr member
    I'm getting super jealous seeing all these new frames...I just want to get my new Spitfire on order, but I still haven't heard back from Trident regarding actually ordering my upgrade deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My V2 arrived with all the parts ready to swap from the V1, but can't ride until after board exams in 2.5 weeks.

Keith: I have a suggestion. You probably have a few experts/pros riding the V2 with intentions of giving professional ride reports, but have you ever considered shipping one out to Pinkbike's Brad Walton? He has reviewed many bikes and rips without a doubt. Plus, his ride reports on Pinkbike are very technical, well-thought out, exhaustive, and articulate.
    Banshee would benefit from his impressions, I believe. Just a suggestion. Reason I mention it is because his ride reports are well-respected. I could give mine, but they would include words like cool, fun, so-so, awesome.....
    Looking forward to the first ride on my V2. Anyone feel free to chime in on their ride. They should be trickling in by now. Unless your snowed in.

mtbr member
    Looks like Brad already got his hands on a Rune V2.

Mountain Biking Photos - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So frames come with all the 12x142 dropouts right? Including 650b ones?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlongb13 View Post
    So frames come with all the 12x142 dropouts right? Including 650b ones?
    No, you choose your dropouts when you order the frame. Extra dropouts are available for around $70-ish I beleive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hiawatha-de View Post
    My V2 arrived with all the parts ready to swap from the V1, but can't ride until after board exams in 2.5 weeks.

Keith: I have a suggestion. You probably have a few experts/pros riding the V2 with intentions of giving professional ride reports, but have you ever considered shipping one out to Pinkbike's Brad Walton? He has reviewed many bikes and rips without a doubt. Plus, his ride reports on Pinkbike are very technical, well-thought out, exhaustive, and articulate.
    Banshee would benefit from his impressions, I believe. Just a suggestion. Reason I mention it is because his ride reports are well-respected. I could give mine, but they would include words like cool, fun, so-so, awesome.....
    Looking forward to the first ride on my V2. Anyone feel free to chime in on their ride. They should be trickling in by now. Unless your snowed in.
    OK..... I am no expert or pro but do have a dozen years of north shore riding, the last 3 on my Rune for AM and consider myself an advanced rider.
    Rode the last 4 days on my medium spity v2 and defiantly feel the extra inch of WB over my v1 Rune as well as the added reach when out of the saddle.

Im 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
    Had 70mm stem and 28" bars on the med rune
    Have 60mm and 29.5 on the med spitfire.
    Same 160 Lyrik u turn coil
    As many are coming off a Rune like me I will make some comparisons as I see them.

On the 22/32 fire road climbs I cant say I notice much difference.
    On the short climbs on the trails I've been riding out of the saddle it feels as good or maybe better than the Rune.

The suspension feels awesome. Much better than I thought. The fox CTD soaks up the chunder and the feels just as good landing hits. My isx6 shock on the Rune needed service and it wasn't quite getting full travel. The v2 Spitfire suspension feels much better.

The Spitfire is a little tougher to manual, and on slow speed pops I have to lean back a little more.

In the air it feels good.

On the trail, I have to really lean forward. I have been getting faster every ride but I'm still having a hard time finding the sweet spot to get the proper traction and braking in the tighter corners.

Most of the trails I ride are Twisty with lots of pops and I wonder if a small frame would have been better for me.
    If I was an inch or two taller the fit would be better. I am going 1.5" wider with the bars on this bike. I may try a 50mm stem to push me back a bit but that would hamper single track climbing.

It seems like I'm shifting my weight back (to pop off things) and forth (to trail ride) a lot more which isn't good.
    Once I get better at finding the sweet spot and start cornering better this bike will be an absolute blast, after all I've just had four days on it.

Just my observations, your results may vary.
    Last edited by Nescafe; 01-22-2013 at 11:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Looks like Brad already got his hands on a Rune V2.

Mountain Biking Photos - Pinkbike
    interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Nescafe View Post
    this is interesting too. planning the same transition (rune to a spitfire) in the same locale - but i don't think i'm going to have any fit issues. you don't seem blown away...

mtbr member
    Maybe try increasing the head angle with the flip chips into the upper position to give a 67 degree head angle to match the V1 (Rune V1 had 67 deg head angle).

You have also put a 10mm shorter stem on which will also move your weight back. Maybe try putting the 70mm stem onto the spitfire and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Are you saying that you feel your weight is too far back or that you need to move your weight back when you're airing off of bumps in the trail? One thing that strikes me is that if you shorten your stem and widen your bars, it's kind of a wash. Add that to the fact that the consensus seems to be that the V2's are a bit longer than the V1's and it may be that you are too far forward compared to what you're used to. This would make it feel like you need to get back all the time. If it were me I'd try a shorter stem if anything. Steepening the HA a bit will also make manualing a little easier and would shorten the wheelbase. Just a thought....my frame hasn't arrived but I'll post my thoughts when it's ready (going large V1 spitty to V2).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joemosq View Post
    Here is my large spitfire I just built up last night. Super stoked on this bike!
    can I ask you what's your height and if is 650ed?

in case you are 6',1- 6',2 and 34-35" inseam, how do you feel it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OK..... I am no expert or pro but do have a dozen years of north shore riding, the last 3 on my Rune for AM and consider myself an advanced rider.
    Rode the last 4 days on my medium spity v2 and defiantly feel the extra inch of WB over my v1 Rune as well as the added reach when out of the saddle.

Im 5'9" with a 30" inseam.
    Had 70mm stem and 28" bars on the med rune
    Have 60mm and 29.5 on the med spitfire.
    Same 160 Lyrik u turn coil
    As many are coming off a Rune like me I will make some comparisons as I see them.

On the 22/32 fire road climbs I cant say I notice much difference.
    On the short climbs on the trails I've been riding out of the saddle it feels as good or maybe better than the Rune.

The suspension feels awesome. Much better than I thought. The fox CTD soaks up the chunder and the feels just as good landing hits. My isx6 shock on the Rune needed service and it wasn't quite getting full travel. The v2 Spitfire suspension feels much better.

The Spitfire is a little tougher to manual, and on slow speed pops I have to lean back a little more.

In the air it feels good.

On the trail, I have to really lean forward. I have been getting faster every ride but I'm still having a hard time finding the sweet spot to get the proper traction and braking in the tighter corners.

Most of the trails I ride are Twisty with lots of pops and I wonder if a small frame would have been better for me.
    If I was an inch or two taller the fit would be better. I am going 1.5" wider with the bars on this bike. I may try a 50mm stem to push me back a bit but that would hamper single track climbing.

It seems like I'm shifting my weight back (to pop off things) and forth (to trail ride) a lot more which isn't good.
    Once I get better at finding the sweet spot and start cornering better this bike will be an absolute blast, after all I've just had four days on it.

I would definitely try going with a shorter stem. Even down to 30 mm if you have to. Maybe try some riser bars or increased stack height, too. I think finding the sweet spot on the spitfire involves messing with the front end,

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The new breed of Banshee's are definitely designed around shorter stem length to help create a more fun ride without sacrificing weight distribution. If going from a V1 spitfire to a V2 spitfire of same size, I'd suggest you shorten stem by 10-20mm (depending on personal peferance, and assuming bar length remains the same, if bars go wider then take another 5-10mm off stem length).
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'll add a little more info to my post above.

I've been riding between the steep and middle settings. Don't really want to go too slack. Middle feels better.
    Saddle is full forward on the rails with the 60mm stem and feels comfortable climbing.

I have taken the 45mm stem off my DH bike to try for the next ride. I hope I will not have to move back and forth as much now
    Some of the rides I do, have extended technical singletrack climbs, and I question how this will be with a short stem which seems necessary for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    3050 grams outta the box - medium black frame only, no shock/hardware, no dropouts, no seatpost. With the shock/hardware and x12 dropouts added, its just over 3400 grams.
    Last edited by Breal604; 01-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    5 days 5 rides on the new bike.
    After a week and a half of unusualy great winter conditions in Vancouver, we are back to the rain.
    On days like this I usually do trail work instead of ride, but, new bike........you know!

One ride in sloppy conditions does not warrant a review, but I will say the shorter stem feels way better(for me). Much easier to get the front up and less weight shifting back and forth.

Also, I remember the feeling of going from a single pivot bike to a VPP years ago and how each pedal stroke felt like it propeled you forward. I get a little of that feeling with the KS link over the v1 Rune.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does anyone have any 650b dropouts they would be willing to sell. Trident is out, banshee is out. Four week lead time. I need these dropouts!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlongb13 View Post
    Does anyone have any 650b dropouts they would be willing to sell. Trident is out, banshee is out. Four week lead time. I need these dropouts!!
    We have them... but we are in Europe !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check shipping to 45205 in Ohio. Seriously. I picked up some 650b Enve wheels and now I can't run them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I put my order in for a Frame/650b Drop outs a week and a half ago or so.
    Red, L,
    Just ordered my CC DBair from Cane Creek
    XX1,
    Arch EX on DT 240s, Sapim CX Ray
    Trail XO brakes
    enve bars, thompson, etc etc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phallski View Post
    I put my order in for a Frame/650b Drop outs a week and a half ago or so.
    Red, L,
    Just ordered my CC DBair from Cane Creek
    XX1,
    Arch EX on DT 240s, Sapim CX Ray
    Trail XO brakes
    enve bars, thompson, etc etc
    Sounds nice and a lightweight build/objective? What fork you gonna use?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Full build spec is as follows, Going with a 150 RCT3 Revelation. I'm planning around 28 lbs complete, including a chainguide, dropper, and Shimano DX SPD's. This will be a one bike quiver for me, riding in the Salt Lake/Park City area, so I want it strong for shuttles/riding lifts at DV, but also light enough to climb 4-5k/day.
    Frame Spitfire V2
    Shock CC DB Air
    Headset Cane Creen 110
    Fork Revelation449.28
    Stem Thomson X4
    Bar Enve DH
    Shifter XX1
    R.Derailleur XX1
    Chain XX1
    Cassette XX1
    Cranks XX1
    Bottom Bracket GXP
    Chainguide LG1
    Brakes x0 Trail
    Rotors HSX160/180
    Front Hub DT 240s 15mm CenterLock
    Rear Hub Dt240s 12x142 Centerlock
    Rims Arch EX
    Spokes Sapim CX-Ray
    Nipples Wheelsmith
    Tire F
    Tire R
    Post Lev
    Saddle Silverado Pro
    Grips Longneck
    Pedals DX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Assembling mine now. Due to the non-availability of the 650B dropouts the build has changed a slight bit. Gonna be wicked. Pics up later tonight. Also, don't know if I am allowed to do this or not, but check my for sale stuff. I have some killer 650B DT Swiss wheels for sale in there that would be awesome on this bike. I just got lucky and scored some Enve 650B's so mine are for sale. Brand new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

built up with all the parts from my rune:

- bagged out xt/x9 drive train, still waiting for an s3 front derailleur
    - 36 float (damn this thing is heavy! soon to be swapped out for a revelation methinks)
    - xt/singletrack wheels with minion exo's (again, heavy as hell but they'll do. i've got some 650 drop outs ordered, and hopefully will be able to build myself a nice mid-size wheelset later this year)
    - new slx brakes, work wicked good
    - manitou isx-6 shock - having to pretty much relearn how to set this thing up, suspension acts much different from the rune's. range of adjustment is retarded

probably weighs closer to 35 lbs than 30, but who cares
    Last edited by boomforeal; 01-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast