Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    If it's the same issue as the Rune, the 32t ring is not the problem, it'll be the guide. I had to abandon my small drivetrain idea(32t with 9spd road cassette and E13 SRS+ 32T special guide). The guide didn't clear the dropped stay and the chain would rub against the bottom of the stay when I was in the 32/11 combo.

mtbr member
    Yeah I had read about the issues with the Rune but wasn't sure if it applies to the Spitfire as well. If there is a risk of rub on the stay then I might try the MRP AMG guide which doesn't have the bottom guide, just a top and taco.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    It was asked earlier in the thread, but I didn't see an answer. Will a 175mm 156 q factor XX1 crank work on the Spitfire or Rune?
    All Banshee frames require the 168mm Qfactor cranks (wide). The narrow Q factor cranks are just for skinny XC race bikes.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    Yeah I had read about the issues with the Rune but wasn't sure if it applies to the Spitfire as well. If there is a risk of rub on the stay then I might try the MRP AMG guide which doesn't have the bottom guide, just a top and taco.
    On my Prime:
    MRP AMG guide
    Woftooth 30t ring
    Zee FR RD

works great! You really don't need a lower chainguide with the clutch + stepped ring combo. In fact, you probably don't need a chainguide at all... I just wanted some form of bash protection.

I also tried a similar set-up but without the stepped ring. No dropped chains, but a bit more chainslap noise.

Not missing the drag & noise from a full chainguide, thats for sure!

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the input. But now I have read more I am worried about the taco style bash damaging the frame but presume it would take a big hit to do this?!? My setup will be more trail oriented than freeride so I cant imagine taken big hits just need something to help slide over the rocks and roots a bit while protecting the chainring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Guyz, please update me with shock size for spitfire v2.
    concidering an offer w/o shock.

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    7.875x2.25" (40x8mm shaft end, 25.4x8mm reservoir end)
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    @ builttoride, will you be at Eurobike this year ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I will not be there personally, but there is a banshee botth and Jay will be there.

hall/stand no.: FG-A7/5
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey Keith I saw your spitfire at glencoe on sat, I recognised it from pics on here. I spoke to your friend about it and told him I had one and I loved it! Shame the event was cancelled after 3 hours, I had my dh bike and was doing laps for fun as most people were getting hammered on their enduro bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ha, yeah, Kenny said he bumped into a spitfire owner. I miss that proto! Glad you were out there having fun, wish I could have been there too!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Sorry guys, still not sure about chain guide compatibility on the Spitfire. I don't really have the chance to try out options in the LBS so I am going to have to order online and I am looking now at the e.13 SRS+ but not sure which size to get.

@builttoride You mentioned in the Rune thread that you're running the SRS+ on your Spitfire without any problems, is that the 32t, 32-36t or 36-40t version?

@juanbeegas You had problems with clearance on your Rune with the SRS+32. Did you try the 32-36t? How was it? What are you running now?

mtbr member
    So for anyone who has a similar predicament, I just received this email from Derek at e13...

I would recommend going with the SRS+ 32-36 over the 32 specific due to the dropped chain stays on the V2 frame.
    The main issue will be getting the correct alignment of the upper plastics and correct clocking of the backplate. The 32-36 will allow you to set up the backplate correctly AND allow for clearance of the dropped chain stay frame design. Running the 32 specific would most likely result in the under clocking of the upper arm in order to clear the stay. This would result in potential damage to the upper slider or even pulling the chain out of the top( as a worst case).
    You might also want to look into the LG1+ turbo. It incorporates the best features of both guides with a bit more bash protection with minimal weight penalty.

Cheers,
    derek

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post

@builttoride You mentioned in the Rune thread that you're running the SRS+ on your Spitfire without any problems, is that the 32t, 32-36t or 36-40t version?
    32-36 version for me.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    32-36 version for me.
    Got it! Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Is this the correct Du Bushing and Reducer Kit for the shaft end of the rear shock? Fox Float CTD on my spitfire v2? The spec for the part number 803-03-189 is for 8mmx39.88mm. The Spitfire v2 specs on the banshee site say 8mmx40mm.

Fox Shox Polymer Du Bushing Reducer Kit > Components > Rear Shocks > Mounting Hardware | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

part number: 803-03-189

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    Is this the correct Du Bushing and Reducer Kit for the shaft end of the rear shock? Fox Float CTD on my spitfire v2? The spec for the part number 803-03-189 is for 8mmx39.88mm. The Spitfire v2 specs on the banshee site say 8mmx40mm.

Fox Shox Polymer Du Bushing Reducer Kit > Components > Rear Shocks > Mounting Hardware | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

part number: 803-03-189
    That is the correct spec. Fox work in imperial, and so we always pick the size just smaller than the gap to make fitment easier.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    THanks!!!

tsss...who uses imperial?!....what real engineer would ever commit such a heinous crime!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Upgrade kernel to V2 - complete

mtbr member
    Just saw this link on the Darkside thread Banshee Tests 650B Downhill & Other Mountain Bikes, Developing 100mm ?Trail? 29er

The Spitfire gets refined to drop a bit of weight. It has new forgings on the rear triangle at the yoke, with each side now being a one piece part, and dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Would be good to know when the updates will happen?

mtbr member
    When will the new changes happened as I am about to order a framset. Neway any new colors for 2014 spitty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2014 spitfires should be arriving in shops by end of September. The updates are just little tweaks and refinements, so not huge changes from 2013 by any means. Biggest change is the addition of a reverb stealth routing.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    :d
    Last edited by legendMKI; 08-17-2013 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi everyone,

i am about to buy a 2013 Spitfire frame.After hours of search i still do not know which size to choose.I am about 184cm (6.03 feet) inseam length 90cm (35.4 in).At the moment i am reading a Cotic BFe size 17" (reach round about 405mm,top tube effective 590mm) which i really like.Sometimes it could be a little bit longer.And for peadling i have to pull out my 410mm Elite seatpost almost to the maximum (1.5cm left,insert is 11.5cm).I also had a 2011 Sepcialized Enduro size M,a Specialized SX Trail 2009 size M,a Transition TR250 size L and a DMR Trailstar 2010 size M.So i used to take small bikes.
    I would prefer reach and effective top tube of the Spitfire sized M but i am really concerned about the short seat tube.The large seems to be very long.And i do not have the possibilty to ride a M or L frame.
    Maybe some of you guys can tell me your size and frame size and if you do like short or long bikes.
    Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nullstein, not to be flippant, but really at your height you are a standard size large. i don't think there is any really point in looking at medium sized bikes. large Spitty for you mate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yup Large with a short stem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Awwww maaaan.
    The last batch got cancelled in favour of the 2014 frames coming. Supposedly coming the end of September, but knowing the biking industry, that means October if I'm very lucky.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I will not be there personally, but there is a banshee botth and Jay will be there.

hall/stand no.: FG-A7/5
    Hmm can't find your stand. Hall A7 but all stands have 3 digit numbers...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Had this built up for a week or two. It rocks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-2013-08-23-11.51.03.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Have a spitfire on order - can anyone tell me if it includes the front direct mount derailleur mounting bolts and the half moon looking spacer? My direct mount xt front mech didn't include them.

Thanks!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    No! Curious - I bought a SRAM X0 and these Bolts were included ...

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by rusto View Post
    Had this built up for a week or two. It rocks!
    Specs/weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moro View Post
    Upgrade kernel to V2 - complete

Oh my god. That is pure amazingness!!

I've been on a prime 29er for a couple of months, but I've ordered a spitfire 650b as I think it will suit better. Keith advised a rune for occasional uplift days, but 95% of my riding is trail.

I've got some 29er e13 wheels for sale, and a prime frame in yellow large probably too.

I jumped from 26 - 29 and loved it, I'm just thinking 650b in the back of my head....

A

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Will all colors and a full range of sizes be available once they hit shops later this month? Looking for XL Stealth Ano Black...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just venting for the sake of it, but I'm pretty over waiting for this fracking bike.
    I don't think I can wait for 'till the end of the month for the 2014 one.

I can get hold of a size L 2013 one, I'm 5.9" .... you guys reckon I can get away with it, and just run a short stem?

mtbr member
    i'd be patient if i were you. im 5'9" with a 31" inseam. the medium is plenty of bike for me. I definitely wouldnt want to go any bigger...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Just venting for the sake of it, but I'm pretty over waiting for this fracking bike.

I can get hold of a size L 2013 one, I'm 5.9" .... you guys reckon I can get away with it, and just run a short stem?
    For your height I would wait for the medium.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I prefer my bikes on the bigger side.
    I have short legs and a long torso, so prefer lots of standover but with a long reach.

I have a Medium Production Privee, that feels tiny, the large felt good when I rode a mate's:
    SHAN 917

My DH bike is a Large Evil Undead and can't imagine riding it smaller:
    Evil Undead Frame

The bike I hated most of all the bikes I have ever owned / Ridden, was the Medium Intense Tracer 2.
    I kept on "Jack knifing" / T-boning in corners as I felt like I was far too cramped, my natural riding position is very far forward:

Still reckon the Large would be too big?

FM
    mtbr member
    Still reckon the Large would be too big?
    I think so (Also 5'-9"/32" inseam).
    I've experimented with sizing up & down on frames. The difference in TT lengths between sizes is typically less than an inch, with stem & seat adjustments it can work. Riders can happily adapt too a bike that's a little to big/small. Your riding style adapts and then the "right size" can feel wrong.
    My own experience, after a season on larger/longer bikes I went back to mediums. Although they felt cramped at first I adapted and my riding improved. I wasn't fighting the bike so much. I'd go smaller before going larger... but mediums are typically just right.

spinner
    I'd wait too. I made the mistake many years ago of snapping up a large bike in store at a good price that I figured I could "shorten". 12 months later I gave in and changed frames.

I'm also waiting for a 2014. I'm 6ft and was very lucky to get a test ride on a medium last weekend. It felt great ! It had a 35mm stem which was ok but I'll use my current 50mm stem which I'm thinking will be perfect . A large would be too big for me and yes it is personal preference but at 5'9" , a large would be pretty darn big man !

mtbr member

I'd be waiting as the new black on black for 2014 range looks hot as hell plus the stealth cable routing is a plus

spinner
    All Banshee frames require the 168mm Qfactor cranks (wide). The narrow Q factor cranks are just for skinny XC race bikes.
    I'm hoping to run XT M785 cranks on my 2014 Spitfire but I cant confirm if they are 168 q factor. If they are not , any other crankset suggestions around the same spec as the XTs ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    New member here just signed up.

Have just ordered a large spitfire in black/black with CCDB Air CS and am looking forward to it.

Going to run some 150mm Pikes in 27.5 configuration, but havent really decided on the drivetrain options as yet, but am leaning towards an XT setup.

Any ideas on decent strength wheelset? Im 6"2" and 240 pounds so im a bit of a fatass, and tend to chew through wheels.

Thanks in advance fellow Banshee folk !

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've just ordered 160 650b pikes. Well worth the extra travel.

Got e13 trs 29 wheels on my prime. But went for flow 650b. Seam quite stiff indeed for the spitfire. Eventually I will save up for trs650b rims.

Post a picture when it's done!!

mtbr member
    go with the flow ex rims

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does anyone know where to get these "top hat" washers in the states?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-yu9bjih.jpg  

Last edited by coocoomike; 09-13-2013 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Contact your local dealer, they can source them from your regional distributor.

In future make sure that you do not over toqrue the pivots. The maximum torque rating laser etched on each pivot for a reason.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks! lesson learned.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Taking the advice from here and sticking to the medium.
    Test rode a Large, and it was gigantic...particularly the wheelbase and seattube