Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by superQ View Post
    13.85kg as shown on the pictures.
    Enjoy

Spitfire-V2-2013 Photo Album - Pinkbike
    Oh yeah, me like!! Very nice indeed.

Is that BOS stuff internally adjustable for travel? Their upcoming 650B fork would be nice in a 140 or 150 travel setting depending on the A/C height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks !!

I've been riding on BOS suspensions since 2009. I have BOS suspensions on my DH bike and I'm very happy with them so I went for a Deville on the Spitfire.

In my opinion, what really set BOS apart from other brands (Fox, Marzocchi, RS etc.) is the quality and the simplicity of the cartridge (open bath with no fuzzy damping system. Only shims and oil). They don't rely on new-fancy-aerospace-japanese-plastic technologies, they just engineer and build quality products.

The Deville is no exception. It sticks to the ground, gives a lot of traction while still keeping a lively feel. Thus, I found their TRC system really clever. Instead of simply locking the fork, it increases the stiffness of the air spring. So you have all the advantages of a lockout system in terms of pedaling efficiency, but still have a fork that filters the terrain (roots or rocks for example).
    The weight is also pretty competitive compared to other brands out there.

So I'm very happy with the fork and stongly recommend it.

PS: No travel adjust. The reason is that the air spring chamber is slightly different on the 140 and 160mm. And from what I know (I'm from France) there's no plans for travel adjust, but who knows....BOS often suddenly come out with new stuff.
    For those of you that want more info about BOS products, feel free to send me a PM. (I don't work for/with BOS, I'm just one of the biggest enthusiasts of the brand here in France....and possibly on earth ).

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by superQ View Post
    ... In my opinion, what really set BOS apart from other brands (Fox, Marzocchi, RS etc.) is the quality and the simplicity of the cartridge (open bath with no fuzzy damping system. Only shims and oil). They don't rely on new-fancy-aerospace-japanese-plastic technologies, they just engineer and build quality products.

The Deville is no exception. It sticks to the ground, gives a lot of traction while still keeping a lively feel. Thus, I found their TRC system really clever. Instead of simply locking the fork, it increases the stiffness of the air spring. So you have all the advantages of a lockout system in terms of pedaling efficiency, but still have a fork that filters the terrain (roots or rocks for example).
    The weight is also pretty competitive compared to other brands out there.

So I'm very happy with the fork and stongly recommend it ...
    Me too!

I went for the Deville on my Spitfire because of simple Adjustment (Air-Pressure, HSC, LSC, Rebound) - and for itīs Plenty of Tire-Clearance which fits a 650B up to 2.35 in the regular 26-Fork. Plus the Opportunity of still going with 20 mm Thruaxle and 1 1/8 Steerer (makes for a ZS-Angleset).

Mine is without TRC - after Years of Travel-Adjustment I wanted to keep Suspension-Settings as simple as possible - set and forget. The Spitfireīs Geometry and KS-Link is pretty unique and dialled and at least doesnīt really require Platform or lowering the Fork.

The Manufacturing-Quality is Top-Notch and reminds me of the good old Bologna-made-Marzocchis, if not better. BOS is expensive, but the Deville is one of the lightest and stiffest Forks in the 160 mm Travel-Range. Beautyfull made and awesome Performance.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When I mentioned travel adjustment I didn't mean like a Talas or Dual position Air. Just meant could you adjust it internally either with a spacer or the pin in ladder system like X-Fusion uses.

No Style, what 650 2.35" tire you running in that 26" fork? Have any pics of clearance at the arch and especially the bottom of the crown at full bottom out (all air out of the fork). Also what's the A/C height @ 160mm?

I'd have to research the TRC more but Air-Pressure, HSC, LSC, Rebound would cover it for me. The new US distributor is in the next state over so that's convenient should I decide to buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    No you can't adjust the travel internally (with spacers etc.) because you would also have to adjust the air chamber accordingly and BOS does not provide any info or parts to do so.

Still, I guess they can do it for you but the move will be permanent (if you would like to go back to the original travel you would need send them the fork again). And their policy about this adjustment is not really clear. They seem a bit reluctant.

Here's some detailed info about how the TRC (Twin Rate Curve) works :
    2013 Spitfire-capture-d-cran-2013-06-20-15.13.06.jpg
    2013 Spitfire-capture-d-cran-2013-06-20-15.03.17.jpg
    Source : BOS Suspension.

The red curve is with TRC "off" and the blue one with TRC "on".
    So the curve remains the same on the first mm of travel to ensure consistent grip. Afterwards, the curve gets more progressive (with TRC "on"). So the fork will only respond to bigger hits (say rocks or holes) and stay stiff enough to climb easily.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    When I mentioned travel adjustment I didn't mean like a Talas or Dual position Air. Just meant could you adjust it internally either with a spacer or the pin in ladder system like X-Fusion uses.

No Style, what 650 2.35" tire you running in that 26" fork? Have any pics of clearance at the arch and especially the bottom of the crown at full bottom out (all air out of the fork). Also what's the A/C height @ 160mm?

I'd have to research the TRC more but Air-Pressure, HSC, LSC, Rebound would cover it for me. The new US distributor is in the next state over so that's convenient should I decide to buy.
    As far as I know there is no Possibility to adjust Travel via internal Spacers or something like that. The Deville offers 160, 170 or 140 (new AM) fixed Travel.

TRC means internal reducing the Travel to more progressive 100 mm without affecting A-to-C-Height.

Iīm running 2.25 650B Tires. The Pictures with 2.35 Tires, fully compressed, have unfortunately been deleted. If I remember correctly there was 5 mm Clearance with 2.35ers, on both Arch and Crown. I can quickly post a Picture with my 2.25 Hans Dampf tomorrow.

A-to-C-Height is about 545 mm (26-Version).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Excellent info, thanks guys

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Did you guys receive volume reduction spacers with your DBAirs (coming stock with the frame) ?
    If so, were they already installed ?
    Last edited by superQ; 06-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    ... No Style, what 650 2.35" tire you running in that 26" fork? Have any pics of clearance at the arch and especially the bottom of the crown at full bottom out (all air out of the fork) ...
    Hi Skidad,

if you want I can do another Picture fully compressed during the Weekend. Didnīt had the Time yesterday...
    As you can see, around 10 mm Clearance with Schwalbe HansDampf 2.25. The 2.35 has a few Millimeters tighter Clearance.

I would recommend waiting for the 650B-Deville when it has to be BOS, same for the 650B-Dropouts (or both) when you want to keep the Spitfire. I know that a 650B 2.25 Tire does well on most of my Riding and a few Months ago I could not have imagined that the bigger Wheels turned out to my favorite Size - thatīs the Reason to went with 650B-non-specific-Fork from the Start, knowing the Deville offers the most Tire-Clearance and would work fine. If Things change to bigger Tires most of the Time I maybe have the Possibility to get a new 650B-Casting and be 650B Full-In.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-foto.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the pics No Style. More than enough clearance for the 2.25". Some of the bigger 2.35's could get tight (or even bigger 2.4's) but I'll bet most would still fit. Lot's of clearance for a 26" fork using 650B wheels.

Yeah, I will wait and see about the upcoming 650 fork. No rush but an interest for sure. I have the White Bros. Loop to work with in the mean time (including custom blue decal set for it from Slick Graphics. White Bros. kindly supplied the decal file for these to reproduced. Blue theme going on my raw frame. Stan's decals in blue also). Even though the Loop is a full 650B fork it's A/C is low @ 534mm for 150 travel so there will be a fine line between HA and BB height setting this thing up. Soon, has to be ready before the July 4th weekend. FINALLY have my Hadley XX1 driver body on it's way. That has taken forever to be finished. I'll be using the 26" drops in 12x142 for now but as soon as those new 650B drops are ready I'm on it.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yes, the Deville offers very much Clearance. As mentioned - with Schwalbe HD 2.35 the Clearance is still 5 to 7 mm! By the way: the 2.35 HD is nearly as big as the 2.4 Maxxis Highroller II - at least both 26-Versions have the same Dimensions.

As for the (low) A/C of the WB Loop: Does the Fork have Tapered Steerer? Have you thought about going with Angleset? From what I know the only Option of going external (lower) Headset-Cup on ZS44/56 Headtubes and to raise the BB a little ...

Iīm going to purchase some new Dropouts too when they are available. Till then Iīm pretty much clear about a fixed Wheelsize, because for now 650B feels so right, but like to keep the shorter Chainstays ...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tapered fork on the Loop and head set installed already. Not a fan of the external cup "look" anyway. Really like the clean look of the big 56mm ZS lower and wish all the companies would adopt it. I like a high BB and don't mind a somewhat steep HA. I figure BB will end up between 13.5"-13.75" with a HA of 67.5-68 degrees. It should climb gnarly stuff really well I'm hoping.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Heres the latest picture of my spitfire build , just swapped the bars to raceface atlas kash money cut to 750mm ,nukeproof pedals and raceface grips

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1371825874366.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1371825898346.jpg  

2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1371825918233.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    As you can see, around 10 mm Clearance with Schwalbe HansDampf 2.25. The 2.35 has a few Millimeters tighter Clearance.
    Probably stating the obvious, but the fork's arch, though also a limiter, isn't the only thing you should be measuring. The fork has to be completely compressed, (let the air/spring out), and see if the CROWN touches the tire. The crown will actually travel below the arch in most cases.

About to build up a Spitty myself as soon as my wheels come in. Got everything including a new Pike, so its killing me staring at this thing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep, that's why 650B Devilles will have specific lowers as well as a specific crown.

mtbr member
    I just don't want people getting hurt because of a simple oversight. Bottoming out on a fast decent could end up BAAAAAD if that crown smacks a tire.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    All true and Iīm of Course aware of that!!!
    But the Deville (26-Version) offers enough Clearance full compressed with HansDampf 2.35. I have checked this several Times befor buying - I can assure.
    The 650B HansDampf in 2.25 is just enough for Trailriding, so I do have some more Clearance. As mentioned: As soon as my Riding requires 2.35er or 2.4er Tires most of the Time Iīm going to get a 650B-Deville. For now the 26er Deville just works fine with 650B-Wheels, as it offers the most Conversion-Clearance of all 26-Forks.
    Another Thing is: I wanted to get as early as possible into the 650B-Thing with the Spitfire, so 2013 is my Season to check which Wheelsize to keep. I didnīt want to wait or waist Time for new 650B-Offerings that mostly come out for the next Season.

mtbr member
    Rode stevens pass bike park this weekend on my spitfire....all i can say is wow. Bike ate up slingshot wookie no problem (the technical single track line). The rear linkage is effing beefy and felt extremely stable. This bike is the tits.

mtbr member
    Lots of sweet Spitties on here! I've posted my Rune v2 on pinkbike in hopes of building up a Spitfire this Fall. Have we seen a sub-28 lb Spitfire with a real fork (34mm +) and dropper yet?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Me not really when it has to have 34er Fork, Dropper-Post and reasonable Tires ...

mtbr member
    Can't keep my excitement to myself. Just placed my order for a 2014 Spitty in stealth black to replace my 2009 Tracer VP. I've been told eta October. In the meantime I can't ride anyway, impending surgery, so the Spitty should arrive by the time I am all fixed up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    hi im tempted by a spitfire - however the one thing thats putting me off is the low BB. I currently run a yeti 575 which has a bb height of 13.6 which is about as low as I can stand. If I got a spitfire then its 13.0 inches in the slackest setting, which is what i'd probably run it in most of the time. What are your experiences of this as I can't stand rock strikes on uphills. Otherwise I might just go for a Rune - although the weight and overlap with my DH bike puts me off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One thing to consider with BB height is how the suspension behaves under power. The Spitfire has more antisquat than the 575, and so will not move into it's travel as much under power which is when you are most likely to have pedal strikes. Another option if you are worried, is to run the bike in higher setting and use an angleset to keep the head angle slack.

If you can get a chance to test ride a spitfire and/or rune before you buy this will give you a better idea of what will work for you best.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yes, I can confirm this - the Spitfire sits more "higher" in itīs Travel, with a slightly progressive Ratio, resulting in a wide usable Midstroke without blowing through.

To get a little higher BB and therefor steeper Seatangle an Angleset is a very good Choice. Seems like Iīm one of the very few who did exactly that: Neutral Flip-Chip-Setting and -0,5, sometimes -1 Deg Angleset to keep the HA at the sweet 66.

Maybe another Point of interest:
    If you plan to go 650B the Spitfire gets a pretty bang on BB-Height!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what they're saying; it has good anti-squat while pedaling especially uphill. And your bb and HA etc all depend on the set-up as well. E.g I'm running a Fox 36 160, neutral flip-chip, 2.35" tires and my static bb height is 13.5" with a 66 HA.

mtbr member
    What is the best fork travel for 650b wheels, 150mm or 160mm? I am currently running 26" wheels with a RS Revelation 150mm and happy with it. But I want to try 650b and need to buy a new fork for that, so I am debating what size to go with, or try to get one that is adjustable. I am leaning towards the XFusion Sweep if it is available in the next month or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd personally opt for 150mm forks if running 650B to keep the stack lower.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    What is the best fork travel for 650b wheels, 150mm or 160mm? I am currently running 26" wheels with a RS Revelation 150mm and happy with it. But I want to try 650b and need to buy a new fork for that, so I am debating what size to go with, or try to get one that is adjustable. I am leaning towards the XFusion Sweep if it is available in the next month or so.
    Not sure what the best Forktravel is. Doesnīt this depend on personal Preference?
    X-Fusion Sweep, RockShox Pike or BOS Deville, all in 650B, could be great Choices when they are available. I personally have a BOS Deville 160 mm Travel (non-650B-specific, but with plenty Clearance), -0,5 Deg Zero-Stack Angleset and 650B-Wheels and Iīm very pleased. No Traveladjust, no Gimmicks - just the great given Geometry and Top-Notch Suspension in both Front and Rear.
    Isnīt there already a 650B-Revelation available? Why not this Fork if you are happy with it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Did my first ride on my new V2 spitfire (M) which replaced my V1. Took all the parts over from my v1, but a 10mm shorter stem and a dropper post added. The v2 Pedals far better in terms of pedal kickback. Rear suspension feels plush and is a nobrainer, but the bike is much harder to manual/lift the front wheel over obstacles / roots. The bike feels lot less agile/playful than the v1 and for me after the first ride somehow leaves a little mixed feeling (ok, I also came back after a finger injury on that first ride with less power)... think I need to dial my settings further in...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    One thing to consider with BB height is how the suspension behaves under power. The Spitfire has more antisquat than the 575, and so will not move into it's travel as much under power which is when you are most likely to have pedal strikes. Another option if you are worried, is to run the bike in higher setting and use an angleset to keep the head angle slack.

If you can get a chance to test ride a spitfire and/or rune before you buy this will give you a better idea of what will work for you best.
    Thanks for all these replies. That's some valuable information. I'm going to get a spitfire/rune. But can't decide which one. I've test ridden a large Rune and XL is the way to go - might just get the spitfire in XL as test rides are hard to get in UK at the minute

many thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just use 650B wheels and you'll raise the BB at least 1/2" (or more) depending on tires. Or just the 650B wheel on the front (which will work in quite a few 26" forks) to slightly raise the BB and slack out the front at bit also.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    ... I personally have a BOS Deville 160 mm Travel (non-650B-specific, but with plenty Clearance), -0,5 Deg Zero-Stack Angleset and 650B-Wheels and Iīm very pleased ...
    ... and leads to a BB-Height of 345/346 mm with 2.25 HansDampf in this Set-Up. I still have the Option to go slacker/lower or steeper/higher. Very competitive compared to the latest 650B-specific Offernings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I'd personally opt for 150mm forks if running 650B to keep the stack lower.
    Thanks Keith, I thought that was the answer but wanted to double check.

Not sure what the best Forktravel is. Doesnīt this depend on personal Preference?
    X-Fusion Sweep, RockShox Pike or BOS Deville, all in 650B, could be great Choices when they are available.
    Isnīt there already a 650B-Revelation available? Why not this Fork if you are happy with it?
    Yes it is a preference thing, but I was interested to see what Keith had to say based on design criteria.
    Pike is my next choice after the Sweep, but it is more expensive. I am having a hard time justifying $1000 for a fork these days, that is ridiculous.
    There is a 650b Rev available, but I would like to try something different if I am buying a new fork. I like the idea of the slightly beefier stanctions of the Sweep or Pike.

mtbr member
    Anyone know whether there is much difference between the 26 and 27.5 142 dropouts other than allowing for more tires clearance. Is running a 27.5 in 26 dropouts sub-optimal geometry wise?

And equally how would 26" wheels work out in the 27.5" drops?

I ask because I will be running 26" now and then likely change to 27.5" next year and don't really want to have to pay for the extra drops if its just a question of tire clearance. I probably wouldn't run more than a 2.2-2.3 in the back. However if it plays around with the geometry adversely then thats a different matter.

Can anyone chime in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    Anyone know whether there is much difference between the 26 and 27.5 142 dropouts other than allowing for more tires clearance. Is running a 27.5 in 26 dropouts sub-optimal geometry wise?

I ask because I will be running 26" now and then likely change to 27.5" next year and don't really want to have to pay for the extra drops if its just a question of tire clearance. I probably wouldn't run more than a 2.2-2.3 in the back. However if it plays around with the geometry adversely then thats a different matter.

Can anyone chime in?
    Tire clearance is the main factor. If you are running a small tire and live somewhere that isn't muddy, then you can probably get away with a 650B wheel in the 26" dropouts. Unfortunately that isn't an option here in Scotland due to the thick mud we have.

The only real geometry factor was that the slightly longer chainstays of te 650B dropouts balance out the higher stack of the 650B front end and so help balance weight distribution and will especially help keep the front down on steep climbs.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post

Can anyone chime in?
    Yes, I can, although I have posted it several Times here ...

The only Difference between these Dropouts is 10 mm more Length for the 650B-Dropouts.
    - Regarding Geometry this means 10 mm longer Chainstays and a higher BB around 10 mm, depending on Tire-Choice, when going with 650B-Wheels. Plus no Angles affected when your Fork is a 650B specific or compatible. The whole Bike is just around 10 mm "higher" in general ...
    - Regarding Tire Clearance: Yep, you can easily run 2.25/2.3 650B-Tires with very good Clearance in the 26-Dropouts. With bigger Tires (2.35/2.4) and very muddy Conditions I would suggest buying the recommended 650B-Dropouts, as there will be Clearance-Issues with the 26-Dropouts.

mtbr member
    Thanks very much builttoride and NoStyle for the clarity. Apologies if I was covering old ground.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Youīre welcome

Well, I have purchased both 142x12 Dropouts to be sure - and to have more possible Adjustments.
    Allday-Rides maybe donīt require a big sticky 2.4 Highroller II (for Example), a 2.25 Nobby-Nic, Hans-Dampf or Onza Ibex FR can do well for this. For this I take the 26-Dropouts, regardless if dry or muddy and enjoy the shorter Stays, thanks to the great given Clearance Banshee has done within the Design. For the Park-Days a HR II is great, and a 10 mm longer Chainstay makes for a slightly (even) more stable Ride at high Speed than it already is. Plus keeps the Font more down on steep Climbs ...

As Keith has said: Tire-Clearance is the Key!
    If you are in the same Boat like me: Get both ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's my one:

2013 Spitfire-p7120070.jpg2013 Spitfire-p7120071.jpg2013 Spitfire-p7120072.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

The Mountain Bike Life
    Post is so sexy....how does it feel right off the bat?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Really good !
    Easy to install, nicely shaped trigger, infinite travel and easy actuation !!
    In a word : Thomson quality ! I definitely recommend it.

PS: Only picked it up yesterday so I can't talk about reliability yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    After two fun years on my Spitty V1, I decided to upgrade. Here's my V2, built it up yesterday - will get full pictures of finished build soon. Two rides into it, pretty impressed so far..

2013 Spitfire-spittyv2-1-kopia.jpg

2013 Spitfire-1069340_10151593767043387_300068785_n.jpg
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very nice build !
    In fact, it's pretty similar to mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone tried running 650B in the front and 26 in the rear?

Running a fork with 150mm travel should offset the bigger diameter of the wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Anyone tried running 650B in the front and 26 in the rear?

Running a fork with 150mm travel should offset the bigger diameter of the wheel.
    Why on earth would you want to do that?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LiteVille came up with the idea of "scaled sizing"... Flyer is in german

http://syntace.my1.cc/liteville/pdf/...zing_Flyer.pdf

Basically you can keep a shorter chainstay while getting the advantages of a bigger front wheel.

Dunno if that really makes sense, just wondering if someone has ever tried it

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

AW: 2013 Spitfire

Last weekend...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1374616630333.jpg  

mtbr member
    It was asked earlier in the thread, but I didn't see an answer. Will a 175mm 156 q factor XX1 crank work on the Spitfire or Rune?

BTW, thank you Banshee for a threaded bottom bracket. Both my carbon fiber Rocky Mtn Element and my alloy Devinci Atlas developed creaks after a few BB changes. At $50+ a pop, it became expensive also. Both are gone and the big question is Rune or Spitfire.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried running a Zee FR rd on Spitty V2? Are there any chainstay clearance issues with a 32t upfront?

Can anyone recommend a chainguide for running 32x11-36 with the Zee. I was looking at the MRP G3 mini but looks like there might be clearance issues.