Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 2504

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Brand new.
    CS lever was off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have you equalized the air pressure in both chambers after inflating ? (by compressing the shock slightly ). Looks like you haven't

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by superQ View Post
    Have you equalized the air pressure in both chambers after inflating ? (by compressing the shock slightly ). Looks like you haven't
    I've ridden it after inflating and reinflating a few times but to no avail.
    Is that what you meant?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    2013 Spitfire-dsc00421_zps9b0c7b77.jpg

Finally got the Pikes fitted.

100% keeper!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Spitfire loving the aussie outback

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The angry singlespeeder's latest rant on the enduro blue mentions that the ibis ripley blue hue is Pantone 801, which I find very similar to the latest banshee spitfire. Can anyone confirm this?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus View Post
    The angry singlespeeder's latest rant on the enduro blue mentions that the ibis ripley blue hue is Pantone 801, which I find very similar to the latest banshee spitfire. Can anyone confirm this?
    Huh, the who?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok so the final parts for my build turned up today so I need to get my rear shock set up so I can finally get out on the bike this weekend.

Now I get how to set the sag etc on the ccdb but I can't find anywhere which gives you recommended pressure settings for rider weight. I've downloaded their field tuning guide which tells you to initially put 50-75 psi in the shock before cycling it a couple of times to charge the negative air chamber but then tells u to then put the recommended pressure in to the shock which is what I can't seem to find anywhere.

Can anyone help?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Start with about body weight in psi (180lbs = 180psi) and measure the stroke. You want about 17mm of sag as measured on your shock.

mtbr member
    Banshee sag charts

http://bansheebikes.blogspot.co.uk/2...harts.html?m=1

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimateweevil View Post
    Ok so the final parts for my build turned up today so I need to get my rear shock set up so I can finally get out on the bike this weekend.

Now I get how to set the sag etc on the ccdb but I can't find anywhere which gives you recommended pressure settings for rider weight. I've downloaded their field tuning guide which tells you to initially put 50-75 psi in the shock before cycling it a couple of times to charge the negative air chamber but then tells u to then put the recommended pressure in to the shock which is what I can't seem to find anywhere.

Can anyone help?
    https://www.canecreek.com/products/s...-cs/base-tunes

CCDB suggest 15mm sag as base tunes.

mtbr member
    Yep, set up by sag not pressure. 15mm is a good place to start. I doubt you will need your body weight to get appropriate sag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by AssPav View Post
    No wonder it looks too slack and low: the shock is faulty
    It's 20mm too short.
    Just picked the shock up from my LBS after having to send it away for service.
    The main piston seal had been rolled from factory, preventing the chambers from equalizing.

2013 Spitfire-dsc06830-web.jpg

Gonna get her dirty tomorrow

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yes, looks like itīs ready to go now. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post

Spitfire loving the aussie outback
    Steeze, what weight is your spitfire? looks exactly the same set up as i will have, pikes X01 and CCDB. Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions about the sag settings, got it set to the 15mm as recommended by cc and banshees tune. Last question really is around the settings on the shock, does it come out already set or do I need to set it myself?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Mine came with the setting of the CC Tuning-Field-Guide. From there only LSC and LSR needed to be adjusted towards the Spitfire Base-Tune.

Donīt be afraid to check it out for yourself - itīs no rocket-science!

Same with the Sag - there is no ideal/recommended "air-pressure-setting"! Body-weigth varies, of course, so you have to adjust your personal pressure to the recommended Sag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So had a cracking day on the spitfire today, this was a demo bike from a bike shop reasonably local to me.

And what a day it was, the spitfire absolutely ripped. I handed it back and promptly put my order in

As i am coming from a very good bike anyway (Turner 5 spot) i was not expecting to like the spifire so much. But it climbed so well and descended like a beast.

2013 Spitfire-img_20140429_122924.jpg

Photos will follow eventually :-)

I will be using it on the Trans-Savoie this year which is a 6 day point to point race in the Alps. I think i have the perfect bike for it now..

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok, so 99% finished just have to pick up my seat post from the post office tomorrow and I'm planning on getting out on it on Thursday after work.

2013 Spitfire-2014-04-29-19.19.41.jpg

Let's just say I can't bloody wait

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok another question on the rear suspension, do I need a specific tool to adjust the knobs given I've got the CS model? The instruction manual on cane creeks website seems to show some tool but I suspect it's the non-CS model?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My bike came with the cane creek tool from memory it was a little allen key?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah, I didn't get one but it's a 3mm allen key that it needs, a bit of trial and error and I figured it out, ended up taking the shock off to adjust it as I couldn't get my key to fit due to it being a t-style. Now all set to go on Thursday, set to the banshee base tune.

It's gonna be like Xmas, I don't think I'll be able to sleep

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone have an actual frame weight on a medium? Also did the 14s actually go down in weight any?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So had my first ride tonight after work and the spitty is everything I hoped it would be.

I do need to put some more air in the rear shock as I was going through the travel too easily, however despite this it was nice and playful of the jumps. So a bit more experimentation will be needed I think.

My only issue was my chain exploded twice tonight, first time 50 yards from the car park, the second time 3/4 of the way up the last climb, so was the only downer of the night.

I do have a quick question though, the 34t I'm running up front felt a bit of a drag on the climbs, if I was to change it would I be better to go to 32t or 30t to make the climbs a bit easier without sacrificing the benefit of the 34t for the downs and would the 11-36t cassette still be ok if I did go as small as 30t up front?

mtbr member
    Unless you're spinning out a 34-11 combo, I think you'd be fine to give it a whirl.

Other option would be to get a Wolftooth 42t rear cog and keep the 34 up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just converted from 26" to 650b.
    Still using my 26" Fox 36, not much clearance left with a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 but it works. Also still using the 26" drop-outs because the Hutchinson Toro 2.35 is more like a 2.2 tire. Colorado front range is pretty dry so mud clearance is not that much of a priority.
    First impressions: Lost a gear going uphill, but bike seems to roll faster in general. Bike rides a bit higher but I don't mind fewer pedal strikes. This bike is now even more stable and faster on the way down than I'm capable. Good stuff.

2013 Spitfire-13898803649_cb6eca6c03_b.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dear lord cooldaddy, turn down the HDR or whatever you did to the photo, so we can see the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry looks ok when you click on it

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I too am running 650Bs in the 26" dropouts - loving it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    A few little updates:

2013 Spitfire-dsc00485_zps168f6ddf.jpg

Couldn't be happier with it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Am thinking of trying out a BOSs Kirk on mine. Does anyone here have any experience of them on the Spitty?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep ! I've been running the Kirk on mine for a good months now.

I previously had a DBair. And, overall, I feel the Kirk is "better".
    Why ?
    The most noticeable improvement over the DB is felt in downhill and/or rough sections. Better control and more predictable grip. So even if the DB was a great shock, the Kirk is one step ahead I feel thanks to it's conception. It basically feels like a coil shock (which the DB did not...), just like BOS's coil DH shock (the S**Toy).

Now, on uphills, the pedaling platform (which ...is technically not a pedaling platform ...but then ok it acts exactly like one) helps a lot. I haven't ridden the DB CS yet, so can't compare.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks superQ - exactly what I wanted to hear... or probably didn't want to hear, because my bank balance is screaming at me.

I just felt that when things get really rough, that the Deville starts "running away" from the shock. Where the fork speeds up, I felt the DBair hang up ever so slightly.

That, and I like having matching suspension

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    Thanks superQ - exactly what I wanted to hear... or probably didn't want to hear, because my bank balance is screaming at me.

I just felt that when things get really rough, that the Deville starts "running away" from the shock. Where the fork speeds up, I felt the DBair hang up ever so slightly.

That, and I like having matching suspension
    ccdb have always struggled with high oil flow hits. there are lots of threads discussing that, i have little doubt the kirk would be better overall, i just also have little funds in the bank to get one

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So after my first ride destroyed my chain, not sure if it didn't have enough links or was something else I fitted a new chain over the weekend added an extra link just to be on the safe side.

So out again tonight and same thing happened again with the chain although it did last until I was just about at the top of the first big climb when it burst apart. Pretty pissed about it as I just can't figure out what is going wrong.

I'm running a shimano slx that was 2x10 that I'm now running as a 1x10. Could the chain alignment be out and that's what the problem is? If it is how do I solve it, is it a new chainset specific to 1x10?

mtbr member
    So after my first ride destroyed my chain, not sure if it didn't have enough links or was something else I fitted a new chain over the weekend added an extra link just to be on the safe side.

So out again tonight and same thing happened again with the chain although it did last until I was just about at the top of the first big climb when it burst apart. Pretty pissed about it as I just can't figure out what is going wrong.

I'm running a shimano slx that was 2x10 that I'm now running as a 1x10. Could the chain alignment be out and that's what the problem is? If it is how do I solve it, is it a new chainset specific to 1x10?
    i had that issue with the v1 rune and spitfire. what brand of chain? i switched to kmc and added a link and didn't have the issue again. i think the issue was bigger on the v1 because it had more anti squat and i snapped my in the granny ring cranking a steep chute under power. double check your chain length and don't run a sram chain, that was the brand i used when they snapped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    First one was a shimano and second was a SRAM. Will probably go KMC this time but think I may stick it in to the LBS that way if it happens again I can at least get them to cover the replacement cost of the chain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2013 Spitfire-13947387279_b8454a1f38_b.jpg

Mr. Knowitall
    Remove the lower shock bolt and cycle through the travel to find the most chain growth. I did that when I replaced my XX1 chain, and I actually needed to shorten the chain a bit after that, as the excess chain was not caught by the RD...

FM
    mtbr member
    So after my first ride destroyed my chain, .....
    So out again tonight and same thing happened again
    A buddy if mine kept blowing up a brand new chain this way. Turns out he had soaked the new chain in WD40 to remove the OE chain oil, and that supposedly causes hydrogen embrittlement!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    New addition to my spitfire- KS LEV 150 for additional inch of seat drop. 2013 Spitfire-dsc_0047.jpg
    + some action shots, since i love riding this bike so much
    2013 Spitfire-6430_434464296698692_1907757844_n.jpg

2013 Spitfire-10168204_434115440066911_620549698_n.jpg

2013 Spitfire-1533857_1403369136607886_3262848014423044778_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinserk View Post
    New addition to my spitfire- KS LEV 150 for additional inch of seat drop. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0047.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	891777
    + some action shots, since i love riding this bike so much

nice shots

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

Just a static picture before 800 meters negative elevation

Envoyé de mon iPhone ā l'aide de Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Playing amongst the bluebells...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My first full suspension bike and loving every bit of it.

2013 Spitfire-p0pb10933895.jpg

2013 Spitfire-p0pb10933896.jpg

2013 Spitfire-p0pb10933897.jpg

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Spitfire

Action shot of me doing a spot of duel slalom

And how my spitty currently looks, love this bike its so versatile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dklopp View Post
    Alright guys, you might be happy to hear that I got off the phone earlier with the LBS to order up the Spitfire frame and look at build options. The only (slight) issue is that the Large Raw 650b frame wont be available until late May...I honestly have no problem waiting because I think this will be a great bike, but sooner would always be appreciated .

In all seriousness, I am beyond excited to get my first full custom build going. I'm thinking this will be a great bike for me, as I tend to prefer the feel of shorter travel bikes (should have never sold that Transition BottleRocket...).
    dklopp, have your Spitfire yet? I absolutely loved the bottlerocket I had. Nothing else has come close to how much fun I had on it, and this has me leaning even more towards a spitfire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    dklopp, have your Spitfire yet? I absolutely loved the bottlerocket I had. Nothing else has come close to how much fun I had on it, and this has me leaning even more towards a spitfire.
    Not yet. I can't wait to get on it though! I will report back with pictures & initial comparison as soon as I get it.

mtbr member
    Sweet. Please do! Build plans finalized?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Sweet. Please do! Build plans finalized?
    Banshee Spitfire 650b, CCDB Air, large, raw
    RS Pike RCT3 27.5, 160mm
    Stans Flow EX 650b wheelset
    Shimano SLX brakes (180mm rotors) & drivetrain
    Raceface Turbine crank/bb with n/w chainring
    MRP AMG guide
    KS LEV DX
    Chromag Bar, Stem, Seat, Pedals
    Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller 2 combo

I think that should be a pretty solid build. This will be my only bike, so it's going to do it all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Updated with dropper post

2013 Spitfire-img_0437i.jpg

mtbr member
    That will be a solid build indeed. Very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Question for Keith, or anyone else.

Since i have bought Spitfire I have such a great time on this bike, that i've started wondering if i should ditch my Demo, which i only use on my ocasional bikepark visits. The ride on Spitfire is so much more fun to me then on Demo. I only worry, about spity durability. The trails i ride with spitfire are mostly more gnarly, with more roots and rocks then i can find in bikepark, therefor if i count out rockgardens and realy big jumps/drops in park it seams that trails out of park are more demanding than park itself. I am not a pro level rider, but I'm not the slowest either. So I need an advise. Should i ditch Demo and use spitfire in parks, will it hold up to the chalenge? Or should i keep a park bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437i.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	893144[/QUOTE]

Nice shot

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Question for Keith, or anyone else.

Since i have bought Spitfire I have such a great time on this bike, that i've started wondering if i should ditch my Demo, which i only use on my ocasional bikepark visits. The ride on Spitfire is so much more fun to me then on Demo. I only worry, about spity durability. The trails i ride with spitfire are mostly more gnarly, with more roots and rocks then i can find in bikepark, therefor if i count out rockgardens and realy big jumps/drops in park it seams that trails out of park are more demanding than park itself. I am not a pro level rider, but I'm not the slowest either. So I need an advise. Should i ditch Demo and use spitfire in parks, will it hold up to the chalenge? Or should i keep a park bike?
    Get a darkside

Ok in all seriousness, while bike park riding on a big bike may seem smoother, you have to remember that a big bike absorbs more of any impact, and you tend to be traveling at high speed (High speed = high impact force generally speeding). If you keep it smooth then thats all cool and you could ride it on a hardtail (trust me I rode whistler for a week on a hardtail with 80mm forks back in the day), but the big bike is there for when things don't go quite to plan when a big case or overshoot happens, or you charge into a rough section at mach 3 (or braking bumps, which can be BRUTAL). If this never happens then a smaller bike could probably handle things, but how many people can really say it NEVER happens.

Plus you need to consider the mentality of riding a bike park. Do you want to be at all concerned about the bike you are riding handling what you are about to throw at it (both in terms of control and strength), or do you want to have complete confidence to charge as hard as you can.

Personally I don't recommend the spitfire as a park bike unless you are super smooth and don't ride super gnar on it by riding well within your ability. Big bikes still have their place no matter how capable your small bike might feel if you charge hard.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yep, get a Darkside for park-riding and sell the Demo. Or maybe a Rune as the one-bike, and sell both Spitfire and Demo?

Here in Germany there too can be a big difference in so called "park-riding", simply because some parks have more mellow trails than you can find in some local spots, but do have a lot more jumps to ride, whereas local spots can have nasty and technical rocky and rooty trails. I donīt ride parks that often, so the Spitfire does damn well almost everywere in natural terrain and I donīt need another Bike for different purpose. So if you want to keep two bikes, and budget is available, a Darkside would be a great compliment to the Spitfire. If you want one bike only a Rune could be more capable and durable for occasional park-trips and the gnarly terrain at your area.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have both the Spitfire and a Demo.
    I'm certainly keeping the demo, it will just be used less than before.

If budget allows, do the same. If budget doesn't allow, keep the spitfire and get an extra wheelset for "Park" duties (i.e: it's got wider rims on, with Supergravity / or Dual ply tyres on front and back)

mtbr member
    May 2013

2013 Spitfire

I'm thinking of putting down a deposit on a Spitty frame, but I would like to know the 2015 colours/changes.
    Has anyone heard any rumours on the 2015 specs? When do Banshee usually release the following years model?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's only May 2014 man!
    Get a Spitty while you can.

On a side note: I hate when big manufacturers like Specialized brings out a "next year's model" model, mid way through the prior year... but just with a different paint job.

mtbr member
    May 2013

2013 Spitfire

It's only May, get a Spitty while you can.
    Thought I read somewhere next years frames were released in August.

I'm in Oz, so by the time a frame is ordered, clears customs and delivered it could well be August!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Using your example, if you were to pre-order your 2015 model, you'll get it in 2016
    Sponsor me for a working Visa in Aus, and I'll bring you one from the UK myself, hell I'll bring you two !

mtbr member
    May 2013

2013 Spitfire

Using your example, if you were to pre-order your 2015 model, you'll get it in 2016
    Sponsor me for a working Visa in Aus, and I'll bring you one from the UK myself!
    Hahaha... It took me long enough to get my visa..... I'm from Ireland...

Think I'll just order a Raw frame with CCDB CS and be done with it......

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's the spirit!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @builttoride, NoStyle. Yeah it would be nice to have a Darkside. Im sure it's a superb bike, just like Spity. But i'll probably have to keep this demo, just for this season at least and maybe look into darkside for next year. And wouldn't want to trade Spitfire for Rune, because Spitfire is realy great for allday rides and it doesn't hold me back on descents at all. Realy a great bike!

Well, thanks for your thoughts.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    @kinserk: Well, than go the route supercow suggested - keep the Demo for this year and check whatīs possible to replace the Demo for something different next season. If the part-spec is fine than it will mainly be a frame-replacement ... ?

In case of a two-bike-stable the Spitfire makes a lot of sense to keep, as you already have a parkworthy bike. So time for you to ride the Demo more often when the park calls! At least I would do it this way ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Often when people ask me what bike to get (rune or spitfire?) my answer is: If you have a DH specific bike, get a spitfire, if you want one bike to do everything, get a rune. I love my spitfire and ride it most of the time, but I also really enjoy having my darkside for those big bike days and DH focused holidays.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Often when people ask me what bike to get (rune or spitfire?) my answer is: If you have a DH specific bike, get a spitfire, if you want one bike to do everything, get a rune. I love my spitfire and ride it most of the time, but I also really enjoy having my darkside for those big bike days and DH focused holidays.
    I should ask this question in the Darkside thread, but it fits to this discussion.

I am a very happy Rune user and think about buying a Darkside for the Park-Days. Do you think the Darkside is too similar to the Rune or does it make sense to buy one beside the Rune?

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wouldn't want to trade Spitfire for Rune, because Spitfire is really great for all day rides and it doesn't hold me back on descents at all.
    I personally found the Spitfire to be a more capable bike on the descents than the Rune anyway when I rode both back-to-back.
    I would take a roomier cockpit, over additional travel for descending any day.

This is obviously a HIGHLY personal thing but I dislike the sizing of the higher travel bikes in the Banshee range.
    For some reason it feel that the higher the travel the Banshee bike, the smaller the bike gets. Some people prefer compact cockpits, but I don't.

At 5.8" (177CM)
    I've tried out a Medium Spitfire, Medium Rune, Medium Legend.

The spitfire is pretty much perfect in terms of reach, the Rune felt too small, and the Legend felt like a midget's bike - all of which running 50mm stems. I should note that when I rode them, I did so before looking at the difference in geo numbers online, so it was not a placebo effect

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yes, I was hardly torn which one to choose: Rune or Spitfire for a one-bike-solution. I think this truly depends on what you mostly ride all the time. And the given area you ride the most. In my case 80-90% "Trailriding" in natural and very mixed terrain, with a 50/50 uphill-downhill purpose. For this the Spitfire wins and Iīm happy with my decision. A bit more frequent park-riding, plus riding in more high alpine locations I had choosen the Rune anyday.

For a two-bike-stable a long- and a short-travel-bike makes much sense. In case of Banshee: Spitfire + Darkside or Legend. Rune and Darkside makes sense too. But I would try to lighten up the Rune in this case. 160 mm fork, lighter wheels and such ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Yes, I was hardly torn which one to choose: Rune or Spitfire for a one-bike-solution. I think this truly depends on what you mostly ride all the time. And the given area you ride the most. In my case 80-90% "Trailriding" in natural and very mixed terrain, with a 50/50 uphill-downhill purpose. For this the Spitfire wins and Iīm happy with my decision. A bit more frequent park-riding, plus riding in more high alpine locations I had choosen the Rune anyday.

For a two-bike-stable a long- and a short-travel-bike makes much sense. In case of Banshee: Spitfire + Darkside or Legend. Rune and Darkside makes sense too. But I would try to lighten up the Rune in this case. 160 mm fork, lighter wheels and such ...
    I'm in the same boat. I went with a Spitfire because my DH skills & confidence on gaps and jumps is limited and I don't see that change; even after a couple of seasons at Trestle/Winter Park. I consider myself an excellent trail rider and my Spitfire with a Fox 36 on 650b is already such a stable trail bike that a Rune would be overkill. And most of my riding takes place between 7000 and 12000ft, I have to ride up to go down. I sometimes wish I had opted for the Rune but honestly my Spitfire is already way more bike than the operator can handle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I went with a Spitfire because my DH skills & confidence on gaps and jumps is limited and I don't see that change; even after a couple of seasons at Trestle/Winter Park. I consider myself an excellent trail rider and my Spitfire with a Fox 36 on 650b is already such a stable trail bike that a Rune would be overkill. And most of my riding takes place between 7000 and 12000ft, I have to ride up to go down. I sometimes wish I had opted for the Rune but honestly my Spitfire is already way more bike than the operator can handle.
    good to see some rational thought. most people are over biked if they are honest with themselves. i got rid of my chilcotin and went with a spitfire as i don't have the time to travel as much as i used to and the spitfire is more than capable enough for everything i ride locally. my chromag hardtail was really, it just beats you up as you get older and i appreciate some cush now more than i used to. just swapping in a new set of bearings in the spitfire and then getting it out again. very happy with the v2 over v1

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckse View Post
    I should ask this question in the Darkside thread, but it fits to this discussion.

I am a very happy Rune user and think about buying a Darkside for the Park-Days. Do you think the Darkside is too similar to the Rune or does it make sense to buy one beside the Rune?

Cheers
    The Darkside is definitely very different feeling to the rune, the linkage not only has more travel, but works in a completely different way which is focused on DH. Also the frame is a lot stiffer, geometry is significantly different, is tripple clamp compatible etc etc... can be built to be very different indeed.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Darkside is definitely very different feeling to the rune, the linkage not only has more travel, but works in a completely different way which is focused on DH. Also the frame is a lot stiffer, geometry is significantly different, is tripple clamp compatible etc etc... can be built to be very different indeed.
    Thanks a lot! There still remains the question SC or DC Fork.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    good to see some rational thought. most people are over biked if they are honest with themselves. i got rid of my chilcotin and went with a spitfire as i don't have the time to travel as much as i used to and the spitfire is more than capable enough for everything i ride locally ...
    Thatīs it exactly: Overbiked!
    I started "downsizing" in 2008 with the Wildcard (14/16 cm fork and mostly 13 cm rear) and was able to ride almost everything, while improving my riding-skills, during five great seasons much more than on any other big-travel-bike before. This attracted me immediately to the Spitfire on itīs first release back in 2010. Now I still have closely the same package, but with a more uphill- and pedalfriendly Suspension, as my riding changed much during the last years towards generally Trailriding. Thatīs what my local area offers for a great day on the bike in the woods. And thatīs why the Spitfire is the "better" tool for me, as the Rune would be "too much" bike ...

Quote Originally Posted by ruckse View Post
    Thanks a lot! There still remains the question SC or DC Fork.
    Doesnīt this too depends on how you like the bike to "feel"? When I remember back my days in the parks:
    If I want a more playful and lightish big-bike for the park I would go with a 18 cm singlecrown. When mostly riding the gnarliest downhills a doublecrown fork offers a bit more and stiffer travel I believe ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hello, I'm new here. I love all the Banshee talk and photos. Here' mine.

Depending on my setup (still dialing it in) these are its specs:

2013 Banshee Spitfire medium 650b with 650b dropouts
    Fox suspension 32float140/ctd
    Industry Nine Torch Trail 27.5 24h wheel set
    Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.3
    RaceFace Sixc 31.8 Handlebar
    RaceFace Turbine 60mm stem/Straitline SSc 35mm stem
    Shimano XTR M985 Race brakes w/ 160mm f/r ice tech
    RaceFace Next SL 170mm cranks
    RaceFace 32t or 34t NarrowWide chainrings setup 1x10
    Shimano Saint M820 rear derraileur
    Shimano XTR M980 shifter
    Shimano XTR chain
    Shimano XT 11-34 cassette
    CrankBros. Mallet DH pedals
    KS LEV 125 dropper post with Crank Bros. remote
    SDG Falcon Ti saddle
    SDG i-beam seatpost
    SDG Belair i-beam saddleODI Ruffian Grips
    CaneCreek 40 headset
    MRP G3 mini chainguide
    Bionicon C-Guide

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Lovely bike and scenery mate everyone knows reds the fastest;D

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, mate. Cheers.

Typed from my computer

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Looking to move from 1x10 to 2x10 as I've got some long days out planned in summer.

Can anyone confirm if this front mech is correct? SRAM X0 2x10sp Low Direct Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Even better if anyone can say if it will work with an XT m780 shifter.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    In this thread on 05-20-2013, Saruti posted of the 2014 banshee frames with the new colors. Will something similar happen this week for the 2015 model?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bluearsedfly View Post
    Looking to move from 1x10 to 2x10 as I've got some long days out planned in summer.

Can anyone confirm if this front mech is correct? SRAM X0 2x10sp Low Direct Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks!
    I think it is the S3 version. I use mine (X7) with a XT front shifter and it works well.

Hard funkinī Kraut

Thanks!
    Iīm running oldskool 2x9, 22/36 with 11-34 Cassette, all Shimano XT, with SRAM X0 FD.

This one
    Works pretty fine, even with the XT 3x9 FD-Shifter.

You have to check for LowDirectMount-Standard S3 and your Chainring-Combo, as there are several for different Chainring-Setups!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any chance future versions can get the chainstay length shorter for the 650b version? Or does the KS Link not allow enough clearance?

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with the length now, but short stays like the Process and Balance have are pretty sweet too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    Any chance future versions can get the chainstay length shorter for the 650b version? Or does the KS Link not allow enough clearance?

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with the length now, but short stays like the Process and Balance have are pretty sweet too.
    Have you actually ever ridden a Spitfire? I can't see why you would want the beautiful handling spitfire to be more like the squirly process?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    N, I have not ridden the Spitfire. There are no Banshee dealers around here. But the bike looks great and I'm in the market for a new bike, so I'm on hear reading to find out more about it. My last bike (Nickel conversion) had short chain stays and I really liked it.

The Process is also on my final list, along with a SB75 and possibly the Canfield Balance. Tell me why you don't like the Process or any of these others. I'm here to learn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I own a Spitfire and out of the bikes you have listed I have only ridden the Process. I haven't spent a massive amount of time on a Process but the 3 hour loop I did on it had mixed degrees of difficulty. On the flats the Process was efficient enough and pedaled well up hills like a little mountain goat which I thoroughly enjoyed, my love of this bike wore off when I was coming down the trails with speed which made the bike feel like it didn't want me on it and was trying to kick me off. This could be due to the lesser specced suspension vs the Rockshox Pike/CCDB Air I have on the spitfire though.

Overall I think the Spitfire pedaled better, climbed better and descended better which made the choice of a spitfire extremely easy. I read somewhere that the spitfire was described like "A downhillers trail bike" it honestly couldn't be described any better because it is exactly how it feels. Keith hit this design out of the park and I couldn't think of anything that would make it better for me and that includes carbon.

You will not regret purchasing a banshee.

mtbr member
    N, I have not ridden the Spitfire. There are no Banshee dealers around here. But the bike looks great and I'm in the market for a new bike, so I'm on hear reading to find out more about it. My last bike (Nickel conversion) had short chain stays and I really liked it.

The Process is also on my final list, along with a SB75 and possibly the Canfield Balance. Tell me why you don't like the Process or any of these others. I'm here to learn.

chain stay length is but one component of s design. there are bikes out there with short chainstays that ride great and there are ones that ride like a55. the general consensus on the spitfire is it is a great trailbike that can handle some abuse. it isn't a park bike but can handle it if you are smooth.

every design has compromises, there is no perfect bike, at least not for everyone. try to get a demo on whatever bikes you are looking at. asking around will get you people's opinions on what "they" like which could be the complete opposite of what you like.

banshee makes some nice bikes and the designer takes part in these forums. their warranty is decent and they seem to care. small guy vs big guy like a trek or specialized.

i love my spitfire but my buddies love their bikes. the best you know is the best you've ridden. but imo the spitfire is a great bike for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the ride impressions. The shops around me only carry big names, i.e. Specialized, Trek, etc. I have to go on these forums to find out about smaller more specialty brands. The Spitfire seems perfect for what I like in a bike (on paper). At first I thought there was no way I could get one (too expensive), but I found a place that builds them with less expensive components.

Has anyone ridden one with an X-fusion shock on the frame? How is it?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ride impressions. The shops around me only carry big names, i.e. Specialized, Trek, etc. I have to go on these forums to find out about smaller more specialty brands. The Spitfire seems perfect for what I like in a bike (on paper). At first I thought there was no way I could get one (too expensive), but I found a place that builds them with less expensive components.

Has anyone ridden one with an X-fusion shock on the frame? How is it?
    x-fusion is superior to fox and rock shox imho. just dont have the oe market. you will have no issues running xfusion

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopism View Post
    I think it is the S3 version. I use mine (X7) with a XT front shifter and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Iīm running oldskool 2x9, 22/36 with 11-34 Cassette, all Shimano XT, with SRAM X0 FD.

This one
    Works pretty fine, even with the XT 3x9 FD-Shifter.

You have to check for LowDirectMount-Standard S3 and your Chainring-Combo, as there are several for different Chainring-Setups!
    Cheers guys!

Will be a 36t S3 as I'm running 36/24. Did order a shimano XT E2 but realised it would only take a 38t when it landed.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Did order a shimano XT E2 but realised it would only take a 38t when it landed.
    For what it's worth, my XT E2 Double front mech works great with my 22/36 rings.
    Just have to trim down my E13 Turbocharger a fraction to stop the rubbing on the cage.

SRAM front mechs are far inferior to Shimano offerings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AssPav View Post
    For what it's worth, my XT E2 Double front mech works great with my 22/36 rings.
    Just have to trim down my E13 Turbocharger a fraction to stop the rubbing on the cage.

SRAM front mechs are far inferior to Shimano offerings.
    Is yours the M785 E2 front mech by any chance? It mentioned 38t on the receipt so presumed 36t would be too small.

Mines in the box ready to go back but if it will work I would rather go with the shimano.

Will be running 11/36 cassette with 24/36 upfront.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I used the 36t sram x7 s3 front mech with a 24/36 slx chainset it was a really good fit and worked great . Now im running 1x10 though so the mech is redunant in a drawer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is yours the M785 E2 front mech by any chance? It mentioned 38t on the receipt so presumed 36t would be too small.

Mines in the box ready to go back but if it will work I would rather go with the shimano.

Will be running 11/36 cassette with 24/36 upfront.

Thanks.
    Yup that's the one.
    This exact one
    I never noticed the minimum chainring size but have asked on another forum on running the mech with 22/36 with positive replies before purchase.

You have to just run it right up the top of its adjustment if you have to clear a bashguard.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey,

Need some help/ advice.

Today i've noticed my spitfire has some play and when I took a closer look i've located this play at the CCDB cs rear eyelet. I've took it apart and i noticed some black pilings which seems to came of the inside of eyelet. Now i don't know is eyelet the problem or bushings? When i asemble the shock back on the frame, there is this vigely right to left play at the rear eyelet. It seams theres zero tolerance between frame bushings and eyelet, but theres still play. If i fixate the shock at the rear I get aprox 4mm of play from left to right at the front of the shock. Frame+ shock are still in warranty, bought it this spring. What should i do? Talk to canecreek, banshee, or the shop where i've bought the frame+ shock?

2013 Spitfire-dsc_0080.jpg

not much visible wear on bushing
    2013 Spitfire-dsc_0089.jpg
    u can see wear inside the eyelet
    2013 Spitfire-dsc_0090.jpg
    Last edited by kinserk; 05-19-2014 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    replace the bushing, it isn't a warranty item and see if the play disappears. cane creek use their own bushings, not just a standard 1/2" bushing like fox and rockshox do so ypu'll have to source some. or go the enduro needle bearing instead and get something a little better than stock.

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You mean that i should replace that golden spoted thing inside eyelet with some better one? But i probably need some tool for that to?

mtbr member
    FYI, RWC bearings will not fit a Cane Creek, the eyelet is too small. I ruined two needle bearings and an install tool learning this the hard way.

I don't know if they offer a Cane Creek specific set or not, but it isn't a universal fit for the same reasons the DU bushings aren't.

FM
    mtbr member
    With how little rotation the shock bushings see on KS link bikes, I don't think needle bearings would help much.

Kinserk, the gold spotted thing is a self-lubricating bronze oillite bushing. Yes you would need a tool like this to remove/replace, or any good shop should be able to do it for you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok, i'll have it replaced then when i find a dealer of spare parts. But is it normal for it to wear in such short time? I mean i've riden it for 3 months only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    FYI, RWC bearings will not fit a Cane Creek, the eyelet is too small. I ruined two needle bearings and an install tool learning this the hard way.

I don't know if they offer a Cane Creek specific set or not, but it isn't a universal fit for the same reasons the DU bushings aren't.
    forgot about that. the rwc kits fit standard 1/2" eyelets only. doh