Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Spitfire

510K views 3K replies 288 participants last post by  RS VR6 
#1 ·
What do we know so far?

Does it have bearings?
Adjustable geometry? Looks like there could be adjustable geo built into the dropouts.
Geo specs?

27.5" compatible dropouts as option

"Banshee Bikes 2013" by fakawi

#566 ·
Tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle Bicycle accessory

Got the build all finished up. Enve 650b wheels and XX1 all mounted up. Went back to the Fox CTD for now for local trail riding, still using the CCDB Air for big mountain and park days.

Finished weight it 29lb 12oz. The Enve's really aren't that light for being carbon honestly. They weigh the same as my DT Swiss 650B wheels do, but stiffer.

Rides great, XX1 is insanely quiet and very very smooth, I am very impressed.

#568 ·
View attachment 774386

Got the build all finished up. Enve 650b wheels and XX1 all mounted up. Went back to the Fox CTD for now for local trail riding, still using the CCDB Air for big mountain and park days.

Finished weight it 29lb 12oz. The Enve's really aren't that light for being carbon honestly. They weigh the same as my DT Swiss 650B wheels do, but stiffer.

Rides great, XX1 is insanely quiet and very very smooth, I am very impressed.
Looking good for sure! So you're not running the XX1 crank but just the remainder of the drive train I see. I'm kind of surprised that you only lost 2oz of weight (went back and checked your previous setup weight @ 29lbs 14oz) between the XX1 stuff, Enve rims, and substituting back the Fox CTD shock. I would have thought more but heck it's still under 30lbs so that's a nice weight indeed IMO.

Looking at these builds and frames is really killing me since I don't have one ordered yet. I need to sell my Jamis Dakar 650 (with barley 250 miles on it) and/or the Cannondale Prophet to free up some funds to get the frame ordered but I just might have to figure out another option so I don't end up waiting on a frame and bike-less once the snow melts here (another 6-12" predicted for this weekend). I actually have the entire XX1 drivetrain ready and waiting except for the Hadley free hub body which should be ready any day now. My local Jamis dealer takes VERY good care of me on parts and accessories so I ordered the XX1 thinking the thing wouldn't be available until March since it was back ordered from QBP and the freaking thing showed up almost immediately much to my credit cards displeasure. I need a frame bad so I can start building and stop getting a big chubby looking at the pics on here.

#567 ·
Ahhhh Dlongb13, I really really love your Spitfire so much - amazing Bike! :thumbsup:
Please let us know how you like the 650B-Wheels. Do you have the Possibility to switch and compare to 26?
Somehow my Build-Up is taking the longest Time ever because of missing Availability of Parts. Would gladly have the ordered Tires to get mine with 650Bs too ...

Anyways, enjoy yours! :)

#569 ·
Finally built up my raw (warranty upgrade) spitfire. Came it at 28lbs 9 oz. I can see it being sub-28. with the right build. 26" of course. Plus, I think the raw finish alone was something close to 300 grams per a previous post.
It doesn't feel too heavy when picking it up. My 142x12 went off without a hitch as did the derailleur set-up. 142x12 dropout reliefs, or lack thereof, don't seem to be a big deal. As long as it's 142x12 with a thru-axle is all that matters to me.
I would say the whole replaceable dropout flip chips are a bit excessive and put at least an extra pound on the bike. IMO, the spitfire should just have standard 142x12mm dropouts (meaning no flip chips, no geometry adjustment) on the frame keeping the frame light and stiff. Exactly what a trail bike should be. The spitfire was the lightest in its category when it first came out and now it's the heaviest. To each his own, though. I'll still ride it like I stole it.
Looking forward to seeing how this bike compares to the V1. It just snowed again so it may be a few days before I can take it out. There is noticeable difference from just sitting on the bike. You can definitely feel the geometry change, i.e. more forward position and slacker head angle. The rear feels much stiffer, too. All my parts from my previous V1 were swapped over so it should make a good comparison. (Looking forward to this as I loved the V1, but not all the flex in the rear from pivot issues.)

#587 ·
I'm loving it so much fun to ride, felt good up there yesterday and for places like glentress it absoluty kills it. I was thinking about the rune but I've got a dh bike and thought there would be to much overlap. The rune will destroy cambu, i was up there today on dh bike and riding the same trails as yesterday and its definetly a lot easier and faster on dh bike but the spitfire still holds its own. Did you order the cane creek or fox? I went cane creek and its amazing the level of grip is unbelievable, I messed about with the base settings and have found what I like it climbs surprisingly well considering there is no pro pedal. Then once you point it down it just flies even on flattish xc trails its still performs well.
When you expecting your rune are you local to cambu? If you want a shot of spitfire let me know when your next going up.

#588 ·
This is good to hear! I sold my DH bike last year as i wasn't racing and it was just not getting the use...kinda wish i hadn't let it go but there you go! Was really struggling between the Spitfire and the Rune but have been told that if you don't have a DH bike you should go for the Rune, so i did! Ordered it with the Cane Creek so looking fwd to seeing how a proper shock handles! Have been told my frame is due on the 19th but i'm away boarding in the alps that week so it'll be the 30/31st i'm next up probably. Will give you a shout!

#592 ·
Hmmm ... I have a Thomson Seatpost and it fits pretty fine, rather tight, with no Play. The Banshee-Post has almost the same Tightness, too. I have heard from others running hydraulic-Seatposts having a minimum Play. They solved that "Problem" with a small Tape-Stripe ...
In my Opinion - as long as you don´t need to hughly tighten the QR or Bold everything is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.