Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 1786

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

  1. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Here's the build list from the red bike. Do some digging and you can figure out some weights. Frame is around 7.5lbs but by a scale I don't know.

    The weight is great, so are the Parts. Here´s an Overview the owner gave me:

    Rear Derailleur, Triggers, Brakes, Chain and Cassette: Shimano XTR
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Fork Fox 32 Float RLC
    Wheelset: DT 240 mit XM450TL Felgen und Messerspeichen
    Handlebars: Syntace Vector Carbon 740mm
    Stem: Syntace F109 60mm
    Headset: Pivot
    Handles: Pivot
    Seatpost: P6 carbon hiflex
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal
    Tubes: Kenda

    The owner of the red Spitfire stated around 3,4 kg Frameweight with Shock, Dropouts and Seatclamp.
    Isn't the owner of the red bike a banshee dealer/distributer. Take it for what its worth.

  2. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cave dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    363

    Get the facts correct......

    Wow, some awesome non fact checking going on here

    The old Spitfire weight of 5,86lb's is without the shock.

    In this thread a 2010 (large) painted spitfire was measured as 7lbs 2oz including shock and hardware and 7oz in ano with shock. Spitfire Frame Weight.

    Dont forget the new frame has
    > 20mm more travel
    > Bearings (as opposed to plastic bushings)
    > 142mm x 12mm axle (as opposed to QR) - just the axle probably adds 100grams

    Finally, the clear coated raw frames are approx 150-200 grams heavier than the ano version and 50 grams heavier than the painted version (raw is the heaviest).

    The new spitfire in raw with bearing hardware, shock, axle kit at 8lbs seems about right.

  3. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    663
    Thanks cave dweller for being reasonable.

    People who are *****ing about weight:

    - Compare apples to apples. You'll see it's a little heavier but not nearly as much as you're thinking. I bet it's less than one pound heavier for the frame itself, which is TOTALLY reasonable given the bearings and extra travel.

    - Stop making numbers the top priority if you plan to actually ride your bike. A slightly heavier, but stiffer and better built bike will be FASTER in most situations, last longer, be safer, etc etc. I agree that Banshee probably put a little more focus on durability over weight to save face and get the company image back on track, but if you want to drop a few hundred grams do it in your wheelset or something.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

  4. #354
    Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    700
    @ LostBoyScout: There you go

    Well, I don´t have much Interest in Frameweigth or Weigth at all and I wanted to avoid spending extra Cash for a damn Scale, but I think it´s time to buy one and give some proper numbers

  5. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Perhaps some could care less but IMO it's not unreasonable at all to want to know the weight of a newly re-designed frame. Go into any forum and it's one of the first things people question. I'm not complaining, just interested.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  6. #356
    Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    700
    @ skidad.
    I know you are not complaining at all!
    The curious thing is that most People in Forums ask for Weight first, instead of asking how it rides ... which should be way more important ...
    Well, I´m doing my best to get you some Numbers.

    Many Greetings
    NoStyle

  7. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Perhaps some could care less but IMO it's not unreasonable at all to want to know the weight of a newly re-designed frame. Go into any forum and it's one of the first things people question. I'm not complaining, just interested.
    I agree that Banshee could have and should have got the approx weight out ASAP (a decent approximation could be made from the solid model but it's difficult to estimate the weight of the welds) and I agree weight is a factor.

    But because it's a black and white number as opposed to the subjective ride quality, folks online can tend to care far too much about weight. Which mtbr's are terrible for (not you specifically)

    I just looked up the Transition Bandit, which I consider to be a direct competitor, and it's 6.93lbs with shock published weight. The axle and bits attached to the Spitfire could be over 0.25 lbs themselves. So it's a little heavier, but it's also slacker and takes a bigger fork.

    The new Spitfire is a XC rider's bike, not a XC racer's bike.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

  8. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    183
    I thought the raw color would actually be slightly lighter than the painted models. I guess the gloss paint is pretty heavy, eh?

  9. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,854
    The raw is the heaviest (slightly) due to 2 clearcoat layers... but you'd never notice the difference. Weight is mainly in the mind. If you want to ride faster, further, higher, longer and harder, then ride more. If you want to save weight, then go to the toilet before you ride.

    Its combined weight of bike and rider that matters for long days in the saddle, so 1kg weight difference is only 1% (roughly) weight difference (based on bike and kitted up rider weighing 100kg), but our frames more than make up for this with frame stiffness and pedal efficiency. These attributed will mean you can accelerate harder and hold your line better while loosing less energy to flex and wallowing suspension.

    I design our bikes to be ridden, and ridden hard, because that is what we know the vast majority of banshee customer want... don't listen to the marketeers from the big brands who switch to carbon to mainly increase their profit margins, and start counting grams too much. If you want to do that, and spend more time polishing your bike than riding it, then maybe you should start shaving your legs and buy a 'show bike'

    If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking, and what I've said here will make sense to you.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  10. #360
    G_g
    G_g is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    Keith Scott: "I design our bikes to be ridden, and ridden hard, because that is what we know the vast majority of banshee customer want... don't listen to the marketeers from the big brands who switch to carbon to mainly increase their profit margins, and start counting grams too much. If you want to do that, and spend more time polishing your bike than riding it, then maybe you should start shaving your legs and buy a 'show bike'

    If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking, and what I've said here will make sense to you."
    That, sir, shall be my new signature.

  11. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    265
    Light wheels you can feel while riding. Light frames you can feel when you lift the bike onto the roof rack.

    I know which I care more about.

  12. #362
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    864
    Once I get my new frame, I throw it on the scale and get a pic before building it up.

  13. #363
    Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    The raw is the heaviest (slightly) due to 2 clearcoat layers... but you'd never notice the difference. Weight is mainly in the mind. If you want to ride faster, further, higher, longer and harder, then ride more. If you want to save weight, then go to the toilet before you ride.

    Its combined weight of bike and rider that matters for long days in the saddle, so 1kg weight difference is only 1% (roughly) weight difference (based on bike and kitted up rider weighing 100kg), but our frames more than make up for this with frame stiffness and pedal efficiency. These attributed will mean you can accelerate harder and hold your line better while loosing less energy to flex and wallowing suspension.

    I design our bikes to be ridden, and ridden hard, because that is what we know the vast majority of banshee customer want... don't listen to the marketeers from the big brands who switch to carbon to mainly increase their profit margins, and start counting grams too much. If you want to do that, and spend more time polishing your bike than riding it, then maybe you should start shaving your legs and buy a 'show bike'

    If you want to go mountain biking, then throw a leg over a new Banshee and the bike will do the talking, and what I've said here will make sense to you.
    Hahaha, yes! That´s exactly why I love Banshee, the Bikes and the People behind the Brand so much

  14. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakawi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    81
    check out my mate's Large raw v2 spitfire..



    More pics here on my site
    ((((((((( FAKAWI )))))))))))

  15. #365
    Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    700
    Show the Pics here! The Link doesn´t work ...

    Edit: Ah yeah! Great looking Spitty
    Last edited by NoStyle; 01-15-2013 at 03:38 AM.

  16. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stratovolcano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1

    Smile

    Hi from France (and sorry if everything is not clear...)!
    I have just registered to mtbr because i'm a proud owner of a brand new large black ano Spitfire.
    I see that some of you want to know more about this frame so here i am!

    The frame is just under 3.7kg ( under 8.15lbs) in Large size with provided seat collar (not really light), dropouts, derailleur hanger and 142*12 rear axle.
    Sorry no scale shot...

    The full bike weight is around 13.6kg (just under 30lbs) with the following specs:
    Frame: Large black ano Spitfire
    Wheelset: Ztr Arch on Hope pro evo 2 hubs
    Tires: Maxxis Advantage 2.25 and 2.10
    Transmission: Mainly XT, had to revise the e-type 3*10 front dérailleur but it fits!
    Fork: RS Revelation 150mm tapered 15mm axle and Fox CTD shock
    Brakes: Magura Louise Carbon
    Raceface Turbine handlebar and Thomson 50mm X4 Stem
    Seatpost and saddle: KS I950 and SDG Bel air

    Just had two small rides on it but i think this will be a trail eater.
    Yeah this frame is not the lightest but the rear is really stiff, that's impressive and more important for me!
    Coming from years of hardtails it's my first full suspension bike and i didn't want to buy a noodle/chewing-gum frame so i'm more than happy!

    As a new member, i can't post pictures but i'll do this ASAP!

  17. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    Just got word from Trident that my large black ano is shipping. Pretty damn excited.

  18. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    54
    Mine just shipped too. Just got done cleaning and prepping the build kit parts in anticipation. Can't wait to see what the built weight is going to be. Really hoping it is sub 29lb.

    Just got my custom Fox 34 decals in the mail about 5 minutes ago along with the shock mounting hardware!

    Love to see my weight reaction got people a little fired up! Not saying weight is everything, but weight is important. I look forward to seeing how the weight feels when on the bike and how well the bike accelerates ( which is my biggest reason for wanting a lighter bike). I don't mind doing 30 miles on a 30lb machine or climbing 5k feet on one as long as when I get on the pedals it gets up and goes. Some 30lb bikes I have ridden in the past, like my nomad, didn't do that, others, were just fine. But if you have the chance to get out and ride a 26ish pound race built carbon AM machine, I suggest you do. This season I got a chance to put a Remedy 9.9 through it paces and it make me think of weight in a whole new light. That bike was FAST! As soon as you were on the pedals you were gone, I want that again.

    Either way, I am bikeless right now and it is incredibly depressing.

  19. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    No way I'll be under 33 pounds but my build is pretty burly. We'll see where it lands. I loved the way my old spitfire rode with basically the same build, so if I find the new bike to be as some of the others have reported, I won't care what it weighs...will be such a fun sled.

    Large Ano Black Spitfire
    Fox Van 36RC2
    Crossmax XL wheels
    Old style XT brakes
    XT cranks
    e13 LG lite
    XO rear/X9 shifting
    Reverb
    Sunline stem
    ODI 750mm bars
    2.35 DHF front/2.25 Crossmark rear

  20. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    278
    hey keith, how would a manitou isx-6 do on the new spitfire? i have one from my rune, absolutely love it.

    if you think it would suit, any recommended baseline settings or set up tips given the changes to the suspension design from the old vf4b to the ks link? i'm running the compression circuits pretty much full open, wondering if i can still get away with that

  21. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    54
    My build will be:

    Fox 34 Talas converted to Float and dropped to 150mm (650B Variant)
    Fox CTD for XC and a DB Air for park days
    Full XTR Drivetrain set up 1x10 (until the DTswiss XX1 freehub comes back in stock, then XX1)
    XTR Trail Brakes and Rotors
    KindShock LEV Dropper
    SDG Formula FXR Saddle
    Thomson x4 50mm stem
    Cane Creek Angleset
    Easton Havoc Carbon Bars
    DT Swiss M1700 Spline 650B Wheelset
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf in front and Scwalbe Nobby Nic in the rear
    ODI SDG sig grips

    This bike is going to see a lot of miles this year.

  22. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    388
    ^^^ That is one hell of a build. Can't wait til these frames start rolling in and we can see some pictures!

  23. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cave dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlongb13 View Post
    But if you have the chance to get out and ride a 26ish pound race built carbon AM machine, I suggest you do. This season I got a chance to put a Remedy 9.9 through it paces and it make me think of weight in a whole new light. That bike was FAST! As soon as you were on the pedals you were gone, I want that again.
    Its mostly in the wheels. Cant compare XC race wheels/tires to AM wheels/tires.

    I can feel a huge difference in acceleration on the same bike, with the same wheels with same settings just by going from a Maxxis LUST tubeless tire to a Maxxis DH tubeless tire which adds around 250grams of rotating mass per tire. Nothing else has changed but the bike "feels" faster.

    Maybe consider going for the XR1450's if snappy acceleration is what you are after? Save 100 grams of rotating mass per wheel. It will make a difference but you loose some reliability and stiffness (obviously, but that is always the trade off)

  24. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    54
    Both bikes had carbon Havens on them. Which if the spitfire builds heavy with the 650b wheels it will be getting my havens on it.

    After doing some math my build should be right around 28.5lb which should work for me. And that's real weights not claimed. Just spent an hour weighing everything haha!

  25. #375
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlongb13 View Post
    My build will be:

    Fox 34 Talas converted to Float and dropped to 150mm (650B Variant)
    Fox CTD for XC and a DB Air for park days
    Full XTR Drivetrain set up 1x10 (until the DTswiss XX1 freehub comes back in stock, then XX1)
    XTR Trail Brakes and Rotors
    KindShock LEV Dropper
    SDG Formula FXR Saddle
    Thomson x4 50mm stem
    Cane Creek Angleset
    Easton Havoc Carbon Bars
    DT Swiss M1700 Spline 650B Wheelset
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf in front and Scwalbe Nobby Nic in the rear
    ODI SDG sig grips

    This bike is going to see a lot of miles this year.
    That's gonna be a very nice build, especially with the XX1 when you get it. I'll be watching to see if you hit the goal weight of 28.5lbs. I'd be pretty dam happy with that running the Fox 34 and a dropper. Fox pisses me off as the Floats are white and the Talas black. I would want a Float but not in white and the GD thing is so pricey to begin with to go about swapping the internals.

    Why the Angle Set? (maybe you already have it but I would use a Works Components over the CC as it's a more sano setup IMO).

    I've got 650B NN on my Jamis front/back. Really tall and they roll nice and a little better than the Neo Moto 2.3's I also use. I think the HD front NN rear will be a fantastic combo. Also check out the new Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 as a front possibility
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •