Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've got a clutch coming for my 9 speed also. Hope the shim trick works.
    Looking forward to taking the stinger off as it keeps getting bashed because its so low to clear the stay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I know a while back Banshee released a sag chart for all their frames on their blog.

Is there something similar for the new spitfire?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Yes, it is mentioned for every single V2-Bike in the Spec/Geometry-Chart on their Website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For the spitfire V2 I'd recommend about 14mm of shock sag (compression) to get 28% sag. That is what I personally like the most.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    14mm shock compression, got it.

Thanks Keith!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    How long has it taken others to get the shipping confirmation from Trident after their card gets run?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phallski View Post
    How long has it taken others to get the shipping confirmation from Trident after their card gets run?
    I'm waiting for them to hit my card as I should have a frame coming to me from this next batch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    I'm waiting for them to hit my card as I should have a frame coming to me from this next batch.
    Mine got hit Tuesday and nothing yet.

EDIT: They actually shipped it Tuesday, but didnt bother with the tracking, I hated being a pest but it payed off. Frame will be here tomorrow, just waiting on the shock hardware and headset from Cane Creek to show up next week.
    Last edited by phallski; 03-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.

mtbr member
    I didn't make the cut with the first batch of frames, but was assured 2 weeks ago that I would have one from this current batch. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow and see when they are going to ship it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    for me Zac collected my credit card info. a few weeks before the frames actually arrived. My card was never charged until the frame was shipped at which time they sent and email with receipt and sales number.
    The whole delay was really with the actual shipping and customs technicalities from what I was told. It seems to me as soon as they arrive, Trident ships them out ASAP and the waiting is usually due to custom/shipping delays.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well my frame got here! Just waiting on shock hardware and I will get some pictures up in a weeks time when its final.

mtbr member
    I got them on the phone today and my frame either shipped today or will ship on Monday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First impressions: Instantly noticed the pedaling was smoother and no obvious pedal-induced bob. Flat sections allowed the bike to go much faster than the V1 and pedaling seemed more efficient. I did, however, seem to notice some pedal kickback on the uphill or when the trail had more square edge bumps. My interpretation of pedal kick back is to put the bike in the lowest gear, pedal as slow as possible, and feel for increased forces in the pedal stroke while the shock is compressed through rough terrain. The pedal kick back is not obvious and is subtle. Someone correct me if Iím wrong in my interpretation in the pedal kickback as this is how I perceive it. I suppose it is just inherent to all full suspension designs. So on the V2 perhaps a bit less kickback then the V1, or maybe the same, but certainly not more.

The front end picks up nicely since I went from a 70mm stem on the V1 to a 50mm stem on the V2. What I also noticed from the stem change and increased slackness of the V2 was the front end will wander on uphill climbs. I found myself getting out of the saddle to put more weight forward on a few climbs where I normally sit and pedal through. The slacker head angle of the V2 (0.5) is noticeable and I think adds to the front end wandering. Personally for me a 67-68 degree HA is a nice balance for ascending and descending.

Downhill was also noticeably faster. The bike accelerates well and maintains that acceleration and I was surprised how fast I the bike picked up speed on some of my usual trail routes. What was noticeably different was the lack of plushness in the rear. The old V1 seemed to have endless travel and felt like a Cadillac when cruising downhill. I always felt like the V1 was like a scalpel. It loved to hug the ground, stay planted, carve the turns and dissect the trail. The V2ís rear suspension feels rough and left me wondering where the increased travel went. I think it is probably the shortcomings of the FOX ctd or its tuning. It feels as if itís too progressive, ramps up way too quickly and is not linear in its travel. The bottomless travel wasnít there.
    I can see why people are looking to the Cane Creek. Of course, I made air adjustments at 28% sag and even 30-32% sag. Ran it in the trail and descend mode, and tweaked rebound. Square edge bumps felt better in the descend mode of course, but seemed to lessen the bikes acceleration and I never did get that bottomless feel.( No pedal bob noticed even in the descend mode.) Iím still going to experiment with the settings of course, but from my initial ride the FOX CTD was lacking.

Also, with the V1 there was an obvious sweet spot that put you into the bike and could be felt when cornering. You could feel the sweet spot as it kept the bike balanced and the rider centered allowing you to carve turns and accelerate through them and pick up speed. The rider could shoot out of a corner and pick up momentum similar to carving on skis (something Keith mentioned when first describing the V1 when it was released).
    I didnít quite feel the sweet spot on the V2 right away although that doesnít mean itís not there. I can feel that the sweet spot is in there somewhere and experimentation with the cockpit set up (stem length, bar height, saddle position, bb height, HA) may help to bring it out.

The increased bottom bracket height seemed obvious and gave the bike a less planted feeling while in the turns. My old V1 had a BB height of somewhere between 12.5Ē and 13Ē and it did feel like it railed the turns. I think the increased BB height of the V2 may have reduced the carving, planted feeling of the V1 in the turns. With both versions the long wheel base is evidenced and lively does not describe either version. Itís hard to pick the bike up and put it where you want it when in the moment.

Iím running the cane creek angleset headset so I can make adjustments. I was riding the bike in the neutral setting. I would like to try and get a lower BB and steeper HA similar to the V1. Iím a running rock shox 150 mm revelation and went with the Cane Creek angelset headset because it was the only headset (in the US) that gives an additional 10mm lower stack height. I felt I needed the added 10mm because I was going with 150mm fork instead of the 160mm. I thought that the lower axle to crown would make the BB too low but it is still above 13Ē. I bet a 140mm-150mm travel fork with a zerostack would get the geo closer to the V1 (lower BB And steeper HA) for anyone debating on what headset and fork to choose.

I do like the V2 despite the differences. With all the adjustments that are possible with my headset and dropout chips I think Iíll find myself trying to get back to the V1 geometry. Iíll give more ride reports as the weather is cooperating. I like to hear what others think about the way the V2 rides. Of course this was the first ride and it can only get better.
    Last edited by hiawatha-de; 03-15-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: format

Calm like a Bomb

2013 Spitfire

Any spitfire owners wish they got a rune?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Second ride:
    This bike is so fast on the downhill. It feels as if someone is hitting the accelerator. A very distinct feeling of an increase in momentum when the bike picks up speed. Obviously the suspension design is different. It has a more stable pedal platform that perhaps sacrifices some of its low-speed compression plushness? It feels like a hardtail at times and kicks it up a notch with an increase in speed through smoother sections of trail. As such, it feels a little more rigid in the suspension through the rough sections. (Just gotta get the right compression settings which is hard to do with a fox CTD)

I played around with the front and rear suspension settings and the bike did improve in its liveliness. Before I stated the V1 and V2 were not so lively but after making some cockpit adjustments along with suspension settings I realize the V2 is more responsive if you put the strength in to do so. I took another route on the local trails and was launching easier off lips placing the bike where I wanted, instead of where the bike wanted.

I moved a bit more forward in the cockpit and felt better than being more aft in attempts to find that sweet spot. Moving more forward in the cockpit seemed to help keep the front end down in the climbs although the front still wants to wander at times such as on steep switchbacks.

With so many adjustments possible anyone should be pleased with the V2 version and get it to ride how they prefer if they put the time in to finding the right combinations. I still have plans to make some geo changes down the road. Specifically, lowering the BB and steepening the HA just a tad.

I have say Iím adjusting to the V2 faster than I thought and liking it more and more. Better than the V1 in many aspects with a few attributes missing, but can be fixed with some minor adjustments. I think the rider will be rewarded if they are patient in finding the perfect geometry that is right for their riding style.

Like an ex-girlfirend I guess I have to put the V1 to rest and embrace the V2 and realize while the old one was good, but the new one is gonna be so much better.
    Last edited by hiawatha-de; 03-16-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: format

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I haven't ridden the Rune but the reason I chose the spitfire is because I do a lot of pedaling uphill which I believe makes the spitfire the logical choice between the two.

mtbr member
    Swapped my medium v1 frame for the small v2 and hit the trails all weekend. Put it in the slackest position from the start. All I can say is, oh my god this thing absolutely rips!!! I loved my v1, and had it pretty dailed with an angleset (65deg HA) and elka. Stock geo on v2 felt completely dialed for me, won't be adding an angleset. I was also pleasantly surprised with the fox CTD in the trail setting and will spend some time on that before considering a DBair investment. I initially struggled w/ what frame size to get, and I'm really stoked I settled on the small (i'm a little under 5'8, 30" inseam and longish torso). It'll take some time to writeup a proper ride report... but just wanted to note how fun, playful, and "spunky" this little trail shredder is. Manuals come w/ ease and it doesn't feel weird in the air anymore. I'm also blown away how it sprints, and motors when you gas it on climbs. Some of this can be from dropping down in frame size, but it really does have entirely different feel from the v1 that's hard to explain right now... and it's left me with a sh!t eating grin all weekend

Crappy iPhone pic, and still need to get my cables sorted.
    2013 Spitfire-photo.jpg

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    dirtysurfer, it looks like you're missing the front cable guide on the downtube which is partly why your cabling looks messy. I had the exact same issue with my small and had the front triangle warranteed.

Great looking build though - is that a 44 rc3?

mtbr member
    Ah man, i'll have to take a closer look at that!

I'm running a 55 rc3 ti, amazing fork that complements the bike very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sov View Post
    dirtysurfer, it looks like you're missing the front cable guide on the downtube which is partly why your cabling looks messy. I had the exact same issue with my small and had the front triangle warranteed.

Great looking build though - is that a 44 rc3?

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post
    I was hardly torn between those two and decided to keep it Shorttravel. Havenīt had the Chance to ride a V2 Rune yet, but Iīm pretty happy with the Spitfire. Iīm running mine with 1 Deg Angleset, so Geometry is the same like the Rune, which is for sure an amazing Enduro-Bike, but seems a bit "too much" Bike for what I ride and need.
    In my Opinion The Spitfire is the best and most aggressive and versatile Trailbike on the Market and one of a Kind, for those who just want the right Amount of Travel to kill it on the Singletracks.
    So no Wish for a Rune - the Spitfire rocks in itīs Class and does a great Job, very playfull, plush enough when needed and has a really good Suspension-Platform for Pedalling. Plus: For the 650Bs it has the better Geometry overall (my personal Opinion), because of being slightly longer and lower.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No style have you been riding with 650b can you give any comparison between 26 vs 650b?

mtbr member
    hi guys
    I'm coming from a DW-link AM bike
    and want to buy a new frame.
    this spitfire V2 id one of the frames I'm thinking about...

after reading ďhiawatha-deĒ ride reports, it got me to think that maybe the bike is not so good at square edge hits?
    maybe most of the riders here that love how the bike feels, are riding it in places that donít have much rocks and things that get the rear end to work hard?

I would like to hear more ride reports from riders who ride more rocky trails...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Square edge hits are all about initial axle path and shock setup especially compression damping... what bike are you coming off so I can compare axle paths for you. A more rearward initial axle path will absorb square edge hits better, but the downside of the rearward axle path is the chain stretch that results in pedal kickback which is especially apparent in granny rings. The spitfire has a more rearward axle path than most initally, but it curves off as you go through the travel to minimuse overall pedal kickback.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    thanks builttoride
    I know about axle path :-)

I'm coming from ironhorse MKIII 2007 DW-link

thanks again

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by saruti View Post
    ... after reading ďhiawatha-deĒ ride reports, it got me to think that maybe the bike is not so good at square edge hits?
    maybe most of the riders here that love how the bike feels, are riding it in places that donít have much rocks and things that get the rear end to work hard? ...
    I do not ride in super rocky Terrain all the Time, more natural Trails with some good Amount of bigger Roots. All I can say is that the Spitfire, or the KS-Link in general, is one of the most ground-eating Suspension-Platforms I have ever experienced. Super stiff Rear, nicely plush on the bigger Bumps, square-edge or not, very sensitive on the small Bumps, stable pedalling through rough Sections and a really "poppy" and lively Feel overall. The faster and harder the Trail gets, the better the KS-Link and the great Geometry of the V2-Banshees do work for you.
    Must be the amazing Combination of rearward Axle-Path and slightly more progressive Leverage-Ratio.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    2013 Spitfire-1.png

As you can see the axle path is almost adenticle for first half of travel, so you should expect similar square edge hit cayarcteristics to what you are used to, with slightly less pedal kickback under bigger hits.
    The suspension performance, as always, will depend heavily on shock setup for your riding style and body weight.

thanks builttoride
    I know about axle path :-)

I'm coming from ironhorse MKIII 2007 DW-link

thanks again
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    wow builttoride
    thanks!!

where did you find this info?
    can I find it on the web? for any bike?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is a software program that you can buy here Linkage Bike Simulation Software - News

The basic version would enable you to compare most bikes out there.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    wow builttoride
    thanks!!

where did you find this info?
    can I find it on the web? for any bike?

thanks
    Yeah, you can find tons of this info on Antonio Osuna's linkage blogspot. He doesn't have the new Spitfire info posted (I've asked for it) but he has the Rune and Prime. Rune is almost identical to the Mojo HD in many parameters but the HD has higher pedal kickback and gets more regressive (softer) at the end of travel.

Google Translate
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    thanks guys

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm not sure why the rear suspension on my V2 felt less compliant than my v1. It is definitely stiffer laterally which is a good thing. I believe I still need to mess with my shock settings to get the most out of the rear suspension. I'm not sure if it's the fox factory tune or if I need further tweaking, probably the latter. I only have had 2 good rides due to wet trail conditions.
    For the most part, all the rune owners and other V2 spitfire owners say the suspension is more plush than the V1s. I'm hoping to hear more ride reports, too.

mtbr member
    Took my first ride on my large V2 spitty. Just a regular trail ride with a few roots, jumps, berms, loose wet corners. Nothing super tough. I thought it was better than the V1 (which I loved) in pretty much every way. I just set sag as instructed by Keith, rebound to my taste and left it in "trail" the whole ride. I felt like the bike pedalled great and never really detected any pedal feedback (34t 1x10 setup). I felt the bike was significantly more lively than the V1 but still relatively planted compared to other bikes out there--some of that is certainly the way I set up suspension. Laterally quite stiff in the rear end (135x10mm axle with crossmax sx wheels). I don't set up my bikes to be squishy and comfortable at sub 10 mph speeds because that makes them ride poorly when going faster, which is more important to me. That said, I definitely felt like the ride was more compliant than my V1.

Overall, I think Banshee has once again created a bike that loves to be pushed, rewards agressive, get-over-the-front-and-let-it-rip riding and is just a blast in any potentially fun part of the trail. It corners magnificently, drifts predictably, jumps well (from what I've done so far), and basically had me smiling ear to ear for my entire ride. I can't wait to get it sorted out a bit further and to get it out in the mountains where it will truly shine. I feel very confident saying that while it may not be for everyone, if you liked the V1, you should at least check out the V2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Second ride for me on the V2 and I like it. Pedals so much better in the granny than the V1. Much stiffer rear-end. No play after 2 rides (my V1 had horrible bushing issues).

Still dialing in the Fox CTD, slowly getting there. I'm running the smallest reducer from my V1 to prevent that it blows through it's travel (I'm 200lb) and it seems to work fine, I do think it's running a bit firm at recommended sag so I'll lower the pressure just a tiny bit to improve the Trail setting. What most impresses me is the traction & grip in technical sections, small bump compliance seems so much better.
    In Climb it's awesome on long grinds. Still have to try the Decent setting, want to focus on Trail first.

I went with a 20mm shorter stem but I don't think my XL is any roomier in general, unlike what is mentioned on the forum, but I'm getting used to the shorter set-up and will probably keep it.

I'm glad this frame feels beefier and stiffer, I don't mind the tiny bit of extra weight.

2013 Spitfire-dakota-spitfire-v2.jpg

mtbr member
    what shock tune is this bike come with?
    low?
    med?
    high?

thanks

mtbr member
    Velocity tune Low
    Rebound tune Medium
    Boost Valve 175
    Small air can

at least that's what I've got.

mtbr member
    Can someone point me out to a chainguide that will fit proper on the V2 Spitty? My SRS+ looks wonky on it even in the wide position.

From what I gathered, Straitline seems good and Gamut also? E13 is a no go, no for a clean install at least.

Please don't tell me to buy a clutch rear D and ditch the chainguide.

2013 Spitfire-straitlinesilentguide.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well, here she is, sorry for the crappy instagram pic, but she's done! I'll get a good image up in the next few days

29.7ish lbs.

2013 Spitfire-253707_10101529594003220_1606431502_n.jpg

Frame Spitfire V2
    Shock CC DB Air
    Headset Cane Creek 110
    Fork Revelation
    Stem Thomson X4
    Bar Enve DH
    Drivetrain XX1
    Chainguide LG1
    Brakes x0 Trail
    Rotors HSX160/180
    Front Hub DT 240s 15mm CenterLock
    Rear Hub Dt240s 12x142 Centerlock
    Rims Arch EX
    Spokes Sapim CX-Ray 276x64
    Tire F/R Ardent 2.25
    Post Lev
    Collar Thompson Clamp
    Saddle Silverado Pro
    Grips Longneck
    Pedals DX

mtbr member
    hi guys
    I really wanted to buy this frame...
    but the distributor here is telling me he wonít sell any 2013 banshee...
    I really donít get it.
    why do banshee work with dealers like that?

I know some guys from banshee are here in the forum.
    so I hope they will see that and give me an answer or solution.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    PM sent
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    thanks man

mtbr member

too bad

hi guys
    I really wanted to buy this frame...
    but the distributor here is telling me he wonít sell any 2013 banshee...
    I really donít get it.
    why do banshee work with dealers like that?

I know some guys from banshee are here in the forum.
    so I hope they will see that and give me an answer or solution.

Thanks
    I was considering replacing my wildcard with a rune V2...

mtbr member
    Amrayo.
    I hope it will sorted out.
    the guys at banshee are OK

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well just got my first ride in on my new Spitfire. Wow, the suspension feels so good, especially at speed. I think the geometry is spot on for the riding I do in Utah, especially the low slack with a steeper seat tube angle set up. I replaced my Yeti SB-66 with this bike and could not be happier with my decision, Banshee got the fit and feel of this bike just right (like momma's porridge). The bike does drift well into and seems to stay in the sweet spot to pedal out of corners. I would say this is the most dialed bike I have been on to date and I look forward to some good years ahead of me.
    I just hope I can win some damn enduro events on it (freaking guys are fast out here, and my chubby ass is out of shape).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    3rd ride and I think the Fox CTD rear shock is starting to break in. Smooth! Lots of grip. On my local test trail (top of Mt Falcon near Denver) which has lots of rocks, water-bars and roots this bike already feels faster through some of technical downhills. As in scary fast. Quiet. Bike feels solid up or down. And it pedals so much better.

Don't want to jinx it but unless something bizarre develops Banshee really redeemed themselves for the V1 bushing mess.

2013 Spitfire-2013-mar-falcon-ir22.jpg

Unfit Norwegian
    I'm getting more and more tempted by the new Spitfire. I've always ridden 26-ers. I've been wondering about 29-ers for a while, but I don't really want to take the leap.

The fact that the Spitfire can run 650B wheels, and that it looks awesome, makes it a no brainer.

There is one thing I'm wondering, though.

I'm a heavy rider (Unfortunately fat, not tall) at 215 lbs (without gear), and before, I've had mixed experience with air sprung shocks. I've always ended up with (custom tuned shim stack) coil shocks to get proper rebound damping, but a modern, light air shock might still work. What do you guys think? What's the travel/stroke ratio on the Spitfire, and is it falling or rising rate? Is it suitable for using a coil shock, or is it designed (fast rising rate) to favour an air sprung shock? ...And if so: Can I get away with using one? I'm slow and ride like a wimp. No big drops or anything.

Maybe something like the CCDB Air is the ticket?

Builttoride?
    Last edited by Dazed; 03-22-2013 at 03:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    I'm getting more and more tempted by the new Spitfire. I've always ridden 26-ers. I've been wondering about 29-ers for a while, but I don't really want to take the leap.

The fact that the Spitfire can run 650B wheels, and that it looks awesome, makes it a no brainer.

There is one thing I'm wondering, though.

I'm a heavy rider (Unfortunately fat, not tall) at 215 lbs (without gear), and before, I've had mixed experience with air sprung shocks. I've always ended up with (custom tuned shim stack) coil shocks to get proper rebound damping, but a modern, light air shock might still work. What do you guys think? What's the travel/stroke ratio on the Spitfire, and is it falling or rising rate? Is it suitable for using a coil shock, or is it designed (fast rising rate) to favour an air sprung shock? ...And if so: Can I get away with using one? I'm slow and ride like a wimp. No big drops or anything.

Maybe something like the CCDB Air is the ticket?

Builttoride?
    I designed the spitfire to work with both coil and air shocks. It has a progressive linkage. It has a low overall leverage ratio at 2.45:1.

If I were you I would strongly consider the DBair shock option... you can tune the hell out of that shock if you know what you are doing.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Unfit Norwegian
    Thanks!

I must say it's pretty great of you to hang around here answering everyone's questions, btw! Thanks! Sincerely.

I've thought about the CCDB (Air) with it's limitless tuneability in mind, and if I can order the frame with that shock, it's the obvious solution! Thank you! I suppose the Norwegian distributor can get it for me when I'm ready to order? (My Viento (Killer hardtail!!!) will have to suffice as my only bike a while longer.)

Is it possible to order the Spitfire in the awesome "Kawa" green that I see on some legends, btw?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm afraid that we can't offer custom colours, and green is not on the cards for the spitfire currenty. Mayhem Sports can order the frames with a DBair for you from us.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

Unfit Norwegian
    Thanks. Excellent! The red one isn't exactly uncool either, so I'll manage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Seriously I love this bike. I am going to upgrade the shock to the new Xfusion Vector Air HLR. I think the big can and boost valve will help keep from bottoming out when jumping to flat. Other than that, this bike tears corners like no bike I have ever ridden. Well done Banshee. Also mine weighs in at 29.1 pounds with a 34 float fork, that is not bad in my book.