Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 2504

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My '14 Stealth Ano black Spitfire showed up monday. Finished the assembly and got it all together Moday, set it up tubeless and strted fooling with the shock yesterday. First ride was very impressive. This thing inspires confidence, and allowed me to keep up with some of my buddies I couldn't keep up with before. Very impressed with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My spitfire, the best bike I have ever had

2013 Spitfire-spitfire-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The frame weights a little bit more than other trail bikes but this one is an enduro bike. Its geometry is very agressive and I love it. Every day I feel more confortable and I'm riding faster. I have a Rune too but my best is the Spitfire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    2013 Spitfire-banshee-spitfire-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    2013 Spitfire-guys-camera-670.jpg2013 Spitfire-guys-camera-673.jpg2013 Spitfire-guys-camera-669.jpg

this is the latest on my spitty. Such a great bike - I love it. Im house training our new puppy at the minute so im pretty much housebound. However, I managed to get away for an hour yesterday to tinker with the set up. I've put some old 40mm rise DH bars on it now just to see how high rise bars affect the handling as I just need to sort out the cockpit and i plan to get out again today for a thrash around. Yesterday I put a load of spacers beneath the stem to raise the stack height and it felt loads better than my first ride. Also put 200 psi in the shock to lower the sag from 15mm down to about 13mm or so, although Ill try out a shock reducer at some point

im happy running the slack setting for the time being as its so nicely balanced. Its such a fantastic bike and well worth the long wait. I just wish it was summer so I could spend all day on it

mtbr member
    I'm close to picking up a spitty, one question for those in the know.

Is there any reason why a 28t front ring would not be a good idea?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would not worry about having a 28t front on the spitfire. I do tones of riding in with a 24t front and it works well. The linkage moves more than when Im in my 32t, but I dont mind it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am pretty sure it has been stated but this is a very long thread so can somebody forgive and answer me how much sag you run in rear shock mm wise? Is it 17? That seems to stick to mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    With the CCDB Air it is 15 mm.

mtbr member
    Ks link sag charts are here http://bansheebikes.blogspot.co.uk/2...harts.html?m=1 I seem to remember keith saying optimum sag was 14.5mm or 28%

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the link to the chart. Looks like anywhere from 11 to 15 mm at shock. Anybody find a preferred? I will likely start in the middle at 13 and go from there.

mtbr member
    Im using the fox ctd shock and for me the sweet spot seems to be 14.5mm of sag

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Had my spitfire v2 for a year now and still massively in love with this frame, looking to build up some new wheels and thinking of going for 650b.... Would love to hear people's experience of 650b and also if anyone has had time on both wheel sizes. I only have 135x10 dropouts but I read about people using these for 650b, the max tire size i be using would be 2.35.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyninja View Post
    Had my spitfire v2 for a year now and still massively in love with this frame, looking to build up some new wheels and thinking of going for 650b.... Would love to hear people's experience of 650b and also if anyone has had time on both wheel sizes. I only have 135x10 dropouts but I read about people using these for 650b, the max tire size i be using would be 2.35.
    A friend and I have identical bike builds - apart from him having his front end quite a bit lower than I.... and he's on 26" and I am 27.5" using the specific drop-outs.

You certainly notice the difference immediately, but it's not the night and day people make it out to be, nor do I think you'll be any faster... you will just be a bit more stable and smooth as it removes some of the trail chatter.

We've done a lot of testing, specifically on rooty DH tracks and wide open "Freeride" type tracks and man-made trail centres - and I have come to the conclusion that I much prefer the feel of the 650b for this bike.

Examples below (crappy quality pics... dark, overcast and muddy at the mo!)

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyninja View Post
    My Experience with 650B are nothing but positive! It´s worth to mention that my Setup is possibly different from others:
    - I use the 26 Dropouts, so Chainstay-Length is sub 430 mm, only Konas or Orbeas are shorter.
    - I run a 26" Fork.
    - I run a -0,5 Deg Angleset to keep the slack 66 Deg HA. It too might compliment the smaller Offset of the Fork.
    All in all my Setup is basically pure 26" and 650B-nonspecific, but Thanks to the great Design of Banshee and BOS-Suspension there is enough Clearance for a 650B-Wheel, at least for Tires up to 2.3. The whole Bike is just 10 to 12 mm higher with 650Bs - something you barely notice on the Trail, while the Geometry is as aggressive and up to Date as you can think.
    In this Setup I don´t feel I have lost any Agility, Maneuverability or playful Handling versus the 26".

Truth is: Since I have my 650B-Wheelset I never switched back to the 26" again. A major Factor is simply Weight. The complete 650B-WS (including Tubes, Tires, Discs, Cassette) is 970 Gramm lighter than my 26-WS. You can imagine that Pedalling and Acceleration is a lot more effortless.
    Another major Factor is better Rolling-over-Resistance. It´s not Day and Night, but noticeably better over small and medium Obstacles and supports keeping Speed versus the smaller Wheels feeling much slowing down over Roots or Rocks.
    Do you have generally more Braking-Traction or better Cornering? I always thought that this depends on Tire-Choice and Air-Pressure. Tough to say because my imagination can deceive me, but since I´ve read Keiths Blog about Wheelsize I run lower Tire-Pressure and have gained more Grip even with the Trailstar (intermediate) Compound.
    So if I were you I would do the Switch and get the lightest 650b-Wheelset with the widest Rims you can afford. You will not loose Stiffness if it´s build with Quality.
    The only Thing is the Rear Dropout. Not sure about the right Clearance for bigger Tires. Play safe and get the 650B ones for Big-Volume-Tires or very muddy Conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the replies, I took your advice nostyle the last time I built some wheels and went with frequency i23 rims and they have been excellent, I have been using them tubeless on my hardtail recently, so was thinking of taking the hubs from my old hardtail wheel set and trying the 650b... Thinking of using the Wtb KOM rims or another set of i23's.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    My 650B Rims are WTB i23 650B too. Like them because they are laterally really stiff and light. Now there are i25 available, maybe add these to your List.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by theraggyone View Post
    Ks link sag charts are here Born on the Shore - The Banshee Bikes Blog: KS link bike sag charts I seem to remember keith saying optimum sag was 14.5mm or 28%

Sweet! just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting this. I have a rune v2. Unfortunately I had to send my fox float x back to fox the other day because it was blowing oil out of the rebound knob, after the first time I rode it.

mtbr member
    Some upgrades to my Banshee - out went the old xt cranks, x7 shifter and derailleur, 11-32 cassette, mrp 1x guide and in came a new xt crank, 36t raceface N/W ring, saint shifter, 11-36 10spd cassette, and zee rear derailleur. Why did I wait so long? I love the new clutch derailleur and N/W ring setup.

spinner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk77 View Post
    Unfortunately I had to send my fox float x back to fox the other day because it was blowing oil out of the rebound knob, after the first time I rode it.
    Sorry to hear that. My CTD has a problem from brand new as well. The rebound adjustment does next to nothing and the shock also has the clunk as shown in this video. (but without the sucking sound)
    Fox Float CTD 2013 clunk noise issue - YouTube

Has anyone else had problems with brand new Fox shocks ? I'm far from impressed , been using Fox suspension for years now without any issues. What happened to their QA ?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A great 650b wheelset to buy, that's VERY light and at a good price are these:
    Spank Oozy 26AL EVO Complete Wheels ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Wheelsets - Vital MTB

The tubeless on them is fantastic, and I'm yet to burp the tyres. (even with picking up 5KGs over the Christmas period, sitting here at 85 kilos - nice and fat / heavy)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Has anyone else had problems with brand new Fox shocks ? I'm far from impressed , been using Fox suspension for years now without any issues. What happened to their QA ?
    I have blown 3-4 consecutive fox floats within 6 weeks of getting them new (from 2007-present). Problems were various from stuck down to loss of rebound to clunk. Funny thing is that after sending them to PUSH for tuning, they came back working better, and ran reliably for the rest of their lives. I can't explain it and neither could Darren at PUSH when I talked to him (although he was pleased).

Ironically, my Fox CTD that came on my Spitfire worked fine for about 6 months before loosing rebound control. I saw a deal and picked up a CCDBA. That was one of the most night and day (for the better) upgrades I've ever made. Will not go back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by supercow View Post
    A great 650b wheelset to buy, that's VERY light and at a good price are these:
    Spank Oozy 26AL EVO Complete Wheels ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bike Wheelsets - Vital MTB

The tubeless on them is fantastic, and I'm yet to burp the tyres. (even with picking up 5KGs over the Christmas period, sitting here at 85 kilos - nice and fat / heavy)
    good to hear. I bought these rims laced to Chris King hubs Very slightly used, with new shwalbe HD/RR tires for 550 bucks.. Havent been able to really ride them yet due to sending my shock back to fox.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sorry to hear that. My CTD has a problem from brand new as well. The rebound adjustment does next to nothing and the shock also has the clunk as shown in this video. (but without the sucking sound)
    Fox Float CTD 2013 clunk noise issue - YouTube

I've got about 15 miles on my bike so far...............The weather has not cooperated one bit here in southeast Pennsylvania lately. But the last ride I started to hear that same clunk. Sounds like the bushings are out in the shock mounts, but it's all brand new and tight. I had it somewhat narrowed down to the shock and that convinces me.

My buddies '13 Rune has already had the shock pulled and returned to Fox after it started leaking in less than 6 months.

I have to say though, I'm kind of disappointed with banshee for supplying '13 shocks with '14 frames. Didn't know that til I tried to register it with Fox.

spinner
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    I've got about 15 miles on my bike so far...............The weather has not cooperated one bit here in southeast Pennsylvania lately. But the last ride I started to hear that same clunk. Sounds like the bushings are out in the shock mounts, but it's all brand new and tight. I had it somewhat narrowed down to the shock and that convinces me.

My buddies '13 Rune has already had the shock pulled and returned to Fox after it started leaking in less than 6 months.

I have to say though, I'm kind of disappointed with banshee for supplying '13 shocks with '14 frames. Didn't know that til I tried to register it with Fox.
    Interesting. I hadn't tried to register the shock with Fox so I don't know if it was a 13 or 14. I was told , while waiting for my frames shipment to leave the factory , that one of the the delays was because of no Fox shocks being available. That was around early December from memory. I guess you could assume from that delay that it may have been a 14 ? Either way it was faulty straight from the factory.
    Good job Fox.

Yeah , I noticed the clunk on the first ride. I thought it was something I'd missed during the build , maybe the headset or BB. Checked everything but finally narrowed it down to the shock. I found that video and that assured me that I had found the culprit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We've done a lot of testing, specifically on rooty DH tracks and wide open "Freeride" type tracks and man-made trail centres - and I have come to the conclusion that I much prefer the feel of the 650b for this bike.
    Hey supercow, thanks for the comments. I'd be interested to hear your friend's take on this comparison and why he's sticking to 26. What has he said about it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No probs bud.
    He will be swapping over to 27.5" as soon as he can afford to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Best bike I've ever owned.
    Head over heels with the little bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

AW: 2013 Spitfire

Best bike I've ever owned.
    Head over heels with the little bike.

Wow. Nice build. Weight?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    13.3kg / 29.4lbs

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My spitty in action

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What bars are you running Supercow? I bought Thomson AM bars but they feel awful narrow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Raceface Sixc bars uncut

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

Hey spities, what are you running for rear fast rolling but confident tire ?

Sam

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nobby Nic, 2.25"
    I have the pacestar compound, but If I had to re buy I would go for the trailstar. It's pretty slippy when its quite muddy, wet and rooty and also through deep compression berms I can feel i slide out as I push, but it's quite controlled.

I won't bother with changing it, summer is hopefully not too far away.
    You can't really go wrong with a set of Hans Dampfs F/R, so that's what I'd recommend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

Hans Dampf front and rear is what I have now. Must say that the front, Trailstar, is perfect but that the efficiency on the rear should be better. For sure I will not change it before spring comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Samos; 01-21-2014 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member

Re: 2013 Spitfire

2013 Spitfire-uploadfromtaptalk1390344555776.jpg

mtbr member
    Forgot to type lol. Just fitted my new fork today so thought I would post an updated photo .its a fox 34 ctd factory talas I changed the graphics to match seems alot nicer than my old rev was but ive yet to use it on a proper trail , will have to waut for the weekend for that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    Hans Dampf front and rear is what I have now. Must say that the front, Trailstar, is perfect but that the efficiency on the rear should be better. For sure I will not change it before spring comes.
    Why not try a Rock Razor if you're looking for fast rolling but still having some cornering grip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

This is definitely one I should give a try. Just waiting for some more reviews.

Sam

Hard funkin´ Kraut

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I cannot for the life of me find it.

I'm really interested in a 2014 Spitfire but can't work out from the website or publicity material whether it has been designed with with 26" or 650b wheels as the primary size.

Every other bike I have seen that has been redesigned for 650b has the BB height lowered by 10-15mm to compensate for the increased wheel diameter, head angle slightly altered, etc. but looking at the geo charts the 650b Spitfire dropouts don’t do this. I also can’t see any BB drop info to let me compare to other 650b bikes. Based on this, and as all the reviews I can find are of the bike with 26" wheels, I'm assuming that 26” is the size the bike was designed for and 650b is possible but is a compromise.

If 26” is the way forward then that is great as I can just move my stuff over, if 650b is the way then I need new forks and wheels, in which case does anyone know if there is a plan to release a 650b optimized Spitfire in the future?

I've tried to get this info from Banshee customer service but, perhaps unsurprisingly, got a rather generic reply and they didn't say which wheel size it had been designed around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    In slack setting Spitfire with 26 dropouts has 431mm CS and has BB at 33cm, with 27,5 dropouts has 441 and 34, that's only diffrence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    shackleton raises a fair point. When in 650b mode do the axles drop below the bb as with other 650b specific frames?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by siwilson View Post
    shackleton raises a fair point. When in 650b mode do the axles drop below the bb as with other 650b specific frames?
    Average tire diameter of a 27.5 is ~700mm, so the center would be 350mm.
    If the Spitfire is 340mm BB height in 27.5 mode, the BB is approx 10mm below the wheel axle.

But is pure speculation, I don't have one to measure. Good question, though.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi,
    my specs:
    - 650B 150mm Pike with HR2
    - 650B drop outs / low setting / 2.25 Ardent

BB is at 342
    Axle is at 352

So BBdrop is ~10mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cheers guys. Would be nice to get a definitive answer from Banshee though. I know the designer is often on here so would be good if he could chime in on this one as you can't email him directly through Banshee anymore.

FWIW I think the geometry makes more sense in 650b, due to the BB height mainly, but it would be nice to know how it was designed as the general consensus from the rest of the industry is that to swap from 26" to 650b there more considerations than BB height to take into account.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hello, I designed the dropouts secifically so that the only thing that changes is the BB height (assuming same a-c of fork). The adjustable geometry at the dropouts means that there is a lot of flexibility for customers to adjust the geometry to their prefernce. Since the BB height only changes by on average about 12mm between wheel sizes (assuming same volume of tire) the change is not that significant. I personally run my spifire with 26" wheels because I have nice 26" wheels.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2013 Spitfire

Mine just got suspension tuned in and brakes done. Cannot wait to ride it!

(Sorry if it's bad quality I snapshot it off instagram. I'll get better photos tomorrow)
    Last edited by steeeze; 01-24-2014 at 06:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post

(Sorry if it's bad quality I snapshot it off instagram. I'll get better photos tomorrow)
    those stealth graphics look so much better than the white graphics. nice change for 2014

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post

SICK build.

if your bike had a theme song it would be this DMX, Jay-Z, Ja Rule-It's Murda (Street Version) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2013 Spitfire

Picked it up and I couldn't be happier. I need to bed in the hope enduro 4s tonight before the maiden spin tomorrow. First thing to change will be the Thompson elite bars as the feel a little too cramped I'm thinking enve DH at this stage.

How do you determine air pressure in forks and shocks? I'm 73kgs

mtbr member
    Set your air pressures by sag. You want 15mm for the rear, and I like my pike with ~25-30%.

mtbr member
    I've been ridding my spitty for about six weeks now. I've refrained from posting a picture because I wanted to get one with the syntace w30 27.5 wheelset on there. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to get my hands on the syntace XD freehub so I'm stuck running my old and heavy 26" wheels til then. Current weight is 29lb flat for my medium spitty. The bike should come in sub-28lb once I've got the new wheelset on . My only complaint is the fox ctd float. I'm coming off a rune v2 that had a DBair, so the float feels like it's got no mid stroke damping control in comparison. I've been pondering throwing a xfusion vector air on the bike to help in this department.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hi has anyone had any issues with their DB Air CS? I've barely got 5 hours or so riding time with mine and its losing air pressure. I pumped it up to 200psi on Saturday evening and then checked again this morning (Monday) and it'd lost 20psi. All its had is easy riding with no crashes

Im getting on to my bike shop but can't find anything on 'net for this. Looks like a warranty service is on the cards ((

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Hi has anyone had any issues with their DB Air CS? I've barely got 5 hours or so riding time with mine and its losing air pressure. I pumped it up to 200psi on Saturday evening and then checked again this morning (Monday) and it'd lost 20psi. All its had is easy riding with no crashes

Im getting on to my bike shop but can't find anything on 'net for this. Looks like a warranty service is on the cards ((
    And the loss of pressure is not just the air that goes into to the manometer when you connect it again? Are you sure that you are losing pressure?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    cheers, I thought that might account for a bit of pressure - not 20psi. I'll check again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I've been ridding my spitty for about six weeks now. I've refrained from posting a picture because I wanted to get one with the syntace w30 27.5 wheelset on there. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting to get my hands on the syntace XD freehub so I'm stuck running my old and heavy 26" wheels til then. Current weight is 29lb flat for my medium spitty. The bike should come in sub-28lb once I've got the new wheelset on . My only complaint is the fox ctd float. I'm coming off a rune v2 that had a DBair, so the float feels like it's got no mid stroke damping control in comparison. I've been pondering throwing a xfusion vector air on the bike to help in this department.
    cheaper option is sending your float to avalanche for their tune. custom shim stack for your weight and riding style. great reviews, check out the thread in the knolly forum.

Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications

Avalanche now servicing Fox CTDs

there are people riding the tuned float who have had the ccdb air and says it is as good or better than the ccdb. plus lighter overall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Love the stealth look of these last two Spittys.

Are those the 35mm Next bars? What stem is that, Turbine?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Stealth mode on my spitty will be complete when I can run my syntace w30 wheels. Here's my current build:

Med ano black spitfire, float ctd
    RS pike rct3 27.5
    Works components headset -1 angleset
    60mm turbine stem
    725mm atlas carbon bars
    Dt 240 hubs
    Mavic 521 rims (killing me on weight!)
    Higheoller lust ust 2.35 running tubeless
    Sram xo1 (all black and grey)
    Syntace titan pedals, large
    Xt brakes, 180 rotors
    Reverb
    Wtb volt ti rails
    Cheapo shimano BB

mtbr member
    The CCDB Air (not cs) didn't hold air when it arrived on my Prime, sometimes it happens. CC got it sorted pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Are most people running 150mm pikes or 160mm ?

I am just about to start to build mine around 26'' wheels and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by jonesy07; 01-28-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: add more info

Mr. Knowitall

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy07 View Post

I am just about to start to build mine around 26'' wheels and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    160 for 26" fork
    150 for 650b fork

mtbr member
    I'm running a 160 on mine w/ 26 wheels. Really comes down to what you want in terms of geometry. FWIW, I love mine in neutral dropout setting for general riding.

Hard funkin´ Kraut

Thanks
    650B Wheels in 160 mm 26" Fork

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    I'm running a 160 on mine w/ 26 wheels. Really comes down to what you want in terms of geometry. FWIW, I love mine in neutral dropout setting for general riding.
    i am trying to find your bike mate to have a look. Can ou pos it or let me know what page its on ? cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just trying to st up my ccdb air. i was running 100 psi on my blur for 20% sag but it ooks like i need to put 150 to achieve the same sag ? is this correct ? i am about 75 kg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2013 Spitfire

I'm 70kgs at 110 psi and it's feels amazing with 15mm sag.

I'm scared to touch anything on the shock as appears you need some sort of degree to tune it.

Without a doubt the best shock I've ever owned just not the easiest to adjust. I only wish the had sag % measurements on the shock like the pikes has.

Can't win em all.

mtbr member
    i am trying to find your bike mate to have a look. Can ou pos it or let me know what page its on ? cheers
    I hadn't posted it. Sorry it's muddy...hose out back is frozen solid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just finished up my build. Specs below.

Large in Raw setup 26inch
    Pike 160
    XX1 drivetrain
    Avid Trail XO brakes
    Enve carbon bars on Kore stem
    Velocity Blunt rims laced to American Classic hubs
    KS 950r seatpost 150mm
    Maxxis Ardent UST Lust rear in 2.25 tubeless
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 snakeskin front tubeless
    Odi Rogue grips
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    WTB saddle

Final weight=28lbs 10 oz

2013 Spitfire-img-20140131-00240.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

I had yesterday a small ride with my Spitfire. I need some advices for my shock setting. It is the second time I feel like a lose of energy when I'm riding a little on the road. I think three factors, apart of my very poor training, are playing a role. There is the shock settings as I said. It.s the CCDB air. The second factor are the tires. Front a Hans dampf, rear I swapped the Hans for a aspect Purgatory Grid. Not lighter but rolls better. And it's so muddy here now, that a fast rolling tire isn't an alternative at this time. That last factor is about the bottom bracket and the chain device. Seems to be a little tight there, I need to modify something.

But what I need for now are some advice about the shock settings. It is now set standard like Cane Creek recommend it, the base tune. Because of the trails conditions here now, it is not possible to test ride. In your opinion should I make it firmer by adding some low speed compression amd at the same time giving more low speed rebound ?

Here my setup, maybe it will help :

Spitfire in S
    CCDB air
    RS Sektor novyparts (a French suspension guru)
    Hope hoops Arch ex
    2x9 drivetrain, Sram X0
    Zee brakes
    Etc....

Sam

mtbr member
    You probably won't notice that sensation on the trails. If you firm it up too much for pavement, it will ride like poo on the trail.

That is unless its a significant amount of bobbing. Trial and error will help, you're thinking about adjusting the right things so if it doesn't help you can always experiment some more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spitfire

Thanks, so I'll try it next week if the weather agree... I think the biggest problems I have are my chain guide and my training. Or better said my miss of training,

About chain guide, I have now a BB mounted Truvativ 2x chain guide. The problem is that my RF bottom bracket isn't spinning totally freely and because of the ISCG slots I cannot add spacers anymore...

Are you using a Chain guide or a clutch type rear derailleur would be enough ? I have two possibilities, change the Chain guide and keep my old but totally ok X0 drivetrain or remove my chain guide and buy a new 10x rear derailleur, cassette and chain. The second possibility giving me the opportunity to move to 1x10 (with 42t cog) in a near future.

Sam

mtbr member
    I've found that a Type 2 derailleur helps, but the addition of a narrow-wide chainring like the Wolftooth or Race Face really keeps the chain on. That would mean moving to a 1x10 though.

I have no experience in running 2x setups with a clutch der. so I can't help you out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    After riding mine around for the past week I am having the same problems with an "Energy Zapping" ride but I have put it down the the ridiculous Maxxis High Roller 2 2.4" that are currently on it. They are so stupidly soft and way to big for my use so I think I am going to get some Ardent Race 2.3 front and back and see if that helps.

Really enjoying the downhills on this bike but absolutely hating the flats and uphills, my intense m9 wasn't much worse.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Had my first three long rides recently on neutral setting for my 3 weeks old M size Spitefire bike.
    I am using CCDB CS rear and Pike 160 front on 27.5 Mavic Enduro wheels.
    Rear sag at 15mm as recommended and Pike 25% front.

Very fast descent rides. Straights braaps are really fast. Pedalling is average on flats but was suprised with its awesome climbs especially with the CS switch activated.Tight turn climbs with the 160mm front may be abit of issue but so far managed to steer it with abit of bodyworks. Felt slightly higher riding stance with them 27.5 mavics.

My next ride session will be on more slacker mode, will be adjusting the rear triangles for a slightly lower bb height.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-img_7313124350467.jpeg  

Last edited by Nurhakim Hudri; 02-06-2014 at 05:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurhakim Hudri View Post

My next ride session will be on more slag mode
    Riding a slag is great fun, just wear plenty of protection when you do.

Sick looking bike btw

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for that protection advice. Going for a short road trip for some sick slack rides soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for that protection advice. Going for a short road trip for some sick slack rides soon.
    I was making a bit of fun, of your typing error

In the UK, "Loose women" are also called a "slag" - hence the reason I said you might want "protection"

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Samos View Post
    ... But what I need for now are some advice about the shock settings. It is now set standard like Cane Creek recommend it, the base tune. Because of the trails conditions here now, it is not possible to test ride. In your opinion should I make it firmer by adding some low speed compression amd at the same time giving more low speed rebound? ...
    Hi Sam,

do you have the regular CCDB or with CS?
    The CCDB-Air Base-Tune for the Spitfire is:
    15 mm sag, 2 clicks HSC, 2 clicks HSR, 10 clicks LSC, 14 clicks LSR.
    I have added 2 more clicks on both LSC and LSR and now the suspension is almost free of any movement when pedaling, regardless of 22 or 36 tooth up front. I have a nice forward-acceleration now without sacrificing small-bump-sensitivity ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was making a bit of fun, of your typing error

In the UK, "Loose women" are also called a "slag" - hence the reason I said you might want "protection"
    Hahaha...my bad.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    One the best build I've seen so far.
    Is it possible to have more pictures? I plan to build one like this one except the wheels (white SX) and some others components.

Have a great ride!

mtbr member
    Anyone 6' on a medium spitfire ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 6'2" and the large feels right for me with a 50mm stem and 30" bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    I'm 5-10/11ish and went large, and I'm happy I did. I rode my buddies large Rune with a 70mm stem and it felt good. I'm running a 50mm stem and the bike feels good. I think I'd feel cramped on a medium, let alone a 16.5 frame would be almost impossible to ge the seat to XC height without a super long seatpost. Current is 375 with about 1.5 before the minimum insertion line.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    I'm 5-10/11ish and went large
    Like wise and I'm very happy I made the decision to get the Large over the medium because it feels perfect.

ev.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm 6' even, and ride a large with a 35mm stem (I like a short cockpit).
    Demo'd a medium and it just felt cramped even with a longer stem, so really glad I went the large. Plust the longer wheelbase gives loads of stability at speed.

Go a large, you won't regret it.

spinner
    Yeah. Running a 50mm stem , bike is very flickable and playful , corners much faster than I can haha. The only downside is the seatube length. I have a KS Dropzone (385mm) at minimum insertion. Another 10mm in saddle height would be perfect for me but its not a dealbreaker. I could get a 420mm post and solve the problem if need be.

Most 6 footers seem to go for the large though.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Hmmm ... you should seriously demoride a medium to check if you like the fit!!! Good chance it could be to short in ETT and going 70 or 80 mm stem could turn the overall handling more into negative ...
    I´m 180/84cm 5' 10,8" tall and went from medium to large, never regret it one time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The Spitfire has landed!

Mr. Knowitall

Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Hmmm ... you should seriously demoride a medium to check if you like the fit!!! Good chance it could be to short in ETT and going 70 or 80 mm stem could turn the overall handling more into negative ...
    I´m 180/84cm 5' 10,8" tall and went from medium to large, never regret it one time.
    I hear ya! I am 185 and was considering roing XL with 35-40mm stem for good riding position as well as steep terrain handling. I was talked out of it, but I am starting to have some regrets. Want a more stretched økt position, but a longer stem sucks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

more photos of the black stealth Spittie

Just wanna share the Spitfire set up. Weighs about 13.5kg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-img_7337577357980.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54081987165416.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54090857558254.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54099423239049.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54125004243478.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54104525910343.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54155455134117.jpeg  

2013 Spitfire-img_54140352950693.jpeg  

mtbr member
    thanks for the replies. i was pretty sure large was the way to go, just confirmed by the replies. thanks nostyle, good to hear you are happy about the switch to large

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks a lot!
    Perfect weight and look

Enjoy your ride!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    thanks for the replies. i was pretty sure large was the way to go, just confirmed by the replies. thanks nostyle, good to hear you are happy about the switch to large
    You´re welcome!
    Well for me, a medium was good, but with a 50 mm stem as the shortest. The large gives more room to play with stems from 30 to 50 mm while giving a nice comfortable cockpit for all kind of riding.
    You are a tad taller than me, so large should fit well and gives choices to play with (shorter) stem-length as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Tentatively considering a Spitfire at the moment... Planning to go 650b eventually, but would like to run my current 26" wheels for a while first - would I completely mess things up and smash my pedals all over the place running 26" wheels in the 650b dropouts?

mtbr member
    i think you'd be fine doing it....atleast i would do it without being worried.

if your interested in a good deal on a 2013 spitfire check this one out, can build do complete build or just the frame.

2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 - medium - PRICE DROP - 650b compat - Pinkbike
    Ride fast. Take chances.

www.stinride.com

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingleberry88 View Post
    Tentatively considering a Spitfire at the moment... Planning to go 650b eventually, but would like to run my current 26" wheels for a while first - would I completely mess things up and smash my pedals all over the place running 26" wheels in the 650b dropouts?
    No! The 650B Dropouts only lengthen the Chainstays about 10 mm, for tire-clearance. With 26" you get a low +/-330 mm BB in the slackest setting, but gets higher in the neutral and steep flipchip-setting.

mtbr member
    very nice build, only thing missing is X11SL DLC/BLACK » KMC Chain

Name:  X11SL-DLC-Black-262x240.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  12.6 KB

any time with those wheels yet?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

AW: 2013 Spitfire

Yeah. Running a 50mm stem , bike is very flickable and playful , corners much faster than I can haha. The only downside is the seatube length. I have a KS Dropzone (385mm) at minimum insertion. Another 10mm in saddle height would be perfect for me but its not a dealbreaker. I could get a 420mm post and solve the problem if need be.

Most 6 footers seem to go for the large though.
    184cm on an M. 50mm Stem. Absolutely love it.