Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2013 Spitfire

510K views 3K replies 288 participants last post by  RS VR6 
#1 ·
What do we know so far?

Does it have bearings?
Adjustable geometry? Looks like there could be adjustable geo built into the dropouts.
Geo specs?

27.5" compatible dropouts as option

"Banshee Bikes 2013" by fakawi

#448 ·
Full build spec is as follows, Going with a 150 RCT3 Revelation. I'm planning around 28 lbs complete, including a chainguide, dropper, and Shimano DX SPD's. This will be a one bike quiver for me, riding in the Salt Lake/Park City area, so I want it strong for shuttles/riding lifts at DV, but also light enough to climb 4-5k/day.
Frame Spitfire V2
Shock CC DB Air
Headset Cane Creen 110
Fork Revelation449.28
Stem Thomson X4
Bar Enve DH
Shifter XX1
R.Derailleur XX1
Chain XX1
Cassette XX1
Cranks XX1
Bottom Bracket GXP
Chainguide LG1
Brakes x0 Trail
Rotors HSX160/180
Front Hub DT 240s 15mm CenterLock
Rear Hub Dt240s 12x142 Centerlock
Rims Arch EX
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray
Nipples Wheelsmith
Tire F
Tire R
Post Lev
Saddle Silverado Pro
Grips Longneck
Pedals DX

#451 ·
Very nice! I'll be watching for this.

Is that a 28 hole Arch EX you plan to use? If not and a 32h you might consider the Pacenti TL28 rim which is wider, lighter, and eyeleted...and on sale right now for $59. Nice rim and I have the 650B version and live in the rocks of New England.

BikeLugs.com

#449 ·
Assembling mine now. Due to the non-availability of the 650B dropouts the build has changed a slight bit. Gonna be wicked. Pics up later tonight. Also, don't know if I am allowed to do this or not, but check my for sale stuff. I have some killer 650B DT Swiss wheels for sale in there that would be awesome on this bike. I just got lucky and scored some Enve 650B's so mine are for sale. Brand new.

#450 · (Edited)

built up with all the parts from my rune:

- bagged out xt/x9 drive train, still waiting for an s3 front derailleur
- 36 float (damn this thing is heavy! soon to be swapped out for a revelation methinks)
- xt/singletrack wheels with minion exo's (again, heavy as hell but they'll do. i've got some 650 drop outs ordered, and hopefully will be able to build myself a nice mid-size wheelset later this year)
- new slx brakes, work wicked good
- manitou isx-6 shock - having to pretty much relearn how to set this thing up, suspension acts much different from the rune's. range of adjustment is retarded

probably weighs closer to 35 lbs than 30, but who cares

#452 ·
32 hole here, 28 holes saves 8 g and looses 15% stiffness. kind of a no brainer. I work in the industry so can't really beat the arch EX's, and they are basically the same width as the best DH rim ever made, the Mavic 721=supreme tire profile.

Where in New England? I grew up outside Boston and spent my formative riding years in VT

#453 ·

All built up with 26 inch until the 650 dropouts come back into stock.

Current build:
Medium Spitfire in Black
2013 Fox CTD read shock
2012 RS Lyrik RC2DH freshly rebuilt and with new lowers
Easton Haven Carbon wheels
XTR Brakes
XTR Rear Mech and shifter
Point One Stem
Enve DH Carbon Bars
Race Face SixC Cranks
CB Mallets
Scwalbe Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35 in front
Schwalbe Nobby Nic Gatestar 2.25 in rear
XTR Chain
Cane Creek 40 headset
Kind Shock LEV seatpost
SDG Formula FX saddle

Impressions:
So far just ridden around the block a few times to see how it sprints, and I am very pleased. Compared to the Nomad this this really gets up and goes. Nomad had a very similar build on it too so it is a pretty decent quick comparison. And this thing manuals like crazy! I'm not very good at it, but on this bike for some reason I can, and for a while! Pretty stoked on how playful it feels. Hopefully I can get out monday for a frozen ride and really see how she rips.

Oh and it came in at an even 29lb.

#460 ·
I'm tossing up between this, a orange five and a Cotic rocket. What I really want is a versatile trail bike that is capable of a bit of Australian downhilling (pretty tame) and general AM stuff.

For the people who have one now, how playful/flickable is the bike compared to others you've ridden, is the wheelbase too long to get the bike unsettled/throw it around? And what is the suspension design like in regards to trail feed back? One thing I haven't liked about my duallys in the past is the steamroller effect they have (I ride lots of dirt jump bikes, and my main trail bike for the past year and a half has been a 650b hardtail).

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

#461 ·
Hello, first time here and first time Banshee owner. I've got the V2 spitfire, with the 12x142 650 drops. I'm a noob when it come to the 12x142 setup, so I'm a little confused by the axle that came with it? Is this the option to use, or are there others? I'm used to through-axle in the front. Just screw it in. Simple. The rear screws in, but from both sides. Is there one that operates more like the front, or is this setup just the way this rear through-axle works?

Thanks

#467 ·
My xt cranks are 2011, the old 3 spider set-up. I think the 2012 and 2013 are only 2 spider so this chainguard, I believe, wouldn't apply if you have a 2 ring set up. Maybe it does, though.

On mine, I use a gamut chainguard (minus the rollers) with the chain sandwiched between the black spire chainguard.

Benefits: less resistance because no rollers and lightweight. Chain never falls off either.

Blackspire - Blackguard | Blackspire

#470 ·
I was wondering if my old XT cranks from my V1 were gonna fit on the V2. You could just grind the granny bolts if you're not using the granny ring. What's your plan? New cranks?

It would be nice to have an extra $1200 for the XX1 and just forget about all this compatibility mess.However, I could barely come up with the money for my warranty upgrade to V2.

#475 ·
There's no need for 2 rings up front, IMO. Been doing 1x8, 1x9, 1x10, and eventually 1x11 forever. Until then, if my old XT cranks aren't gonna fit then the XCX looks like the best alternative.

Are your cranks on your V2, dual ring with the granny ring removed?

And, I guess I need to search, but what type derailleur is the V2? E-type? The banshee website says S3 type derailleur?

#476 ·
Yes, it could. The Spitfire can take Forks from 140 to 160 mm Travel! Although Keith leans more towards going with more Travel up Front, 150 or 160 mm.

Of course it depends on personal Preference, what and where you´ll plan riding the Bike.
Me, I got recommendations from Suspension-Experts to go with 34er or 35er Stanchions and more Travel.
1.) I weight 90plus Kilos full geared -> more Need for a stiffer Fork and Wheelset.
2.) My riding-style is somewhere between Allday-AM and downhill-orientated Enduro -> 160 mm Travel fits more to this Purpose and gives the right Geometry.

If you think you don´t need more, this can be an Option.

#480 ·
I am running the 2.25 in the rear. I can fit a finger in between every space except for the middle one, but there is still 7mm or so of clearance. Plenty. I have seen clearance this tight on AM bikes with 2.4 or 2.5 26 in tires. There is still an inch or more of clearance at bottom out too. Would take pics but it is dark and flash makes it hard to see. I'll be riding in some muddy/sloppy conditions tomorrow so we will see but I am not worried about it at all. You could fit a 2.35 back there I bet, would be tight, but it would fit.

I will still probably pick up the 650b dropouts when they are available though b/c For riding DH I will be running 2.4's for sure and would like the extra clearance. But for trail riding, this will suffice for sure.

#484 ·
@ Dlongb13:
Awesome Bike man, much better looking now than with the Lyrik, which is a great Fork, no doubt. :thumbsup:
Interesting to hear the 650B-2.25 Schwalbes fit in the 26-Dropouts with plenty of about 7 mm Clearance. Want to go with Hans Dampf 2.25, so hopefully should fit in the 26ers too. My Spitfire is going to look the same way, some other Parts of course, with -1 or -1,5 Deg Angleset, black Flite and white BOS Deville (arrived today, yipee). My new 650B custom Wheelset (WTB Frequency i23, Tune Hubs) should arrive this Week, too, so I can start building. My Distributor told me yesterday that the CCDB-Air will come in late February, till then the Evolver has to prove it´s Quality again.
So excited, but uff ... keeping patient is getting harder and harder ... :)

@ bhaithcock:
Boomforeal takes it the funny way :p, but seriously: Fork-Choice really depends on your Riding-Style and ... what I was told(!) ... your Weight. Same for the Wheelset. Initially planned the Arch EX Rims, for the weight-savings, and was recommended to go with Flow EX or WTB. Suggestions according the Fork went the same Route. Had the chance to testride a 150 mm Revelation, nice working Fork, but the lack of Stiffness overall felt uncomfortable, at least for me.
Decide what you want to explore with the Bike in the Future ...

#487 ·
@ Checkit:
No it isn´t. Feel free to ask the Banshee-Guys if you are allowed to drill it when it´s done professionally. ;)

@ Dlongb13:
Thank you man. I must confess that my Build is much over the initially planned Budget ... but well ... you know ... :eek:
I honestly have to say that I´m heavy in love with your Spitfire, and the beautiful red one from Strahan Loken. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.