Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Hey filbike,
    Well here's my thoughts- certainly not saying what's true for me will be the same for you or anybody else.
    I spent 2010-11 riding a yelli screamy and this season on the prime. Rode both bikes on everything from cascades XC to BC corridor FR trails. So....

There's a lot of hype about what 29'ers do/don't do well, but I think it's mostly bad info. Basically IMO most all the negatives people associate with 29'ers are due to poor geometry, particularly long wheelbases & chainstays- not the wheelsize. The Yelli was actually more nimble than many 26'ers I've owned. For AM hardtails, I just don't see much point in 650b, since 29'er wheelbase & chainstay lengths aren't necessarily longer than 26". Adding full suspension, longer travel and front derailuers to the mix, and I can see where smaller wheels are easier to design around, without the wheelbase getting too long.

So the interesting thing to me about the Prime vs. 650b Spitfire, is that the wheelbase lengths are pretty similar (though the spitty does have longer reach). Based on that I don't think the spitty is going to have any huge advantage cornering. On the flipside, I don't see 27.5" wheels having quite the advantages of 29" when it comes to carrying speed or rolling over junk.

So my .02c, if you were shorter, rode a lot of twisty trails or enjoy jumping, the 650b spitty probably will have some advantages. But if you're willing to manhandle the bike in corners & in the air, the prime will have advantages elsewhere. And really, it's an awesome riding bike. So my vote would be Prime.

This is all speculation and I would love to ride both bikes back-to-back... but I am pretty sure Id prefer the Prime, personally. I've adjusted my riding style to bigger wheels, there's nothing I miss about 26'ers, so 650b doesn't hold much allure to me.

mtbr member
    Thanks FM,
    you confirm my thoughts about the Prime, and I agree whit you point to point, at least theorically as I tried a 29er just a few moments in pretty flat land.
    My only concern is about building a lighter bike.

Spitty frame should be considerably lighter than Prime (around 2 pounds I think) and sure same strenght and stiffness wheels, are lighter:
    Other components will come from my Rune.
    Let's put in that I save money for fork, these should be the points for spitty choice.
    That said, will the 29er advantages overcome my Spitfire points?
    I need to test a 29er seriously.

....but you know what? I'm sure whichever I pick I'll be super happy
    both are awesome bikes

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    That said, will the 29er advantages overcome my Spitfire points?
    I need to test a 29er seriously.
    I agree you can't really go wrong
    As for the weight- another 29'er myth is that wheels are heavier. due to the shallower angle of the bigger wheels, pinch flats are way less of an issue...and there's more traction so you don't need as much tread. 750g 29'er tires ride like 900g 26" tires. im sure the same is partially true for 650b.

Test ride would be great but there's not many 29'ers that ride like the Prime.

mtbr member
    Like many, dyin' to hear some reviews on the Spitty at 27.5

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Well, 29 er fans like to say there are no drawbacks.
    Did I say that?

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    So my .02c, if you were shorter, rode a lot of twisty trails or enjoy jumping, the 650b spitty probably will have some advantages. But if you're willing to manhandle the bike in corners & in the air, the prime will have advantages elsewhere.
    Look it's simple as that, if filbike had said he rides a lot of tight flow/jump lines, I would have steered him towards 650b or 26", due to the physics you mentioned. I ride a fair bit of that stuff and 29'ers generally require more manhandling in the air and in tight corners. Again, I feel that's the wheelbase more than the wheelsize, and there's pro's elswhere.

It's OK to be a "fan" of more than one wheelsize or riding style.
    Horses for courses.

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Hey filbike,
    Well here's my thoughts- certainly not saying what's true for me will be the same for you or anybody else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ugh, submitted my claim for the KS upgrade program just before Trident shut down for their Christmas/winter break. At least I got the confirmation e-mail that I qualify. The wait is gonna raise my blood pressure!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Sure, agreed!
    I spent sunday riding jump lines & tight slalom-y DH pump trails at the local skills park, on my Prime. It can be done! But it's sort of like trail riding on a FR bike. Overkill and slow at times, compared to a tighter bike (i.e. maybe a 27.5 spitty).

Just wanted to make it clear that although I really dig the Prime, I wouldn't push it as the ultimate bike for all uses. It excels at long raw high-speed backcountry descents, that's what I enjoy most, for that I'll make some concessions on the manicured skills park trails.
    Last edited by FM; 12-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty View Post
    Ugh, submitted my claim for the KS upgrade program just before Trident shut down for their Christmas/winter break. At least I got the confirmation e-mail that I qualify. The wait is gonna raise my blood pressure!
    Mmmm I never got any confirmation email whatsoever after I submitted my claim on Dec 17th....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Yeah, Build-Up made by german Distributor Mr. B..
    Steerer will cut down, rear Brake gets longer Cable and a lower external Cup (Fox Talas with "only" 15 cm Travel).

Edith: Weight is 12,3 kg!
    NoStyle...any chance you can get a ride report from your distributor since this is still the only V2 Spitty I'm aware of built up and about ready to ride.

I'm sure I'm not the only one chomping at the bit for more info. Rune and Prime are pretty well covered now. Time for the Spitfire (26 or 650 no matter)
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Hard funkinī Kraut
    I can try to get some Riding-Report from Bernhard, the owner of the red Spitfire.
    You can bet that Iīm excited to build up and ride mine, but missing parts with lots of delay keep me patiently on the Wildcard
    All I can do at the moment is buying a scale to give some weigths, thatīs all ...

But honestly, why hesitate? You can read that the Runes and Primes are doing so damn well - so should the Spitfire. Go buy one, before the third, fourth or fifth Batches are sold out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty View Post
    Same here; I received the offer email from Trident on Dec 11th and replied on the 14th, but haven't heard back yet. I just want to get my V2 Spitfire ordered so I can start disassembling my V1 and figuring out what new parts to get.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    Mmmm I never got any confirmation email whatsoever after I submitted my claim on Dec 17th....
    It took about 2.5 weeks for me to get a reply, so hang in there.

mtbr member
    For all of you guys waiting on Email replies from Trident there is one dude handling the whole warranty/upgrade situation. He is swamped.

Be patient he will get back to you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the update! Figured that was the case. Submitted mine Nov 1st and I've been dying. Luckily I got him to follow up that my claim was submitted properly. Here's to a Banshee New Year on a V2

Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    For all of you guys waiting on Email replies from Trident there is one dude handling the whole warranty/upgrade situation. He is swamped.

Be patient he will get back to you.

Sled of Lead.
    Anyone besides NoStyle even have a frame yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am completely torn between getting a new Spitfire or Rune.
    Hopefully someone can comment and help others on a decision too
    I'm 180cm and have ridden a Medium Rune with 60mm stem for 3 years and its just the best bike i've ever ridden. It just felt perfect the 1st time i sat on it.
    I love the ridding position (although perhaps a little cramped when climbing) but i can effortlessly lift the front when decending over drop offs, manual over rollers and just manouvre the bike in the air without thinking, i really dont wont to lose that ability above all else.
    If i get the spitfire I am just a little concerned it may have that feeling the front just tips away in front of you when going off drops etc. (I bought a new Med Spec Pitch a few years back and quite frankly hated it, i sold it within 5 months and got a second hand SC Bullit and loved that)
    So basically if this V2 spitfire has similar characteristics as the old rune I would love to know.
    I really dont need 160mm travel, i see the new spitfire being more robust than the old rune anyway, and a fraction lighter and more effeceint so I like the idea of heading in that direction?
    Any thoughts anyone?
    PS anyone used the fox 34 160mm? I have heard it tends to brake dive and that is a poor trait that i found with my 36vanR till i converted to RC2. I am considering this if i get the spitfire.
    Any thoughts out there?

mtbr member
    TokRot, you might consider the Xfusion slant which is about 2/3 the price of a 34 ctd float and is supposed to be available sometime this month. However, I think it only has open/lockout + rebound for damping adjustments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yea there are a few forks I havnt really considered, I think I will do one thing at a time at this stage so will look at all fork options in future. First the frame and i will use my van36, its been a great fork. I'm just becoming a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    geometry chart i got somewhere on the v2 spitfire lists a 2.25" stroke shock - but in the vital piece john says the new frames use a 2.5" stroke shock. which is it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by boomforeal View Post
    geometry chart i got somewhere on the v2 spitfire lists a 2.25" stroke shock - but in the vital piece john says the new frames use a 2.5" stroke shock. which is it?
    Its a 7.875 x 2.25" shock - my mistake in the Vital slideshow

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeJon View Post
    ah thanks john. you didn't sound positive in the slideshow, is why i figured it was worth asking

new bike looks rad btw. dying to see one (mine?!) in black

mtbr member
    Have we gotten any official frame weights on the new Spitty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeJon View Post
    Whew! This is the info I can here looking for. I was worried it was a custom size shock and the CCDB air I have to put on it wouldn't fit...but it will. Now time to buy some XX1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm gonna get one of these, maybe, but I want the SRAM XX1 crankset. Will this be possible? if so, what BB should I be looking at(GXP?) and what Q-factor(156?)?

gracias, in advance...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So I have read the entire thread and any other info I could find on this bike and I still have some questions with sizing. I have been riding a large 2012 Nomad for the past season, I initially started off with a medium but found the top tube to be to short, and traded it out for a large. I am 5' 10.5" and I always find trouble finding a bike that fits me properly. The large nomad was great when riding DH and high speed situations, but didn't have the playfulness I have found when riding medium sized bikes. I have also ridden a 18.5 2012 Trek Remedy, which is actually a 17.5, and found it to fit me pretty well expect again, kinda shot top tube.

So after reading this thread it sounds like the medium has a longer than average top tube and reach so the medium should be good for me.

To add, I have shorter legs, 31inch inseam, but long torso and arms.

Also wondering which XT front mech people are running. Is it the E2-type or the direct mount? I am thinking it is the E2? Shimano FD-M785-E2 to be exact.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Dlongb13; 01-06-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast