Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 2504

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

  1. #901
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Here's my large Spitty in raw and a touch of blue (yeah I like blue). Running the 26" drops for now and waiting for the new revised 650b drops to become available. Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3" tires fit fine (actually Schwalbe NN 2.35's fit but very little clearance at the uprights). 30lbs as it sits now. Running the high/steep setting which with these tires and fork translates to a 13 5/8" BB height and between 67.5 and 68 degree HA. Works good in the rocks/roots of New England

    2013 Spitfire-img_0308r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0315r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0310r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0316r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0317r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0318r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0323r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0322r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0304r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0305r.jpg2013 Spitfire-img_0306r.jpg

  2. #902
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    That looks sweet! Love the blue highlights.

  3. #903
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Congratulation Skidad, that Spitfire is looking really good - like the Parts and Color-Sheme very much!
    Well, it took a long Time to get this Baby ready to ride - hope you enjoy it!!!

  4. #904
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I originally really wanted the black frame but none were available in my size so I went with the raw. Super happy with my choice now as it does look really nice and play's well with the blue stuff. Should clean up easier also being clear coated.

    No Style yeah to long for sure with this build. Kind of made an agreement with myself to sell off my Jamis and Cannondale (in order to fund this build) before completing it. That, and a dirt bike and hiking hobby (among others) kill more time and money. Only 30 miles so far but man am I impressed with the rear suspension. It's what I had hoped for after reading many reviews and e-riding suspension kinematic charts from Antonio O Suna's linkage design blog site. Now time to just ride, tweak, and enjoy.

  5. #905
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I originally really wanted the black frame but none were available in my size so I went with the raw. Super happy with my choice now as it does look really nice and play's well with the blue stuff. Should clean up easier also being clear coated.

    No Style yeah to long for sure with this build. Kind of made an agreement with myself to sell off my Jamis and Cannondale (in order to fund this build) before completing it. That, and a dirt bike and hiking hobby (among others) kill more time and money. Only 30 miles so far but man am I impressed with the rear suspension. It's what I had hoped for after reading many reviews and e-riding suspension kinematic charts from Antonio O Suna's linkage design blog site. Now time to just ride, tweak, and enjoy.
    It`s really nice, could u please tell the final weight??
    I've ordered a 2014's frame and I am worried about the final weight because it connot be more than 13.5 Kf

  6. #906
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by berenco View Post
    It`s really nice, could u please tell the final weight??
    I've ordered a 2014's frame and I am worried about the final weight because it connot be more than 13.5 Kf
    Weight is 30.7lbs now with the dropper post (13.9kg). Way's to lighten it would be a carbon bar, lighter hubs (Hadley rear Hope EVO front now), lighter rims or carbon rims (Stans Flows now), no dropper post, lighter tires maybe. What else I don't know as the drive train is XX1, the fork is 4.1lbs, the brakes are SLX and the pedals are Straitline Amps. All reasonably light stuff. You should be able to meet your goal weight with very careful selection of parts. I was personally hoping this was gonna be under 30lbs and if I eventually get the new Derby carbon rims and add a carbon bar it just might be.

    Derby 40mm wide carbon 650b rims WIDE rims

  7. #907
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Weight is 30.7lbs now with the dropper post (13.9kg). Way's to lighten it would be a carbon bar, lighter hubs (Hadley rear Hope EVO front now), lighter rims or carbon rims (Stans Flows now), no dropper post, lighter tires maybe. What else I don't know as the drive train is XX1, the fork is 4.1lbs, the brakes are SLX and the pedals are Straitline Amps. All reasonably light stuff. You should be able to meet your goal weight with very careful selection of parts. I was personally hoping this was gonna be under 30lbs and if I eventually get the new Derby carbon rims and add a carbon bar it just might be.

    Derby 40mm wide carbon 650b rims WIDE rims
    Thanks skidad it'a a good weight
    My setting will be as follows:
    Frame L with cane creek dbs 2014
    rock shox pike 26''
    rock shox reverb stealth
    complete sram XX1
    brakes shimano xtr
    mavic st
    enve dh bar cut at 76mm
    Tires high roller fr 2.35 and larsen 2.35 2play rear
    stem syntace megaforce 30mm
    selle italia slr
    Crank brothers mallet DH

    I think the weight will be between 13.5-14kg

  8. #908
    spinner
    Reputation: Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    186
    That's a beautiful build skidad.

    I'm getting parts together now in preparation for the arrival of my '14 frame , just wondering what size chainstay protector you used ?

    Thanks !

  9. #909
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    That's a beautiful build skidad.

    I'm getting parts together now in preparation for the arrival of my '14 frame , just wondering what size chainstay protector you used ?

    Thanks !
    I had it just kicking around from my Jamis Dakar B2 but it fits good and pretty much covers the entire stay. It's actually for 29'er bikes and the 650b Jamis had 17.7" stays

    Neoprene Chainstay Protector - 29er Jumbo | Lizard Skins

    I see they have it in blue now

  10. #910
    spinner
    Reputation: Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    186
    Thanks a heap ! Good to have some dimensions to work with.

  11. #911
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    That's a beautiful build skidad.

    I'm getting parts together now in preparation for the arrival of my '14 frame , just wondering what size chainstay protector you used ?

    Thanks !
    Use Frame Wrap. Fits perfect to everything and looks great! Long lasting too

  12. #912
    spinner
    Reputation: Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    186
    Yeah I have used frame wrap for the last few years but thought I'd try a neoprene cover again. Also searching for other ideas , I discovered 3M 2228 mastic tape today. Looks like a great option too.

  13. #913
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NCBigHit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    426
    Big fan of the mastic tape. Looks really stealth on the black ano frame as well.

  14. #914
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Here is my Spitfire again, with Modifications on the Seattube, ISCG-Tabs and BB-Shell, after switching from Size M to L. Picture was taken somewhere back in May 2013 ...

    Since then no changes, except going for a C-Guide-Type Rubber Tube from Gardena, just to prevent Chain from rubbing downside the lower Yoke. No other Chainguiding required, so I will leave it like this.

    Maybe switching to a slightly wider (780-800 mm Bars) and shorter (35-40 mm Stem) Cockpit, 1x10 Custom-Drivetrain with 11-42 Cassette and XT-Clutch Derailleur and a Hydraulic Seatpost as upcoming Upgrades.

    I often switch between the CCDB Air and my Evolver-ISX. Both awesome Shocks to compliment the KS-Link-Suspension. Tough Decision which one to keep and to sell the other.

    Apart from that: Still the very best Trailbike for me. Had a great Season so far and Iīm shure there will be great Seasons on my Spitfire to come in the next Years!!!


  15. #915
    krj
    krj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    117
    How tall you are ?

    Why did you switch from m to l ?

  16. #916
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Iīm 180/181 cm tall, with 83/84 cm Inseam.

    I always was on Medium-Size Frames, but my Riding-Style turnes more and more towards AM/Enduro/Allday-Touring. 50% Climbing, 50% going flat or down, with lots of Pedalling. For this Medium was a really good fit, but had the Feeling that a large Frame could slightly do better on long Climbs and can give more Stability in steep technical Sections.
    This is my first large Framesize ever and it turned out just like this! I have to say that the Medium Spitfire was equipped with a -1 Deg Angleset (like the Rune), the large now has -0,5 Deg, 26 Dropouts and Fork and works pretty well for me in every Aspect.

    While the V2 Banshees do have a nicely dialed Forward-Style-Geometry, itīs easy to go with the next larger Framesize and reduce Stem-Length if necessary. The longer Reach and Wheelbase has one single and great Effect: Your Position and Weight over the Bike is pretty damn centered, which makes it very controllable in any Situation. So itīs not less nimble - just less nervous! Especially when the Trails gets rough, steep and fast ...

  17. #917
    krj
    krj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Iīm 180/181 cm tall, with 83/84 cm Inseam.

    I always was on Medium-Size Frames, but my Riding-Style turnes more and more towards AM/Enduro/Allday-Touring. 50% Climbing, 50% going flat or down, with lots of Pedalling. For this Medium was a really good fit, but had the Feeling that a large Frame could slightly do better on long Climbs and can give more Stability in steep technical Sections.
    This is my first large Framesize ever and it turned out just like this! I have to say that the Medium Spitfire was equipped with a -1 Deg Angleset (like the Rune), the large now has -0,5 Deg, 26 Dropouts and Fork and works pretty well for me in every Aspect.

    While the V2 Banshees do have a nicely dialed Forward-Style-Geometry, itīs easy to go with the next larger Framesize and reduce Stem-Length if necessary. The longer Reach and Wheelbase has one single and great Effect: Your Position and Weight over the Bike is pretty damn centered, which makes it very controllable in any Situation. So itīs not less nimble - just less nervous! Especially when the Trails gets rough, steep and fast ...
    Thanks a lot, very helpfull for my size selection.

  18. #918
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by krj View Post
    Thanks a lot, very helpfull for my size selection.
    Youīre welcome!
    Well, from my personal experience there are this two major Aspects to think about:
    - A sligthly longer Bike is not less playfull, itīs just less nervous in most Situations.
    - If you are caught between two Sizes, go with the next larger one and reduce Stem-Length.

  19. #919
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    I have a Rune too in size L with 30 stem and I'm 1'77m It works perfect and i love it. before I have a jekyll in M with 60 stem and I fell outside the bike I Sorry for my English I'm spanish boy.

  20. #920
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    Same here, on my old Tracer I went from a size M with 80mm stem to an L with a 60mm stem and felt much more comfortable and stable. Now I have ordered a 2014 Spitty L and will start out with the 60mm stem and 740mm bars. Should be here next month. So looking forward to building this one up.

  21. #921
    krj
    krj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by berenco View Post
    I have a Rune too in size L with 30 stem and I'm 1'77m It works perfect and i love it. before I have a jekyll in M with 60 stem and I fell outside the bike I Sorry for my English I'm spanish boy.
    Great thanks a lot

  22. #922
    krj
    krj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    117
    Thks, it sounds I 'd trade my M Blur LT with a Banshee ( spitfire or rune decision still on the way)

  23. #923
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    I'm trying to figure out sizing for a V2 frame. I'm in between size M and L. Pictured below is my v1, medium. Thats with the Reverb all the way up for climbing, and a 90mm stem. While I dont feel cramped with a 90mm stem, I'm wondering how the new bike would be with something a lot shorter. I'm 5'11.

    2013 Spitfire-v1spitty.jpg

  24. #924
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by blast_off View Post
    I'm trying to figure out sizing for a V2 frame. I'm in between size M and L. Pictured below is my v1, medium. Thats with the Reverb all the way up for climbing, and a 90mm stem. While I dont feel cramped with a 90mm stem, I'm wondering how the new bike would be with something a lot shorter. I'm 5'11.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v1spitty.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	834441
    I'd recommend a Large V2 with 50mm stem for you. There are significant benefits in using a shorter stem on this bike, and the sizing should work well for you.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  25. #925
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I'd recommend a Large V2 with 50mm stem for you. There are significant benefits in using a shorter stem on this bike, and the sizing should work well for you.
    thanks buddy!

  26. #926
    nmb
    nmb is offline
    nuno borralho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    hi!

    Went from a ano black V1 to a ano black V2.

    I still don't like all those white accents on the frame. V1 was more blackish...

    Any way of removing all that white? looks like paint over the ano alu...

    another thing. recently my 142x12 axle keeps getting loose after a while. should I use blue loctite on it? It came clean with no glue...

    thanks. I need to get a torque wrench...

  27. #927
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27

    AW: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by nmb View Post
    hi!

    Went from a ano black V1 to a ano black V2.

    Any way of removing all that white? looks like paint over the ano alu...
    On my V1 Aceton was perfekt to remove all paint...

  28. #928
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post

    Since then no changes, except going for a C-Guide-Type Rubber Tube from Gardena, just to prevent Chain from rubbing downside the lower Yoke. No other Chainguiding required, so I will leave it like this.
    Hi!
    could you please post a picture showing how you have mounted this Gardena Rubber tube. I have just (almost) finished my build and I am also facing this problem.
    After installing my new lyrik fork I will show a picture of my new bike. After some rides with fast and technical downhills I am stunned by its performance :-)

    Cheers,
    Thomas

  29. #929
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Its not looking pretty sexy, but works fine, easy Installment, cheap and quiet ...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-foto.jpg  


  30. #930
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by nmb View Post

    another thing. recently my 142x12 axle keeps getting loose after a while. should I use blue loctite on it? It came clean with no glue...

    thanks. I need to get a torque wrench...
    A 2-12Nm torque wrench really is a tool that every serious mountain biker should have. I've seen so many parts like stems crack, and bolts chew due to being over tightened.

    You should ensure that your axle is liberally greased before putting it through the wheel. Some loctitie paste or PTFE tape around the threads will help prefevt it from loosening. Do the same to the lockbolt just to help prevent that loosening if you wish.

    As long as the lockbolt is in place the axle cannot loosen significantly.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

  31. #931
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jlf.ski.bike.sail's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    171
    NoStyle, How many miles of pedaling have you put that jerry rig through? I've been riding a clutch rear derailleur with no lower pulley/lower chain guide. I havent had any problems with my chain dropping there, but it is noisy and definitely eats away through my chain stay protection.

    I think on my next rig ill go back to using the lower pulley.

  32. #932
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Hmmm, I canīt quote a Number of Miles. But I have spend almost every Weekend and some Extra-Rides during Holidays with this Setup since May this Year. Letīs say 20-30 Kilometers per Ride. This Gardena Garden-Hose-Rubber shows almost no Sign of Wear! And if so, just cut the next Piece and zip-tie it to the Stays.
    This is a simple way to keep the Chain in Device, if necessary, like a Bionicon C-Guide, but alot cheaper. But I havenīt experienced any Chaindrop - and Iīm using a non-Clutch-Derailleur. Itīs more a "Savety" for the lower Yoke than Device, but does both very well ...

  33. #933
    nmb
    nmb is offline
    nuno borralho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    A 2-12Nm torque wrench really is a tool that every serious mountain biker should have. I've seen so many parts like stems crack, and bolts chew due to being over tightened.

    You should ensure that your axle is liberally greased before putting it through the wheel. Some loctitie paste or PTFE tape around the threads will help prefevt it from loosening. Do the same to the lockbolt just to help prevent that loosening if you wish.

    As long as the lockbolt is in place the axle cannot loosen significantly.
    thank you Keith. since I had several issues with the V1, on the V2 I didn't touch a single bolt yet, except on the trail on the rear axle. The axle was free of locktite so I never added any. the two or three times it happened, I just tightened with my minitool so I'm sure I didn't over tightened it. lockbolt also gets loosened...

    I need a torque wrench badly

    Keith, how about removing the white paint except the banshee lettering. any input?

  34. #934
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jlf.ski.bike.sail's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    171
    very cool! i might have to try that out...

  35. #935
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post
    very cool! i might have to try that out...
    Yes, simple and effective for the Cost of a few Cent ... since then no Reason to go with any Chain-Device, except maybe a Tacco or Bash to prevent Chainring-Damage

  36. #936
    tgj
    tgj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3
    First off, I feel I need to apologize in advance for another "What size should I get post?", but let me explain...

    I am very new to mountain biking, and have started to look at buying my first bike. I have an opportunity to pick up an XL Spitfire V2, new in the box at a steep discount, from a friend who ordered one and now needs to sell it due to some recent financial troubles.

    I currently am borrowing an old 2004 21" Giant Yukon from my work, and have been having a blast riding around the many trails in my neighborhood.

    I am 6'2", 33.5" inseam, 26" arm length. I also tip the scales at 220lbs. My question is, is this bike going to be too big for me? I wouldn't normally have looked at a banshee, but it is like getting a BMW at a Chevy price.

    Thanks in advance

    tl;dr Newbie can get an XL spitfire cheap, wants to know if the bike is too big for 6'2" 33.5" inseam

  37. #937
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    428
    I'm 6'2" and have a Spitfire V2 in XL. It's perfect. With your fairly long arms you'll be fine, and if it feels big go with a shorter stem and center mount seat-post...

  38. #938
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Does anyone else get a significant amount of creaking from somehwere in the rear suspension area? I'm posting on behalf of my friend with a V2 in large, and he has a creaking that we can't seem to track down and I'm wondering if it is a consitent problem. Everything seems to be torqued properly, but I might be missing something. Or maybe it is just normal, I admit to being used to bikes with a lot less pivots.

  39. #939
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Wherenīt there Tolerance-Issues with the Shock-Bushings that causes this Creaking? Happened to some Riders with first Generation CCDBs and got new Bushings under Warranty ...

  40. #940
    tgj
    tgj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    I'm 6'2" and have a Spitfire V2 in XL. It's perfect. With your fairly long arms you'll be fine, and if it feels big go with a shorter stem and center mount seat-post...
    Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

  41. #941
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Wherenīt there Tolerance-Issues with the Shock-Bushings that causes this Creaking? Happened to some Riders with first Generation CCDBs and got new Bushings under Warranty ...
    That's a thought, though he's on a Fox CTD. The creaking is noticable under hard pedaling. I can compare the bushings to others we have around.

  42. #942
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,373
    Grease the seat tube/post liberally before you do anything else!

    I had some really nasty creaking this summer on my prime and ended up pulling the entire bike apart only to find it was the seatpost. easy to forget these days with dropper posts...

  43. #943
    nmb
    nmb is offline
    nuno borralho
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    77
    seat post creaking is easy to diagnose. just test it unseated

  44. #944
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theraggyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    39

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    ive had my spitfire with fox ctd built up for 4 months now and in that time ive had three instances of creaking that all sounded like they were coming from the bb/linkage area under heavy pedaling force. The first was cured by nipping up the hope bottom bracket. the 2nd turned out to be that the mech hanger needed nipping up and the third was the chainring bolts , so worth checking those three if you havent already.

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

  45. #945
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14
    Thanks, I'll check all those. I did check that the seat post was greased, and it does occur while unseated. Had some problems with the rear mech hanger, so that's a likely culprit.

  46. #946
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17
    Try removing and cleaning your seat post and seat tube. This reduced creaking on mine but i still do have a minor sqeak i cant pin point may be my crankset.

  47. #947
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Just subscribing to this thread. I ordered a stealth black 2014 Spitfire that is due to arrive in November. I had originally ordered a Rune but changed my order to a more versatile spitfire.

    Parts list that I've ordered thus far:
    Rockshox Pike 150mm
    Rockshox Reverb Dropper stealth
    XX1 Groupset
    Chris King Hubs
    Chris King Headset
    Thomson Carbon Bars

    I'm still trying to decide on which 650b carbon rims I'll be going with.

  48. #948
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    Just subscribing to this thread. I ordered a stealth black 2014 Spitfire that is due to arrive in November. I had originally ordered a Rune but changed my order to a more versatile spitfire.

    Parts list that I've ordered thus far:
    Rockshox Pike 150mm
    Rockshox Reverb Dropper stealth
    XX1 Groupset
    Chris King Hubs
    Chris King Headset
    Thomson Carbon Bars

    I'm still trying to decide on which 650b carbon rims I'll be going with.
    Chris king doesn't make hubs for XX1...

  49. #949
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Chris king doesn't make hubs for XX1...
    Thank you for that handy nugget of information! Any suggestions with groupset?

    Maybe the beautiful Chris King hubs need to be sent back.

  50. #950
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    Thank you for that handy nugget of information! Any suggestions with groupset?

    Maybe the beautiful Chris King hubs need to be sent back.
    You can still run 1x10 or 2x10 with the CK hubs. But it doesn't look like CK will offer xx1 hubs anytime soon.
    If you want to run 1x11 (which would be my choice as well) you will need to look elsewhere. Most of the hub manufacturers have an option for xx1.

  51. #951
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    You can still run 1x10 or 2x10 with the CK hubs. But it doesn't look like CK will offer xx1 hubs anytime soon.
    If you want to run 1x11 (which would be my choice as well) you will need to look elsewhere. Most of the hub manufacturers have an option for xx1.
    Yea hopefully my LBS will swap the CK hubs for an alternative.

  52. #952
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    Thank you for that handy nugget of information! Any suggestions with groupset?

    Maybe the beautiful Chris King hubs need to be sent back.
    Sounds like you have a sweet build planned for the Spitty

    If you're looking for a high engagement hub I would suggest a Hadley (which come in many pretty colors and have the XX1 driver body available and I'm currently using ) laced to some new Derby 40mm carbon rims. These come in at less than 450 grams (less than the original Stans Flow 650b rim), and the price is right not to mention what it can do to a tire footprint.

    650b x 40mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening

    Home, wide rims, carbon fiber rims, mountain bike rims

  53. #953
    spinner
    Reputation: Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    186
    Here's some of the collection of new/used parts awaiting the arrival of my 2014 frame. (just read on FB they have started to leave the factory !)
    2014 Banshee Spitfire build - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by Pinky; 10-02-2013 at 01:04 AM. Reason: some grammar would be nice

  54. #954
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115

  55. #955
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Thanks again for the heads up as I am notorious for ordering parts that are mismatched or completely wrong and it ends up costing me a packet!

    I swapped the Chris King hubs for some cheap black Hope hubs that I will swap out once Chris King pull their finger out and realize that XX1 is the future.

  56. #956
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    Just subscribing to this thread. I ordered a stealth black 2014 Spitfire that is due to arrive in November. I had originally ordered a Rune but changed my order to a more versatile spitfire.

    Parts list that I've ordered thus far:
    Rockshox Pike 150mm
    Rockshox Reverb Dropper stealth
    XX1 Groupset
    Chris King Hubs
    Chris King Headset
    Thomson Carbon Bars

    I'm still trying to decide on which 650b carbon rims I'll be going with.
    Hi can I just ask if you're expecting your frame in November - are you in UK? I've ordered a rune and have been told from the distributors mouth that the frame is due to be available mid-October. I could really do with knowing exactly when as I not getting any riding done at the moment! If the frames are going to be behind schedule then we need to know. I could do with an exact date so I can make plans.

  57. #957
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Hi can I just ask if you're expecting your frame in November - are you in UK? I've ordered a rune and have been told from the distributors mouth that the frame is due to be available mid-October. I could really do with knowing exactly when as I not getting any riding done at the moment! If the frames are going to be behind schedule then we need to know. I could do with an exact date so I can make plans.
    I am from Australia and our Banshee distributor told me mid November. There was something on facebook about them leaving the factory this week so I doubt they would clear customs this month.

  58. #958
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    Thanks for that link. Nice review and I think he pretty much nailed it

    My Spitty is set up 650b and more trail oriented than for the downs (high/steep settings) and the thing is really wonderful.

    This quote from the review is so true and exactly what I was hoping for from the KS Link.....and my tires aren't even setup tubless yet.

    When pedalling uphill on single track, flow-killing rocks cowered before me and roots shuddered in my presence. The traction was superb – I found myself simply low gear crawling over things I had no right to be getting over at the speed I was going.

  59. #959
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Mine again, with a slightly wider, shorter, lower and lighter Cockpit (new Bar/Stem).



    My Setup seems to be more AM-orientated compared to Skidadīs Spitty, but thatīs the good Thing about it: Set up as you like it!

  60. #960
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,169
    Yup, between flip chip settings, fork choice, wheel and tire size you can go from a 13-14" BB height and 66-68 degree HA and about anywhere in between. Very versatile bike that should suit many riders and terrain types. I'm sure there will be those that complain it's a little heavy for a 140mm bike (in reality it's really not when I see some of the weights of other similar bikes) but it certainly doesn't feel that way to me and pedals great.

  61. #961
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    Here is my Spitfire again, with Modifications on the Seattube, ISCG-Tabs and BB-Shell, after switching from Size M to L. Picture was taken somewhere back in May 2013 ...
    Hi! What kind of modification, of which you speak? Thanks in advance!

    P.S. Nice bike setup

  62. #962
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Thank you!

    Modifications:
    - Honed down ISCG-Tabs about 2-3 mm, for Clearance between Dual-Chainring-Crank and Chain-Device.
    - 2 mm Hole downside the BB-Shell, to get Water out of the Frame.
    - Seattube cut down from 47 to 45 cm Length and a new Clamping Slot.

    Please Note: Some of this will void Warranty! I donīt care because the Frame is durable and will be kept for many upcoming Years.

  63. #963
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    428
    love this bike!

    2013 Spitfire-10161086033_131e1d995f_c.jpg

  64. #964
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181
    Just curious: anyone made the switch from a large dw 5-spot to the spitfire v2? If so, which size did you choose? I'm leaning toward medium...

  65. #965
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36
    Just ordered a large raw Spitfire, it will be here on Thursday. Should have it built for a weekend test ride and photo session.

    Q: I need to order a new headset and need some recommendations. I was thinking about a Cane Creek but not sure what to get.


    Found a tool on the Cane Creek site that helped me find the correct HS.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Drewm26; 10-14-2013 at 12:43 PM.

  66. #966
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    21
    Hi, Finally received my S size Spitty. Super sweat bike.

    Anyone try running a 650b fork on 26" wheelset? Any major impact on handling or geo? As i plan to upgrade my aging '08 Talas 36 fork but my Mavic 721 still going strong.

    Looking at Pike and Sweep. Both 650b version

    Thanks

  67. #967
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    No problem to run 26" wheels in a 650b fork as long as you watch the a-c measurement around 545mm should be fine. Keith's preference is 26" @ 160mm or 27.5" @ 150mm. If you ran 26" in a 150mm 650b fork for a while its not going ruin the geometry.

    Oh and please post pics when you get a chance.

  68. #968
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    21
    inkisink, Thanks for the advise. This is my 3 rides old Spitfire

    2013 Spitfire-spitfire-4.jpg

  69. #969
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jon123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    878
    Hey eightyfive,

    If you go this route (650b fork/26 wheels) can you keep us posted. I'm really interested.
    I'm thinking of getting a Spitfire or Rune frame and Pike 150mm 650b fork, but continuing to run my 26 wheels until I get a new 650b wheelset.

    Jon

  70. #970
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    Just curious: anyone made the switch from a large dw 5-spot to the spitfire v2? If so, which size did you choose? I'm leaning toward medium...
    I have never ridden a DW 5.Spot, but comparing Geometries between a large Spot and medium Spitfire this Size could be a good fit.
    ETT is 599 mm vs 590 mm (Spitfire), so not much Difference. The Reach of the Spitty is 427 mm vs 406 mm of the Spot, which makes a bigger Difference and leads to the Feeling the Spitfire is longer when Standing. But it has the great Benefit of being more centered in the Bike.

    What are your Body-Measurements? Prefered Stem-Length? Best Thing to do is demoride a medium Spitfire to be sure!

  71. #971
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    I have never ridden a DW 5.Spot, but comparing Geometries between a large Spot and medium Spitfire this Size could be a good fit.
    ETT is 599 mm vs 590 mm (Spitfire), so not much Difference. The Reach of the Spitty is 427 mm vs 406 mm of the Spot, which makes a bigger Difference and leads to the Feeling the Spitfire is longer when Standing. But it has the great Benefit of being more centered in the Bike.

    What are your Body-Measurements? Prefered Stem-Length? Best Thing to do is demoride a medium Spitfire to be sure!
    I did the same comparison but i have a hard time figuring out how it will feel. I'd like to keep my current 50mm stem. I'm ~5'10" and 33" inseam ... Always between M and L frames and I've never really settled on either. I'd love to try a medium, but here in East coast Canada, Banshee dealers are non-existent!

  72. #972
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36
    2013 Spitfire-20131020_112714.jpg

    Finished building my large raw spitfire.

    XO 2X10 drive train/brakes
    Flow rims w/ Hope Pro II Hubs
    RF Sixc Carbon bar w/ Atlas 50mm stem
    WB Loop fork
    KS Lev post

  73. #973
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    I did the same comparison but i have a hard time figuring out how it will feel. I'd like to keep my current 50mm stem. I'm ~5'10" and 33" inseam ... Always between M and L frames and I've never really settled on either. I'd love to try a medium, but here in East coast Canada, Banshee dealers are non-existent!
    If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks I can give you my hands on opinion. I'm the same height and inseam as you, ordered a large which should arrive early next week. I will be running a 60mm stem from the start. I also feel to be in between M and L sizes, and never quite at home on either, after comparing the Spitfire to my old Tracer I am confident it's going to be comfortable, but only time will tell. I'll let you know how I get on.

  74. #974
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NAYR751's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    658
    I just picked up a Spitfire and had a few questions. One, is there a dedicated 650B dropout for the frame? My frame came with one 142x12 dropout (which was a nice surprise as I was expecting a 135 rear end) and the 2.3 WTB Vigilante I have barely clears the frame.

    Also, what settings are most people running? I threw the flip chip in the center setting for now, but am curious as to what most people prefer. Really excited to get this thing on the trail.

    Thanks,
    Ryan

  75. #975
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    I just picked up a Spitfire and had a few questions. One, is there a dedicated 650B dropout for the frame? My frame came with one 142x12 dropout (which was a nice surprise as I was expecting a 135 rear end) and the 2.3 WTB Vigilante I have barely clears the frame.

    Also, what settings are most people running? I threw the flip chip in the center setting for now, but am curious as to what most people prefer. Really excited to get this thing on the trail.

    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Hi Ryan,

    yes, there is a dedicated 142x12 650B Dropout for both Rune and Spitfire. You can choose between a 135x10 (26"), 142x12 (26"), 150x12 (26") and a 142x12 (650B) Dropout. It depends on which one you have ordered with the Frame!

    I personally am running the neutral Flip-Chip-Setting with a -0,5 Deg Angleset, because I prefer a steeper 74 Deg Seatangle, a 66 Deg Headangle and a bit more BB-Clearance.
    But this is personal Preference. Try for yourself what will suit you, because the Difference is noticable!

  76. #976
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by dclxvi View Post
    I did the same comparison but i have a hard time figuring out how it will feel. I'd like to keep my current 50mm stem. I'm ~5'10" and 33" inseam ... Always between M and L frames and I've never really settled on either. I'd love to try a medium, but here in East coast Canada, Banshee dealers are non-existent!
    5'10" is 177,8 cm and 33" is 83,8 cm, right?
    Iīm not really sure if your Measurments keep you inbetween two Sizes and I tend to say a medium should fit fine with a 50 mm Stem. Iīm 180/181 cm tall with a 84/85 cm Inseam and switched from a medium with 50 mm Stem to a large with a 35 mm Stem, as I like the longer Wheelbase and more roomy Cockpit for long Climbs.

    The Difference versus the 5.Spot should be a more forward Position when seated, due to the longer Reach and steeper Seatangle, while the overall Saddle/Cockpit/effective Toptube-Length remains closely the same. The same should be experienced when out of the Saddle, due to the longer Reach, that puts you centered between the longer Wheelbase.

    Get in Touch with the Banshee-Guys, as they are building up a Demo-Fleet for Distributors/Dealers. Maybe there is a Possibility to Demoride round your Area now?!?

  77. #977
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by inkisink View Post
    If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks I can give you my hands on opinion. I'm the same height and inseam as you, ordered a large which should arrive early next week. I will be running a 60mm stem from the start. I also feel to be in between M and L sizes, and never quite at home on either, after comparing the Spitfire to my old Tracer I am confident it's going to be comfortable, but only time will tell. I'll let you know how I get on.
    I'm in no rush, so yeah, please let me know!

  78. #978
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    The Difference versus the 5.Spot should be a more forward Position when seated, due to the longer Reach and steeper Seatangle, while the overall Saddle/Cockpit/effective Toptube-Length remains closely the same. The same should be experienced when out of the Saddle, due to the longer Reach, that puts you centered between the longer Wheelbase.

    Get in Touch with the Banshee-Guys, as they are building up a Demo-Fleet for Distributors/Dealers. Maybe there is a Possibility to Demoride round your Area now?!?
    Will ask! And that's pretty much exactly how I picture it. Thanks!

  79. #979
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Can people please post more photos! I'm like a kid before Christmas eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Spitfire and I think I have gone over this thread at least 20 times looking at all the beautiful builds!

    My parts are slowly arriving at the moment but the excitement in waiting for the frame to arrive is ridiculous!

    Do you blokes have any Rim suggestions? I'm not keen on the derby rims being 40mm wide so I have crossed those off my list. What other carbon rim options are there? I don't want to buy a complete wheel so Enve is off my list as well.

  80. #980
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post

    Do you blokes have any Rim suggestions? I'm not keen on the derby rims being 40mm wide so I have crossed those off my list. What other carbon rim options are there? I don't want to buy a complete wheel so Enve is off my list as well.
    Light Bicycle Wide or DH

  81. #981
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    Can people please post more photos!
    Should receive my 2014 frame this weekend, or Monday latest. There will be photos.

  82. #982
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Here is my spitty, it is a small and I love it! Been riding it for 6 months and cannot fault it. I have owned 4 banshee's and they just keep getting better.

    I came off a medium v1, and decided on a small v2 as I have long legs and a short torso (i'm 176cm).. much easier to throw around.

    Currently running in the high bb position with the 36 set to 150, sharpens things up a bit and makes it easier to manual and pop. It has taken a while to get the shock where I want it, initially found it a bit linear so added 5 or so cc's of float fluid and that helped. I have the air spacer kit on the way so I will be experimenting with it soon.

    Pretty solid build,
    - xt cranks, shifter, brakes
    - zee rear mech
    - half an lg1 guide
    - king hubs, bb, headset
    - thomson stem
    - chromag bar
    - LB rims

    and some other good bits that go from bike to bike.

    This bike is killer. I have owned a lot of nice mountain bikes dedicated to certain styles of riding, but this thing really blurs the lines. One of my favourite bikes I have owned was a rocky mountain slayer ss. The thing was an absolute weapon, but a bit too much of a tank to enjoy anything other than lift or shuttles. I always dreamed of that bike with similar geo but in a package that was more efficient and lighter. This is it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-dsc_0229.jpg  


  83. #983
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Light Bicycle Wide or DH
    I'm not hearing amazing things about LB rims. I might just get some Flows and wait for better rim only options for carbon rims.

    I'm glad not too many 2014 photos are popping up because the anticipation for mine is reaching boiling point!

    I'm loving everyone's stoked reviews.

  84. #984
    spinner
    Reputation: Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    I'm not hearing amazing things about LB rims. I might just get some Flows and wait for better rim only options for carbon rims.

    I'm glad not too many 2014 photos are popping up because the anticipation for mine is reaching boiling point!

    I'm loving everyone's stoked reviews.
    How long until your frame arrives ? Mines still weeks away Anticipation reached boiling point a week ago , now reduced to a disappointing simmer. I have all the parts for the build ready to go , nothing to do now but wait.
    Edit : I look like my avatar haha , sad panda.

  85. #985
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    I'm not hearing amazing things about LB rims. I might just get some Flows and wait for better rim only options for carbon rims.
    With the correct tire and pressure? You Are good to go. Smashed one rear rim with a 2.25" Nobby Nic with pressure based on my fatbike calibrated gauge thumb... Still held up until I switched to other wheels. I rebuilt the rear wheel and will run these on my Spitfire (will it just arrive alrrady?)

  86. #986
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss LB rims when compared to flows or other possible carbon rims. If you want to talk hoops PM me, have built a lot on said rims. Don't want to go on a wheel tangent on a frame forum!

  87. #987
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    36
    I'm 5'10 and riding a large V2 with 50mm stem and the fit feels great. I may eventually go shorter on the stem, but so far the 50mm fit right.

  88. #988
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    61
    Hi I've ordered a 2014 spitfire but I'm still concerned about the bb height. I appreciate that Keith has answered this earlier on in their thread.

    So the geometry chart is definitely for a 545 axle to crown fork? If so then I'm concerned about a 13 inch bb height in the low setting, particularly with the dropped chainstays.

    How are people finding this? Please bear in mind that I doing want to buy an Angleset or switch to 650b anytime soon.

    I do a lot of tech climbing over rocks and im worried about rock strikes. I've only demoed a rune and didn't have a problem but that's got different bb height and didn't involve any climbing

    I'd be grateful for some reassuring words so I can just look forward to riding the spotty!

  89. #989
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    215

    2013 Spitfire

    Here a pic of mine



    Just need to shorten the brakes hoses, find a gear cable set and go ride a bit!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

  90. #990
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    428
    according to the specs the Rune has a lower BB so you should be fine. In general both bikes are pretty low, it's not for everyone...

    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Hi I've ordered a 2014 spitfire but I'm still concerned about the bb height. I appreciate that Keith has answered this earlier on in their thread.

    So the geometry chart is definitely for a 545 axle to crown fork? If so then I'm concerned about a 13 inch bb height in the low setting, particularly with the dropped chainstays.

    How are people finding this? Please bear in mind that I doing want to buy an Angleset or switch to 650b anytime soon.

    I do a lot of tech climbing over rocks and im worried about rock strikes. I've only demoed a rune and didn't have a problem but that's got different bb height and didn't involve any climbing

    I'd be grateful for some reassuring words so I can just look forward to riding the spotty!

  91. #991
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Spitfire, during a nice Autumn-Day yesterday. Very mixed Conditions in Weather and Trails, but most sticky, muddy and wet. Unfortunately no Action-Pics, as I mostly ride alone ...

    Time to get some more grippy Tires, but the Bikeīs running great and reliable as usual.



  92. #992
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852

    Re: 2013 Spitfire

    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Hi I've ordered a 2014 spitfire but I'm still concerned about the bb height. I appreciate that Keith has answered this earlier on in their thread.

    So the geometry chart is definitely for a 545 axle to crown fork? If so then I'm concerned about a 13 inch bb height in the low setting, particularly with the dropped chainstays.

    How are people finding this? Please bear in mind that I doing want to buy an Angleset or switch to 650b anytime soon.

    I do a lot of tech climbing over rocks and im worried about rock strikes. I've only demoed a rune and didn't have a problem but that's got different bb height and didn't involve any climbing

    I'd be grateful for some reassuring words so I can just look forward to riding the spotty!
    I am going for a Works angleset on mine to slacken it and run the bike in the high setting for normal use and smack it low for the downpointythingydays

  93. #993
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by fingerbanger View Post
    Hi I've ordered a 2014 spitfire but I'm still concerned about the bb height. I appreciate that Keith has answered this earlier on in their thread.

    So the geometry chart is definitely for a 545 axle to crown fork? If so then I'm concerned about a 13 inch bb height in the low setting, particularly with the dropped chainstays.

    How are people finding this? Please bear in mind that I doing want to buy an Angleset or switch to 650b anytime soon.

    I do a lot of tech climbing over rocks and im worried about rock strikes. I've only demoed a rune and didn't have a problem but that's got different bb height and didn't involve any climbing

    I'd be grateful for some reassuring words so I can just look forward to riding the spotty!
    First: There is no Reason not to look forward riding the Spitty!

    The Geo-Charts of Rune and Spitfire were done with a 545 A-to-C Fork and ZS Headset, for both Wheelsizes.

    So the Rune has a BB Height of 340/347/353 mm with 26", and 350/357/363 mm with 650B.
    The Spitfire has a BB Height of 330/336/342 mm with 26", and 340/346/352 mm with 650B. The Spitfire has a lower BB of 10 mm overall over the Rune, due to the different Front-Triangle and slightly shorter KS-Links. Mine, with neutral Flip-Chips, -0,5 Deg Angleset and 2.25 HansDampf 650B, has a BB of 345 mm, so the Charts are very accurate!

    I like low BB-Heights, as long as they are not overly low. Setup as now Iīm pretty pleased, with the Option of having it both higher and lower when wanted. So if you plan on running Angleset and 650Bs in the Future thereīs no Reason to be concerned about it! Plus the even more steeper Seatangle is a damn nice Feature for the Climbs.

    In my personal Opinion the Geometry of the Spitfire is so much Spot-on! Look at the Competitors - the Spitty is a Trailbike with full AM-Geometry. And yes, I like it and is the Reason for the Spitty being so much unique!

  94. #994
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    61
    thanks for your replies re BB height. Sorry to bang on about this. If I get a works component headset and reduce HA by 1 degree then can you tell me what that'd do to the BB height. Also (I know this isn't a banshee related question so please bear with me) do works components anglesets allow the option of running 0 degree if you put in different bearings?

    I would think that 66 deg HA and 13.5 BB would suit me and where I ride

  95. #995
    Hard funkinī Kraut
    Reputation: NoStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    865
    Sorry no, I havenīt measured accurately how much an Angelset affects the BB-Height, must be between 1 and max. 3 mm lower per full Angle ... ? But this generally depends on EC or ZS lower Cups.
    As far as I know Works-Components Anglesets do only have still one fixed Angle. You can choose from -/+ 1, 1.5 or 2 Deg. If you want to stay flexible you have to go with a complete CaneCreek Angleset, which has 0 Deg, -/+ 0.5, 1 to 1.5 Deg Cups.

  96. #996
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RollingRevolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    115

    2014 Spitfire

    Teaser

  97. #997
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    215

    2013 Spitfire

    Some pics of mine during the mounting....


    DSC03168 par Sam Os, sur Flickr


    DSC03169 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

    95% of the components coming from my previous bike.


    DSC03165 par Sam Os, sur Flickr



    DSC03167 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

    Frame kit version.


    DSC03172 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

    Wheels came in. Need to adapt myself to the 12mm axle.


    DSC03173 par Sam Os, sur Flickr

    And how it was looking until yesterday evening.


    DSC03174 par Sam Os, sur Flickr


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  98. #998
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6
    A few updates to my spitty: made the mistake of attending a sram demo and Really liked the pike over the fox 34... Also I was pretty impressed with the chain retention with the xx1, I was trying my best to drop the chain going over the roughest stuff I could find to the point of flatting . XX1 is a little on the spendy side for me so I did the poor man's version: wolf tooth chainring. I ditched the chain guide and have yet to drop a chain. Also added a thomson dropper. It's quite a bike, exceeds my expectations. Another byproduct of the sram demo was my wife got on a norco sight killer B and fell in love. Norco was out of stock until 2014 and since I rode the norco sight killer b as well I had a fairly back to back comparison and I passed along that I prefer the feel of the spitfire. Next thing I know our local Norco shop has her sold on the spitfire, haha. She's super happy with it, picture from the top of heartbreak ridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-image.jpg  

    2013 Spitfire-image.jpg  


  99. #999
    Mr. Knowitall
    Reputation: hssp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    852
    Just picked up my Blue '14 Spitty! Oh boy! It looks really good, and I can't wait to start building next week.

  100. #1000
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jlf.ski.bike.sail's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    171
    lets see a nice pic of the blue spitty!

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast