Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Spitfire

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks! Looking forward to photos and details of your black ano!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    how do I fix bushing play in my spitfire?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ^The fix is moving to a new frame..lol

Sled of Lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedex View Post
    Step 1: Remove all components from said frame.
    Step 2: Throw frame in trash.
    Step 3: Procure new 2013 frame.
    Step 4: Install components from old frame onto shiny new 2013 frame.
    Step 5:..........?
    Step 6: Profit!

...or new bushings or new pivot axles might help, depending on your situation. There's other threads for that.
    How-to: Bushing Service / Replacement
    Spitfire - Custom bushings/shim fix
    v1.5 pivots

mtbr member
    I finally heard back from Trident on my warranty claim so it looks like I will be upgrading to a V2 Spitfire!

I think I will stick with a large frame, being about 6'1" (185 cm) tall. I currently run my saddle centered on the rails, and use a 70mm stem. So I could switch to a 50mm stem and the cockpit should feel fairly similar.

I think I will get a black frame. I really like anodized finishes; very durable, not easily scratched, easy to clean. I have a raw finish Legend and that is nice too but does show scratches in the clearcoat, and I've just never been a huge fan of raw. The red does look nice but is a little too flashy for me. I really like the Rune blue, and wish that was a choice as well.

I will probably first run 26" wheels, but switch to 650b once I can get a wheelset and fork. Has anyone compared the geometry of the 650b setting to other 650b specific bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I finally heard back from Trident on my warranty claim so it looks like I will be upgrading to a V2 Spitfire!

I think I will stick with a large frame, being about 6'1" (185 cm) tall. I currently run my saddle centered on the rails, and use a 70mm stem. So I could switch to a 50mm stem and the cockpit should feel fairly similar.

I think I will get a black frame. I really like anodized finishes; very durable, not easily scratched, easy to clean. I have a raw finish Legend and that is nice too but does show scratches in the clearcoat, and I've just never been a huge fan of raw. The red does look nice but is a little too flashy for me. I really like the Rune blue, and wish that was a choice as well.

I will probably first run 26" wheels, but switch to 650b once I can get a wheelset and fork. Has anyone compared the geometry of the 650b setting to other 650b specific bikes?
    I'm 6' exact and I will also go large should I get the Spitty frame.

I emailed Banshee yesterday about the second run of Spitfire frames getting the blue color as well (me like that color). 2nd run on the Rune will get yellow so maybe they can do a blue Spitty.

I've analyzed it over and over to head ache proportions. Spitty is long and only the Scott Genius is close (2/10th of an inch difference) Most everything else is about 1 inch to 2.5 inches shorter but it's got geometry designed to work this way run short stems and wider bars. Some may prefer to see a shorter CS length but I'm cool with it and it helps keep the front end down climbing. My current Jamis 650 has freakishly long CS @ 17.7" but it seems fine to me. The beauty of the Spitty is you can set it up low BB and slack (which most seem to do) or high BB and steep (67.5-68 degrees depending on fork A/C which I'll most likely do) or someplace in the middle. Effective SA is right on the money as well.

Cannot wait for some ride reports to start trickling in on this bike. Top of my list at the moment with the icing it can be built under 30lbs without to much effort.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedex View Post
    bikedex, have you heard or read of this: Banshee Upgrade Program ?
    If I were you I would take the chance

Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    I'm 6' exact and I will also go large should I get the Spitty frame ... Cannot wait for some ride reports to start trickling in on this bike. Top of my list at the moment with the icing it can be built under 30lbs without to much effort.
    I am incredible busy at the moment and I canīt even manage to get a scale to weight the Frame due to 18 - 20 hours of work per Day. My Parts should arrive just before Christmas, so Riding-Reports may take some Time ...

But hey: You can see how it looks, you know how light you can go depending on Parts ... and you know the Framesize that shoult fit. Now give yourself a Kick and place your Order! Thereīs no need to waste Time ...

mtbr member
    I wonder how much a medium spitty would weigh in at with the following build:

Xfusion Slant 34mm Fork
    Xfusion Hilo Sl
    Xfusion Vector air HLR rear shock
    WTB Volt ti
    Syntace MX30 28h wheelset
    Conti 2.2 trail king folding tires
    32t XX1 drivetrain
    Race Face turbine 60mm stem
    Easton haven carbon bars
    XTR brakes 180mm front, 160mm rear
    Spank Spike pedals

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone with a new Spitfire V2 frame here in the US or Canada? Any dealers have em in?

Really would like to see a few more of these built up, some weights and ride reviews.

My dealer say's the black anno is a pain to keep clean and attracts dirt more easily vs the raw/clearcoat finish. What's the consensus about that as I like both? Of course I really like the Rune blue color which isn't available on the Spitfire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Anyone with a new Spitfire V2 frame here in the US or Canada? Any dealers have em in?.
    trident (north american distributor?) told me they were in customs late last week. should be in pretty soon. but the first batch may already be spoken for?

i have a black ano rune. it does get dirty easily, and show it. but it is a very durable finish

edit: i guess it depends on if you are buying it to look at, or to ride
    Last edited by boomforeal; 12-18-2012 at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anyone with a new Spitfire V2 frame here in the US or Canada? Any dealers have em in?

Really would like to see a few more of these built up, some weights and ride reviews.

My dealer say's the black anno is a pain to keep clean and attracts dirt more easily vs the raw/clearcoat finish. What's the consensus about that as I like both? Of course I really like the Rune blue color which isn't available on the Spitfire.
    Supposedly the spitfires are due to arrive this week at Trident Sports which was changed from the original date of the first week in December. Hopefully, they are due to arrive this week and then be sent out.
    I have the grey anodized v1 spitfire and IMO is the best way to go for color scheme. There are no scratches or absence of paint anywhere and when washed looks the same as it did when it was born. And that's after almost 3 years of abuse. Not sure why the black anodized would be a pain to clean. My wildcard is black anodized, too. Still looks brand new. Of course it doesn't get ridden as much since my spitfire is the bike of choice for everyday riding. If i had a choice it would always be anodized coloring for me. Usually the anodized treatment is more costly and the frame makers charge extra, but the coloring is permanent, i.e. no scratches/blemishes.
    Can anyone else confirm if spitfire's are landing at trident this week?

mtbr member

Yes, the ano frames will be the most scratch resistant. The black looks really matted when dirt dries on it, whereas the grey will look a bit better. The powdercoats will chip paint the easiest and raw/polished look the cleanest but scratch the easiest. I would go grey ano as that is what my 2011 Rune was and color and held up good. My 2010 ano black only looked good when wet or brand new and appeared really matted and scrubby, like color fade when dirt would dry on frame. My 2008 ano gold Rune color was nice as well.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I found I could keep my black ano Spitfire looking like new with a few Simple Green. I would use a spray bottle and when washing my bike I would give it a couple of sprays and then hose down the frame and wipe it dry. Worked like a charm.

Obviously, you want to be carefull around bearings with the hose and the simple green but a super cheap way to keep it looking like new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    " I would go grey ano"

since when is this an option for the V2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldaddy View Post
    " I would go grey ano"

since when is this an option for the V2?
    Oops, that doesn't sound like a color choice for 2013 V2's. Forgot it is red, ano black, and raw polished for V2 Spitty. I would go with the color that looks the best to you as each one of those finishes with have pro's and cons.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I personally had a black anodized Ellsworth moment for a long time and loved the durability of the finish even though it tended to look dusty after rides. My last bike I had for one season and it was powder coated black it looked really good after dusty rides but had a ton of little scratches and swirl marks after just one season. My vote is ano.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well if the black anno cleans up ok when you give it a bath then I'm cool with that. Guess I was more curious if the dirt embedded into the finish and stayed there.

After cleaning dirt bikes for over 30 years a mtn. bike is a walk in the park but I haven't had an anno frame yet.

If you want an fantastic cleaner that wont hurt any of the finish this X-Tream Clean stuff is amazing and I've tried tons of em. Highly recommended and little to no scrubbing required. Especially if you wash on a regular basis. I think the Bicycle Wash is really the same as the MX/ATV wash (which I use). Worth every penny IMO.

Bicycle Wash

beater
    I've had pretty good results with the Pedro's foaming bike wash on anodized finishes. Easy peasy. Cheaper by the gallon, and it lasts me a few years.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anodized finishes hold up way better. I had a black ano rune and it did hold dirt if you just rinse it off, but it always cleaned up nice with some soap. I have a grey spitfire now and the finish is also holding up well except for where I left the cable lock for my bike rack looped around the down tube and it basically polished a little section from vibration.

"El Whatever"
    Well if the black anno cleans up ok when you give it a bath then I'm cool with that. Guess I was more curious if the dirt embedded into the finish and stayed there.
    The industry has slowly moved from that flat-surface anodizing to the "shot-peened" anodizing that has a surface roughness to it.

The shot-peened traps dirt. Not a chore to clean, but surely the flat one is much easier to clean.

I had a Titus Switchblade that was black-flat-anodized. It was gorgeous. Very easy to clean also. Dust? Just pass a rag over and you were done. Mud didn't stick more to it than it would to paint and surely much less than the shot-peened anodizing.

Mind you, supposedly, the shot peened increases fatigue life of aluminum and gives you that stealthy look.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    I've got an ano black frame on the way too...I'm not super uptight about keeping frames ultra clean all the time though.

Lots of neat freaks I know swear by Pledge furniture polish...

mtbr member
    How is possible that first V2 SPITTYS are out there, and no pics or specs on website.
    Are they protos?
    Is V2 tailored for 650b wheels?

looks like a nice choice if I don't go for 29er !

mtbr member
    Ok, browsing the thread I found new spitty geo.
    The L suits me perfecly.
    I do think with 27.5 wheels it would be a killer trail riding machine !!!!!!!!

mumble mumble mumble...... prime 29 or spit 27.5 ?????
    lots of sleepless night ahead !!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by filbike View Post
    . prime 29 or spit 27.5 ?????
    I too would love to ride a 650b spitty back-to-back with the prime.

filbike, what kind of trails do you ride & whats your size & riding style?

I have some thoughts on the topic, but YMMV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I too would love to ride a 650b spitty back-to-back with the prime.

filbike, what kind of trails do you ride & whats your size & riding style?

I have some thoughts on the topic, but YMMV
    Well FM, as I'm gettin' older and stiffer and falls hurts more and more, I 'm changing my riding style.
    I'm oriented to trail riding with no big drops or jumps and no (more) killer speed in rock gardens and tech sections, but I still like reach the summit for enjoying way down as fast as I can.
    I was nailed on the "L" PRIME but when I saw that with "L" SPITFIRE I could find a bike that suits me better in dimensions (longer reach) and have the chance to use my old fork (VAN 36) and may be build a lighter bike, I saw a new light.
    best thing would be testing both...

here a pic of my actual bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Spitfire-p1010866.jpg  

Last edited by filbike; 12-21-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Page 10 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 60 ... LastLast