FM
    luxatio erecta

2011 Marzocchi 66 RC3 Evo on Banshee Rune

HucknRoll was blowing these forks out for $347 shipped last week….since then the price has gone up to $435, but I'm pretty sure they will honor the lower price if you ask through their customer service.

Anyways- I don't use the Rune as a trail bike much, it's pretty much for FR trails (either shuttled or climbed for), plus we have a lift-assisted bike park opening locally, so further beefing up the Rune made sense to me. I got a great break-in ride yesterday, climbed about 1800' total and hit some local DH trails. Conditions were awesome with 1-2" of light snow and frozen leaves covering steep flowy trails. I brought my camera, but unfortunately the cold temps froze it shut.

I'm running -1.5 K9 integrated cups, so combined with the 180mm fork, my head angle should be right around 65 degrees. Possibly a bit slack & plush for uphill XC singletrack, but ideal for the way I am using this bike. Fire-road climbing and the flatter singeltrack sections were just fine yesterday. BB sits at 14-1/8" with 2.5 tires. The handlebar height is just fine, thanks to the zero-stack headset.

The fork is a whole different level of plushness compared to the 160mm 36 float I removed. Absolutely no stiction, and great controlled compression stroke. I have the rebound set full fast, and it's still a bit on the slow side, but maybe that's the cold temps. Overall I am really happy with this upgrade, and impressed with the recent marzocchi offerings… now if they would just release an RC3 29'er fork!

IMG_2785

IMG_2787

IMG_2788

mtbr member
    I tried a friends bike the other day with a new 66 evo Ti and WOW! Butter!! So smooth and like you said, absolutely NO stiction whatsoever.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yep... the big surprise to me, is that it does not feel too slack. Perhaps that's the anti-squat at work.

Also meant to mention- this fork comes with post mounts set up for a 203 rotor, no adapter required. I'm not sure why anybody would put a smaller rotor on this particular fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The buttery smoothness of a 66 is mind blowing isn't it?
    Just another redneck with a bike

Paste eater
    Did you ditch the KS post? Rune looks awesome. how much does it weigh now?

mtbr member
    That looks like an amazing bike, chrome and black goes so well, I want some of those bars.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Did you ditch the KS post? Rune looks awesome. how much does it weigh now?
    Nope, the KS post is going strong!
    It's on my hardtail currently... swapping it around between bikes depending on the rides.

a tight kick sound
    Good stuff man!! I am loving my older zoke. Maybe gonna go for some Avalanche internals instead of a new one...then again I have one of those danged 1.5 st's and can't run an angle set. Hmmm maybe daddy needs a new forky?!

New doggie Scott? The weimaraner?

Paste eater
    Open bath? Nothing is plusher... (yet somehow not sloppy)

Also, are those the UST minions? I am running a 2.5 DHF 3c dual play tubeless right now and I love it, but it's like 1200 grams. I need something a little more reasonable. I actually DO climb with me rune - alot.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Also, are those the UST minions? I am running a 2.5 DHF 3c dual play tubeless right now and I love it, but it's like 1200 grams. I need something a little more reasonable. I actually DO climb with me rune - alot.
    Yep, open bath.... the front is a minion 3c exo, I am running a tube...great tire but the sidewalls are just too thin for tubeless IMO. I have a DHF dual-ply on my DH wheels, I hear you on the weight! Would be nice if they made something in between.....

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    New doggie Scott? The weimaraner?
    The weimerginer belongs to $l4yEr...
    The badd-ass black shepherd is mine... and she's awesome!

IMG_2049

IMG_0432
    Last edited by FM; 11-22-2011 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Have you had some more ride time on the fork? Any changes in thoughts on the increased height?

I also had a 160mm Float on my Rune and I planned to switch to a 180mm Talas with a 1 1/8 steer tube so I could run an angle reducer headset.

The price on this fork has me thinking about trying it instead of the Talas.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yeah, I've gotten 4 rides in on it, all have been earn-your turns.
    Saturday we did 16 miles with 1600' of elevation difference near Bellingham, XC singletrack climbs to fun descents, including a great machine built jump trail Unemployment Line, Mullet, Scorpion and SST- all in great condition thanks to Bellighams awesome builders.

Anyways, loving the 66rc3. Despite the slack head angle, the bike climbs very well for how capable it is on the descents. I was a bit over-biked for saturdays climby route, but it didn't really bother me at all thanks to the great trails. I added a few clicks of compression damping to both the 66 and my Elka, which created a really nice platform for climbing. The 66 is super stiff, ridiculously plush, and very controlled. 2 clicks of any adjustments actually make a noticable difference.

If you don't mind no travel adjust and hauling the extra 1.5lbs uphill, I'd say go for it, absolutely! I certainly am not missing my float 36.

Hit up Huckn'rolls customer service, and I bet they'll honor the $349 price….

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, the fork sounds really nice.

I did ask through the live chat at HuckNRoll about the sale price and they said they can only do the current price. I do have a coupon for $60 off so that is pretty close to the sale price.

Looking at headsets, Works Components is sold out of -1.5 degree headsets and only has the -2 degree version. That would probably be the best to help keep the BB as low as possible but I'm guessing the head angle would be around 64/64.5 degrees. Too slack I think.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    What kind of riding will you be using the Rune/66 for?
    I think your head angle calculations are about right, I figured mine at 65 with the -1.5 cups. However, it really hasn't ever felt "too slack" yet, even when climbing, I think due to the Rune's anti-squat.

A regular integrated headset might be the ticket. Should put you around 66.5... still nice and slack

PS- pics from saturdays ride
    Last edited by FM; 12-05-2011 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    I usually ride shore type stuff. I'm in the Fraser Valley of BC.

65 degrees is what I was aiming for, I miss the stability of my Wilson and want to make the Rune ride a bit more like a DH bike. The 66 sounds perfect to help do that and give me the plushness and extra travel to cushion my wrist.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Oooh yeah. 65 with the 66 would be good, you'll love it. Spot on for NS stuff.

You might consider -1.5 cups from somebody else- I have the K9 cups, Cane Creek is an option too.

mtbr member
    I'll check K9 out. The AngleSet seems to have some issues so I'm not sure if I want to go for it.

Thanks for the help!