Moose Member

2010 Banshee Wildcard headset help?

Hey guys! I'm joining the banshee family pretty soon! I'm swapping my old RM slayer SS for a Banshee Wildcard. The frame I'm getting comes with a headset for a 1.5 fork, but my Fox 36 is a strait 1-1/8th. I've built complete bikes from scratch, but the headset is the one thing that's always come with the frame, so I have no idea what will fit and what won't. I'm a broke ass college student, and would like to keep the price cheap as possible. I'm looking at the FSA Big fat pig reducer headset... will that work?

do you guys no what will work? Any help is useful.

Any pointers on how to make the most outta my wildcard? I'm stoked.

Thanks for the help ya'll.
    -Moose

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hi Moose,

The Wildcard has a straight 1.5 (49,6 mm inner Diameter) Headtube, so one of these FSA Headsets should work with the Wildcard and straight 1.1/8 Steerer:

The Big Fat Pig 1.5R
    Orbit E 1.5R
    Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R
    Orbit Z 1.5R

Any other Upgrade depends on Budget, of course. One thing I did was switching from the Fox DHX-Coil to a Manitou Evolver ISX-4, or ISX-6. Try to get one from buy & sell if you want a great performing Air-Shock for the WC.

Greetings
    NoStyle

Moose Member
    Cool. I already have an Orbit Z 1.5R, but it's integrated... I don't think it will cross over, I'm thinking the Big Fat Pig will do the trick, because I'm pretty sure that's what came stock on the bike...

Update:realized frame is sold frame only, no headset comes stock lol. I'm pretty stoopid.

UPDATE: just found a pic of a WC with the same headset that is on my Slayer... It must be a zero stack, not integrated or something weird. I hate headsets. So I might not need to buy a new one...

The bike will have a fox DHX air on it, and I'm going to toss my Fox 36 (160mm) up front (might trade for a totem). I'll try out the DHX air, and make a decisions based on that. I have a boner for Roco Air Wc's though... Had one on my Revolt, and on my compulsion. Buttery. My shop might even have a Vivid air in my size... so I've got tons of options...

gettin stoked now... can't stop watching this:

Mark Matthews' Freeride Line - Sweat Equity on Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Shouldn't the reduce match the headset? IE an orbit DL for an orbit DL and a pig for a pig?

I've got an FSA onepointfive on mine, will have to check out tomorrow to see which exact one it is (stoked! its finally alive and ready to ride, only after 3 months of being out of commission or out of state!).

As for fork, there was somebody that turned a vengeance into a u-turn. A 170 u-turn vengeance would be a fantastic fork for this bike. 180mm is fun, but its a bit of a bear on some climbs, then again, I haven't run anything with a smaller a2c...
    Just another redneck with a bike

Moose Member
    After looking at it intensively, the headset on my slayer will cross over to the WC, so I'm set. My fork is already set up for the headset... it's a 160mm fox 36 talas, adjustable from 120-160mm, So unless I can do a full trade for something with more travel, I'm probably just going to leave it. That way when I'm in slopestyle travel setting, I can run a 160 or a 120mm fork depending on the situation.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    ... UPDATE: just found a pic of a WC with the same headset that is on my Slayer... It must be a zero stack, not integrated or something weird. I hate headsets. So I might not need to buy a new one...

The bike will have a fox DHX air on it, and I'm going to toss my Fox 36 (160mm) up front (might trade for a totem). I'll try out the DHX air, and make a decisions based on that. I have a boner for Roco Air Wc's though... Had one on my Revolt, and on my compulsion. Buttery. My shop might even have a Vivid air in my size... so I've got tons of options...
    Fork choice very much depends on what you want to ride with the Wildcard. I mostly have ridden it in the 5" Setting with a Lyrik U-Turn. Depending on Trail or Park the Fork got 14 cm or 16 cm Travel. I never had the Feel I needed more. So I think the Fox will do a good Job for you and makes for more Versatility than Totems.

Before buying a Marzocchi Rear-Shock or Vivid please make shure the Shock fits the Frame in both Settings. Rocos Air-Chambers and Piggy-Packs are more voluminous than others and do not really clear to the Seattube, depending on Travelsetting! Donīt know for the Vivid ...

Moose Member
    Yea I'm probably keeping the 36 so I can drop it to 130mm and do some slopestyle on it, and I'm thinking the DHX will do well. I'm not in a rush to upgrade to a roco or vivid. I think my local shop has a vivid I can fit and see if it works though. As far as rocos... The one I ran on my compulsion was a problem because the piggy back would hit the frame when it bottomed out. the thing is big. I don't think I'll be swapping shocks though unless the DHX is garbage, or I blow it out...

Thanks for the advice though. I probably wouldn't have thought to check a Roco, but now that you said something I remembered my compulsion...

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Hi Moosey,

another Wildcard-Rider from Germany went with a Roco Air with Piggy-Pack on his Wildcard and was only able to ride in the 5" Travelsetting at first. He had to build in the Shock in the non-suggested way: Piggy towards the Headtube, with the Risk the Piggy hitting the Downtube while bottoming. Suggested build in is: Piggy towards the Seattube! Wasnīt possible because the Piggy didnīt clear the Seattube!
    For the 6,5" Setting it was necessary to turn the Shock upside down, with the risk the Compression Knobs hitting the Downtube while bottoming!
    The reason for this was the bigger Air-Main-Chamber and more voluminous Piggys the Marzocchi Roco has had, while Fox DHX or others are more slimm and have the right Clearance. Maybe the latest Rocos are different than the older ones, but you should check out the Clearance before you buy ...

Apart from that: Enjoy your Wildcard! I had mine for 5 happy Years and was really pleased with it.

Many Greetings
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Welcome to the family. When can we expect some more of your kick ass backyard stunt videos?

Moose Member
    lul well sheeeeiiit, Was a day away from the trade (Trade was happening Friday) and my Slayer got stolen (Thursday night).

I'm sad cause I was stoked on the wildcard. Long story short, my insurance company covered me, And now I'm on a 2011 Giant Faith, But I'm looking at new short-travel bikes (My Felt compulsion is about clapped out) And I've got wildcards on the mind to replace my Compulsion. I got all the parts, just gotta get a frame. It'll probably be end of the summer before I make anything happy.

I'm really pissed my bike got stolen. I know I came out ahead, but I was stoked on the wildcard and stuff. I love banshee's bikes, and still want to get on one. I'm trying.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Do you live in the States?
    I have my medium Size Wildcard for Sale. Labeled as Mythic (bought from former UK-Distribution), Team Black/White, with WorksComponents -1,5 Deg Angleset (ZS reducing for 1-1/8 Steerer), Banshee and Thomson Seatpost, Fox DHX 5 Coil and maybe Manitou Evolver ISX-4 (without Mounting-Hardware). Iīm going to replace all Bearings to fresh it up.
    Unfortunately I live in Germany, but if you donīt get a used Wildcard quickly in your Country drop me a PM.