unrooted

140, 150 or 160mm Pike on a Prime???

I'm getting a new fork and putting my trace on my wife's bike. I'm riding a 140mm now, but I want a pike. Not sure which length I should go with. It looks like the 150 is the easiest to find for good prices, but 1cm doesn't seem like much of a change. . .it also looks like the Prime is designed for a 546mm fork, which the trace is.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I like the 150mm Pike with standard offset in my prime. I have my bike build for descents but have no desire for more travel in the front.

unrooted
    Went with the 150 & 51os, the banshee site suggests a 51 OS. I wonder if I'll notice that 0.4" of travel???

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Went with the 150 & 51os, the banshee site suggests a 51 OS. I wonder if I'll notice that 0.4" of travel???
    You will notice the stiffness the pike offers, the dampening that will give you better traction... the additional travel is really just the cherry on top.
    Pretty sure you will like the Pike.
    Watch out for the lower leg oil... they often come in quite try (old rs issue still valid for the pike)

MTB B'dos
    Depends on what geo setting you run yours in and how you like the current BB height, also depends on what the actual A2C is of the 150mm PIKE. Personally I had an F34 when I first got my Prime and rode it at that setting for about a year, then decided it was past time for a service and opened it up, found another hole on the air shaft to go to 150mm, so moved the travel stop up. In riding the F34 @ 150mm I can't say it was bad at all and I rode it in both the steep and slack setting, was really neither here nor there, so put it back to 140mm. Can't remember the A2C of it now.

51mm offset is definitely the way to go for a slacker angled 29er, less doesn't feel as "nice" to me. Have tried lesser offset forks on my Phantom and Paradox and definitely prefer the 51mm offset.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I have the 51mm offset Pike, currently at 160mm. I slightly preferred it at 150mm. Just slightly more balanced and easier to weight the front end.

The Pike is a great fork though!

unrooted
    According to SRAM the Pike at 150mm has an a2c of 551mm, so supposedly it's 5 mm more than my trace 140mm, which is 5mm more than Banshee bases it's geometry on.

I have my bike set in the slackest angle since my strengths are climbing I "need" my bike to make up for my lack of descending ability!

MTB B'dos
    5mm isn't even a 1/4 degree, more like 1/5th degree, so don't think you'd notice much in terms of that, but from all reading, you will be blown away from the dampening.
    According to SRAM the Pike at 150mm has an a2c of 551mm, so supposedly it's 5 mm more than my trace 140mm, which is 5mm more than Banshee bases it's geometry on.
    Curious, have you tried the Neutral or Steep setting to see how they felt or did you just stick it in the slackest and leave it? If you haven't tried the other 2 settings, I'd give them a go for a few rides each to see how they feel.
    I have my bike set in the slackest angle since my strengths are climbing I "need" my bike to make up for my lack of descending ability!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

unrooted
    I put it in the neutral when I first got the bike, then switched to slack. I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe I'll switch it to steep to see what it feels like. I kind of think I'll just learn to ride whatever I happen to have it at and move my body accordingly, but if it really does make a big difference then I would probably want to switch it for long xc rides.

I've mostly been riding at Mammoth Mountain which has relatively easy climbs and rediculously steep (for me) down hills with very fast sections (like the big step up at the very bottom of the Kamikaze that I'm still too scared of going fast enough to clear!). I do like how well the bike holds when railing flat turns which is due to the lower bottom bracket height of the low setting and the only time I hit my pedals is when I'm lazy about keeping them flat in rocky sections or corners.

mtbr member
    Did anyone take note of the bb height change when ran at 150mm or 160mm? I'm guessing an extra 1/4" at 160...
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK