Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009

You Yangs ,knee protection

Hi Guys
    I went to the You Yangs this week for the first time and had a ball. I was only hitting the blue trails and one of the black ones but had a great time ,much harder than I thought It would be. Anywho was wondering how many of you guys wear knee and shin protection there as there is some great rocks to snag on.Also whats the protection like in are brutal summers?
    First time poster on the Oz,NZ forum so hope I havn't bugged you all with an over asked question

nothing to see here
    I've only been there once, but I doubt anyone would need that sort of protection on the blue runs if they're using clip-in pedals. If you're using flat pedals, I'd say shin protection would just about be mandatory.

Any extra covering is going to make it hotter in summer if you're doing XC, but downhills only probably won't get too bothersome.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for getting back to me.Yeh I'm riding flats at the moment .First trip was more an explore but next time i'll ride harder and am up for the black runs

mtbr member
    for those new riders at the you yangs, I would recommend to wear knee and elbow protection and dont worry about the weather co's hitting any rocks is nasty. Once, you're confidence gets better then chuck away those protection (except the helmet/gloves).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    for those new riders at the you yangs, I would recommend to wear knee and elbow protection and dont worry about the weather co's hitting any rocks is nasty. Once, you're confidence gets better then chuck away those protection (except the helmet/gloves).
    Agreed. If you're not totally confident of hitting a jump/drop/rock garden don't do it without protection, and still then only if you're totally confident you won't get hurt if you crash. Work up to bigger hits slowly - experience is everything. There's one or two jumps on Cressy I still won't hit without gear (including a fullface), but I'm not any good at jumps.

The knee/shin pads aren't too hot really. The straps can dig in a bit when riding uphill. I've got Raceface ones now which are reasonably ok. When it's way hot it's too hot to ride out there anyway.

Oh yeah - BoG and GMBC are full-on DH tracks. Take care, even with full gear. Seriously consider a back protector once you're experienced enough to attempt the A-lines (I'm not).

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    try 661 vege shin guards

and 661 kyle pads

fan of maple syrup
    It is with hindsight that I post this, but as mentioned above - protection at Youies is a must. Especially if, like me, you have no 'OFF' switch when it comes to pushing your riding abilities. While testing the Nomad out there on it's maiden Youies voyage, I pushed a little too far on the new Track 10 (replacing the old GMBC descent) and came off, hard. That was a fortnight ago tomorrow, and the scabs on my forearm are just starting to fall off, but the bruising around my hip, thigh, back, groin, meat & 2-veg is as purple as an eggplant, with a nice scrambled eggs yellow around that. Plus I have about a litre of fluid floating around in there too.

I looked at my forearm guards that morning, and said to myself "No ... you're going overseas on holiday tomorrow, you aren't going to ride that hard you need that kind of protection" then a pause .... "but take the Kyle Straight knee/upper shin pads anyway". The latter saved my knees the same fate as my right forearm, but not even impact shorts would've saved the hip area. 100kg + approx 40kph + rocks + gravel + gravity. Hurt like hell. Hospital trip proved no internal damage or broken bones, so I postponed flight 2 days to see if I could walk, and have spent the past week and a half sitting by pools & beach in the Bali sun getting better. Only hurts when I run .... but there's no need for that while doing nothing, which is what I came away to do.

Moral of story: Armour at Youies is good if you're gonna go hard at it and don't have the riding skill/finesse to pull it off.

P.S. Best wishes to those in Christchurch NZ & flood ridden Nth Victoria - hope everyone is safe and well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm glad you're ok and getting better. It sounds like it could have been much worse.

I suppose you can make the best of the situation and wear speedos around the pool. Or are you having trouble enough convincing your better half that even if you sold this new bike of yours you'd still manage to find ways of hurting yourself just as badly?

Padded shorts work pretty well, by the way. I've had some falls onto my hips with and without them (DH and dirt bike). With them on I've just dusted myself down and continued on my way. Without them I've had to wait for the pain to die down first.

I am right!
    I did this in April at the You Yangs, just riding real fast through the trees and flew off a corner and into a tree with my clavicle...no protection would have stopped this from happening, better skills maybe would have!

I've worn 661 Kyle Strait pads a few times mainly after having offs that resulted in gravel/granite rash, but always end up not using them again after a few rides. I recently gave them to a newer rider who has been using them.

I'm back and doing all the stuff i used to do at the You Yangs now, aided by some Ti in my shoulder.

ILMP is that pic at Youies?

mtbr member
    [/QUOTE]

I've worn 661 Kyle Strait pads a few times mainly after having offs that resulted in gravel/granite rash, but always end up not using them again after a few rides. I recently gave them to a newer rider who has been using them.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm older than you, they've been keeping my knees nice and warm this winter...

I am right!
    Just be thankful i didn't call you an 'older' rider!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Piker

ILMP is that pic at Youies?
    yeah mate....

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Just clicked on this thread, N_P hope you are coming good mate! New bike+ First Ride+ CRASH -Day Before O/S trip is not a good recipe!
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    eeek missed that post too. Yeah N_P hope you are mending well! The hard bit will be getting back on the bike.....and feeling the love Such bad timing! Well- when is it ever good timing to get an injury!!>>??. At least you had sun and pool to rest. Nice

As for here- the Earthquake was the scariest experience of my life!

http://www.paulpetch.com/2010/09/04/...h-earth-quake/

Several days later I was hit side on by a car on my Scooter. I'm lucky to be alive.....um...twice in a week. Recovery is coming along ok from accident. I was lucky to not be sucked under the car which took two blokes to free up- it's totally written off.

http://www.paulpetch.com/2010/09/09/...y-to-be-alive/

2010 has been an utter bast ard so far. Be safe everyone.....and remember to wear your good underpants "just in case" lol

Anyway back on topic...wear pads!!

fan of maple syrup
    Jesus ILMP ... go buy a lottery ticket or something. Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. And yeah, that earthquake sounds like it would've been pretty scary - especially for anyone indoors. Amazing nobody died - hopefully a testament to Aus/NZ building standards.

Here is what the side of my body looked like 5 days after the crash. I should emphasise "SIDE OF BODY". After I put this on Facebook, everyone kept commenting on my arse, which isn't actually in the photo at all, but you can be mistaken for thinking so since I'm twisting my arm around to get the gash into the photo with the bruising, so it looks like a rear-shot. In any case, the colour has since diminished, but it's still pretty friggin sore. Doesn't stop me riding though

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Jesus ILMP ... go buy a lottery ticket or something. Glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt. And yeah, that earthquake sounds like it would've been pretty scary - especially for anyone indoors. Amazing nobody died - hopefully a testament to Aus/NZ building standards.

Here is what the side of my body looked like 5 days after the crash. I should emphasise "SIDE OF BODY". After I put this on Facebook, everyone kept commenting on my arse, which isn't actually in the photo at all, but you can be mistaken for thinking so since I'm twisting my arm around to get the gash into the photo with the bruising, so it looks like a rear-shot. In any case, the colour has since diminished, but it's still pretty friggin sore. Doesn't stop me riding though
    Yeah lotto tickets purchased....haha. It is amazing that noone died.....and time of night 4:30am and building standards were the saving grace. We have had more than 250? aftershocks which continue. Amazing.

Ouch that looks so sore! You even have gravel rash on your back! Dude you must have hit the ground like a sack of shite! Heal well.

mtbr member
    that looks nasty, get well soon.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    You even have gravel rash on your back! Dude you must have hit the ground like a sack of shite!
    The gravel rash goes from that part all the way up my back to my armpit, then down the arm to the bleeding gash.

And yes - I have been using that exact terminology: a 100kg sack of shite. In fact, now that I look at the dates ..... I reckon when I landed it might have set things in motion for the quake you had over there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    are you guys talking about the downhill or the xc stuff?

are yous using all that protection for the xc stuff?

fan of maple syrup
    You can ride nearly all of the DH stuff (bar the 10+ ft jumps/gaps which have B lines) on an XC bike - at XC speeds. As in, you can gingerly pick a line through a garden of baby-head sized rocks on an XC bike, and if you f**k up - you fall to the side and graze a knee.

But if you want to hit the same rockgarden at speed and carry that speed through the other side, then you're on a bigger bike, and when you f**k up - you tear yourself up pretty bad without armour.

mtbr member
    Mmm sitting in hospital reading this post after a bingle in the Youies on Sunday. My elbow is missing flesh and the plastics guys are trying to join it together. Definitely protection for me in the future.
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You Yangs ,knee protection-bike-accident-arm.jpg  

Last edited by fresh tracks; 09-29-2010 at 08:54 PM.