Thread: Yarra Trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Yarra Trails

Hi guys and girls

It's been ages since I've done the Yarra Trails and was thinking about hitting them this weekend. I used to start at Wilson Reserve in Ivanhoe, head to Candlebark Reserve and return. I'm just wondering first of all whether the trails are completely buggered after all the rain we've had the last few months. Also are the snakes really as bad as the signs make out. I've only ridden there during Winter so I've never come across any but a couple people have told me there's heaps around there during the warmer months. Lastly, when I rode there last time, the boardwalk was closed heading into Westerfolds. I assume it has reopened since???

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    I went down there midweek a couple of weeks ago and parts were pretty muddy. I ride a loop from the football oval just down from Heidelburg shops to Templestow. The first trail from the oval I'd skip as is crazy muddy but got much better the further you go. Hope that helps

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    P.S. Haven't seen a snake in ages

fan of maple syrup
    If you check out the Yarra Trail Regulars thread on the Rotorburn forums under Riding -> The Watering Hole -> Victoria you'll get an idea of what it's like. I consider muddy parts of this trail to be: Best Avoided. Mainly because I can't be arsed cleaning the crap off my bike, but also because it just destroys the trail.

Before this weekend the trails were dry and rideable from Studley Park Rd all the way to the flats before the Burke Rd Bridge, where some super-boggy parts were still wet and off-limits. After that it was basically dry anywhere the sun could get to it, and higher-is-drier type stuff (so the dippers are all wet). One dipper between fountain loop and Manningham Rd is completely bogged in with no (easy) way around.

dynamitedread pretty much explains the rest from here upstream.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rode over a snake on Hans Loop/Pink Ribbon the other week. Watch out in the long grass.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What time of the day was that?

I can't decide if i prefer the weather warm with snakes, or the cold and wet without...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I live in Hawthorn and haven't bothered with anything close to home lately after the spring we've had. However, I rode Hans Loop on Monday (yesterday) and it was in pretty good shape. Obviously a few dips with some water and the section near the dam was UGLY but apart from that it was holding up reasonably well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al_
    What time of the day was that?

I can't decide if i prefer the weather warm with snakes, or the cold and wet without...
    Nice warm partly sunny day, about midday, just like you'd expect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for your response guys. I think I'll give it a miss for a few months. Sounds like it's going to be pretty yuck for a little while yet. Especially if we keep getting rain like we have the last few months.

I love getting out there April / May. No snakes and the tracks are nice and dry.

I think I'll be heading out to the You Yangs instead. Always love it out there.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That is when i've seen them. Last summer i was out most days around late afternoon/dusk and didn't see any. Thought that was a bit odd as i know they are there and they should be active at that time.

Hopefully this weather will dry things out fast. The weekend looks good too

Snapper
    cant remember if they are more docile in the mornings then after they get some sun - get frisky.
    Rode Yarra Tuesday and many parts are trashed north of Fairfield. I havent seen a snake this season but l havent seen much sunshine either. Apparently the Yarra has the highest infestation of Tiger snakes in OZ and the Convent / childrens farm had an epidemic 4 years ago with an entire basement in one of the old convent buildings full of the f*ckers.
    My record was 7 snakes in 5 rides a number of years ago - sent the willys up me has three of the incounters were very close.
    Now if they become really good swimmers we are in big trouble - float down the Yarra and set up base in Docklands.
    JD

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It seems the nationals are on at the You Yangs this weekend so I'm going to give the Yarra a go. Thinking of starting at Banyule Flats and heading towards Han's and doing a couple laps. I was hopeful that the weaks fine weather may have dried the majority of it up but it of course it had to rain today. Hopefully a bit of sun tomorrow and Saturday will improve it.

I've never come across a snake riding. In fact I've only ever seen maybe 2 or 3 ever in the wild. So if I do come across one, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have more than sweat in the chamois of my shorts!

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    Ok got an update after not seeing a snake in ages I nearly ran over a fair size Tiger snake today. Ha glad I read this thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just got back from a great afternoon on the Yarra. Parked the car at Banksia St and headed upstream. There wa barely any water the whole way. The first bit in Banyule where it dips down to the river looks like it has been very wet for a while but it's fine now if you stick to the track to the right of it. A little bit further there's a fallen tree and just after that there's a small unrideable bit. Other than that, everything is dry. There's a lot of really overgrown areas and the sections with head high grass are a bit disconcerting. Thankfully though I didn't come across any snakes. I did get attacked by a preying mantis though and I've got a funky rash on my neck from a tree. Overall though very glad I went out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's so overgrown at the moment that it gives me the heebie-jeebies...