mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Yankee in need of advice

Hi all,

I'm student in the United States thats heading down to travel through the great lands of New Zealand and Australia for a semester . I'm going to be in New Zealand for the majority of the time: Jumping from Auckland to Waitomo to Wellington to Nelson to Christchurch to Wanaka to Franz Josef and then puddle jumping over to Australia and going from Sydney to Blackheath to Byron Bay to Brisbane and then finally back to Sydney and back to the states.

My hope is to get in some riding while I'm over there. I'm packing shoes, pedals, gloves, bibs, and jersey. I figure I can find a bike and a helmet over there. So my questions to you all are:

Where to go ride? What are the places that I need to make sure that I find a bike and ride while I'm over there?

And do you have any recommendations on a shop or two along my way? Maybe somewhere where I can rent a bike for a couple days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

CHEERS!

mtbr member
    I am not familiar with those areas, sorry, but it sounds like a great trip!

mtbr member
    you can rent bikes in most of those areas you have mentioned in new zealand ... mainly in bike shops in towns, only exception i can think of is rotorua where planet bike is actually at the carpark to the trailhead ...

must do areas? all of the above really!!

get a copy of this book ... classic nz mtb rides ... a must read for the adventures you are planning!!!
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Plenty of tracks in the areas you are talking about visiting.
    Try here for a couple of tracks
    http://www.bikenz.org.nz/Article.aspx?ID=997
    http://tracks.org.nz/

When are you over in the South Island? I may be able to get a copy of the Kennet Bro's book to you to borrow while you are down this way...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That would be really neat! I think the first time that I'm going to be down there is when I get to Nelson. I think that would put me there around the 2nd or 3rd of Feb. Although I do have a mailing drop off in Christchurch. And I'm going to be there around the 10th of feb, and then I go back through there near the 2nd or so of March. I'm not sure if that factors in at all...but maybe

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wanaka sounds like my best bet to get some good miles in. From what bikenz says about it I'm sure I'd be in for a treat. Plus I have 2 days off there to do anything I please.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Queenstown Gondola now takes bikes, if you are into the Gravity side of things, and I'm told there are other quite good tracks, XC or otherwise.

Nelson a some really nice riding too, as does Kaiteriteri (limited tracks, but great spot)
    http://www.nelsonmountainbikeclub.org.nz/

my legs are sore

Wanaka was fun

I've ridden the Plantation Trails in Wanaka. (Sticky Forest) Racer's Edge has the best selection of rental bikes and you can ride from there to the trailhead in 15 or 20 minutes. Plus, the scenery from some of the trails is quite nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yankee in need of advice-34.jpg  

I used to do the Hokey-Pokey but then I turned myself around.