mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Woodend 60k OO Training

Thinking of this one for Sunday morning, leave Woodend town.

Follow the MAD ride course. About 1000mtr ascent.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mbtc/MTB%20ride.pdf

Still sounding out our group, so nothing final yet.

nothing to see here
    Sounds interesting. If I've got my bike back together by then I might tag along. Will confirm.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    I like wooded trails! Have fun guys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Love to come.

I think I'm going to have to wait to see how server the rains are on Saturday to confirm though.

Wood End doesn't do that great in the wet does it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yes expecting 100-120mms of rain over victoria this weekend particularly Saturday. So will probably have to cancel this one - as we all know this is the crucial weekend for big ks and climbs before OO.

So reckon Woodend will be too wet, You Yangs, Lystie. Smiths Gully is a maybe, otherwise it will be a multiple 2-3k killer climb loop around yarra trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was thinking of doing a ride from smiths gully up to kinglake and back on Sunday.

Want to join me?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I think there is a similar Kinglake ride planned for saturday but will probably be cancelled due to rain.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by with_the_band
    I was thinking of doing a ride from smiths gully up to kinglake and back on Sunday.

Want to join me?
    plan B would be Smiths - Kinglake yes, but think I am going to wait until late Saturday to decide (there are 4 of us), don't mind riding if it's wet, but if it's a big dump then will give it a miss and ride local.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hud if a ride is happening on Saturday or Sunday can you let me know. It would be great to tag along.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    mmm...just been thinking i might wear merino, take a rain jacket and a mud guard and do it regardless. I just really need to. Means I wont sweat so much if its cool anyway, I actually enjoy riding in the rain as long its not muddy - and this ride wont be, much.
    Hey it will be good training in the sense that this years OO will probably be muddy.

Ok I'm doing the route Carver did last weekend. Meet you 'all' at the shop at 8am in the morning Get out there and embrace the suffering!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    so that's 8.00 am at Smiths Gully shop right? Like I said don't mind the rain, but if it's a big dump which they are predicting, then might be unrideable. See how it goes.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Fair enough i suppose. I'll check the radar and forecast in the morning at around 7am. you can sms me on 0427100469 if you are unsure.

Yes the Smiths Gully store.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Currently raining heaps (near Lilydale) and plenty more showing as coming thru, so its going to be a no-show for myself, Hud, and a couple of other riding buddies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    At this stage we are going, Smiths > KL return. 8.00 at store. That's 70k return? We have to do this as it's our last chance for big load high ks to get the required recovery/benefit in time for OO.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    So MTB101, what in your opinion is cut off time for big rides before the OO? I'd have thought doing a big ride a week before would be okay and then a short (eg)railtrail ride during the week.

nothing to see here
    Providing I've got my bike sorted, I'll be riding early (around 9am) Wednesday and Thursday at the new stuff, probably as my last big rides before the OO. Anyone else is welcome to join in the pain if they feel like they need it.

PM me if interested.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Just go ride 50KM and then have a pie Job done!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb101
    At this stage we are going, Smiths > KL return. 8.00 at store. That's 70k return? We have to do this as it's our last chance for big load high ks to get the required recovery/benefit in time for OO.
    So mtb101, did you get the ride in? The weather went from bad to down right ugly. Hope you all made it thru' OK

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver96er
    So mtb101, did you get the ride in? The weather went from bad to down right ugly. Hope you all made it thru' OK
    well after stuffing around with organising group, I couldn't go because we wouldn't get back by 1:00 (I had a family outing to go to!!). Two mates did ride from Smiths to Kinglake return about 45ks as planned, said track conditions were prefect, on the way back to Smiths it got a bit wet, but not too bad - did some beautiful climbs especially once past water tank on main road. They said there were quite a few other riders out and at KL they met up with some mtbers also training for OO.

I got the roadie out and said to myself, well it aren't mtbing but if I can get 1000m ascent then that's not a bad workout. So did the Alpine Tour of Suburbs out to Doncaster and back, some pretty good hills including a 10% + climb. Then back to Kew Boulie for 2.5 circuits (each circuit is about 200m ascent), I was done by 12.30 and eating Yum Cha by 1:00! 70ks, 1000 metre ascent, average 26.5k.

Felt super strong on roadie, even raced a few skinny latte types up climbs, they didn't get past me, but of course the mtb is another world, so will do a few hill repeats over next few days just steady, reality for me now is to begin a good recovery and go down to just steady ks, getting pretty excited about OO, can't wait to just soak up atmosphere and ride like hell.