mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Why are Fox seal kits so expensive in Australia??

Rear seal kit quoted at AU$50 at lbs but sells for US$6.50 on the Fox website.
    Is someone having a laugh…?
    I don't mind paying to support the LBS for some things but this is too much - apparently the Fox accessories are very high wholesale here.
    And remember we are talking about a few O rings and seals with 5ml of gearbox oil - that I would hazard a guess that Fox does not manufacture themselves.
    We are expected to service these parts every 30 hours of use too…according to Fox.
    Can anyone explain why I feel like I am getting ripped off?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can't explain it...I suppose there's a lot of handling involved and the importers, distributors, and retailers all need to take their cut to stay in business, and it costs a fair bit to do so here in Australia.

Here's an old thread: RP23 seal kit

I've bought the seals from the bearing shop when I've needed them.

Hmmmmm
    I know there is a difference between U.S. and Australian dollars, but that still sounds ridiculous.
    Can't you just order from a U.S. supplier like Jenson USA, here in the states and have them air ship to you?
    BTW. Sram Pit Stop suspension fluids work great in a Fox fork and is much cheaper.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the thread link - still seems about 4 times the US price which is ridiculous.
    I could understand the distributor, retailer markup argument if the US retailers sold them for more than US$6.50…but they don't. (and they still have distribution costs and markup)
    There is a difference in the currency - our $ is worth more! Maybe the distributors have not worked this out yet?
    Fork oil for motorbikes is cheaper still…available from supermarkets even!
    Reason that I don't buy a few and get them posted - Fox does not allow their dealers to ship OS for these parts. Hmmm.

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    I know there is a difference between U.S. and Australian dollars, but that still sounds ridiculous.
    Yes, $US1.0674 buys one Australian dollar, to be exact. Sliding away now, though...

$50 for a seal kit is an insult. Take the specs of the seals to any number of better regulated industries that are to be found in the phone book and give them your money instead. They'll have supplies in stock, too.

Bike shops, and the distributers, take advantage, pure and simple. It's the only way they can stay in business.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Fox restricts worldwide movements of their parts, it allows them to set regional pricing.

Which reminds me, my aftermarket fox air-sleeve kits are still running well, been in testing for about 8 months now. I really need to get a production run done.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

Bike's hmmm nice
    After checking out the fox site I wanted to do a little service. 6,50 US$ seemed like a fun deal. Asked around and found my LBS in Holland asked 39 euro for it (55,25 US$ or 52,73 AU$). Sjeeeezus a mark up of 750% !!!! Now way this could be realistic. Bike business is still going to well if shops can BF us in that way. Got them at an internet shop for 18 euro (25$) in the end. Not cheap, but at least for 50% less than my BS LBS.

I don't really see why Fox could not provide the same interesting deal in Europe or Australia for that matter. Just send a big box of parts and have a local party put them together to avoid strange tax rates. This is customer service for Peet sake. We have already spend a lot of cash buying their product.

mtbr member
    If it's the rear shock air sleeve kit you are talking about, I bought it recently in Brisbane for $25. I took it to a hydraulic wholesaler and could not beat it regardless of quantity purchased. I may try a bearing supplier as per a previous post and see what I come up with. The shop was For The Riders at Annerley in case you are in Brisbane.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    If it's the rear shock air sleeve kit you are talking about, I bought it recently in Brisbane for $25. I took it to a hydraulic wholesaler and could not beat it regardless of quantity purchased. I may try a bearing supplier as per a previous post and see what I come up with. The shop was For The Riders at Annerley in case you are in Brisbane.
    Several of the seals in a fox air-sleeve kit are custom made. I have had a batch of replacements made and out with testers since October last year.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve