Page 51 of 156 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3885
    No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Blew the cobwebs off the bike (literally) and out of the lungs (figureatively) this afternoon down the Yarra. First ride in 7 weeks after picking up a brain-eating virus* one and a half weeks into a Vietnam holiday,
    What is it with Asian places and bad diseases? Two of my mates have been to Vietnam and both came home crook. One with Hep A and the other with some weird parasite paddling around in his bloodstream.

Oh yeah, they both bought wives home too.

Strangely, my mate's wife who has only just got here in the last two weeks or so is having a skin breakout from our climate. Weird stuff.

Anyway, no riding for me on the w/end due to work.

But have some time off coming up so better get back into it as I'm feeling slow at the moment.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I hit the yarra trails for a burn on the rigid single speed xtc yesterday afternoon. I thought i'd try the pink ribbon loop to see how the single speed goes on the climbs, and how the rigid fork goes on the descents.
    It kicked my arse. My legs and back were killing from the effort on the climbs, there is so many small up-hills with no run-up area which you don't even notice on a geared bike. My hands were aching from hanging on so tight on the downhill sections, the vibration was harsh.
    So I did a few laps and then hit the flat trail beside the river, which is where the bike is in its element. Ended up riding for nearly 3 hrs.
    I can now see the attraction to a rigid single speed, it took a little while. The bike is so light and chuckable, and the handling is razor-sharp. I rode the yarra trails on my trailfox and found them boring, i was looking for things to ride over. But take out the suspension and gears and they're still challenging, and i think i go faster without the unnecessary gadgets too.
    Paul

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias Pauly
    It kicked my arse. My legs and back were killing from the effort on the climbs, there is so many small up-hills with no run-up area which you don't even notice on a geared bike. My hands were aching from hanging on so tight on the downhill sections, the vibration was harsh.
    Glad ya had a crack at the same trails on a different bike, it really adds a new level of fun to an old track. Don't know if you have already but if drop ya front tire pressure below what ya normally run on a geared bike and hold on a fraction looser (even on the down hill) you will find a lot of the harsh vibrations don't make it into ya arms. Also if ya back is hurting a lot it sounds like maybe you aren't standing up and mashing enough. Sitting down on an SS just doesn't work on hills. Mind you there is always a level of pain associated with rigid SS but I wouldn't have it any other way. Glad ya lovin it... somewhat haha

P.S. Went for a quick 30min sprint around Birdland Reserve/Lysterfield area last night... fit in whatever ya can I say!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    You need to pick the right place to start riding a SS rigid, but over time your technique will improve. For the ss bit you will just get stronger and learn to pace yourself on longer climbs, also utilising flatter ground to maintain momentum. You want the biggest, fattest tyre you can find up front (preferably 29 inch), preferably tubeless so you can run low pressure, I'm down to about 24-26psi on the SIR9 now.
    As for the rigid you need to unweight the bars (pump the arms) or even a series of mono's over rough bits. Keep the elbows bent and use your arms to absorb shock.
    Braking bumps before corners are the worst for me, 29 inch wheels helps in 26 inch wheels corrugations though. I find initially keeping a little bit wide approaching the corner then cutting across the apex (Not to the point where you widen the track) means you avoid the worst bumps.

"The bike is so light and chuckable, and the handling is razor-sharp. I rode the yarra trails on my trailfox and found them boring, i was looking for things to ride over. But take out the suspension and gears and they're still challenging, and i think i go faster without the unnecessary gadgets too."

Well put, I think you've got it.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Yep. Hud got it in one...get a 29er with a nice comfy frame and fork. My steel On-One inbred is quite comfortable on the Pink Ribbon trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like I need a bigger tyre up front, i was using a 2.1 with pretty high pressure because i'm heavy. I might try a 2.35 with lower pressure and see how that goes.
    The 29er wheel is an option i left open, my fork can take a 29 inch wheel, so i could turn the bike into a 69er.

My back pain was simply due to not being used to having to dead-lift my way up climbs. I've been doing too much road riding, sitting and spinning.

I'm deffinently going to stick with it though. More difficult and more painful equals more fun. Strange that.....

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Sounds fun, flip your stem, and with no spacers it might just work...

Day of the critters yesterday. On my 36km loop I came across a large, green bearded dragon sunning himself on a dirt road. A lot of trailbikes get out here, so I picked old mate up and moved him off the track - whereupon he blew himself up to Godzilla proportions, puffed up his beard and gave a short chase to send me on my way, LOL. Cool little critter, and I wished I had my phone to take a snap.

There were also a few large, orange winged grasshoppers about - lucky i had glasses one.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, work has been consuming my weekends lately too, so no rides. This weekend would have been perfect (cool, damp), but work again interferes...I'm hoping next weekend is not too hot...not a fan of hot weather MtB'ing, and am keen to avoid snakes...
    [SIZE="3"]"The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".[/SIZE]

Hud
    Singletrack minded

No good

Rain.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Rain
    ...and lots of it. Enough to fill my rainwater tank twice goddammit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Wetest day in three years and I had the guys from work and thier families at my place for a xmas bbq

Yeah, it seems to be the weekends when the weather turns crappy too.

Anyway, I'm heading out this arvo with a mate to get the bikes muddy.

mtbr member
    I entered the Otway this week so I was all keen to go out and do a nice big ride to start preparing for it. It rain Saturday and I woke up on Sunday and just didnt go. Very dissapointing. I did get on the trainer for an hr so I felt like I did something. There is a chance that I will not be able to get another MTB ride in until next year which is a scary thought. Ill have to see if I can sneak the bike in when we visit my parents over chrissy.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M
    I entered the Otway this week ....
    Still deciding myself ... 100 k's seems daunting after my 15 km commute this morning into headwinds left me buggered. Good luck with the training though

No riding for me on the weekend either, though I did go out to the Youies to watch Rd3 of the National DH series. It was very encouraging to see:
    1. What looked like 15 - 16yr old girls (in the U19's) getting over the really techy sections pretty easily
    2. Everyday dudes getting in there and racing their arses off
    3. Amiel Cavalier flying through and winning on a Giant ReignX - obviously the YY track wasn't challenging enough to bring out the Glory (P.S. Waldog - he was running your XT wheels too).

The changes to Bandages & Glory are pretty awesome. Looks like about 500m added on to the finish - albeit a little pedally, but looks like fun too. There are enough B-lines that I could nervously get down there on my little rig too. Maybe we Melburnians should organise a YY day over the Xmas break??

Well, I took my wife for an easy trail ride today and she overcooked a downhill corner, flew off the trail, grabbed a fistful of XTR V brake and endo'd! Minor injuries only but much wailing and howling.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Cog Cafe ride this evening. Just Damo and I then Paul happened to ride past and decided to hook up with us. He showed us a beaut flowy downhill trail that I didn't know about. Later, we ran into Damo's mate Steve on the singletrack, and later again another local Rob cruised up. Great to have this happen on the trails, starting to happen a bit more out there lately. Heard on the grapevine Rob Eva has been riding the trails.

fan of maple syrup
    Cog Cafe ride this evening....
    When I get a bit of the fitness back I'd like to check out your Dandenongs trails. You didn't miss much at the Yarra last night. Same ole, same ole... except for the really fast part after the pseudo rocky-area where I was chattering all over the trail at speed because I'd forgotten which way my shock travel remote works and had flicked it into lockout. I'd forgotten what it was like to ride a hardtail.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Did a short hot lap of the Silvan trails this evening. Perfect temperature and the trails were perfect. One can really start pushing into the corners now. One other rider out there plus there was evidence of some other ham-fisted numbskull who'd been skidding into every corner!
    Can't believe no-one else is riding during this perfect weather??

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Did a short hot lap of the Silvan trails this evening. Perfect temperature and the trails were perfect. One can really start pushing into the corners now. One other rider out there plus there was evidence of some other ham-fisted numbskull who'd been skidding into every corner!
    Can't believe no-one else is riding during this perfect weather??
    I've been riding but posting photos and stuff on my blog more than forums....as i'm just to busy to keep cross posting

I'm off for a few weeks now and Puddleduck arrives on Friday for a week and we will be riding some Canterbury trails...then we head off somewhere else.... not sure yet.. maybe Queenstown

I/m also trying to work out a possible heli drop at Arthurs pass with a 3hr downhill ride...... we will keep you posted i'm sure.

In other news... i just entered the 2009 single speed champs in rotorura for April.... which should be alot of fun hehe.

HO HO HO

More on my blog
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 12-23-2008 at 05:34 PM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Just want to wish you all a merry xmas and hope that you ride like you stole it!!

All the best.

Paul

trail fairy
    well siad ILMP

Woot woot

Braaap braaap

Ho ho ho

Merry merry X all

be well be safe maxxis and ta and someone get a ride in for us too will ya

chur

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Ho! Ho! Ho! to you to bro See you for the 09 single speed champs in April (if you don't see me first)

trail fairy
    Whoooo woot woot

I feel the need the need for single speed, time to kick the tires and light the fires!

Yeahhaa sounds good there Paul, dam straight be looking to saddle up for that one for sure, am liking what I read, even if I can only do one lap sit down and have a beer, that will be me, whip something up off TM

Awesome, enjoy the big day 2morrow dude hope Santa is kind to you, be safe bro

C ya when we C ya
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Couple of hours in the hills last night - a little out of shape really. My roady mate has been doing mostly roady miles and not much MTB - so he struggled a little bit as well. Damn in was rocky!

When we got back to his joint we had a quick dip in the pool then quaffed cold Coke. The bikes were sitting in the hot sun.

All of a sudden PFFFFFFFT! from his back tyre. It turns out he'd sliced the sidewall almost through and the pressure must have gone up enough in the hot sun to pop what was left. LOL. Amazing we even made it back home TBH.

Page 51 of 156 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 ... LastLast