ok'ish
    rainy
    really rainy
    cold, windy and rainy
    really cold, really windy and rainy
    cold and windy
    humid
    ok

I was suffering and focussed to the extent that the weather only affected me when was really cold.

The wet rocks, steep slippery rocky hills and slippery gully's soon sorted out those who could ride from the converted roadies [if you'll forgive my slight insult ].

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I did the 90km epic - it started raining right as we got off the first bit of fire trail and onto the singletrack (albeit lightly) - ie, about 350 meters into the race. It calmed down quickly, but before we got to the first fire trail there was quite a drop of rain, and by the time the Sport train got to those first fire trails it was already mud and wet clay.
    At one point in the race, I noticed the rain coming down at about a 50-55 degree angle (ie, almost horizontal).

That last 20km was no fun at all - mostly because we'd already done 70km, and it was across slippery rocks which just reminded me of Werribee. At the final checkpoint there were miserable faces all around. I was cramping by that point (didn't drink enough during the 4th hour) so couldn't take any technical stuff - silly mistake unfortunately and probably added about 20 minutes (probably more) to my overall time. Before that I had also made the mistake of taking a downhill section with the lockout still set on - that was no fun at all.

Had a spectacular off (and nice slide across, fortunately, grass) while I tried to pass Jess Douglas in stupidly muddy conditions on grass through those rocky last 25km - was within 100 meters of her for probably the last 50km (was hard to lose sight of in that bright pink jersey , until I cramped up and had to stop to take a magnesium tablet. This was partly because the '50km' sign around where she passed me I thought meant "you've done 50km" - not "50km to go".

Would have been nicer to have had those fire trails at the end, rather than the singletrack (if somehow possible). On that up and down undulating fire trail I was just passing people like they were standing still (got some strange looks as I passed two guys at about 30km/h struggling at about 10km up a hill - I'm light, so can carry speed up hills . Since I've built up the new bike, it was the first time I've ever used the TPC lockout.

Tell you what though, if their state round is that first hour or so of track, I'm going to seriously love that round. That early singletrack was bloody awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Finally back on the bike, rode a quick 16kms at lysty the week before, 15kms around the local bike trails during the week and 32kms at Lysterfield again on melb. cup day. Slowly building up a bit of fitness after 6 weeks off the bike and a holiday in noosa !

New track from the Hallam nth carpark has ruined a good downhill burst. Actually enjoyed it more coming back up, climbing those switch backs provided a bit of a challenge.

Lysty wasnt as muddy as I thought it would be after all that rain on sunday.

Just happy to be back on the bike

Cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    My brother myself and a mate did the Yarra trails today. Started at Westerfolds and went into Chandler Hwy. On the way back Mitchell was riding point on the drinking fountain loop near Heidleburg, and he came upon a big tiger curled up. Skidding to a stop made the tige rear up and then it went for the undergrowth. I was on the scene a few seconds later but missed seeing it. Our already-elevated heart rates went collectively up, but it was well gone. A couple of of minutes later a big two foot blue tongue thought it would be funny to run across a piece of corrugated iron on the edge of the track, sending us off again.
    Then we went to Nuclear_Powereds Rocket cafe in H'burg for lunch mmm...good.
    J_775 you'd be interested to know that they were all too pleased to refill our water bladders out the back, especially when we told them we'd been refered there by MTBers. So there should be a warm reception there from now on.
    Back to the cars, 44km, good fun!

mtbr member
    Hud that sounds like a close call. I've never had one rear up at me.

The trails around Heidleburg are full of tiger snakes. I ran over the tail of a tiger snake last Summer on the trail beside the boardwalk thing in between westerfolds and Heidleberg.

I'm not sure if they eat rabbits but anything that does would have to be having no trouble finding food around there.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    My brother myself and a mate did the Yarra trails today. Started at Westerfolds and went into Chandler Hwy. On the way back Mitchell was riding point on the drinking fountain loop near Heidleburg, and he came upon a big tiger curled up. Skidding to a stop made the tige rear up and then it went for the undergrowth. I was on the scene a few seconds later but missed seeing it. Our already-elevated heart rates went collectively up, but it was well gone. A couple of of minutes later a big two foot blue tongue thought it would be funny to run across a piece of corrugated iron on the edge of the track, sending us off again.
    Then we went to Nuclear_Powereds Rocket cafe in H'burg for lunch mmm...good.
    J_775 you'd be interested to know that they were all too pleased to refill our water bladders out the back, especially when we told them we'd been refered there by MTBers. So there should be a warm reception there from now on.
    Nice one Snakes? I f'kin hate them! Sounds like you had a good one- those trails are fun hey

Just to let you peeps know- a bunch of us are meeting at Lysty at 10am tomorrow at the bottom lake carpark. If anyone wants a nice social ride- rock up

Paul.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by woody45
    Hud that sounds like a close call. I've never had one rear up at me.

The trails around Heidleburg are full of tiger snakes. I ran over the tail of a tiger snake last Summer on the trail beside the boardwalk thing in between westerfolds and Heidleberg.

I'm not sure if they eat rabbits but anything that does would have to be having no trouble finding food around there.
    Yowks! That would be the worst place ever to have a snake moment. I can see you falling off the cliff into the river!
    I think snakes like frogs which are probably abundant in the area.

Scott is a tool.

Went to Forrest today......

Made the trip down the highway to Forrest today to check out the trails before the 24hr in a few weeks. It was a bit of an epic, did just over 24kms, but was hot and there is some testing climbs in the area.

Good fun though!!! Can't wait for the Kona 24hr!!!

Wal.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    ...Then we went to Nuclear_Powereds Rocket cafe in H'burg for lunch mmm...good.
    Glad they sorted you out Hud - they're nice people there. Hmm ... now that's got me thinking about their Roast Beef roll with mustard & relish. Might grab one for lunch before we hit St Andrews this arvo (P.S. told you my friends were hard to organise - we were supposed to go this morning).

No good in rock gardens..
    Hung over.....no riding......
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I've been at home sick yesterday and today - all because someone at work decided "well I don't get paid for taking sick days off, because I'm on contract, so I guess everyone else should catch what I've got and suffer". Seriously unimpressed.

So, no riding this weekend.

Trying to decide if I want to do the 6 hour at Ballarat next week solo, but I don't really. I want to ride it... just not solo

fan of maple syrup
    Hit St Andrews and did most of Hud's loops. Man ... a hot day certainly adds to the pain of some of those climbs. Only saw one other rider out there (on a carbon version the Scott Genius I have). Did 26km according to the new Polar wireless watch. I don't know if I've got the wheel circumference spot on yet though. Ridge Rd was definitely the highlight. And just in case anyone flying towards the bridge at the bottom of this part sees the massive mounds of road gravel waiting to be spread out and has the same "I wonder of they're solid enough to ride over?" thought process, I can answer that for you - they most certainly are not (apparently it looked quite amusing when I found that out).

The Powerade from the General Store was among the best 'cool drink after long ride on hot day' experiences in a while.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Hit St Andrews and did most of Hud's loops. Man ... a hot day certainly adds to the pain of some of those climbs. Only saw one other rider out there (on a carbon version the Scott Genius I have). Did 26km according to the new Polar wireless watch. I don't know if I've got the wheel circumference spot on yet though. Ridge Rd was definitely the highlight. And just in case anyone flying towards the bridge at the bottom of this part sees the massive mounds of road gravel waiting to be spread out and has the same "I wonder of they're solid enough to ride over?" thought process, I can answer that for you - they most certainly are not (apparently it looked quite amusing when I found that out).

The Powerade from the General Store was among the best 'cool drink after long ride on hot day' experiences in a while.
    Good one! We try to head out early as it does get very hot and dry out in those gullys, especially now that summer is coming.
    I'm working on linking up some tracks out in the rifle range reserve/buttermans track area, hopefully eliminating the One Tree Hill road climb, (well, substituting it anyway)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    50k trail ride yesterday and 20km XC training today. I love my new Anthem.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    Is it just me, or are they going the wrong way?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Yes We ride it backwards because we are naughty *blushes*

p.s. sorry about the camera motion- I'm still playing with the best mount (and its looking like a helmet mount is the way to go).

mtbr member
    It was great riding it the wrong way..but I think I'll save it for special occasions

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck
    It was great riding it the wrong way..but I think I'll save it for special occasions

.... every ride is a special occasion *picks out rocks from knee* *chews on painkillers*

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    Yes We ride it backwards because we are naughty *blushes*
    Mavericks ... both of you.

I really must check that place out one day.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Mavericks ... both of you.

YeeHah, but who are Goose, Slider, Ice Man et. al

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    A bunch of us are off to the Dandynong ranges tomorrow- if anyone wants to join us- let me know and i'll PM the location. 9am Start.

Its sure to be 5 degs cooler there too

Went for a ride to the "eagle's nest" as it's known among local MTB yokels. The last section is maybe a 1km climb of marbles, golf balls and embedded rocks. To add to that some retard had put a heap of logs across the steepest section at 20 foot intervals. All this meant lots of front wheel popping, back wheel spinning and cursing and swearing. The little 2.1 High Rollers were not up to it.
    Less isn't MOAR

Scott is a tool.
    Quick spin at Lysterfield this morning, i quite enjoyed the changes they've made out there. Friggin bloody hot though. Now it's bloody raining.....go figure???

Wal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Also got a quick spin at lysterfield, 16kms after work last thursday. Tracks seem different that time of day, different shadows and light etc. Suprisingly green out there with some long grass. Changes are o.k, miss the quick blast from the top carpark though.

Rode 20km this morning around the local wetland tracks and bike tracks betwween patterson river and mordialloc.

Hoping to get out to Lysty tomorrow morning again for another couple of laps.

Ive got the bug again for riding, had a couple of weeks off there for a while, but trying to make up for it now.

cheers

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Also got a quick spin at lysterfield, 16kms after work last thursday. Tracks seem different that time of day, different shadows and light etc. Suprisingly green out there with some long grass. Changes are o.k, miss the quick blast from the top carpark though.

Rode 20km this morning around the local wetland tracks and bike tracks betwween patterson river and mordialloc.

Hoping to get out to Lysty tomorrow morning again for another couple of laps.

Ive got the bug again for riding, had a couple of weeks off there for a while, but trying to make up for it now.

cheers
    Hey SC

What time are you usually out at lysty on a Thursday? We ( a mixed group) have been out there for the past few weeks at 6.30 start. If you want to join our group next thursday- your very welcome

As for the track changes- they are growing on us..... SLOWLY :/

P.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Was my first 'after work ride'. Quite enjoyed it. I finish work at 4pm in Clayton, so I get to Lysty at around 4.20. So 6.30 is a little late, but will keep it in mind and let you know if i'll join you.

cheers

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Just did 25km on the roadie, in this 32 degree stinking heat. Was going to go city and back (75+km) but it's just too hot. Needed to get some riding in though as in the last two weeks I've done neither of my rides to/from work (twice a week, so slash 150ks) and haven't done any riding on the weekends (usually 2x4 hours) due to illness. So basically in the last two weeks I've done 3 crits and that's almost it. Fitness is going to seriously suffer

Plan is to do a few laps of Lysterfield early tomorrow, before it gets hot. Need an excuse to test out my new M300 shoes :P
    Last edited by akashra; 11-16-2007 at 11:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Plan is to do a few laps of Lysterfield early tomorrow, before it gets hot.
    None of that finishing early luxury for me, I'll be racing from 10-4. In Ballarat no less, where it'll be even hotter than down here. Oh well, guess I'd better get used to it with summer almost upon us.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

I love the heat and will happily head out in the heat of the day. Only really feel it in the steep stuff when there's lot of crankin' and not much speed to generate a nice breeze.
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    None of that finishing early luxury for me, I'll be racing from 10-4. In Ballarat no less, where it'll be even hotter than down here. Oh well, guess I'd better get used to it with summer almost upon us.
    Let us know how you went with the 6hr

The plan had been to go to Lysterfield, but the amount of rain we got overnight meant it would have been a mudbath, and I don't feel like destroying trails.

Instead then, I put in 75km on the road today, 32 degrees while I was out there. That ride made it obvious the 2 weeks off and new geometry is going to take a lot to get me into any kind of race fitness, since the saddle is now higher/further forward, and I'm using my glutes/hamstrings a crapload more. I also made the stupid mistake of forgetting sunscreen, so it's taken a single ride to get those perfect cyclist tanlines

fan of maple syrup
    Hit the Yarra trails this arvo. After the amount of rain it seems like we got last night and this morning, I was expecting the ruts (in and around the water fountain loop) to at least be a bit muddy, but after 1 hour of sunshine the whole ride was completely bone dry.

Was a good ride up until my friend's 6 month old Anthem tore a linkage bolt in half - for the second time - exact same bolt. We weren't even doing anything crazy. Oh well .. nice walk back to the cars.

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra

The plan had been to go to Lysterfield, but the amount of rain we got overnight meant it would have been a mudbath, and I don't feel like destroying trails.
    Rode out at Lysty this morning just the standard lap down Hug trail, Blair witch cross the wall and up Buckle and down MIddle trail etc.
    Rain not to heavy just some nice cooling showers, tracks were not at all too wet and were just about right being nice a grippy.

Not to sure about the new sections in Hug and Middle Trail. Although I appreciate that the tracks needed building to replace heavily eroded sections and all props and respect to the people that made the effort to build the new sections but being fairly tight (good) but not bermed and even off camber in parts, they will be heavily brake rutted in a few months
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Friday I went for a 50km ride through Melbournes Yarra singletracks as a bit of preparation for the 3hr on saturday.
    If anyone knows of the singletrack over the southern side of Westerfolds park before you go under the road (entering from the east), they have had a lot of work done on them, and where there was once a maze of faint tracks everywhere, now there has been a clear, reasonably technical and uber fun trail marked out with pink ribbons. It is a 4km or so loop and if you live near it, definatly check it out.

mud slinger
    hey woody,what suberb would this roughly be the closest to as a ref? cheers
    "do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kona4lyf
    hey woody,what suberb would this roughly be the closest to as a ref? cheers
    It's around templestowe.

fan of maple syrup
    Hey Woody - can you describe this area for me?

The only part of Westerfolds I know of where you go under a road, is the Nth East corner (top right of map linked below), where the trail goes under Fitzsimmons Lane next to the Yarra. From here - heading downstream - I follow the trail alongside the river until it takes me over the footbridge.
    Map of Park

Where is this pink ribbon trail in amongst that?

mtbr member
    The pink ribbon trail is up stream from the spot where you go under Fitzsimmons rd. There is a singletrack along the river you can follow that enters on the left after going under the road (upstream).
    This track will come out at the main gravel path at the bottom of a hill. Immediatly across the the gravel path is another singletrack that will take you up to a dirt road.
    You can follow this dirt road (which runs west) up the hill further (or the singletracks around it) and when you reach the peak of the hill you should find the trail. The way i usually take is off to the left of the dirt road just before you get to the treeline at the hills peak but the loop also starts/ends just about 20 or 30 metres on the right of the road up further. Im going to ehad there tomorow so ill try to dig a stick into the ground at the trail head going off the left of the trail to help you see it, because it is very faint.
    It may take a bit of exploring because there are no markings at the trail heads (which are faint), and there are many singletracks going everywhere. You can just explore around the place which is fun anyway, or you could keep riding along the dirt roads until you begin to go down the other side of the hill, where you will see a reasonably steep and rocky dirt road going down the hill off to the left. This road will lead you to the sort of middle area of the trails.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nice work Woody! I'll be printing out your post next time we go out that way. Do any of these roads have names?

mtbr member
    This is a rough map of the area. The pink lines are the pink ribbon trail and the black lines are the river side singletrack. The think brown line is the dirt road. The roads have no names as far as i know.

map of pink ribbon trail.jpg

It's pretty rough and i dont know how good my directions are, but the whole area is worth an explore. I have progressivly found more and more trail in the area over the past year or so and i think i have found them all now, but there are still plenty of good tracks I havn't put on the map.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    _____***__________

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    From the bridge I think there is one trail that follows the river and also one that goes more 'inland' it appears the trail you are talking about is the inland one which ive never been on.

mtbr member
    We rode my new Trance X1 at Sparrow Hill.... Got around 10kms in before my arse couldn't take anymore punishment from the saddle...

mtbr member
    awesome looking bike!

fan of maple syrup
    Thanks for that Woody - most helpful. I too will be checking that out. Will make a nice addition to the end of our "to westerfolds and back" midweek ride.

I did a couple of runs on some nice singletrack around here. Really loose at the moment - lots of talcum powder build up and loose rock too. Up for some new rubber soon.
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I did a couple of runs on some nice singletrack around here. Really loose at the moment - lots of talcum powder build up and loose rock too. Up for some new rubber soon.
    For me it was the Twilight 3 hour at Macedon on Saturday afternoon/evening.
    Went out for a short ride up the 1and20 on Sunday - was going to do a few slow stints then a sprint, but I didn't realize how sore my legs were from Saturday so cut it short after about 1h45.

Need to start doing Anaerobic intervals again, as that's clearly starting to suffer.

mtbr member
    Nuclear powered. If you head out to the pink ribbon track you'll have no trouble finding it. I just got back from a ride out that way and if you go from the riverside singletrack across the gravel path onto the singletrack in front of you, about 50 metres in you'll see the track going of to the right.

I AM I AM
    On Sunday I went out for an hour on one of the usual tracks (not many to choose from in Cobar!).

I was in a ****ty mood most of the morning and when the youngest went down for her nap I decided to head out for a ride anyway (wasn't motivated to do so earlier in the day).

Not long into it I saw an Emu & some Kangaroos running off into the bush, half way through I ran out of energy because I had a very late brekky that day. Then the music beat got pumping and some of my energy came back. Towards the end it started raining and I saw an Emu & some Kangaroos again (probably the same mob). The muddy rider then went for a nice hot bath when I got back home.
    Turned a moody day into a great one! Could have just as easily stayed on the couch feeling sorry for myself.

A great ride is just so much more than a great ride isn't it! You know the ones where the wind was at your back, you were feeling energetic and amped up, and at the end you just think, gee this was a really great ride, now that's what it's all about! Sure we don't always get those moments which is what makes them even more special. My above was probably half way there in that regard.

Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast