Page 5 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Akashra, I thought those xpedo pedals were no longer available?
    Do they suit SPDs? What do you think of them?
    Really? I had no idea. I got them from BikeNow (South Melbourne), though they only have the SL/Cr ones in stock. $100 for a set (well, less for me , so pretty good value. The Ti/Ti ones I had imported. Reviews I've read say the Ti/Mg ones are peices of **** (rocks = destroyed pedals).

I haven't been using them long, but they certainly clear globs of mud should they need. To be completely honest I haven't actually decided on them yet, but I wanted to have the same pedals on both bikes as the Shimano cleats, though 'compatible', don't sit in the same position on the XPedos as the Shimano pedals (Shimano cleats have a small tab on them, which also gets you a bit stuck in the XPedo pedals - but it also means your foot sits about 1.5cm back from where it does on the Shimano pedals - which was enough to do me some knee damage at CTS. I'm still recovering from that).

But yes, they're SPD compatible. I don't recommend trying to use the same cleats long term or for enduros though.

No good in rock gardens..
    No time for a ride - too busy with work and other pressing matters.

Got a mid week singletrack jaunt in, instead.

Loving the 2.1 Mibros.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Rode upper beacy on Friday - some trails and fireroads at Walkerville yesterday and next saturday is the 12hr - where i ride solo On sunday at 5am I fly to Christchurch NZ for a week (correct- the day after the 12hr)
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 09-09-2007 at 02:46 AM.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Well, was out at the You Yangs today - I was seriously hating the first hour. The first trail we headed down (marked as #6) gave me troubles on the descent straight away, and the #9 trail had me in the gravel with a massive rash on my leg and some scrapes on my arm within the first few minutes.
    Plenty of rock hops which I just couldn't do as I'm not quite there yet, though I was able to do a few by the end of the day.

Got to the bottom though and by that point I was hating being there, but then we got to the climbs. The guys had been shooting off ahead on the descents, and it was then my turn to show them how to ride Unfortunately I kept catching up to their rear wheels and having to unclip. There were a few bits on the ascents I couldn't get over and had to walk (#13) but for interval training, those hills would be awesome - was climbing it in 8 minutes on the third attempt (110 meters climbing). The other guys preferred to come down the hill

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I managed to get out for a bit of a ride through some of the various reserves close to home this weekend, and decided to bring my camera along for the ride for a change.

Unfortunately my current pack situation meant that my spares were dumped in favour of getting my camera to fit. No problem I thought, I ride these trails all the time without as much as carrying a drink bottle. I’ll be right. Ha, yeah right!

Lately I’ve noticed the Pig complains if I haven’t taken her for a good ride for a while. Usually I get taught my lesson through personal injury, but this time it was a flat about an hour or so in to my ride, luckily not too far from home. At least the weather was nice for the walk out.

Pig flight control centre

More fun then it looks…

Punishment for my neglect!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Frustrated, I somewhat foolishly grabbed my other bike and set off in the other direction for another couple of hours until I ran out of daylight. This spot is pretty diverse, from rocky technical singletrack sections through to wide open fire trails. I got a bit carried away when I got to the fun stuff and forgot to take any photos, but there’s always next time.

As usual everything is far steeper, rougher, better then it looks. Or so I’d have you believe anyway.

I probably should try and make a bit more of an effort to take the camera riding in the future to record some of the better trails around the place.

Cheers, Dave.

I could get used to this gear and suspension craze!

A very tired old pebble eating device, the only original component aside from the frame itself!

Smooth resting spot

More resting

Where’s that sun going? Come back!

More singletrack

My crank devouring shoe, long overdue for replacement!

I imagine next time I take my old Klein out I'll be similarly chastised too, LOL.

I don't often take my camera as it's a bit large, and I have to carry it separately in a bumbag. (and generally can't be bothered.....)

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah I think I’ll end up buying a smaller camera for riding and other adventures, but I really do need a bigger pack too.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo
    Hey Ducktape,

I'm trying to convince Mrs Robbo that we need a pump track in the back yard (for me, Master Five and Miss Eleven - Miss One will have to wait a couple of years... ). How big is your loop? Looks like you've got some acreage there.
    Sorry for the late reply. Our place actually backs onto the common land so it's just over the back fence. Cobar is a pretty small so there is no such worry about council knocking anything down. There are bigger ones just over in the bush too. My loop out there is only little but enough for an hour or two of fun with the kids, especially that my oldest son (4.5) has now learned to ride without training wheels and also moved onto his 16" bike talk about a proud moment for Mum!

My husband complains if I go out there and do any digging, he reckons I should do something more productive! And if I do end up digging / changing things the kids just end up playing with the dirt rather than riding.

For back yard pump tracks I believe Dogonfr is the man to talk to! Although don't know if you should show your wife

4th Of July Pic's & Debate

Scott is a tool.

Just got back from Lysty....

Went for a spin out at Lysterfiled this morning, it was nice to finally get back to the car and not be caked in mud!!! But sad to see a whole lot of rut's in the place of those puddles.

Few angry park ranger signs out there at the moment too.

Oh well, good times!!

Wal.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    What are the rangers beefing about? I haven't been there for a while.

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    What are the rangers beefing about? I haven't been there for a while.
    They've put some signs up on the track that started from up at the top of the park just off Boys Farm Track. By all means it was an "illegal track" and completly justified, i wasn't having a go about merely commenting.

Wal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm Mt stromlo blue track Saturday lunchtime, (corc photographer included heh) back again to do it all again sunday morning 730, pretty cold at that time of the morning. Worth it for some of the sweet runs coming down

mtbr member
    First time ever @ Macedon. I'd only go back if I want to be challenged by climbing really steep hills.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Weekend for me was the 12hr at Mt Cotterel - man that's one tough track. Got rocks? I really struggled with that one technically, and the heat really got me bad after the second lap.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck
    First time ever @ Macedon. I'd only go back if I want to be challenged by climbing really steep hills.
    Really?? Macedon was one of my favorite tracks, and what I liked about it was that it's easy enough to be ridden by a beginner rider with the exception of a couple of switchbacks, and steep climbs - and steep climbs are mostly about strength and/or endurance/fitness, rather than technical ability.

Mind you, out of our group of 12 or so when we went out there, I was one of only a few who could make those really steep uphills (despite being one of the slowest descenders).

I believe they used to run a state round at Macedon which I would have really liked to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Weekend for me was the 12hr at Mt Cotterel - man that's one tough track. Got rocks? I really struggled with that one technically, and the heat really got me bad after the second lap.

Really?? Macedon was one of my favorite tracks, and what I liked about it was that it's easy enough to be ridden by a beginner rider with the exception of a couple of switchbacks, and steep climbs - and steep climbs are mostly about strength and/or endurance/fitness, rather than technical ability.

Mind you, out of our group of 12 or so when we went out there, I was one of only a few who could make those really steep uphills (despite being one of the slowest descenders).

I believe they used to run a state round at Macedon which I would have really liked to do.
    Hi A,

The reason I didn't like it was that there was no "flow" to the trails. On one potentially great section of fast up/downhill single track that crosses a couple of fire roads there were 3 trees that we had to get off and climb over. Also, there did not seem to be any other sections of singletrack that were longer than 500m, most were shorter.

Unless there is a section of trails that we didn't find...I'm disappointed. I'd read that it was good. We didn't see any tire tracks, and only saw two other riders - so maybe it's lost favour??

Those steep hills sure were steep though. There was one section that was crazy - up down left right down right up left up down right left up up left up down steep right... I've never averaged such a slow speed or spent so much time in the 32/34 (on a 29er mind you).

Good training for the Golden Triangle Epic that I have my eye on though

I'm looking forward to hitting Woodend (but have read that it is currently closed.)

For the Vic readers, what are your favourite trails/trail network?

Cheers,
    PD

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I'm looking forward to hitting Woodend (but have read that it is currently closed.)
    Oh, sorry, my mistake. When you said Macedon, I thought you were referring to Woodend. Woodend is just awesome.

Never got a chance to get out due to family functions - ate too much pavlova....

*Buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrp!*

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Never believe a riding buddy when he says “I haven’t been doing much on the bike”, it’s code for “I’ve been riding like buggery, and I’m going to make you hurt”!

To recover, on Sunday I ended up going for a bit of a walk instead of a ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Never believe a riding buddy when he says “I haven’t been doing much on the bike”, it’s code for “I’ve been riding like buggery, and I’m going to make you hurt”!

To recover, on Sunday I ended up going for a bit of a walk instead of a ride.
    I'm with you there, the last two mates I've ridden with have taken this a step further though, they take it easy one week, and make me look great, the next week they school me, big time. Farnarklers.

fan of maple syrup
    For the Vic readers, what are your favourite trails/trail network?
    I'm really liking the Yarra Trails at the moment - especially now I've discovered the section between Heidelberg/Flats and Fitzsimmons La/Westerfolds Park. Not very hilly, but a great bit of track, and the section that goes beside the boardwalk next to Odyssey House is great too - especially at night. But the main reason I like these trails is that the Heidelberg point that I start at is only a 10 min ride away.

Other than that, I love a good session out at the Youies. I used to be a fan of Lysterfield, but I think whoever works on the tracks there (drainage, berm design etc) could learn a thing or two from the guys that work out at the Youies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    I'm really liking the Yarra Trails at the moment - especially now I've discovered the section between Heidelberg/Flats and Fitzsimmons La/Westerfolds Park. Not very hilly, but a great bit of track, and the section that goes beside the boardwalk next to Odyssey House is great too - especially at night. But the main reason I like these trails is that the Heidelberg point that I start at is only a 10 min ride away.

Other than that, I love a good session out at the Youies. I used to be a fan of Lysterfield, but I think whoever works on the tracks there (drainage, berm design etc) could learn a thing or two from the guys that work out at the Youies.
    The Yarra is my 'home' trail too, I've ridden it to death, but it has some wonderful sections. I hear what you are saying about Lysty, but the descent from the top of new section of the XC course, down to the point where the stupid berms startis great fun...stay off the brakes as much as possible, skim over the braking bumps YEE HA. The section from the end of the 2nd bridge to the uphill straight that leads to the start/finish straight is a riot too.

I love it when the trails are fast and flow really well.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I'm with you there, the last two mates I've ridden with have taken this a step further though, they take it easy one week, and make me look great, the next week they school me, big time.
    That’s rough. I like their style!

The other good one is when I’m on the SS and rock up to a weekly group ride I haven't been on for a while. “Been doing much riding Dave?” standard answer “Nah not too much recently” followed by “Lets ride somewhere different tonight” as they head towards the closest, steepest hill they can find. Pricks!

It's all good, I think bluffing is pretty standard practise regardless of if you’re racing or just rolling around on a friendly trail ride!

Got a mid week ride in - lots of granny gear climbs, seat up the a$$, chin on the bars steep stuff etc.

fan of maple syrup
    ...but the descent from the top of new section of the XC course, down to the point where the stupid berms startis great fun...stay off the brakes as much as possible, skim over the braking bumps YEE HA.
    The guys I ride with, we're all adults, we don't do anything silly, and we consider ourselves pretty mature. But the amount of times we re-group at the top of this hill you're talking about (i.e. wait for the slowest climber) and say things like "You head off first" "No, YOU head off first" "You" "No .. you!" Happens every time ... and yes, we go hell for leather down here as a result, because whoever takes off first knows they're going to have 4 or 5 guys right on their tail. We love flying down that part. The little jump you can get off that rock near the top is good too. It's just a pity it all ends in those really crap berms.
    The section from the end of the 2nd bridge to the uphill straight that leads to the start/finish straight is a riot too.
    Yeah, I've just gotten to the point where I launch off that mini-rock drop. We call that point 'Cam Rock' - a friend of a friend (named Cam) broke his collar-bone there.

Page 5 of 155 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast