Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Victorian State Series round 3 at the You Yangs (Stockyards) for me today.
    I headed out there too. 8th in Elite for me, not bad given I had an altercation with a car on the way home from work on friday and spent several hours in emergency .

Not sure if I'll head out on the roady tomorrow morning, might sleep in and rest instead.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by fezi
    44km. 1700 vertical meters climbed + roaring southerly = me shagged. All done on my hardtail converted to a cyclo cross demon bike. Skinny tyres hurt my butt.

Where did you ride? pictures of this cyclocross monster would rock!

Those winds really add some resistance hey

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword

I live on the central coast of NSW. So from my door to the National Park is maybe 5km. I'll take some pics of the bike tommorow. I love riding in the wind generally, mostly we get a north easterly and it usually pushes me home but todays southerly was a killer coming home.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    On friday I parked the car at Sth Warrandyte fires station, took the singletrack down to Warrandyte, crossed the bridge, turned down osbourne road and threaded my way through back street and singletrack to Menzies road. Took Menzies road all the way up to Eltham-Yarra Glen road (Nice amount of singletrack along the edge of the road) and hooked up to the singletrack that comes out at the antique store, then went on to do the usual ST Andrews loop) 75km all up.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    I headed out there too. 8th in Elite for me, not bad given I had an altercation with a car on the way home from work on friday and spent several hours in emergency .
    Fair effort of you to catch and pass Jack. Him and Ronan passed me on the last lap at the top of Cressy Climb, with Ben Randall not far behind. You were a long way behind when you came across the line after I finished, so nice work
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

fan of maple syrup
    Headed out to the You Yangs and discovered the aforementioned State Series (had no idea it was on). Looked like an interesting course - I think it included some of the link track that's partially built which eventually end up at the new section they're replacing over the other side of the park. Nice bit of track that. Lucky we'd made it back to the top carpark by the time the race leaders were coming through. Also lucky they weren't using some of the DH tracks so we had somewhere to ride ... though I missed not having Cressy to ride on.

Lots of expensive bikes by the looks of it. The Felt guys seemed to be in the lead when we were watching.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    When the Elites started passing me on my third lap, Spink (Giant) and Jackson (Scott) passed me in the middle of the big climb; Litgermoet (Specialized) at the bottom of the firetrail climb; Maebus (Ducati) at the top; Ronan (Specialized) and Jack (Felt) in the first minute of the Cressey Climb descent; Randall (Kona) halfway down the descent.
    That I'm aware of, none of the other Elites lapped me, but the places certainly changed a lot between then and the finish.

Hardly makes it sound like "The Felt guys" were winning though :P
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

fan of maple syrup
    This was the first lap, at the top of cressy. Obviously their virtue didn't hold out for subsequent laps

I thought I saw 2 guys with Felt jerseys but if you're saying there was only one, it wouldn't surprise me - I really know nothing about the race scene. It was probably the same guy and I was seeing double from being tired. In any case, I just found it interesting to watch.

mtbr member
    When the Elites started passing me on my third lap, Spink (Giant) and Jackson (Scott) passed me in the middle of the big climb; Litgermoet (Specialized) at the bottom of the firetrail climb; Maebus (Ducati) at the top; Ronan (Specialized) and Jack (Felt) in the first minute of the Cressey Climb descent; Randall (Kona) halfway down the descent.
    That I'm aware of, none of the other Elites lapped me, but the places certainly changed a lot between then and the finish.

Not sure how Matt passed you then, he was behind me for the whole race :?. Jack was up there with the top 4 guys after the first lap though, so I'm not surprised someone would think he was winning .

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007

Pics as requested. I didnt notice when I wacked these wheels/tyres on but there is next to no clearance on the front end.... it works. I'm waiting on some drop bars for it. I tried fitting a 36/50 chainring I've got lying around but it fouls on the chainstay.

mtbr member
    44km tomorrow on my Ironhorse HT (followed by a quenching ale) on my ADO/RDO, and a lazy 45km on the roadie before playing Dad on Saturday night.
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

No good in rock gardens..
    Legs sore from a gym workout midweek, so I headed for the steeper hills where I could spin rather than push. Saw the biggest golden orb web I've ever seen - would have stretched 15 feet across, very intricate, and with a suitably large orb weaver in the middle. I'd hate to ride through the thing...

My bottom bracket is on the way out, and for some odd reason my order from T7 over a week ago hasn't arrived yet - which is very unusual.

My LBS got me some Stan's in so I'm running that in my getto setup - much better than the makeshift stuff I was using before.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Legs sore from a gym workout midweek, so I headed for the steeper hills where I could spin rather than push. Saw the biggest golden orb web I've ever seen - would have stretched 15 feet across, very intricate, and with a suitably large orb weaver in the middle. I'd hate to ride through the thing...

My bottom bracket is on the way out, and for some odd reason my order from T7 over a week ago hasn't arrived yet - which is very unusual.

My LBS got me some Stan's in so I'm running that in my getto setup - much better than the makeshift stuff I was using before.
    Nice work T7 delays? yeh quite odd. I recently got some Endura gels and drink powder for next to nothing.... bloody great stuff. Nothing worse than a dodge BB- shows that you do teh K's though

I've kinda stopped posting my rides (unless they are in a different local ) because i'm out riding most evenings at present.... i'd hate to be spamming with the same old

A ride of interest here has been Bottle lake Park here in Christchurch- again just 10 mins away form my front door!. I've ridden it twice last week and one was in a huge thunder storm!!!! Its nice flowy singletrack through pine forests next to the ocean. Very nice to be able to hammer the single track as well as some monster ups and technical stuff on Port Hills. The google earth file is on my blog if you are interested

I'm finding new stuff to ride weekly! Recently changed tyres to conti speed king supersonics which i had used once last season- never rated them AT ALL in Aus- but on wet soil (its been raining heaps) they rock!!! And going from 2.3 800g+ tread to skinny 450g rubber makes me feel like a pro!! hahah! One thing for sure though- I've found the place that i'll be riding single speed over winter- Bottle Lake is perfect!..... as it has no major climbs just ups n' downs and single track everywhere!

Talking of rain- 40+mm in 36hrs here- its been mental. Crater Rim race called off too. First rain I've seen in 3 months! and very unusual apparently for here.

I'm off to Port hills tomorrow for some k's before flying to Aus on Wednesday- we are heading to the Yarra Trails for a social ride before heading to the Otways for the 23rd. Should be a blast!

If you are nr Melb mate- maybe we could grab a drink and talk bikes when i arrive? (or go riding!!)

Most of my shenanigans are in my blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ilostmypassword & fezi:
    I am looking at getting a GPS setup for my MTB. What Hardware and software are you using?
    I like the idea of looking at it in google earth

mtbr member
    I used (until I lost it) a Garmin Edge 305. It's more of a bike computer than a GPS, with heart rate and cadence functions. The new 705 has a colour screen and better mapping functions, if I had the cash I'd definitely go for one of those.

On the software front I used garmin's included package, and another program called Sportstracks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    I used (until I lost it) a Garmin Edge 305. It's more of a bike computer than a GPS, with heart rate and cadence functions. The new 705 has a colour screen and better mapping functions, if I had the cash I'd definitely go for one of those.

On the software front I used garmin's included package, and another program called Sportstracks.
    Lost? Stolen, fell off while riding, misplaced or other?
    I was looking at the 705 but they are not here till the end of March. My LBS is chasing the importer for me.
    My wife has a forerunner 305 as she is doing a triathlon. I will have a look at Sportstracks.

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    I use a garmin 305. I've only had it a for two weeks so I'm realatively new to it. Software I'm using atm is called sporttracks. Its a us based thing that does most things although I really havent used it that much yet.

Did a bit of a mixup of rolling dirt roads and rocky, washed out doubletrack yesterday. Lots of loose rock, gravel and holes full of washed out loam. The Stan's equipped Mibros are still going strong - though it's hard to run really low pressure in a smallish tyre that has a super supple casing. Hit a corner too fast and you can feel the tyres wallow if they are too soft.

I think my 2.2 Cortez's would be awesome tubeless.

Got me new bottom bracket - hip hooray! (the ballsup was my fault, not T7's....) So no more clunky cranks for me!
    Last edited by Sideknob; 02-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.
    Less isn't MOAR

Last night I did a short 1.5 hour singletrack ride with the bloke from across the road (a died in the wool roadie) and his mate. Loose dirt and gravel pits abounded.
    Less isn't MOAR

fan of maple syrup
    Hit up the Yarra Trails and the pink ribbon loop yesterday arvo - really lovin that loop. I do this ride nearly twice a week regularly now, and it's awesome to have something so close by, and to add some hills to the normally flat Yarra trails.

Note: Got stung in the head by a bee near all those prickly flowery bushes. 2nd time stung in the head under the helmet (first time was European wasp). What are the odds??
    Last edited by nuclear_powered; 02-24-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    KAOS shop ride on Saturday morning - about 4 hours in the saddle; 2 1/2 hours out at Lysterfield on Sunday getting the new Anthem all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Hit up the Yarra Trails and the pink ribbon loop yesterday arvo - really lovin that loop. I do this ride nearly twice a week regularly now, and it's awesome to have something so close by, and to add some hills to the normally flat Yarra trails.

Note: Got stung in the head by a bee near all those prickly flowery bushes. 2nd time stung in the head under the helmet (first time was European wasp). What are the odds??

I can fail to notice a beesting now, having been stung so many times of late. But those European wasps bloody HURT.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Lucky you, I got stung by a bee at Eildon doing a practice lap on Saturday, and nearly had it end my race the next day due to my arm swelling up like a balloon. Never had a problem before, so that was a little scary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hey nuclear, where abouts on the Yarra Trail is the Pink Ribbon loop? I am new to riding, just done Lysterfield a few times and Yarra Trail a couple of times, as I live on the Mullum Mullum trail extension

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiemistake
    Hey nuclear, where abouts on the Yarra Trail is the Pink Ribbon loop? I am new to riding, just done Lysterfield a few times and Yarra Trail a couple of times, as I live on the Mullum Mullum trail extension
    If you're riding the Yarra Trail downstream from where Mullum Mullum creek feeds into it, then you're probably riding right past it. It's located in Candlebark Park, which is on the other side of Fitzsimmons Lane to Westerfolds (i.e. on the East side of Fitz Ln). This link should land you in the centre of the Park:
    http://www.street-directory.com.au/s...=598&StateID=1

The way I start the loop is by riding south up the hill along the track that runs to the left (according to map) alongside the trail coming off the footbridge over the Yarra. This trail crosses the Main Yarra Trail (gravel), so if you were heading down the Main Yarra trail from Mullum Mullum, then just after you pass the turnoff to the footbridge, you would turn left up the trail. Keep going up the hill to the left of an empty dam, then there's a trail heading off to the right into the bush. From here I pretty much just follow the most used trail and about 4 -5km later I'm back at the start. Along the way you will see little bits of pink ribbon tied to trees.

I'm probably going to head out there tonight or tomorrow so PM me if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks nuclear, I won't be able to ride until Saturday arvo, too much work on atm mate. If you are planning on heading out there then let me know though

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Went out to Silvan, up to Olinda and down inot Doonagalla. Those trails are in great nick at the moment. 35+km and I am feeling flat as a board - 1 week after the Odyssey.
    A few of us are planning to do my Warrandyte circuit- including the pink ribbon section of the yarra trails next sat. Could make it an MTBR ride if there is interest. Will start a thread next week.

Couple of hours of singletrack and dirt roads, a few good climbs with my buddy and sometimes MTBR poster HardDrive.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    port hills 45km +. as for the maxxis crossmarks.... i rode them at the otways and here- all i can say is that they are going on my commuter- what total shite

mtbr member
    Rode the full loop at Sparrow's Hill on Saturday. First time out there on the hardtail. First crash on the hardtail too around Sparrow's Loop. Easy road ride this morning along the M7.

port hills 45km +. as for the maxxis crossmarks.... i rode them at the otways and here- all i can say is that they are going on my commuter- what total shite

No good eh? My mate has a set on his I Drive and is pretty happy with them by and large. That said, there does seem to be a lot of tread ramping going on, which I'd not a huge fan of, especially on a back tyre.

My LBS has some of the new Monorails coming in - interesting looking tyre but once again a really ramped centre tread.
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Victorian State Series Round 4 up at Jubber Land (Castlemaine) for me today. 4th place. Seriously boring/lonely race. Once again, Hossack sandbagged and won by over 3 minutes to Consto. Seriously shameful that kinda behavior :/

On a lighter note, I wanted to copy a quote from my weblog, mostly praising CVRR for the top job of running the event they did - a I've been getting sick of the absolute farce organization of some other events. CVRR running the event today just went to prove that top notch event management CAN be pulled off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    But on another note, there's something to be said for the organisers (Central Vic Rocky Riders) - they seriously did everything right. There was signage all the way from the closest town to find the venue. You could actually talk to the organisers (I'm not sure what it is about the lack of people skills in cycling, but I've certainly noticed it). The track was clearly marked and not at all ambiguous. It had A and B lines. All categories were started far enough apart such that they didn't interfere with each other. The timing was done with no hiccups. The presentations were started (and completed) in a timely manner. They had their barbecue and drinks available. And most importantly, results were available not long after 4pm the same day!
    Seriously guys, top job.
    From http://zero.racetime.com.au/?act=show&id=38223
    Last edited by akashra; 03-02-2008 at 12:25 AM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    No good eh? My mate has a set on his I Drive and is pretty happy with them by and large. That said, there does seem to be a lot of tread ramping going on, which I'd not a huge fan of, especially on a back tyre.

My LBS has some of the new Monorails coming in - interesting looking tyre but once again a really ramped centre tread.
    They just lack traction out of the seat on the looser surfaces here..... and wash out terribly on loose over top.... as for rocky stuff..... lol. Don't get me wrong- they were fine for a season when i rode them downunder on smooth hardpack..... but I'm discovering that a few more g's and some tread work better for me these days

I'm going to treat myself to a set of UST i think..... but what? hmmmmm

mtbr member
    Just went out for a quick ride around Hiedleberg. Hadn't been out for a proper ride in two weeks so it was good to get out again, even just for 30 km.

Good news though for me. I got a job at The Bicycle Superstore, Nunawading, building up bikes. No more paying $15 for new cables anymore!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, I went for a trundle at Lysterfield Lake and its a beautiful place indeed.
    Stayed away from the Olympic course but wandered around the perimeter of the park

Its been a long time since I''ve ridden and bumped into other riders, but I couldn't help noticing things about the average rider out there.

A question for you all, do you give way to riders going uphill or do you try and mow them down?

Everytime I got into a rhythm, some idiot thinks he on a private DH course.

I agree DH is fun, but not at the expense of causing an accident.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by woody45
    Just went out for a quick ride around Hiedleberg. Hadn't been out for a proper ride in two weeks so it was good to get out again, even just for 30 km.

Good news though for me. I got a job at The Bicycle Superstore, Nunawading, building up bikes. No more paying $15 for new cables anymore!

Hooray!

Discounts for all!

Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedray
    Well, I went for a trundle at Lysterfield Lake and its a beautiful place indeed.
    Stayed away from the Olympic course but wandered around the perimeter of the park

Its been a long time since I''ve ridden and bumped into other riders, but I couldn't help noticing things about the average rider out there.

A question for you all, do you give way to riders going uphill or do you try and mow them down?

Everytime I got into a rhythm, some idiot thinks he on a private DH course.

I agree DH is fun, but not at the expense of causing an accident.

Ray
    yeah uphill should have the right of way.... but manners and following rules has never been a strong point on most of Australia's trails Lack of education towards trail rules Australia wide is a real problem. Lysterfield though seems to have park rangers that seem to not give a toss Sadly at lystefield you will often see people riding without helmets, not riding on defined trails, harassing wildlife, dropping rubbish, walkers on bike trails... again oblivious to the laws/ rules.

Some simple signage on entry outlining the rules of the trail would help

Shame that you experienced a bummer ride at Lysterfield though- as it can be a great place to ride. I recommend riding week days to avoid the muppets.
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 03-02-2008 at 04:40 PM.

fan of maple syrup
    Had the first of what is hoped to be several rides this week on the Forrest trails in the Otways yesterday - part of my 'work from Apollo Bay for a week' plan.

Sunday I stuck to the Forrest trailhead. Started by climbing up Barildjaru trail to the Lake Elizabeth turnoff, then back down Red Carpet Run (which funnily enough had a red carpet down near the blackberry bushes - first time I've sen this, dunno what tree it is that leaves that red stuff though). Such an awesome run, though I think I preferred it over New Years before they chopped back a lot of the undergrowth near the end of the run. Saw signs of many a stack - washouts into the bushes etc. Looks like people had fun here during the Odyssey. The trail was still in excellent condition though.

Stopped to take a few pics with the phone but forgot cable so I'll post them later. After this I did this run again (up and back) without stopping for pics, then crossed the main road to try out the trails on the west side of the Forrest - Apollo Bay Rd. Never done these ones, but I have to say - awesome! Started out on the basic Roller Coaster, then onto Third Time Lucky, before branching off to Follow The Dog, which has so many awesome berms and jumps. Some pretty steep climbs, but rewarded with perfectly linked berms on the way down - makes me wonder what the guys who built the ones at Lysterfield were thinking.

The best part about riding here is that it's 30 mins (25 if you nail it with no slow cars in front of you) from the beach. Chilly when you first get in, but perfect way to cool off after a few hours in the saddle.

Anyway, tomorrow when it cools down I might do a few local rides, then back out to Forrest and the Yaugher trails later in the week - hopefully a few MTBR'ers might be joining me.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Lysterfield though seems to have park rangers that seem to not give a toss Sadly at lystefield you will often see people riding without helmets, not riding on defined trails, harassing wildlife, dropping rubbish, walkers on bike trails... again oblivious to the laws/ rules.

Some simple signage on entry outlining the rules of the trail would help
    We discussed the "give way to climbers" at the last Peddlers club meeting, and the feedback has gone back to the ranger(s) - signage will hopefully be going up soonish.

mtbr member
    I got out on all 3 bikes on the Weekend
    A quick Saturday morning road ride before the wife went to work
    Raced BMX with the kids at Park Orchards Saturday arvo
    Did the Great Dividing Trail from Ballarat to Creswick and back on Sunday

All in all a well rounded weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Went for a quick lap around Manly Dam this morning before work , it could do with a few weeks of fine weather

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt
    I got out on all 3 bikes on the Weekend
    A quick Saturday morning road ride before the wife went to work
    Raced BMX with the kids at Park Orchards Saturday arvo
    Did the Great Dividing Trail from Ballarat to Creswick and back on Sunday

All in all a well rounded weekend
    What sort of trail is GDT over that section?

mtbr member
    The GDT as it leaves Ballarat is basically a granitic sand path. You then go under the freeway and the scenery and trail changes completely.
    From here through to almost Creswick it is either singletrack or firetrail. Some of the single track was on raised "humps" and skirted way too close to trees to get around.
    Navigationally it was a little tricky - although well signposted there were many turnoffs from one trail to the next with the trail markers generally on the inside of the corners. Fortunately I was tagging along with a mate who had done it a couple of times so just followed him.
    There is a lot of singletrack around there that we did not go on that Phil tells me is quite technical - particularly at Nerrina also said that further on the trail goes to singletrack for 10+Km
    I'd go back ther for another visit

fan of maple syrup
    Just got back from doing the Old Horden Vale road down at Apollo Bay. Such a cool little track that one, nice and overgrown. A few log jumps have been added since I rode it a few years ago, but the soggy corner has deteriorated to the point you have to get off and walk it. Chased either a fox or a ginger cat for about 100m - kinda only got glimpses of it. Once at the bottom I rode up and back along Apollo Bay - Beech Forest Rd for a few km, then along a bit of trail to Marengo - a nice single track some kids had been making was overgrown and disused, pity. Then back to town. So many places where some wicked trails could be cut - if only it wasn't all private property

Heading back to Forrest tomorrow to spend a few hours on the Yaugher trails, with maybe one more Red Carpet run to finish off.

mtbr member
    The GDT as it leaves Ballarat is basically a granitic sand path. You then go under the freeway and the scenery and trail changes completely.
    From here through to almost Creswick it is either singletrack or firetrail. Some of the single track was on raised "humps" and skirted way too close to trees to get around.
    Navigationally it was a little tricky - although well signposted there were many turnoffs from one trail to the next with the trail markers generally on the inside of the corners. Fortunately I was tagging along with a mate who had done it a couple of times so just followed him.
    There is a lot of singletrack around there that we did not go on that Phil tells me is quite technical - particularly at Nerrina also said that further on the trail goes to singletrack for 10+Km
    I'd go back ther for another visit
    I rode the Great Dividing Trail with a guy called Phil about mid last year. Great trail, especially the singletrack on top of the water race (with the un-passable trees).

If the Phil your talking about rides a giant trance I think it's probably the same guy.

Just got back from a 40km ride on the trails just before Westerfolds park and found a big new singletrack on a river that comes off the Yarra. I didn't get to explore it totally as I ran out of time but I'm definatly heading back this weekend.

mtbr member
    I rode the Great Dividing Trail with a guy called Phil about mid last year. Great trail, especially the singletrack on top of the water race (with the un-passable trees).

If the Phil your talking about rides a giant trance I think it's probably the same guy.

Yeah - he works with your dad right!
    I was suposed to do the 12 hr with you until I buggered up my knee
    This internet is a small place EH!

Weekend Warrior
    First time on this thread, but thought I'd better share a few photos of some Fraser Coast riding. It was perfect conditions, after the last 2 months of wet weather the trails had finally dried out. THe only negative would be the deep ruts on some great flowy tracks thanks to some tools on motos.The photos are courtesy of a German bloke called Steffen. He's keen to experience as much of Australia as possible.
    IMG_8804[1].jpg

IMG_8805[1].jpg

IMG_8807[1].jpg

IMG_8813[1].jpg

IMG_8816[1].jpg

Cool pics kbryant. It sure is a lot greener than my dustbowl in Victoria.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Yeah - he works with your dad right!
    I was suposed to do the 12 hr with you until I buggered up my knee
    This internet is a small place EH!
    Yeah he does in at the ECC. Oh so that was you for the twelve hour. Small world!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Rode the Port Hills yesterday (no different to every second day )- but the summer has been bl oody magnificent here- the best in 10 yrs. Most days 22- 23 degs with sun and a breeze.

I made a point of making it a leisurely ride and took heaps of photos- chatted to riders- and generally enjoyed the beauty and weather here. I spent most of the ride on the Rapaki track to Evans Pass section to Vic Park via the Traverse and then down near the lava flow track into the city.

I've also been riding some new rubber SCHWALBE-LITTLE ALBERT & NOBBY NIC. Great tyres- but I'm still missing a larger bag as the rocks here are punishing on a XC bike/ wheelset. I think I'll be throwing the Specialized Enduro set on again. Once the Cove handjob frame arrives- I'll be pretty much riding a 120mm trail bike here- as I'm not interested in how long things take me these days- just how much fun I can have eh

Anyhow- great summer- great riding. Here are some photos. I'm off riding up again today to watch the Downhill champs on teh Lava Flow track- I'll post a few more piccys later.

Have a good one.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Wow what a ride and event today. It was kind of warm in the city (24degs ) so I was surprised to find the biggest head wind I've ridden in yet as I turned towards the hills. I could hardly turn the damn cranks! So much for an "easy ride" seeing as I was out yesterday too

The head wind- side wind- left wind - right wind lol was there all the way up the Rapaki track to the DH run at the Lava flow (one of the many "black run" tracks here). To keep the bike from wondering up the Rapaki it required even more body weight forward as per usual (which is usually a fair bit eh) which really got the back and belly screaming!

It was that windy once i got the the event that (i kid you not) my self and the bike were ner physically being blown over! No option but to stash the bike and walk to take photos in fear of being blown away!

As for the event- it is my first DH and it was a lot of fun. What stood out was the "young guns" on bloody hardtails! - most of which were bigger than the rider!

After an hour or so of watching some of the most spectacular stacks that I've ever witnessed- off i went downwards on the flowing farm track into single track back to the city.

Here are a few photos.

What a bl oody great weekend of cycle related goodness!

I headed for the loose rocky hills of Mt Herbert near home. I had intended to go out early to beat the heat, but a package arrived courtesy of eBay which distracted me a tad.

It was 10:00 by the time I rolled out and already hot. The rolling dirt road hills that lead to the start of the thick bush and start of the main ascent had been graded - so I had sections of two inch deep talcum powder, then sections of one inch bluestone that had been put down. It was interesting to see the different tracks in the powdery stuff - what looked like snake or lizard stacks, other MTB treads and the footprints of walkers.

The last bit of climbing was as loose as all get-out, all marbles and gravelly crap and I had to get off a few times. Coming down was washout city and my little 2.1 Mibro's were struggling for once. Bloody hell it's dry - dead plants, depressed looking kangaroos, absence of birds - this droguht is getting way beyond a joke.
    Less isn't MOAR

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    We did a loop from Wonga Park/Warrandyte out to the pink ribbon trails, then back. Good fun, 45 easy km, though we did miss another 4km of ST in Warrandyte SP. Then in the arvo my brother and I headed out to Kurth Kiln NP near Gembrook, we used to go out here a lot some years ago. Lots of narrow trails and smooth singletrack, excellent rigid SS country. Did 25km, there is heaps of potential here for big rides, though there is not much in the way of techy trails.
    We were intrigued to see a Parks sign warning of wild dog 'leg-hold capture devices' and we wondered how different these were to a plain old 'trap'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    We did a loop from Wonga Park/Warrandyte out to the pink ribbon trails, then back. Good fun, 45 easy km, though we did miss another 4km of ST in Warrandyte SP. Then in the arvo my brother and I headed out to Kurth Kiln NP near Gembrook, we used to go out here a lot some years ago. Lots of narrow trails and smooth singletrack, excellent rigid SS country. Did 25km, there is heaps of potential here for big rides, though there is not much in the way of techy trails.
    We were intrigued to see a Parks sign warning of wild dog 'leg-hold capture devices' and we wondered how different these were to a plain old 'trap'.
    Nice shots mate. I used to rid eat Kirth Kin a few yrs ago. Some lung busting fireroad climbs if i remember....... Turns to **** is the wet though once the motor bikes get out there.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Mt Beauty 6 hour for me on Sunday - solo. 14th at the end in rather hot weather where one rider was carted of to hospital after the race with dehydration/heat stroke.

Some Guy will have an interesting story which I'll let him tell himself

mtbr member
    That would be a very slow story in my current state.

http://racing.thylacinecycles.com/

mtbr member
    Can't say I've managed to get out recently...two straight weeks on call for work and the longest ever heat wave (it's official) in local history are making it rather difficult. Yeah, I know, I'm whingeing, but this drought is way beyond joking about...
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by L'il Matt
    Can't say I've managed to get out recently...two straight weeks on call for work and the longest ever heat wave (it's official) in local history are making it rather difficult. Yeah, I know, I'm whingeing, but this drought is way beyond joking about...
    Things are looking grim. The drought is continuing, interest rates and petrol going up, Melbourne is outgrowing itself and the ruts are getting bigger at Lysterfield. Where will it end??

Things are looking grim. The drought is continuing, interest rates and petrol going up, Melbourne is outgrowing itself and the ruts are getting bigger at Lysterfield. Where will it end??

And the Yarra river has a high faecal level apparently.
    Less isn't MOAR

fan of maple syrup
    And the Yarra river has a high faecal level apparently.
    Thanks .... now I have visions of crossing paths with people hanging their backsides over the river bank to snap one off.

Speaking of which, headed down there on Monday for a ride with the crew - the usual Heidelberg to Pink Ribbon & back. I have to say, for a 23km ride, I think I prefer that to Lysterfield these days. Of course it helps with the Yarra being only 5 min away. But yeah, Lysterfield just isn't worth the drive anymore. Especially with the recent trail work they've done - they ruined a couple of great high speed sections.

Thanks .... now I have visions of crossing paths with people hanging their backsides over the river bank to snap one off.

Beware the Chokito floating down the river.

Honestly, when I read about the crime, the gangs, the traffic congestion, the poor public transport, the pooh filled river and the crazy cost of housing, I'm so glad I got out of that place.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Beware the Chokito floating down the river.

Honestly, when I read about the crime, the gangs, the traffic congestion, the poor public transport, the pooh filled river and the crazy cost of housing, I'm so glad I got out of that place.

Same here But seriously though it was only a matter of time before it became unstuck with the main focus on Economy. Rudd has a **** load of work to do.... poor bastard.
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 03-11-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Same here But seriously though it was only a matter of time before it became unstuck with the main focus on Economy. Rudd has a **** load of work to do.... poor bastard.

With wee little John Brumby having been handed the job here, I have no faith at all things will get better. Nothing worse than a premier nobody voted for.....

Anyway, such things need not worry those of us who possess the time and space travel machine that is the mountain bike.
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    With wee little John Brumby having been handed the job here, I have no faith at all things will get better. Nothing worse than a premier nobody voted for
    You didn't vote for Steve Bracks either - here's the biggest failing of our political system. You voted for your local candidate. The sooner people stop voting for a party, thinking they've voting for the leader of it, the better.
    All Brumby is is the leader of the party which holds the most seats. Noone voted him leader.

There's absolutely nothing to stop a party appointing the next Adolf Hitler*/George Bush as their leader if that person gets voted into their own electorate seat.
    You see, Americans need to wear blame - they actually voted for their guy. We don't vote for ours.

* = Note, AH was appointed to the role of Chancellor, not voted. His candidacy for the presidency, which was by popular vote, was defeated by Hindenburg. And so ends the history lesson of something I just wanted to clear up which so many people fail to realise, despite how irrelevant it is to this thread

Okay. Back to regular programming...

fan of maple syrup
    You see, Americans need to wear blame - they actually voted for their guy.
    Actually, it's quite a lot more complex than that. Voters in the US vote for a candidate (elector) who is part of an 'electoral college', who then votes for them on behalf of their county & state. Most of the time these candidates are aligned to go with the popular vote beforehand, but there have been times in the history of US elections where it has been the case the person voted to the White House has won the most number of electoral votes, but not the most number of popular votes. The most recent of these is none other than George W Bush (1st term election). So - in this case, they didn't actually vote for their guy.

Please don't get the impression I'm a fan of the US or anything. I just like The West Wing (the TV show) and when I couldn't understand what the heck was going on, I read up on it. It really is an extremely convoluted process compared to ours.
    Okay. Back to regular programming...
    Indeed - anyone up for a Yarra - Pink Ribbon ride this arvo?

mtbr member
    The Yarra may be bad, but unfortunately the lower end of the Murray is no better, and diminishing rapidly. I've no interest in entering into the whole slanging match over the the control over the river...but it is painfully obvious that a solution needs to be found that transcends petty politics and corporate vested interests...or we're all up to our necks in Sideknob's high faecal level.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Headed back up Port Hills tonight and (at last?) I have worked out my fav tyre combo.

As you may have read- initially i was running a Speccy Eskar on the rear and Enduro on the front. Great setup- but became kinda sluggish to accelerate. Anyway to cut a seemingly long story short i've settled on a Specialized Eskar 2.3 at the front and a skinny 2.1 Little Albert for the rear. I had a grin from ear to ear. The lines i took were totally different to just two days ago... rocks were just begging me to ride over them with the big bag back on the front.

These eskars are bloody awesome tyres. Sticky, grippy in loose over and gravel, loves rocky stuff and roll so so well. The little Albert is grippy too- but is already wearing fast- but accelerates like a hooker in a hurry (apparently *ahem*)

This review pretty much spot on - http://www.leelikesbikes.com/two-rid...-23-tires.html

lol oh how I've grown to ****ing hate skinny XC tyres on the front end on loose rocky goodness

As for the ride tonight - bloody awesome. I'm waiting for my GoPro video camera to be repaired under warranty and i'll post some riding as soon as it lands.

Heading out to do the Anaconda decent into sumner on sunday with a group of mates to end up eating fish and chips on the beach - I'll post some piccys.

Damn warm over there i see? What is that all about high 30's for what 2 weeks? You guys must be exhausted. Take it easy out there eh.
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 03-14-2008 at 02:57 AM.

mtbr member
    I think Adelaide has had 14 days in a row over 35. Last two days have got to over 40 here. Bloody hot! I'm planning a big ride from my house out to Lysterfield for a mountain bike and back. Looks like I'll be heading off very early morning!
    Last edited by woody45; 03-15-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'il Matt
    The Yarra may be bad, but unfortunately the lower end of the Murray is no better, and diminishing rapidly. I've no interest in entering into the whole slanging match over the the control over the river...but it is painfully obvious that a solution needs to be found that transcends petty politics and corporate vested interests... or we're all up to our necks in Sideknob's high faecal level.
    And that, dear friends, will be most uncool.
    Less isn't MOAR

I AM I AM
    Ahh finally a trail ride, a real trail ride

Went for a ride down the Munda Biddi Trail out of Nannup (WA) to a local swimming hole. Lol, that's after I wen't around in a few circles around a real sandy moto trail (thinking - "it's supposed to be easier than this"). Trail was quite good - I thought it may have been like a groomed granny grade thing to cater for all, but it was not bad, nice singletrack & bends.
    Have to get the fitness back up so I can ride further, the 30k (guessing) return trip is pushing it at the moment!

Oh this is on my new STP 0, so still getting to know the bike. It's set up for trail riding wilth a Pike. Feels great around the corners!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Went ouot for 3hours this moring on the cyclocross with the kids in tow in their trailer, did a few fire trails and alot of parks and coffee, awsome

mtbr member
    All my riding so far since Wednesday has been on my new singlespeed. Well it's actually a pretty old and crappy mountain bike that I turned into my get around town/mountain bike when I feel like it bike. It's alot of fun to ride around the streets and on singletrack, although it can get a bit shaky and unsteady if it's too rough.

IMG_0787scaled.jpg
    IMG_0788scaled.jpg
    IMG_0789scaled.jpg

Tomorow I'm heading off for an early morning ride around the Yarra trails before the heat kicks in. I guess I'll have to head to Lysterfield another time
    Last edited by woody45; 03-15-2008 at 04:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry ducktape, didn't intend to hijack the thread for some sort of quasi environmental rant, but even carving the local trails will only prove a distraction from the grim realities of life for so long...speaking of which, first ride in a week, another tomorrow, building up for the start of the XC race season in two weeks. Woo hoo! To be honest, I suck, but having looked at the stats, I'm still faster half the field in the equivalent category in the next youngest age group. If nothing else, that's good for the ego.

Exploreur de Citée
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog
    I'm back, what a ride! Went on so many tracks that i've never ridden before, day was great until this happened......
    Geesus! How did that happened?
    D.Xenotime

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    <offtopic>

Anyone heard from Sicwombat? I've not seen him post in here for yonks! Are you still hitting the dirt Sicwombat?

</offtopic>

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Port Hills to Godley Head today- bloody awesome day on the trails with 20 degs and cloud cover.

I have not ridden to Godley head until today and i'm loving the steep rocky techy climbs and decents with mind blowing coastal views on offer. Each week I'm finding new stuff to ride in the hills- great stuff.

We met up with family in Sumner for some fish and chips and other salty snacks! Then rode back to the city. A good 4+ hours on the hills full of grins all round!

One careless moment (and trying to show off *ahem*) caused a over the bar moment resulting in some severe hand bruising/ damage- i'm having more spills of late of the 'over the bar variety' because poor line choice through rock gardens at speed is not a good look. I think I'll back off a tad until my new Cove Hand Job frame and Revelation fork arrives.......

Here are some shots of the day- 3 hardtails too

Great pics. I really like that Orange HT.

No ride for me this w/end as I was pressed for time due to work. And on top of that my quads and hammies felt like they'd been hit with a meat tenderiser from what I did at the gym the other day. So in an effort to stretch them out and as I didn't have a few hours for a ride, I went for a run as part of my crosstraining. Bloody hot.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Great pics. I really like that Orange HT.

No ride for me this w/end as I was pressed for time due to work. And on top of that my quads and hammies felt like they'd been hit with a meat tenderiser from what I did at the gym the other day. So in an effort to stretch them out and as I didn't have a few hours for a ride, I went for a run as part of my crosstraining. Bloody hot.
    Yeah the p7 is a great looking bike for sure. Very simple and functional John lived and worked in the UK for a number of years and brought it back with him.

Running huh? I run a bit here and there- bloo dy hurts like hell if you don't do it regularly eh? But like you say- great if time is an issue.

Yeah the heat seems to be messing people up- weeks of 30+ is not good. I can only how its messing people up- never mind the electricity consumption across the country due to air con!!!

Oh my had is now blue and 4 inches of blue now extend down my wrist. Jesus is hurts and jesus i'm a muppet. I'm getting to old for pain

mtbr member
    Just got back from a reasonably epic ride out to Lysterfield and back. It took me about 25km and 1 hour to get there including some alright sinlgetracks. I rode the Commonwealth games track (which seems to need some work, or some rain) and then a loop around the lake covering most of the other trails. By this time high 30's degree heat was getting to me and I still had the 25km's home.

The ride ended up being pretty tough, with 80km covered from 11 o'clock to 4 o'clock. I was stoked to find a way I can ride out to Lysterfield though, along the Dandenong creek path. I ended up drinking over 7 litres in 5 hours!

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    It was a heap of runs up and down the east side of Lysterfield for me on the singlespeed today, trying to find the limits of the bike and tyres. The one thing I found was that I simply can't push the bike any further when riding at slow speeds - more speed is required to get more grip, funny how it works that way.

The track down buckle trail is really turning to powder.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Just got back from a reasonably epic ride out to Lysterfield and back. It took me about 25km and 1 hour to get there including some alright sinlgetracks. I rode the Commonwealth games track (which seems to need some work, or some rain) and then a loop around the lake covering most of the other trails. By this time high 30's degree heat was getting to me and I still had the 25km's home.
    Hm, you might have been one of the people I didn't notice up ahead. Too many times I had my head down and barely noticed oncoming riders in time. Most of htem didn't seem to want to slow down either though.

mtbr member
    It was a heap of runs up and down the east side of Lysterfield for me on the singlespeed today, trying to find the limits of the bike and tyres. The one thing I found was that I simply can't push the bike any further when riding at slow speeds - more speed is required to get more grip, funny how it works that way.

The track down buckle trail is really turning to powder.
    Were you on a pink on-one rigid singlespeed? If so I saw you twice. Once on the buckle trail and another time on upper blair witch.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    ILMP they really look like my sort of tracks. A bit of woodwork and berms, sweet! All that was missing was some sheep. I like P7s too, was very keen on them at one point in my life.
    Woody it seems that you are bit of singletrack sniffer like me. Did you explore those trails you found recently along the Yarra?

As for myself I went out to St Andrews with Nuclear_Powered and another mate. Did 30 odd kays in the reverse direction, mostly ST. It was very hot, dry and dusty but the trails are holding up to it well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Officer ride

Rode Officer with some guys from my LBS this morning, a cruisy hour and a half. I did fall off a couple of times though, including a solid Superman into a large tree. Broke my nice Tec helmet and all. Can't wait until we get some more rain, all tracks are dry and dusty atm.

mtbr member
    I still havn't got a chance to explore those trails yet. I checked it all out on google earth and found I was riding upstream along a trail that leads into the Yarra. I think I might have explored as much as there is already becuase I rode until I came to a big high fence and there seemed to be no way around it. I'll definatly check it out when I get a chance on the weekend though.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Coupla post-Otway dirty bike pics I forgot I had, no wonder a fork seal has thrown in the towel!
    Yesterday at St Andy was the maiden voyage for my mates new Superlight, very purty!!
    (The riders at top right off one of the pics were roadie scum, just wanted to clear that up...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Were you on a pink on-one rigid singlespeed? If so I saw you twice. Once on the buckle trail and another time on upper blair witch.
    Nope. I was on a Gray Giant Talon, frankensteined into a singlespeed, with Giant nicks and a Black/Blue/White Fox jersey.

I didn't go down Blair Witch today at all as that wasn't the intent of what I was trying to learn (Larsens on that surface I have no desire to try to work on).

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Coupla post-Otway dirty bike pics I forgot I had, no wonder a fork seal has thrown in the towel!
    Yesterday at St Andy was the maiden voyage for my mates new Superlight, very purty!!
    (The riders at top right off one of the pics were roadie scum, just wanted to clear that up...)
    Bloody great looking bikes. I see you both like the Nobby Nics? What a great line up of rubber that Schwalbe have at the moment eh? I've been riding a Little Albert and Nobby Nic recently and they stick to dirt like shi t to fur! Superb on rocky dry stuff.... wear quick though (but i'd rather have a blast and wear quick anyhoo).

Is that a Revalation fork? How does your mate find it? PLUSH???

You don't like roadies then?

fan of maple syrup
    ...Yesterday at St Andy was the maiden voyage for my mates new Superlight, very purty!!
    That pic would've looked so much better if my bike was in amongst it

(my fault for turning up 5 min late).

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Bloody great looking bikes. I see you both like the Nobby Nics? What a great line up of rubber that Schwalbe have at the moment eh? I've been riding a Little Albert and Nobby Nic recently and they stick to dirt like shi t to fur! Superb on rocky dry stuff.... wear quick though (but i'd rather have a blast and wear quick anyhoo).

Is that a Revalation fork? How does your mate find it? PLUSH???

You don't like roadies then?

It's a Revelation, but his pressures were way up the creek as it was his first ride.

I'm schwalbe for life. I find with the Nics up front pressure needs to be low as poss. without being squirmy otherwise it feels like its going to wash. Both of us run various combinations of N nics and R Ralphs. I just bought another 3 RR and runout prices of $48 each. The new design Ralph is looking good too...

N_P sorry to miss your bike, I was keen to get a group photo of Mitch's bike before it got filthy (even though mine was)

Hey there should be a 'post your ride(s)' thread.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    It's a Revelation, but his pressures were way up the creek as it was his first ride.

I'm schwalbe for life. I find with the Nics up front pressure needs to be low as poss. without being squirmy otherwise it feels like its going to wash. Both of us run various combinations of N nics and R Ralphs. I just bought another 3 RR and runout prices of $48 each. The new design Ralph is looking good too...

N_P sorry to miss your bike, I was keen to get a group photo of Mitch's bike before it got filthy (even though mine was)

Hey there should be a 'post your ride(s)' thread.
    +1 I'm schwalbe for life- amazing tread.

I headed out this morning for a couple of hours. Already hot by 9:30 (after I'd had my porridge and two coffee's, LOL). It is just so DRY and dusty, really miserable. If this keeps up I'll be trading the bike in for a sandworm and renaming myself Muad'Dib.

I saw a group of about 30 kangaroos all huddled in the shade of one lone gum tree in the middle of a paddock - it must be so dry in the bush they are moving onto whatever sparse pick they can find. Would have made a great photo for the non Aussies as they got up and hopped along beside me for a while as they took fright and headed for the bush. There were the obilgatory unsucessful fence jumps of course, a couple of smaller ones rebounded off on their first attempt.
    Less isn't MOAR

fan of maple syrup
    If this keeps up I'll be trading the bike in for a sandworm and renaming myself Muad'Dib.
    You'll need a good hydration pack with straps to carry your thumper & maker hooks... I recommend the aptly named Dakine 'Nomad'

As for the rest of us - walk without rhythm...

You'll need a good hydration pack with straps to carry your thumper & maker hooks... I recommend the aptly named Dakine 'Nomad'

As for the rest of us - walk without rhythm...
    Bi la kaifa!
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    And now, the weather forecast; nothin' but mid to high twenties forecast for the next week! Seven whole days below 35...and Easter too! At least two days for trails rides, dirt roads, hill climbs and beer (for carbohydrate replenishment, of course). Most excellent! MTBR's, enjoy your Easter break in whatever fashion you deem necessary.

I got 6 days off work - and I'll be riding every day. Started it off this arvo with a quick set of hill intervals as it looked like it was going to pi$$ down here - but then didn't .
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    I got 6 days off work - and I'll be riding every day. Started it off this arvo with a quick set of hill intervals as it looked like it was going to pi$$ down here - but then didn't .
    I think you need a blog

PM me and I'll set one up for you if you want for the cost of registering a domain name and hosting (i.e. free)......seriously

Have a bloody great easter- CRANKING AHOY!!!!

Tuesday arvo was hill repeats.

Wednesday was hot, I headed for the back end of the "Eagle's Nest" which is a miserable, rocky, loose climb that just keeps going. Found a nice section of steep, rocky singletrack on the way. Flatted coming down - see my "ghetto tubeless" thread for the sordid details.

Yesterday was a couple of hours on the powdery and gravelly singletrack of the Mandurang forest - dodging large spiders and narrowly avoiding front wheel washouts. This is a great, fun flowing bit of track.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Yarra ride, easter sunday.

Hey, got to do the easter sunday inlaws trip. Planning on heading out to the yarra trails sunday morning to escape the inlaws for a while. 8am start from the eaglemont tennis club carpark. Hopefully i wont get lost, only ridden it once with Hud, back on boxing. Anyone else welcome, just a cruisy couple of hours, maybe 30 k's or so. Good chance to work off the easter eggs i've already consumed.

cheers

Scott is a tool.

Sicwombat Is Alive!!!

Good to see you back here mate!!

Headed to the Youies today for a spin around there, anyone ridden the new top section of track 13? Pretty bloody good.

Wombat, good chance i will see you on sunday, but will shoot you a text when i know for sure!

Wal.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5