Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    2 rides in the bush near Lucas Heights and Menai.

No good in rock gardens..
    Weather was utter crap around my area, I had planned to spend a few hours in the steeps near home, pack the camera and take some pics too, but it was wet, wondy and freezing.

So I whimped out and ran my a$$ off on the treadmill at the gym, then jumped on the bike to finish off. Those fat a$$ saddles on the gym bikes kill.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle
    Manly Dam tomorrow? Who knows.
    So I did get out to Manly Dam this morning. My first time there, and what a great track!

Only problem was my bike's giving up in protest at needing a pretty serious service. Only did the one lap there: front mech is totally out of whack now - can't get big chainring and lose chain 4/5 times going from middle to granny. Tried to adjust it myself, but that seemed to make it worse...

Gave the rear mech a good whack on a rock, but it seems to be holding up somehow. Bald tyres made the steep ups a bit challenging too. That, and I could probably be fitter.

Anyway, it's an absolutely top spot (I guess everyone already knows that), and I"ll be back for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck
    Hey Woody - that sounds awesome, where you along the Yarra?
    Yeah kinda. Its my closest trail network (the only one in riding distance).

"Assuming that by 'native mice' he meant 'rats' - then yeah, it sounds like the Yarra I know.

I want to know how you squeeze 65km out of it. Heading upstream I've been advised Fitzsimmons Lane is kinda the end of it all .... unless I've been told wrong."

Yeah your probably right about the rats. I really know nothing about identifying animals but its definatly possible to do a decent 65km there. I've done a 100km by doing my usual route there and back. I normally ride to the Yarren Darren river which has a about a 6km singletrack along it before heading over a dirt road to the mullum mullum trail which has a fair amount of singletrack. From there it's just along the yarra through Westerfolds Park (where there's some great singletrack all over the place). I generally stop at the Fairfield boat house (where some great but totally restricted trails lie which i only ride at night) for a coke then head back along the Koonung trail. That gives me from 55km to 65km ride with about 40% of it on singletrack, depending on which i choose to ride.

There are some very fun trails with new ones being built all the time. I think i basically know them all now, but just before Westerfold park is a great place for exploring.

A jaunt on the local singletrack - second flat tyre this week, in two rides.

And I was getting swooped by crows.

Yes, crows.....
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    240 road ks... this whole training thing is a bit overrated!

Nah not really, had fun and a nice hour long coffee stop in flinders :-). Tomorrow we'll be hitting up the trails for a nice recovery ride on the SSs. Good times.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    My very short ride of the weekend. This is why you shouldn't ride along a suburban street admiring your new chain and not looking at the road. I was riding to a local singletrack when next thing I know I'm up on the boot of a parked car. I must have gone into it teeth first. No other injury's apart from a swollen finger, but it suprised the hell out of me! Now I have to get it capped tomorow..

IMG_0322.JPG

mtbr member
    Ouch! That's got to suck. I hope you did the car some damage too :P.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    240km eh? danm, that's more than I do in a week! Where'd you go to get those kinds of ks in? And dare I ask, what kind of time did that take? I found out today (as I only put the speed and cadence sensor on my road bike last night) that my ride to work was almost 10km shorter than I thought, so my time to get to/from (Ferntree Gully to City) has been downgraded from 'not particularly quick' to 'wtf, I could do quicker than this on a mountain bike with Barracudas!'

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Yeah, I had a magpie swoop me four times in front of a group of about 6 people, they just watched it chase me - was not impressed, but at least it didn't get me this time (it got me good last week).

74km on roads this morning and 20km at Kooyong velodrome.

Will be out at Lysterfield tomorrow building trails.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Did a 30km loop at Dixons Creek. Some very nice firetrail descents with water bars between Melba Hwy and Pauls Range. Then some exploring of the singletracks at Dixons Ck scout camp. After being off the bike for 3 weeks, I was wasted by the time I got back to the car.
    Only one cure for that!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    240km eh? danm, that's more than I do in a week! Where'd you go to get those kinds of ks in? And dare I ask, what kind of time did that take? I found out today (as I only put the speed and cadence sensor on my road bike last night) that my ride to work was almost 10km shorter than I thought, so my time to get to/from (Ferntree Gully to City) has been downgraded from 'not particularly quick' to 'wtf, I could do quicker than this on a mountain bike with Barracudas!'
    It was 7 hours 5 minutes of actual ride time. Left home about 6:30am and got back at a bit after 4pm. Long day.

Had a break in Flinders, and stopped a couple of times to refill bottles and toilet breaks.

Took my 15 year old son and his mate for a 20km or so run on some local singletrack on Sunday.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    couple of loops out at Lysty on Sunday in the Melbourne sunshine.

Anyone else seen the new track lay out around Hug trail? It should be a lot of fun when it wears in.
    cheers
    Pagey

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    Anyone else seen the new track lay out around Hug trail? It should be a lot of fun when it wears in.
    Haven't been down to Hug trail yet... I was too buggered from building the new trail on Middle trail to go down there, just wanted to get home

The new track on middle trail will be really good when it packs in too - lots of corners where you really need to drop into and drop your shoulders to take properly, with plenty of corners both on and off-camber. A few little pinch climbs in there too, or sharp dropoffs mid-corner depending on which way you take it - makes you really need to change down gear before you take some of those corners.

fan of maple syrup
    On Saturday rode from Warringal Parklands upstram alongside the Yarra (dodging rabbits), crossed the bridge into Westerfolds, stayed along the Yarra (few fallen trees). Kept going under Fitzsimmons La bridge (still along the Yarra) past the Apple orchid (boring gravel path by this stage), then eventually hit Warrandyte-Heidelberg Rd after the track veers away from the river. Our goal was to make it to Fourth Hill in Warrandyte Park - apparently a bit of DH there. Headed west along this road, eventually some open single-track appeared alongside the road. Every now and then some bushland would appear with some tracks leading in and out. Nothing too special. After lots of climbs and descents alongside the road we finally made it to Warrandyte, turned right before the pub up Whipstick Gully Rd. Nice, long firetrail climb to the top of Fourth Hill, with glimpses of nice DH coming down the side. Made it to the top and was resting for about 30 seconds when a park ranger truck trucked pulled up, and quickly stopped us from going down the DH track. Nice enough guy, as was the woman in the car with him. They basically told us the DH track was 'illegal' and not to be ridden on. There were no signs anywhere indicating this. Well, none that you could see without stopping. I think they must've seen us go by in town or something, and perhaps thought we were the local DJ kids or something - apparently people have been damaging trees etc hence it being 'illegal'. Which is a pity, I thought. Chatted to him about needing more cooperation between clubs and parks to encourange sustainable trails etc, since it's bored kids that tend to do the damage, and if there are decent trails built to use, then people are less likely to build their own etc... But anyway, off down the hill we went, did a bit of firetrail exploring, lots of good climbing practise for this weekends 24hr. By the time we got back to Heidelberg we'd done around 65km I reckon (computer was not on bike ... d'oh!)

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    N_P, if you ever make it to Warrandyte again, turn right at the big roundabout before W'dyte, then left into Gold Memorial Drive, I think it is. after a bit there are a number of ST sections on the right hand side of the road. Easy to miss some bits, and it can be a bit overgrown in places but good fun. Once you reach the Shell servo turn left and take the singletrack on the LH side of the road back to Warrandyte shops. There is big ring track the whole way down and is great fun. (Careful crossing the driveways.) The state Park off Jumping creek road has some nice singletracks tracks too.
    I have got a loop that starts in Wonga Park and takes in these tracks, there is some excellent riding around here.
    In fact I could take you on it if you wished, where do you live?

fan of maple syrup
    Hi Hud - thanks for that - most generous. I'll PM you when I'm ready to ride again after this weekends 24hr in Canberra. People keep telling me I won't want to look at a bike again for a while, but I doubt it will be that bad.

We actually rode out of the park on Gold Memorial Drive (we crossed that creek then up onto the road). I didn't see any ST, but then again I wasn't looking. My riding buddy and I were deep in conversation about how cool it would be if the tracks out there were OK to ride, so we must have missed them. How ironic.

But yeah, I'd like to do some exploring out there so I'll definitely be in touch.

P.S. we're in Heidelberg & Macleod. We might drive out there next time we do it - especially if there's more trails to be seen as you indicate.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Did the Warburton Railtrail today, 70km, trying to get the fitness back.
    My mate was running Maxxis 310s at 90psi! Serve him right that he got a flat
    His spare tube core broke off as he pumped it up and then found the valve itself had pulled out of the tube. Cheap tubes No patches between us, so a 6km push for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    My mate was running Maxxis 310s at 90psi!

Blimey. I don't think I'd take tyres like that near a "real" trail, let alone run them at 90psi!

Less isn't MOAR

Scott is a tool.
    Checked out some trails near Anglesea and Airies Inlet, not sure how legal they all were, but they were fun all the same. Some really good climbs with very rewarding downhills to be had.

Might hit up the Yarra today.

Wal.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    100km on the Melbourne bike paths and roads yesterday - Ferntree Gully - Melbourne via Bayswater and Glen Waverly, then down to St Kilda, and back almost the same way I came. You know you're going crazy when you put an extra 10km in a trip just to avoid a particular magpie. Came back the way that had him though and the bastard swooped me again.
    Also lost the second last of what was 8 drink bottles I've had for like 10 years.

The plan is to head out to Lysterfield shortly, might even take the camera and post up a few shots. Am hoping to spend most of my time learning the new Middle trail, Hug Trail, and Summer Crits course. Will walk to the rock garden at least to see what it's like.

Edit: Wel, looks like it's going to take a whole for thew new trails on both Hug and Middle to wear in. Both are hard to ride fast because of the grass still across them, and the dirt not really being packed in enough yet. Kristjan has really made Hug trail tight, with one or two switchbacks in there, though other corners that look like switchbacks are really just sweeping corners.

Coming up Hug Trail, I almost went over the bars on the log rollover before the new section - chainring caught the log but managed to catch it (just).

Still can't believe how much fun the new Middle trail section is going down the hill

As for the rock garden... yeah, still not doing that
    Last edited by akashra; 10-13-2007 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I haven't been out to Lysterfield since the last Chase the Sun round, where is this new stuff? Should go down and see what it's like .

PS: I did nothing but road again this weekend. 200km yesterday (first to Mordialloc, then Glen Waverly, Ferntree Gully, Monbulk, Yarra Glen, St Andrews, Warrandyte, then home) then 50km recovery today. Saturdays ride took almost as much time as the longer ride the weekend before (6:45) and hurt a lot more - damn those hills!

Thinking about You Yangs in the dark tomorrow though, so that should put the MTBing back in my training .

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Rode 45km with the Bendigo mob in prep for a 90km ride on the 4th (Golden Triangle Epic). It was hot and rocky with heaps of short and long ups! awesome trails. I blew my Reba lockout chamber thingy as well.. oil everywhere! Doh. More things to fix...

I head to Christchurch wednesday so i'll post some pics of some rides.

No riding for me - working the whole time. Will be doing a singletrack loop tomorrow with a mate though.
    Less isn't MOAR

Scott is a tool.
    I took a quick blast up the Yarra from Chandler highway to Heidelberg. Only 20kms, but a bit of a loosiner after some big climbs yesterday. Beautiful weather though!!!

Wal.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Cavagna's Rd is where we headed out. It's the first time i've ridden the trail.

More info here http://www.mtbbendigo.com/

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    I haven't been out to Lysterfield since the last Chase the Sun round, where is this new stuff? Should go down and see what it's like .

PS: I did nothing but road again this weekend. 200km yesterday (first to Mordialloc, then Glen Waverly, Ferntree Gully, Monbulk, Yarra Glen, St Andrews, Warrandyte, then home) then 50km recovery today. Saturdays ride took almost as much time as the longer ride the weekend before (6:45) and hurt a lot more - damn those hills!

Thinking about You Yangs in the dark tomorrow though, so that should put the MTBing back in my training .

Dude- you need a girlfriend, a dog or an Xbox

That many K's is like Xman powers!

Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    Cavagna's Rd is where we headed out. It's the first time i've ridden the trail.

More info here http://www.mtbbendigo.com/
    Ah yes, the Sedgwick forest.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Did a few loops of the singletrack in Centennial Park. Not particularly exciting track, but a few little obstacles and sandy in some places, and sure beats riding on the road circuit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

jealous

Guys, your driving me crazy. I havent managed to get out for a ride for weeks. My house is about to be demolished to get the block ready for our spankin new home. been moving stuff and pulling out bits for weeks. Going to noosa next week for a week, so will miss out on the next two weekends also. Reckon I'd struggle to do 15kms right now. Once I come back from holidays all should settle down and I can get in some serious riding again.

Waldog, looks like youve been getting in some serious ride time lately and doing some serious travelling and exploring. Lucky bastard. We'll catch up soon. Pretty keen to check out Youyangs.

New tracks at Lysty ? Did I read this right. Any comments?

Cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Going to noosa next week for a week, so will miss out on the next two weekends also. Once I come back from holidays all should settle down and I can get in some serious riding again.
    Going to Noosa? man that's tough.
    We all feel sorry for you.
    It's hard being off the bike. I got back from holidays a few weeks ago and vowed to never go again. (Unless I take the bike)
    Fitness was shot to pieces and I'd put on weight, I'm only just getting back there, and I've shed 2kg.

mtbr member
    Dude- you need a girlfriend, a dog or an Xbox

That many K's is like Xman powers!
    Well I've got a dog, and when I spent two months off the bike I almost got to two out of three :P. I actually wondered a bit during that period whether I wanted to get back into the riding, but once I started training again I remembered why I do it. There is something deeply satisfying about putting in all that hard work and then getting the reward at the end. I have more fun climbing a hill than I do playing halo anyway :P.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    lol- two weeks is fine as long as you don't inhale junk food and maybe go for a jog or two (saying that- i've ONLY just worked this out ).... but yeah it is amazing how your muscles just burn after being off the steed for a few weeks.

Sometimes though a break can be great for the mind and body!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Guys, your driving me crazy. I havent managed to get out for a ride for weeks. My house is about to be demolished to get the block ready for our spankin new home. been moving stuff and pulling out bits for weeks. Going to noosa next week for a week, so will miss out on the next two weekends also. Reckon I'd struggle to do 15kms right now. Once I come back from holidays all should settle down and I can get in some serious riding again.

Waldog, looks like youve been getting in some serious ride time lately and doing some serious travelling and exploring. Lucky bastard. We'll catch up soon. Pretty keen to check out Youyangs.

New tracks at Lysty ? Did I read this right. Any comments?

Cheers
    Lysterfield is still the same old - the new 'bits' are no more than flow killers..... you are not missing out on much

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Lysterfield is still the same old - the new 'bits' are no more than flow killers..... you are not missing out on much
    I dunno, I'd have to disagree. The new Middle trail sections are awesome, lots of quick left-right action.

The new hug trail section though, yeah. It's obvious who had a hand in making that one, it's tight as hell, slow, and lacks any grip at the moment.

It's the only trail I've ever seen people walking their bike around flat corners because it was too technical.

Couple of hours on the local singletrack and bush dirt roads today. It's dry, rocky, loose and dusty as hell already and I had some good front wheel washouts. I might get some bigger bags if this keeps up as my Mibros and my 2.1 High Rollers are a bit wishy washy in the deep, loose crap.

Rolling along my mate all of a sudden got the speed wobbles up and I was like "WTF?"

Turns out he missed hitting a 3 foot brown snake's head by an inch.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Well You Yangs didn't eventuate today, but we did spend three hours riding up and down the yarra trails in the dark. Good times .

Three punctures, but we took them in our stride and had a laugh anyway.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Port Hills Christchurch!! Paradise my friends... Paradise!

I managed to join a group of local guys (well actually i just tagged along until they invited me into the group- works every time!) so had an epic day- 6hrs out on those hills at 17 degs with blue skies! They were all on Santa Cruz bikes with 5" + travel and I was on a hardtail with Rebas! My forks for most of the ride felt rigid on the stuff here... ha ha! These guys were also riding their 13/ 14kg bikes uphill like they weighed 7KG.... i will never obsess about the weight of my bike again Just STFU and ride.

Now I will let you into a little secret.... Australian trails are TAME in comparison to here..... and they have everything from smooth flowing singletrack to techy rocky ups and downs.

Woot! what an awesome day- the best day i've spent in the saddle ever! Most stacks that nearly happened were due to me sight seeing and going off line- not a good thing to do - considering most errors would have ended in serious injury

*eats **** loads of carbs*

...fark- what a day! and am i stoked to be moving here in a few months? Fark yeah. Time to sort out a dually and get rid of this lycra **** me thinks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 10-19-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Just a light ride for me today - 2 runs up the 1&20 for me today, so no endurance ride. I kinda felt like I shoulda kept riding though, since I'm now only up to 7 hours and 120km this week whereas I did 14 last and 260km last week :/ (combined of all road and XC riding) - and that next week I'm in Sydney for the start of the week so won't have much time to train ;/ Therefore I'm thinking I might do a 2 hour ride hitting hills in Belgrave in the evening after I get back from DRWS.

Anyhow, so yeah, run #2 up the 1&20, being the first time I've ever done it, means my PB is a nice slow 20:30 at 80% :P

Tomorrow is the Dirt Riders Winter Series final - I'll be happy with a C grade top 5, though I think top 10 is more realistic.

Port Hills Christchurch!! Paradise my friends... Paradise!
    Nice! No shortage of climbs by the looks - and they have green grass !
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Yes lots of climbs, rocks higher than pedal clearance :S and most lines off canter carved into the hillside.... a lot of fun

One thing that made me chuckle was that the guys referred to my machine as a road bike- haha

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Well, I got that top 5 I wanted. 5th in the 31 degree heat.

mtbr member
    ILP - that looks AWESOME.....might have to schedule a holiday and join you!

Sunday I headed up to Castlemaine for a social ride with the Rocky Riders crew. I now understand why they call themselves the ROCKY Riders.

Double post....curse this lagging server.
    Last edited by Sideknob; 10-23-2007 at 06:46 PM.
    Less isn't MOAR

I was hung over...
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Short ride into the steeps not far from home - loose and dusty and gravelly as all hell.

Had to do the summertime "blue tongue on the track" bunny hop at one stage too...
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Golden Triangle [half] Epic - and I'm stuffed enough to prove it Great ride - sweet trails around Bendigo. Good event - well organised.

mtbr member
    Must have been a wet race for the Golden Triangle!

Page 4 of 79 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast