ok'ish
    rainy
    really rainy
    cold, windy and rainy
    really cold, really windy and rainy
    cold and windy
    humid
    ok

I was suffering and focussed to the extent that the weather only affected me when was really cold.

The wet rocks, steep slippery rocky hills and slippery gully's soon sorted out those who could ride from the converted roadies [if you'll forgive my slight insult ].

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I did the 90km epic - it started raining right as we got off the first bit of fire trail and onto the singletrack (albeit lightly) - ie, about 350 meters into the race. It calmed down quickly, but before we got to the first fire trail there was quite a drop of rain, and by the time the Sport train got to those first fire trails it was already mud and wet clay.
    At one point in the race, I noticed the rain coming down at about a 50-55 degree angle (ie, almost horizontal).

That last 20km was no fun at all - mostly because we'd already done 70km, and it was across slippery rocks which just reminded me of Werribee. At the final checkpoint there were miserable faces all around. I was cramping by that point (didn't drink enough during the 4th hour) so couldn't take any technical stuff - silly mistake unfortunately and probably added about 20 minutes (probably more) to my overall time. Before that I had also made the mistake of taking a downhill section with the lockout still set on - that was no fun at all.

Had a spectacular off (and nice slide across, fortunately, grass) while I tried to pass Jess Douglas in stupidly muddy conditions on grass through those rocky last 25km - was within 100 meters of her for probably the last 50km (was hard to lose sight of in that bright pink jersey , until I cramped up and had to stop to take a magnesium tablet. This was partly because the '50km' sign around where she passed me I thought meant "you've done 50km" - not "50km to go".

Would have been nicer to have had those fire trails at the end, rather than the singletrack (if somehow possible). On that up and down undulating fire trail I was just passing people like they were standing still (got some strange looks as I passed two guys at about 30km/h struggling at about 10km up a hill - I'm light, so can carry speed up hills . Since I've built up the new bike, it was the first time I've ever used the TPC lockout.

Tell you what though, if their state round is that first hour or so of track, I'm going to seriously love that round. That early singletrack was bloody awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Finally back on the bike, rode a quick 16kms at lysty the week before, 15kms around the local bike trails during the week and 32kms at Lysterfield again on melb. cup day. Slowly building up a bit of fitness after 6 weeks off the bike and a holiday in noosa !

New track from the Hallam nth carpark has ruined a good downhill burst. Actually enjoyed it more coming back up, climbing those switch backs provided a bit of a challenge.

Lysty wasnt as muddy as I thought it would be after all that rain on sunday.

Just happy to be back on the bike

Cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    My brother myself and a mate did the Yarra trails today. Started at Westerfolds and went into Chandler Hwy. On the way back Mitchell was riding point on the drinking fountain loop near Heidleburg, and he came upon a big tiger curled up. Skidding to a stop made the tige rear up and then it went for the undergrowth. I was on the scene a few seconds later but missed seeing it. Our already-elevated heart rates went collectively up, but it was well gone. A couple of of minutes later a big two foot blue tongue thought it would be funny to run across a piece of corrugated iron on the edge of the track, sending us off again.
    Then we went to Nuclear_Powereds Rocket cafe in H'burg for lunch mmm...good.
    J_775 you'd be interested to know that they were all too pleased to refill our water bladders out the back, especially when we told them we'd been refered there by MTBers. So there should be a warm reception there from now on.
    Back to the cars, 44km, good fun!

mtbr member
    Hud that sounds like a close call. I've never had one rear up at me.

The trails around Heidleburg are full of tiger snakes. I ran over the tail of a tiger snake last Summer on the trail beside the boardwalk thing in between westerfolds and Heidleberg.

I'm not sure if they eat rabbits but anything that does would have to be having no trouble finding food around there.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    My brother myself and a mate did the Yarra trails today. Started at Westerfolds and went into Chandler Hwy. On the way back Mitchell was riding point on the drinking fountain loop near Heidleburg, and he came upon a big tiger curled up. Skidding to a stop made the tige rear up and then it went for the undergrowth. I was on the scene a few seconds later but missed seeing it. Our already-elevated heart rates went collectively up, but it was well gone. A couple of of minutes later a big two foot blue tongue thought it would be funny to run across a piece of corrugated iron on the edge of the track, sending us off again.
    Then we went to Nuclear_Powereds Rocket cafe in H'burg for lunch mmm...good.
    J_775 you'd be interested to know that they were all too pleased to refill our water bladders out the back, especially when we told them we'd been refered there by MTBers. So there should be a warm reception there from now on.
    Nice one Snakes? I f'kin hate them! Sounds like you had a good one- those trails are fun hey

Just to let you peeps know- a bunch of us are meeting at Lysty at 10am tomorrow at the bottom lake carpark. If anyone wants a nice social ride- rock up

Paul.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by woody45
    Hud that sounds like a close call. I've never had one rear up at me.

The trails around Heidleburg are full of tiger snakes. I ran over the tail of a tiger snake last Summer on the trail beside the boardwalk thing in between westerfolds and Heidleberg.

I'm not sure if they eat rabbits but anything that does would have to be having no trouble finding food around there.
    Yowks! That would be the worst place ever to have a snake moment. I can see you falling off the cliff into the river!
    I think snakes like frogs which are probably abundant in the area.

Scott is a tool.

Went to Forrest today......

Made the trip down the highway to Forrest today to check out the trails before the 24hr in a few weeks. It was a bit of an epic, did just over 24kms, but was hot and there is some testing climbs in the area.

Good fun though!!! Can't wait for the Kona 24hr!!!

Wal.

fan of maple syrup
    ...Then we went to Nuclear_Powereds Rocket cafe in H'burg for lunch mmm...good.
    Glad they sorted you out Hud - they're nice people there. Hmm ... now that's got me thinking about their Roast Beef roll with mustard & relish. Might grab one for lunch before we hit St Andrews this arvo (P.S. told you my friends were hard to organise - we were supposed to go this morning).

No good in rock gardens..
    Hung over.....no riding......
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I've been at home sick yesterday and today - all because someone at work decided "well I don't get paid for taking sick days off, because I'm on contract, so I guess everyone else should catch what I've got and suffer". Seriously unimpressed.

So, no riding this weekend.

Trying to decide if I want to do the 6 hour at Ballarat next week solo, but I don't really. I want to ride it... just not solo

fan of maple syrup
    Hit St Andrews and did most of Hud's loops. Man ... a hot day certainly adds to the pain of some of those climbs. Only saw one other rider out there (on a carbon version the Scott Genius I have). Did 26km according to the new Polar wireless watch. I don't know if I've got the wheel circumference spot on yet though. Ridge Rd was definitely the highlight. And just in case anyone flying towards the bridge at the bottom of this part sees the massive mounds of road gravel waiting to be spread out and has the same "I wonder of they're solid enough to ride over?" thought process, I can answer that for you - they most certainly are not (apparently it looked quite amusing when I found that out).

The Powerade from the General Store was among the best 'cool drink after long ride on hot day' experiences in a while.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Hit St Andrews and did most of Hud's loops. Man ... a hot day certainly adds to the pain of some of those climbs. Only saw one other rider out there (on a carbon version the Scott Genius I have). Did 26km according to the new Polar wireless watch. I don't know if I've got the wheel circumference spot on yet though. Ridge Rd was definitely the highlight. And just in case anyone flying towards the bridge at the bottom of this part sees the massive mounds of road gravel waiting to be spread out and has the same "I wonder of they're solid enough to ride over?" thought process, I can answer that for you - they most certainly are not (apparently it looked quite amusing when I found that out).

The Powerade from the General Store was among the best 'cool drink after long ride on hot day' experiences in a while.
    Good one! We try to head out early as it does get very hot and dry out in those gullys, especially now that summer is coming.
    I'm working on linking up some tracks out in the rifle range reserve/buttermans track area, hopefully eliminating the One Tree Hill road climb, (well, substituting it anyway)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    50k trail ride yesterday and 20km XC training today. I love my new Anthem.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    Is it just me, or are they going the wrong way?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Yes We ride it backwards because we are naughty *blushes*

p.s. sorry about the camera motion- I'm still playing with the best mount (and its looking like a helmet mount is the way to go).

mtbr member
    It was great riding it the wrong way..but I think I'll save it for special occasions

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck
    It was great riding it the wrong way..but I think I'll save it for special occasions

.... every ride is a special occasion *picks out rocks from knee* *chews on painkillers*

fan of maple syrup
    Yes We ride it backwards because we are naughty *blushes*
    Mavericks ... both of you.

I really must check that place out one day.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Mavericks ... both of you.

YeeHah, but who are Goose, Slider, Ice Man et. al

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    A bunch of us are off to the Dandynong ranges tomorrow- if anyone wants to join us- let me know and i'll PM the location. 9am Start.

Its sure to be 5 degs cooler there too

Went for a ride to the "eagle's nest" as it's known among local MTB yokels. The last section is maybe a 1km climb of marbles, golf balls and embedded rocks. To add to that some retard had put a heap of logs across the steepest section at 20 foot intervals. All this meant lots of front wheel popping, back wheel spinning and cursing and swearing. The little 2.1 High Rollers were not up to it.
    Less isn't MOAR

Scott is a tool.
    Quick spin at Lysterfield this morning, i quite enjoyed the changes they've made out there. Friggin bloody hot though. Now it's bloody raining.....go figure???

Wal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Also got a quick spin at lysterfield, 16kms after work last thursday. Tracks seem different that time of day, different shadows and light etc. Suprisingly green out there with some long grass. Changes are o.k, miss the quick blast from the top carpark though.

Rode 20km this morning around the local wetland tracks and bike tracks betwween patterson river and mordialloc.

Hoping to get out to Lysty tomorrow morning again for another couple of laps.

Ive got the bug again for riding, had a couple of weeks off there for a while, but trying to make up for it now.

cheers

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Also got a quick spin at lysterfield, 16kms after work last thursday. Tracks seem different that time of day, different shadows and light etc. Suprisingly green out there with some long grass. Changes are o.k, miss the quick blast from the top carpark though.

Rode 20km this morning around the local wetland tracks and bike tracks betwween patterson river and mordialloc.

Hoping to get out to Lysty tomorrow morning again for another couple of laps.

Ive got the bug again for riding, had a couple of weeks off there for a while, but trying to make up for it now.

cheers
    Hey SC

What time are you usually out at lysty on a Thursday? We ( a mixed group) have been out there for the past few weeks at 6.30 start. If you want to join our group next thursday- your very welcome

As for the track changes- they are growing on us..... SLOWLY :/

P.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Was my first 'after work ride'. Quite enjoyed it. I finish work at 4pm in Clayton, so I get to Lysty at around 4.20. So 6.30 is a little late, but will keep it in mind and let you know if i'll join you.

cheers

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Just did 25km on the roadie, in this 32 degree stinking heat. Was going to go city and back (75+km) but it's just too hot. Needed to get some riding in though as in the last two weeks I've done neither of my rides to/from work (twice a week, so slash 150ks) and haven't done any riding on the weekends (usually 2x4 hours) due to illness. So basically in the last two weeks I've done 3 crits and that's almost it. Fitness is going to seriously suffer

Plan is to do a few laps of Lysterfield early tomorrow, before it gets hot. Need an excuse to test out my new M300 shoes :P
    Last edited by akashra; 11-17-2007 at 12:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Plan is to do a few laps of Lysterfield early tomorrow, before it gets hot.
    None of that finishing early luxury for me, I'll be racing from 10-4. In Ballarat no less, where it'll be even hotter than down here. Oh well, guess I'd better get used to it with summer almost upon us.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

I love the heat and will happily head out in the heat of the day. Only really feel it in the steep stuff when there's lot of crankin' and not much speed to generate a nice breeze.
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    None of that finishing early luxury for me, I'll be racing from 10-4. In Ballarat no less, where it'll be even hotter than down here. Oh well, guess I'd better get used to it with summer almost upon us.
    Let us know how you went with the 6hr

The plan had been to go to Lysterfield, but the amount of rain we got overnight meant it would have been a mudbath, and I don't feel like destroying trails.

Instead then, I put in 75km on the road today, 32 degrees while I was out there. That ride made it obvious the 2 weeks off and new geometry is going to take a lot to get me into any kind of race fitness, since the saddle is now higher/further forward, and I'm using my glutes/hamstrings a crapload more. I also made the stupid mistake of forgetting sunscreen, so it's taken a single ride to get those perfect cyclist tanlines

fan of maple syrup
    Hit the Yarra trails this arvo. After the amount of rain it seems like we got last night and this morning, I was expecting the ruts (in and around the water fountain loop) to at least be a bit muddy, but after 1 hour of sunshine the whole ride was completely bone dry.

Was a good ride up until my friend's 6 month old Anthem tore a linkage bolt in half - for the second time - exact same bolt. We weren't even doing anything crazy. Oh well .. nice walk back to the cars.

Keep Riding !!

The plan had been to go to Lysterfield, but the amount of rain we got overnight meant it would have been a mudbath, and I don't feel like destroying trails.
    Rode out at Lysty this morning just the standard lap down Hug trail, Blair witch cross the wall and up Buckle and down MIddle trail etc.
    Rain not to heavy just some nice cooling showers, tracks were not at all too wet and were just about right being nice a grippy.

Not to sure about the new sections in Hug and Middle Trail. Although I appreciate that the tracks needed building to replace heavily eroded sections and all props and respect to the people that made the effort to build the new sections but being fairly tight (good) but not bermed and even off camber in parts, they will be heavily brake rutted in a few months
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Friday I went for a 50km ride through Melbournes Yarra singletracks as a bit of preparation for the 3hr on saturday.
    If anyone knows of the singletrack over the southern side of Westerfolds park before you go under the road (entering from the east), they have had a lot of work done on them, and where there was once a maze of faint tracks everywhere, now there has been a clear, reasonably technical and uber fun trail marked out with pink ribbons. It is a 4km or so loop and if you live near it, definatly check it out.

mud slinger
    hey woody,what suberb would this roughly be the closest to as a ref? cheers
    "do the things you fear and the death of fear is certain"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kona4lyf
    hey woody,what suberb would this roughly be the closest to as a ref? cheers
    It's around templestowe.

fan of maple syrup
    Hey Woody - can you describe this area for me?

The only part of Westerfolds I know of where you go under a road, is the Nth East corner (top right of map linked below), where the trail goes under Fitzsimmons Lane next to the Yarra. From here - heading downstream - I follow the trail alongside the river until it takes me over the footbridge.
    Map of Park

Where is this pink ribbon trail in amongst that?

mtbr member
    The pink ribbon trail is up stream from the spot where you go under Fitzsimmons rd. There is a singletrack along the river you can follow that enters on the left after going under the road (upstream).
    This track will come out at the main gravel path at the bottom of a hill. Immediatly across the the gravel path is another singletrack that will take you up to a dirt road.
    You can follow this dirt road (which runs west) up the hill further (or the singletracks around it) and when you reach the peak of the hill you should find the trail. The way i usually take is off to the left of the dirt road just before you get to the treeline at the hills peak but the loop also starts/ends just about 20 or 30 metres on the right of the road up further. Im going to ehad there tomorow so ill try to dig a stick into the ground at the trail head going off the left of the trail to help you see it, because it is very faint.
    It may take a bit of exploring because there are no markings at the trail heads (which are faint), and there are many singletracks going everywhere. You can just explore around the place which is fun anyway, or you could keep riding along the dirt roads until you begin to go down the other side of the hill, where you will see a reasonably steep and rocky dirt road going down the hill off to the left. This road will lead you to the sort of middle area of the trails.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nice work Woody! I'll be printing out your post next time we go out that way. Do any of these roads have names?

mtbr member
    This is a rough map of the area. The pink lines are the pink ribbon trail and the black lines are the river side singletrack. The think brown line is the dirt road. The roads have no names as far as i know.

map of pink ribbon trail.jpg

It's pretty rough and i dont know how good my directions are, but the whole area is worth an explore. I have progressivly found more and more trail in the area over the past year or so and i think i have found them all now, but there are still plenty of good tracks I havn't put on the map.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    _____***__________

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    From the bridge I think there is one trail that follows the river and also one that goes more 'inland' it appears the trail you are talking about is the inland one which ive never been on.

mtbr member
    We rode my new Trance X1 at Sparrow Hill.... Got around 10kms in before my arse couldn't take anymore punishment from the saddle...

mtbr member
    awesome looking bike!

fan of maple syrup
    Thanks for that Woody - most helpful. I too will be checking that out. Will make a nice addition to the end of our "to westerfolds and back" midweek ride.

I did a couple of runs on some nice singletrack around here. Really loose at the moment - lots of talcum powder build up and loose rock too. Up for some new rubber soon.
    Less isn't MOAR

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I did a couple of runs on some nice singletrack around here. Really loose at the moment - lots of talcum powder build up and loose rock too. Up for some new rubber soon.
    For me it was the Twilight 3 hour at Macedon on Saturday afternoon/evening.
    Went out for a short ride up the 1and20 on Sunday - was going to do a few slow stints then a sprint, but I didn't realize how sore my legs were from Saturday so cut it short after about 1h45.

Need to start doing Anaerobic intervals again, as that's clearly starting to suffer.

mtbr member
    Nuclear powered. If you head out to the pink ribbon track you'll have no trouble finding it. I just got back from a ride out that way and if you go from the riverside singletrack across the gravel path onto the singletrack in front of you, about 50 metres in you'll see the track going of to the right.

I AM I AM
    On Sunday I went out for an hour on one of the usual tracks (not many to choose from in Cobar!).

I was in a shitty mood most of the morning and when the youngest went down for her nap I decided to head out for a ride anyway (wasn't motivated to do so earlier in the day).

Not long into it I saw an Emu & some Kangaroos running off into the bush, half way through I ran out of energy because I had a very late brekky that day. Then the music beat got pumping and some of my energy came back. Towards the end it started raining and I saw an Emu & some Kangaroos again (probably the same mob). The muddy rider then went for a nice hot bath when I got back home.
    Turned a moody day into a great one! Could have just as easily stayed on the couch feeling sorry for myself.

A great ride is just so much more than a great ride isn't it! You know the ones where the wind was at your back, you were feeling energetic and amped up, and at the end you just think, gee this was a really great ride, now that's what it's all about! Sure we don't always get those moments which is what makes them even more special. My above was probably half way there in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    On Sunday I went out for an hour on one of the usual tracks (not many to choose from in Cobar!).

Hey Ducktape, how dry is it up that way? I go up through Cobar two or three times a year en route to hunt the mighty feral pig. We used to dine in fine style at Bogas until they knocked it down, no we go to that big truckstop joint further up the road.

I was last up there in July and it was green as, but I imagine it's dried off a lot since then eh?
    Less isn't MOAR

fan of maple syrup
    A great ride is just so much more than a great ride isn't it! You know the ones where the wind was at your back, you were feeling energetic and amped up, and at the end you just think, gee this was a really great ride, now that's what it's all about! Sure we don't always get those moments which is what makes them even more special. My above was probably half way there in that regard.
    Amen. It's no wonder they say exercise is a good cure for depression (not that I'm saying you're depressed of course, but you get the point).

I used to think it was the so-called 'endorphin rush' that made me feel better after a ride. That was until I started serious weight training and discovered what an endorphin rush really was. So I think with riding it's just the fact that it's so great to be out there, on the trails, tearing it up, having fun, being with your mates (if not riding solo). Turns any s**t day good.

I AM I AM
    Nuclear, yeah it gets the blood flowing and all that frustration energy out. Great for the mind, body & soul as they say. Lol, it was coming up to that time of the month, seems to make me pretty moody.
    Something I've found though, the more you ride the more you need to ride, I don't ride as much as I used to because I have to look after the kiddies now, but I remember before my legs used to get pretty restless if I hadn't ridden for a couple of days. Now I'm sitting here reading forums and should be doing sit ups to get rid of the flab creeping around my waist!

Sideknob, we've had a fair bit of rain lately, the grass is growing like crazy. Apart from that it has been really dry all year. When we moved here in July last year it was green, and we had lemons on the tree. This July, it was dry as a bone, no sign of lemons yet, the tree has only now grown a heap of leaves. And it has been only int the last 3 weeks things have greened up and hte grass actually needs to be mowed!
    So yeah drought has somewhat broken! Still it doesn't take very long for the ground to soak it all up, however a few puddles around at the moment and looks like yet another storm coming our way, the place surely needs it so I won't be complaining!

That truckstop you got to would probably be the Shell opposite the caravan park, I'm living not too far from there.

We are moving soon though (January),to Nannup WA so I'll have to get used to riding up hills again, well for longer than 15 minutes to the top of the biggest hill in Cobar.

That truckstop you got to would probably be the Shell opposite the caravan park, I'm living not too far from the caravan park
    Yep, that's the one.

Cheers.
    Less isn't MOAR

fan of maple syrup
    Just rode the 'pink ribbon trail' as it's come to being known. Nice work whoever made it - does anyone have any idea? It looks pretty fresh, a lot of it still goes over grass. We actually rode it in reverse I'm guessing, since we were passing berms as we were climbing up the hill (following your directions woody). Someone's even added a wooden jump ramp there too .... i'll have to hit that next time when we do it the proper way. Some nice tight stuff through that plantation area, a little bit exploratory, a few kangaroos thrown in the mix - I like it. It's even got a bit of a climb to it which is a welcome change to the Yarra ride.

Anyway - no snakes, though a large family walking in the opposite direction warned us of a tiger snake 'this big!' ... we didn't see it

mtbr member
    Good to hear you liked the trail nuclear. I rode that switchback section (with the berms) in the downhill direction and i prefered in up hill. I found the corners waay to tight to carry any speed and make use of the berms. Yeah I've looked at that wooden ramp a few times but never hit it.
    Whoever is making the trail, they certainly are busy. When i rode it again today they was a new section about 200 metres long added in since Wednesday. The person who built it definatly likes switchbacks!

Scott is a tool.
    Did the Kona 24hr at Forrest. Well and truly popped my 24hr cherry, amongst many other things such as lungs. Good times.

Wal.

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    Rode the last Urban Polaris. Tested some new gearing on the SS. 36x16. Hard work over 85kms. Just waiting on results, should place ok in the solo category.

mtbr member
    I rode the Kona 24 - what an awsome track network. I can't wait to spend some weekends down there exploring
    cheers
    Pagey

Well, I was busy on the weekend with a 21st and a wedding, so I didn't get out.

So today I did some rolling dirt road miles, and for a change I rode my '93 Klein Pinnacle. The old girl excels on these sorts of courses, with it's 2.5 inch Judy SL, and the angles encourage you to jump out of the saddle instead of downshifting. The twitchyness would give people only used to newer bikes some concern however.

I felt pretty slow - I think it might have something to do with all the party food and beer I drank over the weekend.
    Less isn't MOAR

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    Didnt ride it this weekend but booked in for the Double Centurion of the BMC 100 and the Dirtworks 100. Should be a fun few weeks and heaps of time spent training before hand.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    I rode the Kona 24 - what an awsome track network. I can't wait to spend some weekends down there exploring
    I dunno. The second and third tracks were really good I'll agree, but that first track was just crap, mostly because of the sand and poor track surface. You'd climb a pinch and the soil would just fall out underneath you. Though the techy stuff you were pretty much at the mercy of wherever the sand wanted to take you, by the time I got out there (lap 4).

But I'd love to have done more than 2 laps on the night track. Did a double stint right towards the end on the second day lap.

How good was Snozzas hill? Wait... what's that? People are still complaining about it being too hard? Gah, learn to climb hills

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Blooded my Miyata Trailrunner SS build at Majura.

I had built it up as an SS commuter but the commuting thing just wasn't happening so it's now an SS dirt rig. Full rigid and 38:16. A bit taller gearing than I'd like but not far off 32:14 in the big scheme of things so I guess I'll just get a bit more of a workout.

Freakiest thing was how the rigid front end doesn't exhibit dive when it hits obstacles or under brakes. Sooo long since I've ridden rigid.

mtbr member
    I dunno. The second and third tracks were really good I'll agree, but that first track was just crap, mostly because of the sand and poor track surface. You'd climb a pinch and the soil would just fall out underneath you. Though the techy stuff you were pretty much at the mercy of wherever the sand wanted to take you, by the time I got out there (lap 4).
    The best thing about the first track were the berms - sweet

But I'd love to have done more than 2 laps on the night track. Did a double stint right towards the end on the second day lap.
    Agreed - I got 2 laps in on the night track and would of loved another 10 - nice and flowy

How good was Snozzas hill? Wait... what's that? People are still complaining about it being too hard? Gah, learn to climb hills
    HAHAHAHA - I know what you mean. It certainly wasn't steep. I think a lot of people struggled with the technical ground and all the grass trees - still a good easy swichback climb to warm the legs up on at the start of each lap.
    cheers
    Pagey

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    With the state series round being on tomorrow, a few of us went for a last minute social ride... with one of us (me) coming backwith a broken wrist.

So annoyed/upset, there goes my chances for the state series ;(

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I quite literally feel your pain, except mine is in my back, well it is much better now.
    Ironically I was doing some trackwork when I did my back in. After suffering badly for two days I went to a chiropractor. It was sore as for 24 hours but now is improving rapidly. This is two weekends I've missed my ride so I'm really champing at the moment.

Ex MTBdirt
    Sep 2006
    Rode Daisy Hill State forest, here in SEQld, for a couple of hours this arvo. After the rain of the past week, trail is tacky and humid.

I got married - so no MTB for me!
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got married - so no MTB for me!
    Congratulations !~!

Cheers. Will be off the bike for the next week, soaking up some tropical sun and cocktails.

*Buuuurrrrp!*
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cheers. Will be off the bike for the next week, soaking up some tropical sun and cocktails.

*Buuuurrrrp!*

oh, I thought you were going to take the bride to NZ and soak up some singletrack

cheers mate, avagoodone !~!

Hud
    Singletrack minded

*Buuuurrrrp!*
    C'mon what are you doing on MTBR? Aren't you on your honeymoon?
    No more posting for you for a week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    C'mon what are you doing on MTBR? Aren't you on your honeymoon?
    No more posting for you for a week.
    He's prolly doing something resembling his avatar !~!

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    He's prolly doing something resembling his avatar !~!
    There's a Star Wars convention in town and nobody told me??? Damn!!!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Went out to St Andrews today. Decided at the last minute against riding to Kinglake on wet clay, so apologies to Piker and anyone else who was hanging out for a St A. session.
    Drizzling rain for most of the day, every bush we brushed past soaked us. The numerous logs were terrribly slippery, Dan even had an off on a one inch stick!
    We incorporated a few new tracks, and found more potential. A very nice descent was found in One Tree Hill park.
    Dan pulled out halfway along with a headache. Mitchell and I did approx 45km, though his computer shorted out towards the end so we didn't get a readout of the revised full loop.
    Quite a novelty to finish a ride soaking wet and covered in mud. Even though we were wet through it wasn't cold. No dust or flies!
    Stats: 6 hours and one puncture.
    I was fairly wasted as this was my first ride in 3 weeks.

Ohh the BURN!!!
    Nov 2007
    Is ne1 on here from around the Goldcoast area? Just moved up here and lookin 4 some trails and ppl to ride with.
    Checked out Nerang over the wkend for a few hours each day and was pretty happy with what i found, keen to find some other places to ride 4 say 2hr+ xc ride without 2 much back tracking tho.
    Ne1 keen to show me round ova xmas?

Cheers

I've been in Fiji for a week, so look forward to riding in the next day or so. Got some new 2.2 Kenda Cortez on the way from eGay.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've been in Fiji for a week, so look forward to riding in the next day or so. Got some new 2.2 Kenda Cortez on the way from eGay.
    ooohh shheeesh mate, oh dear.... how ever did you cope in Fiji !~!

new tyres... we expect that of you

ooohh shheeesh mate, oh dear.... how ever did you cope in Fiji !~!

new tyres... we expect that of you

I muddled through somehow - ate and drank through the stress of it all.

*BUUUUUUURRRRP!*
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Since my Wife and I (and our 2 dogs) moved to Christchurch a few weeks ago I've been riding alot on the roads- using my recently built single speed to commute and use for everything! We sold our car (hoooorah!) Good times....

Hoping to get to the hills this afternoon

p.s. I think i'm in love with the single speed :S

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Since my Wife and I (and our 2 dogs) moved to Christchurch a few weeks ago I've been riding alot on the roads- using my recently built single speed to commute and use for everything! We sold our car (hoooorah!) Good times....

Hoping to get to the hills this afternoon

p.s. I think i'm in love with the single speed :S
    Pretty exciting stuff ... maybe you get us a few photos

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Pretty exciting stuff ... maybe you get us a few photos
    I woke to 17degs and sunshine today- so I've been in Port Hills all afternoon. What a magnificent day!

Here are a few images- have a great weekend all!

P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty cool scenery there!

I did about 30k's of singletrack - lots of loose gravel, mud, blown down sticks, washouts and so on from the deluge we had the other day.

My new 2.2 Kenda Cortez's laughed and said "Bah humbug!" to all of it.

Except the mud, which stuck to them.

Nice rubber though.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    25 K's of singletrack and farm roads. Much too short, but too much to do...
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

Boxing day "food burnoff" ride - what is known as the "Mt Herbert and Eagle's Nest" run around here. Lost of climbs, loose terrain - especially after all the rain we had. I spent a bit of time moving fallen branches off the singletrack, so people just didn't blaze new trails thru the bush. It amazes me that people will blaze a new trail around a branch that's only as thick as your leg, when they could move it and conserve the bush as it is, apart from the regular singletrack.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Hey Sideknob I've been hearing about the rain you guys are getting! It's unreal. I imagine the trail damage would be quite extensive going from dry hardpack to floods? I too am trying to burn off the crimbo cals

WIth a full belly from all the rubbish one inhales at this time of year off i rolled (literally!) through the city to the Rapaki track in the Port Hills and then back down again on the Farm Track. The Rapaki track is a rocky, stoney wide track that climbs and climbs and climbs- while the farm track in mainly grass (yes grass!) which ends in a rocky'ish finish. Weather was 15degs- windy and icy with sunshine.... awesome!

1hr 46 minutes to ride 23km. It's steep here! But I'm also running Specialized 2.3 Enduro tyres now which are about 800g each - so that is slowing me down slightly. But my Maxxis crossmarks 2.1 just don't cut the mustard- its like riding a road bike. Ha ha.

I still feel full and fat- it was odd gasping up hill with a christmas belly. A tradition? no thanks

What I'm loving is that I can get a ride in the hills by just pointing my bike and pedaling. Its saving me heaps in fuel

Here is a piccy of the Rapaki track (from the other day)

Hey Sideknob I've been hearing about the rain you guys are getting! It's unreal. I imagine the trail damage would be quite extensive going from dry hardpack to floods? I too am trying to burn off the crimbo cals
    It's normally pretty gravelly around here, but some of the tracks are now sporting loose cricket balls all over, blown down branches, and a few less ridden singletrack sections disappeared under washed down leaves, sticks etc.

1hr 46 minutes to ride 23km. It's steep here! But I'm also running Specialized 2.3 Enduro tyres now which are about 800g each - so that is slowing me down slightly. But my Maxxis crossmarks 2.1 just don't cut the mustard- its like riding a road bike. Ha ha.
    Yeah, I like my 2.1 Mibros but it's been a while since I've run high volume rubber, so appreciate the cush of the 2.2 Kendas. Between the carbon post, Ti railed WTB saddle and the soft Cortez's it was like a magic carpet ride.

I still feel full and fat- it was odd gasping up hill with a christmas belly. A tradition? no thanks
    My knees were literally rebounding off my paunch today, adding to the downstroke power, LOL. I might head out tomorrow and do a rolling dirt road, big ring ride I think.

Here is a piccy of the Rapaki track (from the other day)
    Nice looking rollies.
    Less isn't MOAR

About 40k's of fire roads and a bit of singletrack today. Still sussing the Cortez 2.2's out.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    So Sideknob how are the tyres? Got any piccys?

Hanmer Springs. So much climbing! I'm learning very quickly that trails marked at intermediate are kin' challenging here in NZ I only scratched the surface after nearly 2 hrs - so I'll be back there next week.... i'm like a kid in a chocolate shop! so many trails

Good times.

First impressions of teh new 2.3 treads (Specialized Enduro's) are heavy but so much fun!! Grippy and help braking so I'm ok with an extra few grams of rotational weight- this is my fun trail bike anyhow- i'll leave the weight weenie stuff for the hardtail!
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 12-30-2007 at 03:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry, no rides this weekend. On Call for work and it's just too freakin' hot down here!
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

mtbr member
    Narrow Neck first thing this morning. Just beautiful. Clouds in the valleys below on 3 sides. Magic stuff.

So Sideknob how are the tyres? Got any piccys?

Not too bad. I've been used to skinnier rubber of late (the 2.1 High Rollers and 2.1 Mibros) but with it being so dry, loose and rocky I felt like some bigger volume rubber.

So, I got these from The Wooly Hat Shop in the UK, via eBay. About $80 the pair, shipped.

Mounted up, they appear to be about right for a 2.2 (I have no calipers...) and the edging knobs remind me of a few of the Maxxis tyres, like the High Roller, HardDrive and AdVantage. The centre blocks are pretty closely spaced, and there are a lot of edges there for gripping on climbs, without big paddle knobs to growl and ride rough on the smooth stuff. In fact they are pretty quiet on tarmac, far more than the High Rollers. As others have said, these are Karma's on steroids.

I am running them just above the point where I can feel squirm on the corners - and as yet have not felt them bottom at all given the decent volume. I'm running 2.0 Innova tubes.

First ride out I took them on a section of looping singletrack with lots of short, steep, loose climbs, sharp corners with built up berms of powder and loose rock and they took it all in their stride. A few of the usually dodgy corners I was hitting with no brakes and with one foot out the side, carving. They gripped really well on the corners, with none of the "about to fall off the edge" the Spiders used to give me. They also gripped well on the climbs, not often feeling like they were going to let go suddenly.

The other day I took them on the Mt Herbert / Eagle's net run which starts off with a couple of k's of bitumen, and they felt fine on the road. Not slow but not as much "zing" as the Mibros, as I'd expect of heavier, fatter rubber. On the smooth dirt road climbs I found they only started to drag a little below jogging pace - keep the speed up through the rollies and they tick over nicely. Pretty typical of full knobby trail tyres really, and I've had worse. (Blue Dragon!)

They handled the loose rocky crap as well as could be expected - it's really washed out after the deluge we had the other week, and I think most rubber would struggle on the golf and cricket balls that are everywhere.

I've also had them on a rolling hills "big ring" style of ride and if they are kept on the boil they don't feel at all draggy - when grinding however they aren't as easy spinning as the Mibros, but they are a bit bigger and heavier.

Mud - as Johnny T says in the video on Kenda's site, they are for DRY conditions, and I ran them through a couple of mud holes and sure enough, I was still carrying mud half a km later. The centre tread is too close to clean it.

I think they are going to last a while too - there's no chips out of them yet unlike my Mibros or the incredibly fast wearing Spiders the bike started out with.

Plenty of room inside the Reba SL.

The labelling runs nearly halfway around....

The basically non-directional tread.

And most importantly I now have "Tomac" on the bike several times over....

Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    [/QUOTE]

Nice review mate and a nice looking ride too They look similar to the enduro tyres- with nice side knobs and flat'ish centre knobs. Great in the loose stuff

I was >< this close to buying one of those tomac frames from Chainreactioncycles.co.uk last year! Any idea what length fork that frame can take? *googles*

Either way, once my hardtail bike arrive mid january (we shipped our house hold stuff) I'll be throwing on 2.3 on all of them (if the frame accepts them). They just grip on loose stuff much better.

I miss my hard tail!

Nice review mate and a nice looking ride too They look similar to the enduro tyres- with nice side knobs and flat'ish centre knobs. Great in the loose stuff

I was >< this close to buying one of those tomac frames from Chainreactioncycles.co.uk last year! Any idea what length fork that frame can take? *googles*

Either way, once my hardtail bike arrive mid january (we shipped our house hold stuff) I'll be throwing on 2.3 on all of them (if the frame accepts them). They just grip on loose stuff much better.

I miss my hard tail!

Cheers.

Yes, they do look and are sized similar to Specialized rubber, being a little bigger than my rarely used Team Control 2.0 I have sitting around.

I have a 100mm Reba SL on mine, though I have read that the Taos was intended for an 80mm fork. IMO a 100mm fork is the way to go on a HT, 80mm isn't much chop on a trail bike IMO. I think that as the frame is built on the lighter side and has a pretty short head tube, I'd not risk any more than 100mm on it.

I tell you what though, the Omen frame would be pretty cool built up as a HT trail bike with a 120mm fork and lightish parts.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7696

I've always preferred HT's, and the rides I've had on my friends duallies have left me less than impressed. Big rubber turns a good HT into a far more capable bike than you'd think - and between the big tyres, carbon post and Ti railed WTB saddle mine rides pretty smoothly.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    That's a nice ride Sideknob. Always a pleasure to see something unique.

Quote Originally Posted by L'il Matt
    That's a nice ride Sideknob. Always a pleasure to see something unique.

Thanks.

I was lucky to pick up the frame (with headset and XTR front mech) really cheaply off eBay and virtually unused, and it built up really well and for a good price. There aren't many of them around, and it generally arouses a bit of interest - even among the "I hate hardtails" crowd, LOL.

My other bike is a bit on the unusual side too - don't see many Klein MTB's around these parts either. It's mainly a commuter now, but I still take it out on the trails once in a while.

Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Thanks.

I was lucky to pick up the frame (with headset and XTR front mech) really cheaply off eBay and virtually unused, and it built up really well and for a good price. There aren't many of them around, and it generally arouses a bit of interest - even among the "I hate hardtails" crowd, LOL.

My other bike is a bit on the unusual side too - don't see many Klein MTB's around these parts either. It's mainly a commuter now, but I still take it out on the trails once in a while.

Agreed- very nice. It's in such great condition! Do you ride it?

As for hard tail haters? I love em' and prefer a good hardtail over a dually anyday... but to have both is very nice

In fact last year I mostly rode a fully rigid- marathon racing and all.

Any action piccys of the bike?
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 12-31-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Agreed- very nice. It's in such great condition! Do you ride it?

As for hard tail haters? I love em' and prefer a good hardtail over a dually anyday... but to have both is very nice

In fact last year I mostly rode a fully rigid- marathon racing and all.

Any action piccys of the bike?

Yeah, I ride it - as I said it's mostly used to ride to work now and then, but once in a while I take it out and crank it on the trails. It rides nice, but the 2.5 inch Judy SL is a shock after the plush 100mm Reba - but it climbs well. It's 24 speed XT with XTR V brakes (strong calipers, these!) and Velocity K525 rims.

I did the bottom bracket bearings a while back - what a prick of a job that is (they press in, and you need an assortment of bits and pieces to do it, and swinging a mallet beside your frame is a bit unnerving.....) Also put a new headset in, stripped the whole thing down and cleaned, polished then rebuilt it, basically.

I bought the Klein off a workmate in about '97 when my Balance hardtail was stolen, the Klein had been his race bike and he'd only recently put the XT stuff on it.

All the guys I ride with around here are on duallies, and in fact in the LBS recently one guy said I was "mad" to be on a HT. Funny - it doesn't seem to slow me much, and the only reason they fly on the rough downhills is their high riser bars and 2.4 freeride rubber, IMO.

I've ridden a few duallies here and there, and the feel at the bottom bracket of that sucky sensation just put me off forever.
    Less isn't MOAR

fnar fnar brrraaaaap

Dial up death!

All the guys I ride with around here are on duallies, and in fact in the LBS recently one guy said I was "mad" to be on a HT. Funny - it doesn't seem to slow me much, and the only reason they fly on the rough downhills is their high riser bars and 2.4 freeride rubber, IMO.

I've ridden a few duallies here and there, and the feel at the bottom bracket of that sucky sensation just put me off forever.
    He he Well i headed out to Sumner Lake this arvo for a 40KM spin.....and WOW!!! What a location!! and I can honestly say that today was a day i was glad to be on a dually! It was so rocky and rutted it just loved it! I had a blast flying over boulder gardens and through loose gravelly / rocky stuff. The faster i went the better the suspension and tyres worked. The past month I've ridden this dually exclusively (while i'm waiting for my hardtail to arrive)- but it's growing on me- especially since i'm dialing in the setup (a click here and there- a few PSI here and there). I'll ride the hardtail for most marathons etc- but as a fun trail bike its hard to beat.

Anyway here are some pictures. It was the best ride I've had in a long time

Last edited by ilostmypassword; 01-01-2008 at 04:41 AM.

Great pics - that sure does look like a nice place to ride, and I dare say to chuck a worm in at as well.
    Less isn't MOAR

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 36