Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 149 150 151 152 153
Results 3,801 to 3,822 of 3822
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Went and had a go at the Mount Annan Botanical Gardens Mtb course on Tuesday well worth thr trip guys, bout 7-10 ks in length, was quite slippery given all the rain we've had which made it a lil frustrating, it's almost all single track and very well made, was also a lil bit steep for my 150mm travel front end in places, really wished I'd taken my flat pedals instead of my cleats

All in all I thought it was a great track to go and visit, will definatley be going back !!!

Oaks Firetrail this Sat hope the Rain goes esy on us

mtbr member
    Did Manly Dam on the weekend. TOO HOT!!!

What really amazed me was seeing a guy on a none suspension MTB (front or back) , V-brakes and no water doing the same thing. He overtook me.

mtbr member

What did we all ride on the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by CHINOTAKER View Post
    What really amazed me was seeing a guy on a none suspension MTB (front or back) , V-brakes and no water doing the same thing. He overtook me.
    Better that than a unicycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott is a tool.
    Wow! Nearly a year with no action in this thread.

It used to be thriving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodpuddle View Post

Husband and wife unicyclists overtook my missus at the You Yangs the other day...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    Wow! Nearly a year with no action in this thread.

It used to be thriving.
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Speaking of unicycles, seen a guy riding one on the wodonga-beechworth road on saturday. Think hes riding it around australia or something.

Heres the guy i saw...

Samuel Johnson's wheely long ride for sister | The Border Mail

mtbr member

Today's philosophical question: is it more shameful to be overtaken by a unicycle on the trail or on the road?

fan of maple syrup
    Today's philosophical question: is it more shameful to be overtaken by a unicycle on the trail or on the road?
    I would hazard a guess and say both would bother me an approximately equal amount of fk-all.

And yes, it is super quiet in this forum. Still lots of folk riding. Just not communicating here. Yeah ... it's prob FB.

mtbr member
    Last time I did the Highland Fling there was a guy doing the 55k version on a unicycle. Found him at the 10k to go mark walking........

Anyways, here is a pic from this morning. We rode for about 30 mins without lights before the sun came up only using First Light. Makes getting up at 5am worth it.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-1017366_538996176208548_1327531829_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Ben,
    Maybe the HA was too slack to ride that hill
    Great Pic the pre dawn rides are awesome
    Been getting out a lot
    Maulbrooks at Mogo is a must do for anyone heading to the Batemans Bay area I've been there several times and it never fails to put a smile on my face.
    In fact my wife and younger son requested a 2nd go there in the one trip so thats a high praise
    Also been out to Plenty Gorge since we got back
    Heading to Buller for the Aus day weekend plus a couple of days before it which should be great

mtbr member
    Nice pic!

Unpredictable
    It is a nice photo Ben_M.

+1 for Mogo, BUT here's a tale: a few years ago I went to Maulbrooks on the way home after a golf weekend at Narooma. Plan was one loop, starting about 4PM (November) and then to a mate's place at Bateman's Bay for beers and BBQ.

Checked the map at the trailhead in detail and should have taken a pic of it with the phone. NOTE THIS SUGGESTION DOWN

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080488.jpg

There was also a notice about severe storm damage on trails.

Off down Kick Start.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080504.jpgWhat did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080503.jpg

It's hard to imagine a better start to a ride. If you can't enjoy Kick Start, then there's little hope I think.

The problem with Mogo is that there are good trail signs. They even have "wrong way go back signs" near the trailhead and as a first time visitor, you somehow become dependant on them.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080496.jpg

One problem I have with Mogo after a couple of visits is that signs are there if you know where to look. If you don't, like between Sheoak and Snake, you can be confused.

At the bottom of Kick Start that year, there were all sorts of branch trails or braids. Some looked closed. Others not.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080507.jpg

I did not see the sign for Loopy Trail on the other side of the creek (this pic is not from that trip, so maybe it was less visible), so I rode back up the fire road to the map and checked again. OK, got it - cue Bee Gees "Staying Alive" as I hit KS trail again.

At the end of Loopy, there was a singletrack that looked inviting, but I could see so much massive storm damage all around that I decided to use the fire road and cut out part of the long loop. It was a bad choice. I rode on basically open road for a few hundred metres before the fire road started to become covered by fallen lumber. Most places had ride-arounds and I was sucked into going farther. Soon it was carnage, with thousands of fallen trees. I managed to get past or over them and made it to AST Track eventually.

Cue "Staying Alive" again. A fun downhill grade and I was feeling great. There were no trees across this trail. I saw a sign for Thru Track and after that things went bad. Having been back I know now that I did Swamp Track without seeing a sign. Maybe it was destroyed, with hundreds of monster (2+m trunks) trees down to the point I could not even guess where the trail went.

I started leaving the bike, climbing and ducking to find the trail up to 100m ahead. I'd go back and get the bike and try to carry it through without breaking a leg and then do it again and again. When I finally made it to signs that warned me of a fire road, it was after a short but refreshing ride without any problems. I would have started to perk up, but it was getting very gloomy and starting to rain.

On the other side of the fire road was total devastation. Nothing was left, it had all been flattened or bulldozed. There was no sign of a trail or sign for a MTB trail. I could see an intersection to my left, so I rode the three fire roads looking for a sign of a sign, or the trailhead, until I felt lost in the rain and dimming light. It was now 7PM. So what to do next....... That's when I made a big mistake. I called the cops at Moruya.

I told them where I was, how I did AST and Thru Tracks and maybe more and that I needed the phone number for a contact at the Eurobodalla Cyclists Club to help me confirm my location and which fire road I had not ridden quite far enough to find the trailhead (it was my first choice and the one I told the cops I thought I was near - Maulbrooks Rd). They refused and told me to stay put and they were sending out a vehicle. I said I didn't think I needed that and that club members would get me out, just like they would here on the Gold Coast. They said I had to do what they said now.

So I waited in the rain and was interrogated about food, water, shelter, riding buddies, phone life and I felt like a real dick. They told me I was 12km from where I thought I was. Strange really on a 16km loop. A vehicle was sent out and because they refused to listen to me, or read the trailhead map when they got there, they got lost. Blasting your car horn is not going to help if you are km's from where you want your lost drongo to be!

About 8.00 a 4WD came down the fire road and crossed the creek where I was sitting and sooking. The traditional owner told me I was only a couple of k's from the trailhead and confirmed it was Maulbrooks Rd I had first ridden. I said thanks and asked if I could follow him to be certain as the cops had told me to stay put. After muttering "cops, did you say cops..." he jumped in the car and said bye.

After sooking for another hour or so, he came back. No sign of the cops. He apologised for leaving me. Said he did the wrong thing and helped me load the bike into his car and took me back to the trailhead. Best as I can tell, I was within 3-400m of finding it on my first attempt, when I turned back due to uncertainty. The cops turned up from the trail alongside Kick Start as we pulled into the car park.

They were pissed and gave me a big lecture about putting myself and emergency services in jeopardy. I gave my rescuer $50 for coming back - it was a really, really good thing he did and 50 was not really enough of a reward in these heartless times. The cops seemed to think it was for something else....

So, Yes Mogo (Maulbrooks) is a really exciting ride and having been back since and planning to go back again this year, you must go there!

And remember everyone: if there is a trailhead map, take a pic up close. It may not be up to the minute, but it is going to help when the Bandicoot **** hits the rotor. Not all photos are just for the love of the place. I remember Mogo like the next pic, but I also remember the map like it is lasered into my head now

What did we all ride on the weekend?-p1080510.jpg

No good in rock gardens..
    I've had a long while off the bike, but am getting back into it now. Been playing with my Replay cam a bit.

Sunday MTB - YouTube
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    I've been lucky enough to have been given this to get dirty for the past 2 weeks.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13214512894_25705b2793_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13213901013_a6d6912e75_z.jpg

Focus Sam 2.0. 160mm Travel, 27.5 wheels and 780mm wide bars. Compared to what i'm use to, this is a big bike. Im trying to sell my Cannondale so I can upgrade to something similar so I was very interested in seeing the difference and how much better it is, and the answer was, a fair bit. Rocky trails which would normally throw my 120mm bike around was a piece of cake for this thing, it was also much faster through berms as well. Its going back this week but maybe we will meet again. (anyone wanna buy my Cannondale, ppllleeeeaaassssseeeeeee!!!!)

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13054027735_a7878dab6a_z.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13214078565_45413eccbd_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13214174773_58ea4d2732_o.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13054003495_10f706937e_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-13177983713_7e801cff4f_c.jpg

Looks interesting. How's it climb on longer climbs?

mtbr member
    When you read reviews on bikes like these the reviewer will normally throw in the line, 'Climbs like a XC bike'. Well, its obvious that said reviewer has not ridden a xc bike for a while because they don't, but, for what they are they climb pretty good. I found the rear bobed a lot on technical climbs, but shifting the leaver to trail mode (half lockout) it was much better. It also has great grip and is very stable so it climbs technical stuff really well. On the smoother stuff its slow, but its not painful.

I was missing the small ring as the front shifter had been broken off so I didn't get a chance to spin easily up any hills, but climbing never felt like a chore.

I know exactly what you mean.

"Climbs like an XC bike!"

(weighs 31lbs, has 900 gram tyres and only one chainring, with supple 6" suspension....)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stromlo + Sparrows/Kowen every possible weekend

mtbr member

Narrow Neck, Blue Mountains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lawson and the oaks today. was damn cold in the wind at dawn, but perfect riding amongst the trees. Oaks extension is fun, dead smooth like a park trail, but good fun.

mtbr member
    I thinks it's been cold everywhere!!

I had a bit of a farewell ride on the weekend as we are moving to Goulburn (that will be warmer ) Was raining, cold and foggy so only about half of those who said they would turn up did, but I kinda expected that when I woke up and saw the weather. Was one of the most relaxed and enjoyable rides I have done in a long time, was very similar to the kind of rides we did 10 years ago when I first moved here. Nice way to finish up.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14399469767_23b4f867e0_c.jpg

My best riding mate who I've done most of my riding with and done road trips with kept the green paint from a fancy dress party the night before on just for a laugh. And he got one.

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14399258899_369a36ddf2_c.jpg

Speaking of laugh, this is Mick heading over 'The Wall of Murph', named after me because I built it. I provided entertainment by crashing on the for the first time and landing straight on top of the rocks. Still got the bruises to prove it.....

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14399178240_db194cc606_c.jpg

What did we all ride on the weekend?-14397726358_79c00c917c_c.jpg

Getting excited about the move as I've got a whole new area of trails to discover (even if I have ridden lots of them).

Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 149 150 151 152 153