Page 152 of 156 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 LastLast
Results 3,776 to 3,800 of 3886
    fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by beardi View Post
    Also, I didn't post a pic to showoff my bike (which is so old it still has those 26 inch wheels)
    In my book, that's _more_ of a reason to show it off

Good to hear you're getting some trail action down there. Be sure to get in touch if you're up our way over the xmas period.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Shaping up to be a very busy Dec/Jan unfortunately. I'll let you know next time i'm in town, keen to ride somewhere with more than a 4km loop!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Rode our newly completed trails in Hornsby, Sydney
    Here is a buggered up vid thrown together to show what the trails are like... More betterer one soon!

this is probably one of the worst put together vids i have ever done. but here it is... somehow i screwed up the encoding and we ended up with this boxed in view, i'm reworking it but this will give you an idea of the track!

https://vimeo.com/56178033

Unpredictable
    Looks like it would be hard to get a really high qual vid of those trails. They were pretty techy and bumpy. Looks outstanding and a massive amount of work has been done. It is now definitely on my list, having family about 100k north.

While some of the climbing was obviously green trail, what were the ratings of the others? Was the first a black trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah that first climb is Blue but has a black line off the to left over the logs. The first downhill bit is blue with a black off to the left with the other large log ride. They put those in as filters so if you can't do the first bit don't try the rest. But it's pretty fun, ill try to get some better footage, probably not mounted to the bike though.

Unpredictable
    Love to see more as I doubt I will get there to ride there inside of 6 months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    http://vimeo.com/56283000

Here is a new edit
    Last edited by foxpuppet; 12-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by foxpuppet View Post
    The URL is wrong fp, but the vid is good. Was the bird a baby butcher bird? Great trails.

Should be

Hornsby Mountain Bike Park - 2nd edit on Vimeo
    Last edited by Ridnparadise; 12-25-2012 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Great trails looks like a lot of fun, ans Sydney certainly needs it! I know where ill be riding next time in Sydney. Is there a link to more info?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    There is no official link as yet as the council has not opened the park "officially" just work has been completed. Very soon though. In the mean time it's at quarry rd, Hornsby nsw, park down the end of quarry road about 50m past the trail signs. Trail is only open during daylight hours due to council stipulation to keep residents groups happy.

mtbr member
    Cheers mate, ill look for more info when I head up there next.

I’ve done a few nice rides in a past month but have been too busy to post here, but I thought I’d do it now.

Early December a mate and myself did a road trip from Wagga to Tathra and Jindabyne. The trip over the snowy mountains was really nice with some awesome scenery and great little towns full of old Australian Architecture. We stopped at Cooma on the way for dinner and had a couple of Turkish Pides, these things were massive and lasted from Friday night to Sunday morning.

Saturday morning saw us pulling the bikes off the roof at the Bundadong trail network in Tathra. Mick had ridden here about 12 months before and highly rated it which was one of the main reasons we were there and well, he was right.

Nice flowing trails with some fast gully crossings. “Bridges” had about 20 gully crossings which was a lot of fun, but in my opinion the best trail was “Anchors Away”. Super fast with lots of burms and some small jumps had me smiling from ear to ear. I had my new Canondale which was hooked up like nothing else I’ve ever ridden which added to the awesomeness of the ride, this active suspension thing is pretty cool. On the first run down “Anchors Away & Nizentite” my camera fell out of my open backpack, I thought there was no way we were going to find it so I didn’t bother going back up (Long story short, a lady walker picked it up and dropped it off to the local bike shop and I got it back!!!) Along with the main Bundadong area we also headed over to the Fire Shed Trails which are connected together by some trails. This section is fun and a little bit flatter than the main section which means no big climbs but no big descents. There is a newish creek section which was a lot of fun and there is also a black downhill run towards the end of the loop that is a real hoot (not sure why it is rated black though?).

With almost 40ks in the legs it was time to make a move. Before leaving town we stopped at a pub for lunch with a fantastic view but a noisy seagull.

We said goodbye to Tathra and headed off on the 2.5hr trip to Jindabyne and the Bungarra trail network located on private property on the southern side of town. With a flow track, pump track, skills track, a jumps track and green, blue and black rated trails there is a lot on offer at Bungarra. We spent a bit of time playing on the pump track and skills track plus riding most of the other trails. My pick of the trails was “Wild Goats” track, really and technical trail that forces you to concentrate the whole way up and down.

20ks done and we were off back to our nights accommodations in Cooma. Unfortunately the nights accommodations was not as good as the previous night, the disadvantages of a road trip on a budget.

Sunday morning saw us back to Jindabyne (we could not get cheap accommodation for one night) and to the Mill Creek/Trylean trail network. Ever since watching the All Terrain MTB Challenge/Red Bull Ride videos from this area I have always wanted to ride here.

Im not sure that I have ever started a ride any better way. The main trail that runs across the hill is a flat out blast with some great comers and plenty of rocks to skip over. I was getting quite comfortable with the new bike by now and I was keeping off the brakes much more than I ever have before, I was so full of confidence and having so much fun. After ending up at the dam wall we headed back and rode most of the trails that came off the main trail. These are the total opposite of the main trail, slow and technical. There seemed to be a surprise around every corner whether it be a rock garden, a steep climb or a tight corner, you never knew what to expect. We climbed up to the trip point at the top of a north shore black run for some fantastic views.

Unfortunately I was smashed by this time so I didn’t really feel like riding anything too knarly so we headed down another very fast narrow trail all the way down to the lake, a great trail to finish on.

Back in the car and we head to our last destination, Lake Crackenback. The easiest trail network on our trip it was best left to last as our (well my) bodies were suffering a bit, but once I got going it was much better. While nothing extreme it is a quite enjoyable ride around the village and along the fast flowing river and back again.

They also have a very nice skills area and the best pump track or bowl that ive ever ridden. We met Paul who was the builder who was there having a run looking at some possible modifications.

After a final run on the pump track using up what energy I had leftit was time to call the trip over and head back to normality and back to family life.

Such a great road trip with some of the best trails I ever ridden, I can highly recommend all of the places we rode, I would go back to all of them if I had the chance. I think I’ve only just come down off the high from the trip a month later. I am in the middle of making a video which has more of the actual riding in it, I will post up when done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rode my favourite trails within East Kowen/Sparrows Hill in ACT on Sunday. Managed my longest ride yet; 52km non-stop.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 52kilometers near Kowen | Times and Records | Strava

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M View Post
    Cheers mate, ill look for more info when I head up there next.

I’ve done a few nice rides in a past month but have been too busy to post here, but I thought I’d do it now.

Early December a mate and myself did a road trip from Wagga to Tathra and Jindabyne. The trip over the snowy mountains was really nice with some awesome scenery and great little towns full of old Australian Architecture. We stopped at Cooma on the way for dinner and had a couple of Turkish Pides, these things were massive and lasted from Friday night to Sunday morning.

Saturday morning saw us pulling the bikes off the roof at the Bundadong trail network in Tathra. Mick had ridden here about 12 months before and highly rated it which was one of the main reasons we were there and well, he was right.

Nice flowing trails with some fast gully crossings. “Bridges” had about 20 gully crossings which was a lot of fun, but in my opinion the best trail was “Anchors Away”. Super fast with lots of burms and some small jumps had me smiling from ear to ear. I had my new Canondale which was hooked up like nothing else I’ve ever ridden which added to the awesomeness of the ride, this active suspension thing is pretty cool. On the first run down “Anchors Away & Nizentite” my camera fell out of my open backpack, I thought there was no way we were going to find it so I didn’t bother going back up (Long story short, a lady walker picked it up and dropped it off to the local bike shop and I got it back!!!) Along with the main Bundadong area we also headed over to the Fire Shed Trails which are connected together by some trails. This section is fun and a little bit flatter than the main section which means no big climbs but no big descents. There is a newish creek section which was a lot of fun and there is also a black downhill run towards the end of the loop that is a real hoot (not sure why it is rated black though?).

With almost 40ks in the legs it was time to make a move. Before leaving town we stopped at a pub for lunch with a fantastic view but a noisy seagull.

We said goodbye to Tathra and headed off on the 2.5hr trip to Jindabyne and the Bungarra trail network located on private property on the southern side of town. With a flow track, pump track, skills track, a jumps track and green, blue and black rated trails there is a lot on offer at Bungarra. We spent a bit of time playing on the pump track and skills track plus riding most of the other trails. My pick of the trails was “Wild Goats” track, really and technical trail that forces you to concentrate the whole way up and down.

20ks done and we were off back to our nights accommodations in Cooma. Unfortunately the nights accommodations was not as good as the previous night, the disadvantages of a road trip on a budget.

Sunday morning saw us back to Jindabyne (we could not get cheap accommodation for one night) and to the Mill Creek/Trylean trail network. Ever since watching the All Terrain MTB Challenge/Red Bull Ride videos from this area I have always wanted to ride here.

Im not sure that I have ever started a ride any better way. The main trail that runs across the hill is a flat out blast with some great comers and plenty of rocks to skip over. I was getting quite comfortable with the new bike by now and I was keeping off the brakes much more than I ever have before, I was so full of confidence and having so much fun. After ending up at the dam wall we headed back and rode most of the trails that came off the main trail. These are the total opposite of the main trail, slow and technical. There seemed to be a surprise around every corner whether it be a rock garden, a steep climb or a tight corner, you never knew what to expect. We climbed up to the trip point at the top of a north shore black run for some fantastic views.

Unfortunately I was smashed by this time so I didn’t really feel like riding anything too knarly so we headed down another very fast narrow trail all the way down to the lake, a great trail to finish on.

Back in the car and we head to our last destination, Lake Crackenback. The easiest trail network on our trip it was best left to last as our (well my) bodies were suffering a bit, but once I got going it was much better. While nothing extreme it is a quite enjoyable ride around the village and along the fast flowing river and back again.

They also have a very nice skills area and the best pump track or bowl that ive ever ridden. We met Paul who was the builder who was there having a run looking at some possible modifications.

After a final run on the pump track using up what energy I had leftit was time to call the trip over and head back to normality and back to family life.

Such a great road trip with some of the best trails I ever ridden, I can highly recommend all of the places we rode, I would go back to all of them if I had the chance. I think I’ve only just come down off the high from the trip a month later. I am in the middle of making a video which has more of the actual riding in it, I will post up when done.
    Post up the vid. You have ridden some nice stuff there for sure.

mtbr member
    My latest little adventure was in the Blue Mountains over the Christmas break. Myself and a brother in law decided to do the Andersons Fire Trail with the hopes of continuing onto the Oaks Fire Trail, depending on how we were feeling.

From Wentworth Fall Station it was bitumen for about 6ks until we got to an old hospital where we hit the dirt. Slightly downhill with a few undulations until we got to the turn off for the Anderson Trail.

Some nice faster trails with some loose corners was finally brining in the fun factor then more undulations with the only thing of note was a couple of short steep technical climbs.

Within no time we had reached the fun section, the long downhill down into the valley.

Steep rocky downhills and tight loose corners make sure that you were concentrating all the way down while having a blast. It was all over too soon as in no time at all we were at the bottom of the valley where at the first creek crossing we were meet by a foreign man in his speedos looking at something in the trees with his wife. We said hi and quickly moved on to the second creek crossing, the fun one. We both crossed the creek successfully, I got drenched as I had a heap of speed going in and the splash ensured my front was saturated, but as it was a hot day I didn’t care a bit.

After a bit of a cool down and a rest we saddled back up to take on the big climb out of the valley. 3ks long with some very steep (21% apparently) and rocky sections separated by some not so steep sections. This climb along with some of the other ones were teaching my brother in law that the main climb up Stromlo isn’t that hard after all. He had never ridden (well walked) up anything like it before so it was a good eye opener to him. I was happy with my effort which had me stopping only twice and only walking about 5m to the nearest water bar to start again.

Once we reached the gate up the top it got much smoother and the gradient was more of a gentle slope (brother in law didn’t think so). We finally got some good views as well. That was one thing that I thought was a little disappointing, doing a ride like this in the Blue Mountains you expect some pretty good views. Besides a couple of glimpses of some hills there was not much to look at.

One final hurdle was a short but very steep climb once we hit the bitumen, not sure but it defiantly felt like the steepest of the day. We cruised the last section through the town of Woodford and went straight to the train station, we were both fairly knackered and even though there is pretty much no climbing on the Oaks trail we decided we had had enough.

We waited for the next train to come, put the bikes on the train and spent the next 15mins in a tiny little box with our bikes trying to keep them out of the way of other passengers.

Overall it was a fun day but nothing spectacular. I don’t feel the need to do the ride again, still need to do the Oaks trail.

A couple of days later with the other brother in law in tow we headed out to Scribbies which was in the first issue of Flow Magazine. It took a lot of research to find it but it was well worth it. I took a wrong turn at the start which cost us about 20mins and included pushing through some thick scrub to find a fire road, but once we found our way it was great fun. I would imagine it would only get better the more you got to know the trail as there are a few different lines to take in places. Would love to go back there one day.

mtbr member
    Video from the road trip.

Enjoy.

Sea to Snowies - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beardi View Post
    The trailhead is at the cnr of Devlin and Hall rd's in Foster. The park is called Cement Hill Reserve. No map that i'm aware of but the loop is prob 5-6 kms. The trail is signed at most intersections now after they got some funding. You can't get lost really so just go for a spin and see how you go. Not worth it from Melbourne but if you're in Invy it's the best option around. I'm in Cape Paterson, give me a yell if you want a tour.....please bear in mind I'm quite unfit!
    Apologies for the late response. Thanks Berdi, that and the Strava link are great. I've been riding my SS 29'er out of Invy up Inv-Outtrim rd to Mt Misery (well named that!) and back for a ride so glad there's a ST option. Forster's about 40min away right?

I'll ST you when I'm next down. More than happy to ride with someone, even a 26'er ;-)
    If I'm not dusty, muddy or hurting I'm not trying......

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yesterday was the first time I rode in ages, I have hardly ridden in anger since having a child and buying a house. Now that I have gotten far too fat and lazy, I think I'll have to start getting out regularly again.

So I rode Makara Peak, Welly NZ with some buddies. Went up via Koru, then the 4WD track because we are too unfit to do Sally Alley/Missing Link/Aratihi. Then we came down via Northface, end of RL Ext, Magic Carpet, then Swigg/Starfish. We all had a nice cold Sappora beer afterwards as reward for our efforts.

mtbr member
    Fox Creek on Friday with a mate. The conditions were perfect. I kept riding until my legs cramped up. It was a great day and I cant wait to go back!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nice write-ups Ben, good to see you still have the passion.
    Unfortunately I'm kind of in McSlows position. Marriage, house etc.. However I will be back! Planning a write up on some of the GDT I did over Christmas.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Nice write-ups Ben, good to see you still have the passion.
    Unfortunately I'm kind of in McSlows position. Marriage, house etc.. However I will be back! Planning a write up on some of the GDT I did over Christmas.
    Just wait until the kids come Hud!! Ive always had the passion, just lacking the time to do anything with it. So much that i've had to join the gym to keep fit!!!! Its really not that bad

Look forward to the write up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Unfortunately I'm kind of in McSlows position. Marriage, house etc.. However I will be back!
    Sounds like fun Hud! Ive just spent a few days down riding the lovely trails of Forrest. Stayed in the caravan park. Love how you can just park your car and ride to the trails. Place was busy on Sat. Lots of riders getting in some last minute practice before the 100k this wkend. I will have to do it one year. Maybe next year. Im prob about mid-level fitness.

On thurs i started off with 4,5 6 Follow the dog. Fun loop. Some nice little pinches on follow the dog. You sure earn your post ride coffee.

In the arvo rode out to the Yaugher trails and did the super loop. Nice and fast, flat and flowy. Suits my style really being not so used to hills.

In the evening, teed up with a few local guys who were riding up to do the lower part of red carpet. I decided to kick on and get to the top and do the whole of red carpet. Glad i did. Was the best time of day with the sun just about setting. Had a blast hooning down red carpet. Sweet track!! Met all of the other lads back at the brewery.

Next day did 4, 5 and 6 again, then in the arvo went and did Grass Trees and Mariners. Hard to beat really. Bit of everything thrown in. Love the berms and gullies!

On sat did another lap of Grass Trees and Mariners.

All up did about 73-74 odd ks according to strava. Not a bad effort!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Managed to finally get a couple of rides in at Woodhill after nearly two months of no action due to work up North. The dry summer has definitely pushed out the sand and made for some pretty fun and, due to the lack of riding, fairly unpredictable riding as well. Managed to avoid any spills and absolutely loved every second of it. My new, second hand forks arrived today as well so can not wait to rig them up and go for another burn!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Seeing those pics has got me pumped Ben, heading up to the Oaks for the first time in 10 years next weekend !!! can't wait !!!

mtbr member
    Good to hear the pics got you pumped G Man, im sure the trail will have changed a bit in 10 years!! Enjoy.