Page 11 of 155 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast
    No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    On Sunday I went out for an hour on one of the usual tracks (not many to choose from in Cobar!).

Hey Ducktape, how dry is it up that way? I go up through Cobar two or three times a year en route to hunt the mighty feral pig. We used to dine in fine style at Bogas until they knocked it down, no we go to that big truckstop joint further up the road.

I was last up there in July and it was green as, but I imagine it's dried off a lot since then eh?
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

fan of maple syrup
    A great ride is just so much more than a great ride isn't it! You know the ones where the wind was at your back, you were feeling energetic and amped up, and at the end you just think, gee this was a really great ride, now that's what it's all about! Sure we don't always get those moments which is what makes them even more special. My above was probably half way there in that regard.
    Amen. It's no wonder they say exercise is a good cure for depression (not that I'm saying you're depressed of course, but you get the point).

I used to think it was the so-called 'endorphin rush' that made me feel better after a ride. That was until I started serious weight training and discovered what an endorphin rush really was. So I think with riding it's just the fact that it's so great to be out there, on the trails, tearing it up, having fun, being with your mates (if not riding solo). Turns any s**t day good.

I AM I AM
    Nuclear, yeah it gets the blood flowing and all that frustration energy out. Great for the mind, body & soul as they say. Lol, it was coming up to that time of the month, seems to make me pretty moody.
    Something I've found though, the more you ride the more you need to ride, I don't ride as much as I used to because I have to look after the kiddies now, but I remember before my legs used to get pretty restless if I hadn't ridden for a couple of days. Now I'm sitting here reading forums and should be doing sit ups to get rid of the flab creeping around my waist!

Sideknob, we've had a fair bit of rain lately, the grass is growing like crazy. Apart from that it has been really dry all year. When we moved here in July last year it was green, and we had lemons on the tree. This July, it was dry as a bone, no sign of lemons yet, the tree has only now grown a heap of leaves. And it has been only int the last 3 weeks things have greened up and hte grass actually needs to be mowed!
    So yeah drought has somewhat broken! Still it doesn't take very long for the ground to soak it all up, however a few puddles around at the moment and looks like yet another storm coming our way, the place surely needs it so I won't be complaining!

That truckstop you got to would probably be the Shell opposite the caravan park, I'm living not too far from there.

We are moving soon though (January),to Nannup WA so I'll have to get used to riding up hills again, well for longer than 15 minutes to the top of the biggest hill in Cobar.

That truckstop you got to would probably be the Shell opposite the caravan park, I'm living not too far from the caravan park
    Yep, that's the one.

Cheers.

fan of maple syrup
    Just rode the 'pink ribbon trail' as it's come to being known. Nice work whoever made it - does anyone have any idea? It looks pretty fresh, a lot of it still goes over grass. We actually rode it in reverse I'm guessing, since we were passing berms as we were climbing up the hill (following your directions woody). Someone's even added a wooden jump ramp there too .... i'll have to hit that next time when we do it the proper way. Some nice tight stuff through that plantation area, a little bit exploratory, a few kangaroos thrown in the mix - I like it. It's even got a bit of a climb to it which is a welcome change to the Yarra ride.

Anyway - no snakes, though a large family walking in the opposite direction warned us of a tiger snake 'this big!' ... we didn't see it

mtbr member
    Good to hear you liked the trail nuclear. I rode that switchback section (with the berms) in the downhill direction and i prefered in up hill. I found the corners waay to tight to carry any speed and make use of the berms. Yeah I've looked at that wooden ramp a few times but never hit it.
    Whoever is making the trail, they certainly are busy. When i rode it again today they was a new section about 200 metres long added in since Wednesday. The person who built it definatly likes switchbacks!

Scott is a tool.
    Did the Kona 24hr at Forrest. Well and truly popped my 24hr cherry, amongst many other things such as lungs. Good times.

Wal.

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    Rode the last Urban Polaris. Tested some new gearing on the SS. 36x16. Hard work over 85kms. Just waiting on results, should place ok in the solo category.

mtbr member
    I rode the Kona 24 - what an awsome track network. I can't wait to spend some weekends down there exploring
    cheers
    Pagey

Well, I was busy on the weekend with a 21st and a wedding, so I didn't get out.

So today I did some rolling dirt road miles, and for a change I rode my '93 Klein Pinnacle. The old girl excels on these sorts of courses, with it's 2.5 inch Judy SL, and the angles encourage you to jump out of the saddle instead of downshifting. The twitchyness would give people only used to newer bikes some concern however.

I felt pretty slow - I think it might have something to do with all the party food and beer I drank over the weekend.

My Dog eats poo
    May 2007
    Didnt ride it this weekend but booked in for the Double Centurion of the BMC 100 and the Dirtworks 100. Should be a fun few weeks and heaps of time spent training before hand.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    I rode the Kona 24 - what an awsome track network. I can't wait to spend some weekends down there exploring
    I dunno. The second and third tracks were really good I'll agree, but that first track was just crap, mostly because of the sand and poor track surface. You'd climb a pinch and the soil would just fall out underneath you. Though the techy stuff you were pretty much at the mercy of wherever the sand wanted to take you, by the time I got out there (lap 4).

But I'd love to have done more than 2 laps on the night track. Did a double stint right towards the end on the second day lap.

How good was Snozzas hill? Wait... what's that? People are still complaining about it being too hard? Gah, learn to climb hills

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Blooded my Miyata Trailrunner SS build at Majura.

I had built it up as an SS commuter but the commuting thing just wasn't happening so it's now an SS dirt rig. Full rigid and 38:16. A bit taller gearing than I'd like but not far off 32:14 in the big scheme of things so I guess I'll just get a bit more of a workout.

Freakiest thing was how the rigid front end doesn't exhibit dive when it hits obstacles or under brakes. Sooo long since I've ridden rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    I dunno. The second and third tracks were really good I'll agree, but that first track was just crap, mostly because of the sand and poor track surface. You'd climb a pinch and the soil would just fall out underneath you. Though the techy stuff you were pretty much at the mercy of wherever the sand wanted to take you, by the time I got out there (lap 4).
    The best thing about the first track were the berms - sweet

But I'd love to have done more than 2 laps on the night track. Did a double stint right towards the end on the second day lap.
    Agreed - I got 2 laps in on the night track and would of loved another 10 - nice and flowy

How good was Snozzas hill? Wait... what's that? People are still complaining about it being too hard? Gah, learn to climb hills
    HAHAHAHA - I know what you mean. It certainly wasn't steep. I think a lot of people struggled with the technical ground and all the grass trees - still a good easy swichback climb to warm the legs up on at the start of each lap.
    cheers
    Pagey

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    With the state series round being on tomorrow, a few of us went for a last minute social ride... with one of us (me) coming backwith a broken wrist.

So annoyed/upset, there goes my chances for the state series ;(

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I quite literally feel your pain, except mine is in my back, well it is much better now.
    Ironically I was doing some trackwork when I did my back in. After suffering badly for two days I went to a chiropractor. It was sore as for 24 hours but now is improving rapidly. This is two weekends I've missed my ride so I'm really champing at the moment.

Ex MTBdirt
    Sep 2006
    Rode Daisy Hill State forest, here in SEQld, for a couple of hours this arvo. After the rain of the past week, trail is tacky and humid.

I got married - so no MTB for me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    I got married - so no MTB for me!
    Congratulations !~!

Cheers. Will be off the bike for the next week, soaking up some tropical sun and cocktails.

*Buuuurrrrp!*

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cheers. Will be off the bike for the next week, soaking up some tropical sun and cocktails.

*Buuuurrrrp!*

oh, I thought you were going to take the bride to NZ and soak up some singletrack

cheers mate, avagoodone !~!

Hud
    Singletrack minded

*Buuuurrrrp!*
    C'mon what are you doing on MTBR? Aren't you on your honeymoon?
    No more posting for you for a week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    C'mon what are you doing on MTBR? Aren't you on your honeymoon?
    No more posting for you for a week.
    He's prolly doing something resembling his avatar !~!

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    He's prolly doing something resembling his avatar !~!
    There's a Star Wars convention in town and nobody told me??? Damn!!!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Went out to St Andrews today. Decided at the last minute against riding to Kinglake on wet clay, so apologies to Piker and anyone else who was hanging out for a St A. session.
    Drizzling rain for most of the day, every bush we brushed past soaked us. The numerous logs were terrribly slippery, Dan even had an off on a one inch stick!
    We incorporated a few new tracks, and found more potential. A very nice descent was found in One Tree Hill park.
    Dan pulled out halfway along with a headache. Mitchell and I did approx 45km, though his computer shorted out towards the end so we didn't get a readout of the revised full loop.
    Quite a novelty to finish a ride soaking wet and covered in mud. Even though we were wet through it wasn't cold. No dust or flies!
    Stats: 6 hours and one puncture.
    I was fairly wasted as this was my first ride in 3 weeks.

Page 11 of 155 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast