Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 3934
    fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Couple of hours in the steeps yesterday morning. Predictably the sunny morning turned to crap at mid-day. The 2.2 Karma outcorners the 2.0 by a big margin, with the 2.0 skidding out to the side and letting the team down. Not to worry, it won't last long, and was missing a knob or two already.

Decided to pull my shift cables out and relube - as per usual the rear shift cable frayed on the way back in so I had to go to the LGS to get a newie. Which was cool as I found some stick on cable guides I've wanted for a while now - $5 for five was pretty good, and as I only needed one I now have a lifetime supply!

New cables and housings lubed up and it's all slick and "push button" now.

Dude- run continuous and you have slick shifting for years

What have i been riding lately? The same old....

I see you guys have a week of good weather ahead? Post up some photos guys......

mtbr member
    The Wingello red track yesterday and some firetrail around Berowra this morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    3 hour enduro that was run by the New gippsland mountainbike club. great event great organisation and the best weather we have had for seems like months. 60km of great fun

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave999
    3 hour enduro that was run by the New gippsland mountainbike club. great event great organisation and the best weather we have had for seems like months. 60km of great fun
    Great to hear that it went well. Was there many there? I unfortunately couldn't make it down the highway from the big smoke to participate.

Wal.

fan of maple syrup
    Rode out at Mudsterfield today with some mates. Really didn't want to go as I knew it would be a mud-fest and haven't really been inspired by the trails out there for quite a while. But it's where the riding buddies were going so I figured I'd give it a look. Plus I got to see how much time the Eastlink cuts off the trip (15mins less one way).

Yeah, total mudfest for about 80% of the trails. Comm games was the only part that seemed to drain (but even that's in a sorry state for most of it), plus some of the sandier trails. I don't know how things work out there, but I reckon the only answer is to either close the affected tracks for winter, or move them to areas with better run-off (the latter of which I'm assuming may not be possible).

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    Rode out at Mudsterfield today with some mates. Really didn't want to go as I knew it would be a mud-fest and haven't really been inspired by the trails out there for quite a while. But it's where the riding buddies were going so I figured I'd give it a look. Plus I got to see how much time the Eastlink cuts off the trip (15mins less one way).

Yeah, total mudfest for about 80% of the trails. Comm games was the only part that seemed to drain (but even that's in a sorry state for most of it), plus some of the sandier trails. I don't know how things work out there, but I reckon the only answer is to either close the affected tracks for winter, or move them to areas with better run-off (the latter of which I'm assuming may not be possible).
    I can't believe that the trails are even open during winter. Not very responsible to ride them either really is it?..... you can't really complain about muddy/ crap trails when you are contributing to their damage

But i suppose with events like chase teh sun setting the example of trail damage and neglect..... what can you do to better educate the public?

Weird setup at Lysterfield that's for sure
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 08-24-2008 at 02:44 AM.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Raced out at Castlemaine today, but found the course too technical to ride the whole thing. There were a few bits which I think could have been ridden but am not willing to risk at the moment, as I don't need another injury. Also had the honour of watching a Team Sally rider take a section way too slow and end up rolling straight down a hill.

Unfortunately I had to call it a day early - something I ate/drank on lap 1 left me with quite some stomach pain on lap 2, pushed through to start my 7th lap doing consistent 35s, but at that point it suddenly got a lot worse. Had it not been for that I felt like I could have kept going at that pace for a 12 hour, as I was otherwise not feeling any fatigue at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    Dude- run continuous and you have slick shifting for years

Don't wanna drill my guides....and I actually like tinkering once in a while. Buying new cables etc is an excuse to buy other things that you "need."
    Less isn't MOAR

Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    Raced out at Castlemaine today, but found the course too technical to ride the whole thing.

Couple of my mates raced that too. Whereabouts was it held?
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    just got back from the BMC working week round 6, was a pretty good day, awesome track....well once the uphills are out of the way

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We had 35 riders today mostly solo, a few teams, even the 20mm of rain the other day had drained. About 5 puddles total the trails were in near perfect condition. But my wife wants to know what the bruise on my butt is from. The roots were slippery!

fan of maple syrup
    Not very responsible to ride them either really is it?..... you can't really complain about muddy/ crap trails when you are contributing to their damage
    But ... but ... it was the riders before me that were at fault, since it was like that when I got there ...

Seriously though, I was thinking the same thing - which is why after 2 muddy sections we skipped pretty much all the usual suspects from then on until the comm games track. Riders we saw who had obviously come through it (bikes, legs, faces covered in mud) confirmed the conditions.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap

As if by magic we have some UV so off to Bottlelake in a summer top I went. Yes my nipples were like Dolly Partons in the shade, but overall I was loving the 15degs in the sunshine. Strangley, I think that it is the GT’s first ride on trails that are solid in parts I managed two laps (with the second in a kind of reverse- whacked way) and the pace was quite intense as darkness was not blocking my choice of lines and the tunnel vision of night riding and its illusion of speed was not there either….. so I had to go hard and fast to get upto the speed which makes it all worth while

I’ll be honest and say that by the last quarter I was really feeling a bit bonked! I was craving sugar- something other than water….which means that I was working my little legs quite hard…. and why not with parts of the trail hard and fast! One thing that kept bringing a smile to my face was the dust clouds catching the beams of sunlight breaking through the canopy of the trails…. licking my lips I could also taste the trail dust…..what a buzz.

On the way home I literally dived into a dairy (newsagents, milk bar…. what ever!) to grab a can of the old brew- coke. Why I was there a bag of milk bottles took my attention for keeping in my pack….. and then at check out I noticed some Reeses peanut butter cups!!! I had to double take infact, as I’ve not seen these for 11+ yrs! I grabbed two for my wife and I to inhale later

Looks like teh hills will be rideable this week. Thank fuk

Last edited by ilostmypassword; 08-28-2008 at 12:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Got out for a ride today as well. Wanted to explore some different trails I have seen around the place, especially around the Yherran Dherran in Mitcham, which the new freeway tunnel was built under. The new singletrack I found about two weeks ago has been expanded upon a lot, with heaps of new tracks under a small pine forest.
    The trails are mostly smooth, a bit rooty and rocky, and the new tracks are some of the most off camber and steep I've ridden.
    IMG_1147scaled.jpg

IMG_1175scaled.jpg

A little bit un-nerving
    IMG_1179scaled.jpg

IMG_1182scaled.jpg

IMG_1201SCALED.jpg

mtbr member
    The trail head
    IMG_1203scaled.jpg
    The new eastlink bike path
    IMG_1205scaled.jpg
    A rivver side singletrack heading towards Westerfolds
    IMG_1210scaled.jpg
    And up onto a dirt road
    IMG_1213scaled.jpg

IMG_1214scaled.jpg

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Nice to see some pics! Hows the GT treating you?

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Sweet trails Woody!
    So these are heading in the direction of the PR trails?
    Any chance of a meways reference for the trail head?
    Third question: Surely you didn't get that pic of yourself on the timer?
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Timers are really good 95% of my images are from a timer. I reccomend one of these...... FANTASTIC and about $10!

amazing what you can do with a ice cream tub!

mtbr member
    A few more to come, just had to head out to indoor soccer.

The pink ribbon, a bit technical, a bit twisty and a bit fast...
    IMG_1248scaled.jpg
    IMG_1254scaled.jpg
    IMG_1265scaled.jpg
    1268scaled.jpg
    One just after westerfolds.
    IMG_1269scaled.jpg

The ride ended up being pretty slow as I explored a lot of new trails and fireroads beneath some power lines and in amongst some horse stables as well. 60km and a bit over five hours.

The Gt is great! A friend just broke the flexy bit of metal between the bottom bracket and the downtube like Hud mentioned happened to his i-drive 5. I might have to get a spare one just in case.

Yeah heading out to pink ribbon from Westerfolds, the Yarren Dheran part is page 49, B6, From there (starting at the Yarren Dheran after exploring the singletracks) you go North along beside (on singletrack) the Mullum Mullum creek, join onto McIntyres road (49, A1, the dirt road in the farmlands) then onto Rainbow valley road (34, K9) and through Donvale Christian College where you basically follow underneath the high voltage power lines until you end up in amounst horse tracks where if you just head downhill you will end up back on the Mullum Mullum creek bike trail, which goes back to Westerfolds. It took me a few goes to find the best route through everything, but it is a great ride!

Oh yeah, and they are all self timers, took a few goes for most of them though.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thanks for the info, will check it out some time.
    I've also popped the heads off the bolts too. The ride will be all over red rover if that happens on trail - as you'll need a drill and ezy-out.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Not riding exactly.....

Early start this morning to meet up with the ranger "Nick" and others to help with some trail maintenance on the Castle Hill track- Porthills. This was my first meetup with the volunteers of Porthill trails and it was a really fun morning. Aside from putting some names to faces, it was also really interesting to see how trails can be maintained with various approaches such as clearing and making “water run offs” and “amouring” prone areas with rock beds/ gardens. The turn out was really good at close to 25 people so with many hands the whole track was covered.

Highlights included constant bike banter, meeting some great people, helping with a major berm on the trail to increase the flow and a monster rock garden that must have required some major “rock hunting!” The track (and others) is now actually open so tomorrow I’ll be back up there to give it a go tomorrow…. after about 3 months! What a great day… and it is a monthly event so i’ll be there next time.

The good news is that it will be sunny too...

Last edited by ilostmypassword; 08-29-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Petty and weak

Just rode some good ol local tracks with the bro's

Video at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx0HZseylEA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Finally got my ar$e in the saddle......

After a long winter of bugger all riding, i've finally managed to go for a descent ride. Met up with a mate from Healsville at Woori Yallock along the Warburton trail. Headed towards Warbuurton for a bit then up into the nearby hills. From here we got to the O'shaughessy Aquaduct Trail which we rode back towards Woori Yallock. Mainly overgrown vehicle access track which followed the aquaduct until the last few km's which consisted of very slippery single track lined with blackberry bushes. Along the ride I managed to fall into a creek while trying to carry my bike and hop across wet rocks, which after wringing out my socks and gloves, proved quite refreshing. Also had a stack along the slippery single track section only to stack again a couple of hundred meters further on, into the blackberry bushes. Scored a leg full of prickle gashes which are actually more painful than they look. (is there any toxin in blackberry bush prickles ?).

Luckily enough the rain held off, although the clouds above the hills looked nasty all morning. All up, an eventful and enjoyable 38 kms, with a fall in a creek, two stacks, a bit of blood and alot of mud. Not bad for my first ride back after a non eventful winter.

Cheers

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Haha, nice report Sicwombat, like a cow thats been down too long you've lost your sense of balance. No doubt it was a ride to inspire you toget out more.
    I think you can get tetanus from rose thorns, not sure about blackberries. I've been torn up pretty fierce at times but have never experienced any ill effects. Though there can be a little swelling along the edge of the scratch.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Good to see your back on the bike sicwombat!

What a fantastic sunny day here in CHCH! I headed up Rapaki for midday and then over Mt. Vernon- then once over the other side I re- traced my steps back over Mt. Vernon and then over Witch Hill. I’ve not ridden these tracks for at least 3 months and was pleasantly surprised that I rode 90% of them. Woo hoo to keeping up my physical fitness over winter single speeding! Now I just need to work on my technical skills a bit more!

Then onto Castle Rock (where I was helping out yesterday) which was a hoot. Technically I was like a penguin on a bike…. totally useless , but after not riding the Hills proper for so many months I’ll forgive myself! One section that made me gulp was one of the many off camber sections of rock that over summer was totally ridable but was today covered in a thick green algae! I walked that bit! I was chuckling to myself the whole way down as it felt like I’d never ridden the track….. amazing what a few months off a track can do!

Once I was spat out of Castle Rock I laid in the sun for 30 minutes listening to the iPod.. and chilling. The plan was to meet up with my Wife Amy at this spot for some lunch…. but after an hour had passed I thought I’d best ride down the Bridal Path to see if she was on her way up. The gradient was that steep that I had my brakes practically locked up the whole way down…. and it was on a gravel too….. which we all know is brilliant for braking cyclists eh! At the bottom I waited in the sun and Amy turned up soon after…. apparently the buses had got all messed up… which is common here! No stress.

After a lazy lunch in the sun (there is a theme here isn’t there?) we both headed upwards… Amy on foot and myself on the Cove. I have NEVER climbed anything like this before in my entire life! The start of the track required granny and largest ring….and people were struggling to walk up!! I had my chest practically on the bars most of the way and I was constantly wishing for a 36 or 38 gear! After stopping a few times briefly due to the rear spinning out and having to push to a section with no gravel ahead just to get traction again…. I finally made it to the top. WOW what a buzz that was!

Amy joined me minutes later and was struggling a little as walking the track is a real effort too….. it was crazy! Amy had not seen the views from this side of the hill so we had a walk about and spent a few hours taking in the views and just enjoying being out of the city… it was really nice. The temperature started to drop some so I cycled back to Witch Hill then onto Rapaki and down while Amy walked back down the Bridal Path to the bus.

Sunshine- salty marks on camelbak- DUST on the bike. What an epic day…. and Amy loved it too

fan of maple syrup
    Although not technically a 'What did I ride on the weekend..." post, I have spent the last 3 days doing nothing other than watching mountain bike riding at the World Cup in Canberra. Without a doubt one of the best mountain biking experiences I've had. I can't recommend it highly enough that you should all get your arses to Canberra next year for the World Championships, as it will be even bigger.

Will start a separate thread with pics this arvo (unless someone else wants to earlier), but highlights were:
    - All the cool '09 & '10 kit on display
    - Caroline Buchanan winning the Womens 4X and then crying as we all sung the Aussie national anthem while she was on the podium (so nice to see someone genuinely overwhelmed by victory, plus she's such a little cutie).
    - Jared Graves winning the Mens 4X on home turf, after being piffed out of the BMX final in Beijing.
    - Nathan Rennie almost ... alomst taking the Mens DH final.
    - Standing amongst 500+ crazy screaming, whistling, horn-blowing, cowbell-swinging DH fans at Triple Treat as the riders were coming through in the final.

A truly spectacular weekend.

Oh, and if we don't hear from Waldog for a few days, somebody shoul start searching the gutters in Canberra for his hung over body. Either that or the lock-up.

mtbr member
    I spent the week there, racing, helping set up, hurriedly realigning tracks according to the UCI wishes, marshalling and spectating.

Some XC action here http://singlespeed.smugmug.<WBR>com/gallery/5818300_PUiMF

mtbr member
    Saturday, 50ish k ride out at Pomy to do a few laps of the 3hr course, did two of them in reverese which was nice for a change. I also worked out why I was getting a sore back all the time, a really poorly positioned backpack. Have been running it that way for over 2 yrs. Also worked out why I was getting an itchy left nut when riding, it was my leg warmers.

Sunday I was asked to go out to the local club day and take a few happy snaps for a magazine article. As much as I love flogging mself to death in a bike race, I actually enjoyed running around taking photos.
    Here are a few

As you can see the wattle is out at the moment.

And the winner was..... Ash.

At one point I was waiting for the next rider when a pack of about 15 kangaroos came bounding up the valley. I got a shot of this one with a joey in its pouch.

More photos can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050015...7607043272650/

To finish off I did a short night ride on Monday night followed by a bunch ride on my new old Roadie Tuesday morning.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_M
    Also worked out why I was getting an itchy left nut when riding, it was my leg warmers.

mtbr member
    The Yarra trails are dry! Just got an awesome ride in after school out to Heidleberg. Rode all the trails in the area and my bike came back clean! I also got up the super steep pinch on the short, steep trail underneath the bridge (going up the part under the bridge) for the first time since last summer. The dirt jumps beside the tennis courts have had some work done on them too, so the three table tops are now all doubles. First time I've done a proper dirt jump run over a six pack, I think they are probably the friendliest jumps I've ridden though.

Awesome ride!

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Rode Bottlelake on the SS yesterday in the mud and wet.... but woke to sunshine today and could not resist taking the Lynskey out for its maiden voyage after waiting 3+ months for a replacement under warranty. After telling myself to take it easy and just do a bit of riding- an epic it turned out to be and the word "Explosive" is what springs to mind to describe the ride.... riding a ti frame with carbon forks + XTR wheelset is simply fantastic. I'd honestly forgotten how good it was to ride

I've not had a verbal "Woo-hoo" in quite a while but after climbing up Vic Park (again chest on bars) and then nailing some techy ups and downs riding rigid was absolutely off the hook... i could not resist on parts! I even managed to pass lycra / sponsor clad roadies on a few road sections (due to track closures) which is always fun eh

I need another cassette though- this one is also dead...and some serious chain slippage under load at times is the warning sign i've come to except..... bah! Riding with a lower bottom bracket height felt a tad odd too with its old school XC vibe- but I rode the very same bike rigid for most of last summer so it only took an hour or so (read hitting rocks with pedals!) to get used to its characteristics again. The stem has a10deg rise too which i'm not a fan of- so i'll throw on a zero deg instead (would not be to bad with sag).

Fantastic ride. Fantastic to have the frame back (initial hassles aside).

No photos other than post ride at home- as i was not stopping today for no one You guys have seen enough of Port Hills anyhoo

Here she is.

Last edited by ilostmypassword; 09-05-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    100km playing roadie for me today on the nice flat Beach Road, and it'll be a very different 100km tomorrow from home to Gembrook - riding up there and back to help with the Fatties round.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Perfect weather today for a ride, though I've got a touch of sunburn.
    There was Cowpat, Piker, his friends Chris and Jo.
    We did what is comonly known as the Yarra Ridge loop, St Andrews/Christmas Hills
    5 hours inc. stops, 40km, 1130m vertical.
    Great riding including some great new linking trails.
    The last couple are of a particulary tight uphill switchback - look at the angle of Chris' wheel. Jo lost the plot completely...

More pics to come on another post, how do you get the pics running down the page vertically with text above each??

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    This a particulary tight switchback in the downhill direction, if you go too wide you tumble over the edge, which is very steep even though it doesn't look it.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    A lovely bit of bush towards the end of the ride, very green now after the rain.
    The first is my favourite pic of the ride except for the badly placed gumleaves.
    Bailouts were more frequent at this point due to fatigue and cramps...
    *Dismay all over Chris' face as I capture his bail*

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Nice pics hud Those trails look roadie smooth and fast!

Good to see you guys have some dry/ warm weather too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great ride, awesome tracks, nice pictures Hud!

(PS: Mineshaft is clear now.)

I am right!
    Thanks Hud, good to go further than 25kms on a ride for once, although i wouldn't have made it without Pseudoephedryne!!

I'm sure Cowpat has a motor hidden somewhere in all that hydroformed tubing! Also impressed that he had the energy to clear a mineshaft!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Haha, he meant he had cleared an annoying tree that was across 'mineshaft' track.

Barra
    Sep 2008
    Guy's Looks like some good tracks, nice tight corners and surprisingly dry conditions. I will have to get out with you one Sat. cheers Barra

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wife and son were away so theat meant some quality ride time. Decided to escape Sydney as it was being buffeted by some fairly horrendous weather. On the road by 7am destination Canberra. It rained all the way to Goulburn and the skies were very leaden , here I was thinking I am going to drive 280km to ride in the wet that I was trying to escape.Seems like the guys at the BOM know there stuff arrived at stromlo around 10.30am to find a cool wind but mostly sunny weather. I had never been to stromlo before but can see myself heading back very soon. Spent 4 hours on the frontside of the mountain just exploring away and having fun. The downhills made up for the switchback climbs to the top ( great for the lungs and legs ). Conditions were dry , hardpack with a fair bit of loose over the top which made for some pretty interesting cornerning at speed. All in all lotsa fun , next time I will head over to the back section and see what it has to offer.

Up reasonably early on Sunday to hit up Majura's single track goodness , dry , dusty , pine needles and roots , multiple line choices , was disappointed to only spend 2 hours there before heading home. Didn't stop to take any pics ..... was having to much fun.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Wicked. Hell of a way to drive though!!!

Scott is a tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by eckstar
    Wife and son were away so theat meant some quality ride time. Decided to escape Sydney as it was being buffeted by some fairly horrendous weather. On the road by 7am destination Canberra. It rained all the way to Goulburn and the skies were very leaden , here I was thinking I am going to drive 280km to ride in the wet that I was trying to escape.Seems like the guys at the BOM know there stuff arrived at stromlo around 10.30am to find a cool wind but mostly sunny weather. I had never been to stromlo before but can see myself heading back very soon. Spent 4 hours on the frontside of the mountain just exploring away and having fun. The downhills made up for the switchback climbs to the top ( great for the lungs and legs ). Conditions were dry , hardpack with a fair bit of loose over the top which made for some pretty interesting cornerning at speed. All in all lotsa fun , next time I will head over to the back section and see what it has to offer.

Up reasonably early on Sunday to hit up Majura's single track goodness , dry , dusty , pine needles and roots , multiple line choices , was disappointed to only spend 2 hours there before heading home. Didn't stop to take any pics ..... was having to much fun.
    After going to Stromlo last weekend for the World Cup i'm hanging to get my bike up there. I'm longing for something different to Melbourne's offerings.

mtbr member
    Rode the Angry Doctor. First 100km event. The course was great. Organisation was excellent. I had a fantastic time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Likewise Waldog , had my fill of Nth beaches ( sydney ) riding and the opportunity was too good to pass up.

ILMP , I had to get my fix , as other than commuting I will be off the bike for the next few weekends

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by eckstar
    ILMP , I had to get my fix , as other than commuting I will be off the bike for the next few weekends
    I'm hearing ya

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did a 2hr cruse of the yarra trails on sunday, things have dried out nicely, although pretty rutted...

http://blog.potofgrass.com/?p=193

Got into a bit of climbing this morning with one of the posse. Note to self - 2.0 Kenda Karmas have little traction in the gravelly stuff.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Checked out Wombat Track yesterday, wet wet wet. Not so much muddy but deep puddles around every corner and on every dip in the track. Best to leave Wombat alone for a few weeks yet.

fan of maple syrup
    Wombat Track as in Wombat State Forest near Woodend? Or Wombat Track as in some name given to one of the tracks out at St A? Cos I was thinking of going to the former of those this weekend ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wombat Track near Woodend. If you like riding fast through mucky puddles and getting soaked go for it, otherwise it's a slow ride, as soon as you've built up some speed it's back on the brakes for the next puddle. I didn't really enjoy it and it's not doing the track any good either.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Scariest ride of my life last night. Rigid XC bike on DH VIC park night trails. Group of seven though which was cool.

Nearly stacking catastrophically twice I should know better by now.. you would think

More in da BlOg.

http://www.mountainbikingnewzealand....ls-rigid-ouch/

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat
    Wombat Track near Woodend. If you like riding fast through mucky puddles and getting soaked go for it, otherwise it's a slow ride, as soon as you've built up some speed it's back on the brakes for the next puddle. I didn't really enjoy it and it's not doing the track any good either.
    Thanks for that - saved us from a long trip for nothing. Called Woodend Cycles and they reckon they need to do a lot of work out there. Will be into summer before they're OK.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Today was one of those days…. one that refreshed my memory to why we moved here last November. Blue skies- warm breezes and dry trails calling. Summer seems to be here

With a shorter 70mm stem to speed up the handling (vs the 90mm) and the trusty Speicialized Eskar upfront with a new Larson TT on the back the Cove was ready to roll

Craig and I headed to the Hills with the aim of riding to Godley Head and taking it a little easy due to this being Craigs first “real” mountain bike ride since May due to a really bad ankle injury. Half way up Rapaki he was really feeling it…. but after not riding outside of the gym and indoor trainer.. all of the extra body movement adds up. I never caught him on any of the other non technical climbs today so he got into the groove pretty quickly

At the bottom of the Greenwood track (wow that trail is fast and dry!) we bumped into Tama and two other chaps basking in the sunshine. We were actually going to join Tama this morning but due to leaving later than planned we could not head off at the same time. Tama runs the NZ online forum Vorb- and we discovered that he was running a live photo thread of the days ride from his mobile phone…. how cool is that?!!

The last trail into Godley was off the hook especially with Tamas mate from Wellington hot on my heels….. getting air off rocks with a XC fork was a warning sign that I needed to dab on the brakes a little more at this point

The new stem length on the Cove was absolutely fantastic today- I was actually in control of the bike today rather than the bike being in control of me. What brought on the change of stem exactly? Well, I’ve felt for a while that the front end was very slow to respond on technical stuff and after spending most of the winter on the GT and recently the Lynskey- the cockpit was just to stretched out and slow upfront too when I got back onto it. Today it was absolutely dialed… and the summer tread absolutely flew too! I’d heard that the Larsons were a fast rolling but grippy tyre…. and that is not wrong… what a bloody brilliant rear tyre it is. Having some more pedal clearance too was also VERY nice compared to the old school XC vibe of the Lynsley. I just don’t think the Lynskey is cut out for the Hills…..to be honest

All the tracks were pretty much dry with the Anaconda having the worst ruts and wet patches. Hopefully the next working bee will fix this…. and I’m happy to help out too. What a F**kin brilliant ride it was today and nice to spend it with some really good company too.

Craig

Chatting with walkers.

Blue Skies!

Me and some rocks.

Chilling.

Tama sat in sheep shite- yes very funny- esp when he had to rub his ass on teh ground like a dog to get it off!

Rigid- slow- in pain- crazy. Tama

Ocean views.

Brill day in teh hills
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 09-15-2008 at 04:57 PM.

I am right!
    Nice ride as usual ILP

Took some newbies out to Lysterfield today and rode the Ventana El Comandante which is residing with me for the rest of the year while the owner is off up north feeding the chooks.

This bike is amazing! My teeth felt like they might be coming out on a few fast descents, but the Ti Jones/Moots support helps....those big wheels fly over rocks and logs.

The Butt Pirate sailing the seas of cheese

Good to see the shop open out there in the old education centre (where will the nerds now gather to ponder the results of owl surveys) where any spare you might need was available (other than a 29" tube!) as well as coffee and snacks...

melon farmer
    aaargh! the butt pirate rides again!

cheese is a kind of meat.

I almost miss lysterfield when i look at that pic.

check vid below for all the radness from JD and Piker's trip to Canberra for the World Cup.

<object width="400" height="300"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1728778&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1728778&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/1728778?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728778">JD pursued by the butt pirate at majura</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user251166?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728778">marcus pickle</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728778">Vimeo</a>.

<object width="400" height="300"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1728894&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1728894&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/1728894?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728894">butt pirate at stromlo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user251166?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728894">marcus pickle</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728894">Vimeo</a>.

<object width="400" height="300"> <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /> <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1728961&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /> <embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1728961&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://vimeo.com/1728961?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728961">Peaty at stromlo</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user251166?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728961">marcus pickle</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com?pg=embed&amp;sec=1728961">Vimeo</a>.
    Last edited by marcus_dukakis; 09-14-2008 at 04:19 AM.

I am right!
    i think plans are afoot to make Lysterfield the MTB centre of the universe.

Quite a few folks out there with kids today, which is good to see. The place is perfect for giving people a taste of MTB.

Scott is a tool.
    Hit up the trails at Clarkes Road in sunny Gippsland. Lotsa climbing, but so real sweet downs that make the climb worth it.

Wal.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Piker
    The place is perfect for giving people a taste of MTB.
    A soggy, wet & muddy taste - with hints of rut and an aftertaste that lacks any true flow

Sorry - I'm very anti-Lysty these days. To anyone who's never seen singletrack it would seem pretty spesh I guess.

A few mates and I headed out to St A on the weekend. Thanks to Cowpat's directions we had 4.5hrs and 40km of fun. Was completely shattered afterward.

Props to the owners of the Gen Store for lending a helmet to my mate who forgot his.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered
    A soggy, wet & muddy taste - with hints of rut and an aftertaste that lacks any true flow

Sorry - I'm very anti-Lysty these days. To anyone who's never seen singletrack it would seem pretty spesh I guess.
    I guess thats a fair summation of the whole lysty affair, but things will change.
    It's a great venue for the new comer and offers quite a bit to many XC/Enduro riders.

It's true that the current arrangements are due for a shake up, but let the boys and girls get started.

As for soggy and wet, well it is winter and Lysty doesnt have much sand content so you have to expect some water and mud, and therefore some ruts too.

I am right!
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedray
    As for soggy and wet, well it is winter and Lysty doesnt have much sand content so you have to expect some water and mud, and therefore some ruts too.
    Thanks SSRay, not a drop of water and no mud out there today. Well dried out over the last week or so i'd say. Ruts a plenty and those logs, someone needs to put all the little ones into big piles, get some flow on....

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    wicked shot piker. wicked vids marcus_dukakis.

ah lysty... it ain't that bad- try it on a rigid winter hacker single speed and stop ya winging - perfect!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    "Cowpat's directions" + " we had 4.5hrs and 40km of fun." + " Was completely shattered afterward."

Nuclear - sounds like you did Yarra Ridge?

Did the NZO 12hr in Western Sydney. Team of 4. Did six laps and it was great. Got up to a sweltering 32 degrees which was a shock after Melbourne weather but settled down into a beautiful balmy night - my last lap was quickest which says a lot about the heat effect. Took both the SIR9 and the SS and lapped consistantly around 35mins which was a suprise as the course was very rocky and rough in parts

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Took both the SIR9 and the SS...
    Isn't your Sir9 an SS? Or did you mean SL? Or do you have another SS lurking somewhere?

In any case, sounds like you had a great event. The last night photo looks like it was a pretty cool setup.

And yes - YR. But we pseudo-cheated. Some friends didn't have enough time to do YR so we did about 28km around the regular trails, then drove over to Skyline Rd (I think) parked and rode around following Cowpats directions. Totaled 42km actually. Still shattered.

P.S. In answer to your question from a while ago about putting comments between photos - the way to do that requires having somewhere to host your photos (a web server), then you just use the little 'insert image' button to put in an image tag. Can explain better if you like. I think using the MTBR attachment setup means you can't do this but I'm not sure.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Typo. SS and SL.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    nice one hudmeister. 32 would have been a tad warm!! fuk that so early on in the season :/

nice pics too. interesting your times were no different on the SS vc geared eh
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 09-15-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nice ride as usual ILP

Took some newbies out to Lysterfield today and rode the Ventana El Comandante which is residing with me for the rest of the year while the owner is off up north feeding the chooks.

This bike is amazing! My teeth felt like they might be coming out on a few fast descents, but the Ti Jones/Moots support helps....those big wheels fly over rocks and logs.

The Butt Pirate sailing the seas of cheese

Good to see the shop open out there in the old education centre (where will the nerds now gather to ponder the results of owl surveys) where any spare you might need was available (other than a 29" tube!) as well as coffee and snacks...
    Nice one Piker, Never attempted that spot yet on the SIR, only because it has always been night/wet. So there is a cafe at lysterfield? Wherabouts?

I am right!
    Nice one Piker, Never attempted that spot yet on the SIR, only because it has always been night/wet. So there is a cafe at lysterfield? Wherabouts?
    Yep, Rob (ex BSC and Bike Now) is running a bike shop, with workshop etc in the middle of the car park/bbq area on the side of the lake. They have a cafe too...used to be the education centre i think? Think there are some plans afoot to do some trail works too.....

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Yep, Rob (ex BSC and Bike Now) is running a bike shop, with workshop etc in the middle of the car park/bbq area on the side of the lake. They have a cafe too...used to be the education centre i think? Think there are some plans afoot to do some trail works too.....

that' s a cool idea. he will make a mint selling to the weekend crowds!!! cafe is nice too after a ride!

when i visit- lysty is on my radar for a spin- no worries. hopefully by then there will be other trails too.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    The cafe is called TrailMix, rode past on Sunday arvo, pretty well stocked for a little shop in the middle of nowhere. Will do well over summer... so he's ex BSC and Bike Now, would explain why it looked like they knew what they were doing... brilliant. I think they had rental bikes too in case anyone knows someone wanting to hire one during their travels.

mtbr member
    Got an awesome ride in between classes yesterday. I only had an hour and a half so I knew I would be pushing it to do my roughly 35km Heidelberg loop, especially in school uniform and shoes without any food or water and on my singlespeed! I'm no sure what it was but I absolutely flew through the ride in an hour and a quarter, my best time ever by a long shot. The weather was perfect as well.

Time to start keeping an eye out for snakes though. I rode right past one without noticing when I was out there for a ride with a friend the other day.

Looking forward to getting my Gt peace though as my currant singlespeed has been kinda thrashed. Just waiting for the 09's to come in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Lysty on Saturday.....

Hey, heading out for a ride at Lysterfield Saturday morning, i know it has coped some flak on here lately, but i'm desperate to get a ride in, its within 1/2 hour of my place and anything is better than riding paved bike tracks around here.

If anyone's keen to hook up for a ride I'll be at the hallam nth carpark at 8.30am. Nothing too serious (long winter with not much time on the bike). Maybe a few laps of the park, while avoiding most of the games track.

Let me know if anyones keen.

Cheers

Snapper

Butt Pirate

LOVE THAT BIKE MATE,

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by woody45

Looking forward to getting my Gt peace though as my currant singlespeed has been kinda thrashed. Just waiting for the 09's to come in.
    Nice! 26" or 29"? I love my 26" great bike for teh cash

mtbr member
    I'll go for the 26 for sure. A lot of what I like about my currant ss, especially because I never ride it for much over 2 hours, is the almost bmx feel of it, and the lightness, so I'll go for a medium 26 inch. My i-drive is large which is good for long rides but not for the shorter ones I don't think. The new Peace's are a bit more expensive than the 2008 ones unfortunately but apparently they are a bit lighter and with sliding dropout which I like the sound of.

Also tire availability, I know they are around but I have never actually seen 29'er tires in a store, and in a few years, if the craze passes it could be down to cyclecross tires.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by woody45
    I'll go for the 26 for sure. A lot of what I like about my currant ss, especially because I never ride it for much over 2 hours, is the almost bmx feel of it, and the lightness, so I'll go for a medium 26 inch. My i-drive is large which is good for long rides but not for the shorter ones I don't think. The new Peace's are a bit more expensive than the 2008 ones unfortunately but apparently they are a bit lighter and with sliding dropout which I like the sound of.

Also tire availability, I know they are around but I have never actually seen 29'er tires in a store, and in a few years, if the craze passes it could be down to cyclecross tires.
    I love my 26" - i'm glad i never got the 29" as for sliding drop outs for 2009... that's really cool!

Enjoy it

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    A group of us planned a trip out of teh city/ hills today that never quite happened So a bit of a solo epic today 4+ hrs and a head wind and climbs to make my legs like jelly and some quality time to take some piccys From Rapaki i headed to the new trails built into the existing trails called the Flying Nun past the sign of the kiwi-on the side of the hills a rarely visit.

I walked a few bits as it was the first time on the trail- rode some- photographed some I'm sure i'll be back. Kind of reminded me of the You Yangs in parts due to sandy dry tracks and rocks -but without the flys or snakes

Boy am i knackered tonight!
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 09-20-2008 at 01:27 AM.

I am right!
    Nice fresh trails. Looks like Scotland with all that Gorse! You don't want to head off trail into that stuff.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Nice fresh trails. Looks like Scotland with all that Gorse! You don't want to head off trail into that stuff.
    Yeah that Gorse is nasty stuff. There is way more on this side of the hill though.

Here is a view of the city with a fair bit of that stuff! Notice the snow capped mountains in the distance? Brill!

trail fairy
    Nice looking back drop of Lyttleton harbour stunning views LMP, the tracks there look awesome too, nice techy South Island stuff

Will have to get the RFX down that way next year
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Damn Ive gotta get to NZ.

I had a 90 min club race on Sunday. First one i've done since Feb. It was held at Brick Kiln Reserve outside of Wagga which is a flat river side reserve. It might be flat but we use motorbike jumps and berms which make for an interesting track.

I finished 3rd with a total of 11 laps, 1 lap behind 1st & 2nd. The best part of my race was the fact that the difference between my fastest and slowest lap was 25 seconds. Im never that consistant.

Now back to training for the Fling.

Hud
    Singletrack minded

Thought I'd jump on this auto-timer bandwagon...

Riding at Silvan. I've put all of them up for a laugh. You can see how there was a slight improvement as time went by.
    Hafta say I enjoyed the ride mightily. For a change I went on some old singletracks that I havn't ridden for years to find all the logs were gone. The new trails are bedding in nicely too.
    Definately an MTBR ride to be done here sometime.
    Also: I will never ride without Endura again, not a huge ride but my legs are killing me, which hasn't happened since the Otway Odyssey...

EDIT: Will be doing something about getting my pics on a server. Hate the horizontal layout.

Scott is a tool.

Mid-week sesh...

Had the day off today so a mate and I headed down the highway to Forrest. That place is amazing, still so many trails i haven't ridden there yet.

Todays highlight was slogging through "Follow the dog". It was covered in debris and very slippery, but having said that it was a blast!!!! Supreme berms, great kickers, and just soooooo much flow!!!

Great day!!

Wal.

P.S. sorry no pics.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Good photos hud.

Today i did something a little different. An hour on the Avon river in a kayak with Craig which was scary as hell!! and then off to Bottle lake for a spin on the SS Peace. Boy does it fly with summer tread on it!!

Fantastic chasing the increasing daylight

trail fairy
    Good photos hud.

Today i did something a little different. An hour on the Avon river in a kayak with Craig which was scary as hell!! and then off to Bottle lake for a spin on the SS Peace. Boy does it fly with summer tread on it!!

Fantastic chasing the increasing daylight

Ah love the Avon have fond memories from child hood of skinny dipping there and driving my ma crazy!

Looks good LMP yer piccs always make me homesick for the South Island

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

fan of maple syrup
    Riding at Silvan. I've put all of them up for a laugh. You can see how there was a slight improvement as time went by.
    Reminds me of that trip to the Youies ... "Nah, sorry ... missed it. You'll need to do it again"

Looks nice out there though - Give me enough notice and I'll ride out there with ya for sure.

EDIT: Will be doing something about getting my pics on a server. Hate the horizontal layout.
    They appear vertical to me ... strange. If you need any help with the server stuff shoot me a PM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Ah love the Avon have fond memories from child hood of skinny dipping there and driving my ma crazy!

Looks good LMP yer piccs always make me homesick for the South Island

Well i'll catch up with you during summer up north maybe so you can show me some of the norths trails!

trail fairy

Well i'll catch up with you during summer up north maybe so you can show me some of the norths trails!

Definitley, for sure let me know and well hook up for sure! and always welcome here @ the pondarosa to stay have spare room and spare bike just bring yua gear course I know you'll want to bring ya Cove it will be a blast here and in Rotovegas

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    ILMP I'm coming over around Christmas. Want to ride Port Hills, the gorse trails, Everything!

N_P are you saying my pics are running down the page, not across?

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    ILMP I'm coming over around Christmas. Want to ride Port Hills, the gorse trails, Everything!

Sweet mate. Let me know some dates mate and I'll be your guide!

Wicked!

Yesterday i did something a little different again.... I took part in the Inaugural Alley Cat ride in the city. The aim was to ride around the city as fast as possible collecting items such as a flier from a well known massage parlor , a photo of yourself by a land mark taken by a passer by etc... and then check it off a list. I just tagged along with two guys for a laugh.

It was alot of fun and a freaking great work out too chasing everyone who were of course on single speed fixies or at least skinny tyres. I'll be there for the next one for sure as it was alot of fun running red lights, breaking all laws known to man and taking photos at speed while weaving through traffic.... at sunset of course. haha.

I've also been considering a SS road bike for commuting duties for some time now......but i still think i'll stay with muted colours and brakes as those fixies are a little posey for my liking

Here are a few pics.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Definitley, for sure let me know and well hook up for sure! and always welcome here @ the pondarosa to stay have spare room and spare bike just bring yua gear course I know you'll want to bring ya Cove it will be a blast here and in Rotovegas
    Thanks mate I'll take you up on your kind offer! See you sometime this summer!!

KoOL

trail fairy
    Thanks mate I'll take you up on your kind offer! See you sometime this summer!!

KoOL
    Awesome no probs, look fwd to it

chur bo

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Did another ride at Silvan friday arvo with H_Bro. This area is low speed tech riding - quite challenging, there are a few bits I can't clean yet.
    Late in the day so the pics aren't great.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Sweet pics.

Yesterday Craig and I headed up the hills - this time Vic Park up and across into Sumner.

We generally mucked around and wasted a good 5 hrs I took the Garmin too- which was a first since the summer. Close to 1850M elevation and 1900M descending

Here is a little pitch in Vic Park. To climb it your chest has to be on the bars. The middle then has a little more incline.... 3 attempts and no go. Fun trying though

Maybe a dually would have coped better?

Craig and the "upper half" of track.

Attempt 1 FAIL

Attempt 2 FAIL

Attempt 3 FAIL

Captain Thomas Track. 80% hell. the last 20% heaven. Graffiti reads "its not technical it's just ****ED.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Pffft. Looks pretty flat to me.

fan of maple syrup
    Did Heid -> PR trail & back with Waldog yesterday before the GF (sad, sad loss to the Cats, but it was good to see Crawford get a flag before he retires). Trails along the Yarra are already super dry. Given they're predicting a dry spring, It's going to be a dusty summer along there methinks.
    Roger that - they are indeed running down the page - always have. Might have something to do with forum preferences - I have mine set to display threads linear - oldest first.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMP
    I've also been considering a SS road bike for commuting duties for some time now......but i still think i'll stay with muted colours and brakes as those fixies are a little posey for my liking
    You wanna see colourful fixies & commuter rigs, check out: http://www.fyxomatosis.com

(particuarly interesting is his "random women posing on my fixie" gallery: http://www.fyxomatosis.com/gallery.php?gal=4)
    Last edited by nuclear_powered; 09-28-2008 at 12:28 AM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Pffft. Looks pretty flat to me.
    Yeah it is *shifty eyes*

Today was spent cruising around the city with my Wife, eating, exploring and chilling in parks and outdoor seating in the sun at cafes etc.

A highlight had to be a Vegi Mexican Pizza in the park (YUUUMMM!)

And a lunatic car

Messing about (and teaching Amy some bad habits such as riding on pavement if its a one way street )

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great pics everyone , I am normally on a mission to get my riding done then get back home for family duties so I almost never stop to take pics.
    2 early laps around the dam yesterday morning before the heat and wind got up. The warm weather of late has certainly helped the track , probably in the best condition it has been all year , fingers crossed it stays that way.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    - - -
    Last edited by Hud; 09-29-2008 at 12:55 PM.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    - - -
    Why did ya delete?

As for the Chris Kings.... i don't even hear mine anymore.... try riding with a group running HOPE2's ...now they are noisy bast*rds! The Kings are far more refined

I don't think i could live without the engagement of the Kings in the rocks now though..... anything else seems odd and I fail.

My SS runs a set of Bonty hubs and rims and they are near silent. Now I have the Cross marks on for summer (not in the hills mind you) its like i'm a ninja out there *shifty eyes*

Talking of crossmarks.... anyone seen the new 2.4's yet? I'd love a set of those on the trails bike for summer!

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5