some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008

well finally made it to Canberra

Like the title said I finally made it to Canberra and will be looking to ride this weekend. Anyone out there willing to show a new guy some of the trails? I live in the Bruce area so it would be nice to find a place close to home to ride first.

I am looking to anything single track and I am sure I will be making it to Stromlo Mountain quite a bit once I have had more time to settle in.

Let me know....

Thanks

Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey dan,

There are a number of trails at Bruce Ridge no more than a couple of kilometres from your house. It's pretty cool. Stromlo rips of course!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    I am looking to anything single track ...
    If you only ride single track you will miss out on the best of the best that this region has to offer ... unless several sterile pine plantations do it for you?

The Western Slopes of Stromlo are very good. There are some nasty fire trails out on the back of Stromlo and they're well worth a look. If you are a Trials Rider then don't overlook Black Snake Gully. Black Snake Gully is supposed to be a double black diamond single track... or triple or quadruple black diamond or even far worse?

Crossing the Brindies or riding the length of the Brindies south from Mount Franklin, will make you an Honorary Territorian.

... or going into the Blue Waterholes through Yaouk, then up the Lone Pine FT, camping at Oldfields Hut, Pockets Hut or Coolaman Homestead is a great ride.

Along the BNT through the Naas Valley and return on the old Grassy Creek Fire Trail and then Old Boboyan Road. A top ride with good camping, plenty of water and several huts to choose from.

Or along the Bullen Range.

Or through the Tinderries ... length ways.

... or over Gelignite Crossing out on the Western Slopes of Googong Dam, on the Queanbeyan River Fire Trail.

Riding to Wee Jasper on Mountain Creek Road then Sawyers Gully Road and returning on Cavan Road, magic. Or from Wee jasper into the Nottingham Hills and finding an easy away back to Canberra, through the Berami Wilderness, good luck.

It is good riding on the fringe of the suburbs ... think about riding on the levee bank and back track circumnavigating Coolamon Ridge, right next to the suburbs of Western Creek. Awesome views of the Brindies and overlooking the City, not far from Stromlo.

Canberra's Nature Parks basically all have good rides. Here you will have dual single track like in Karma Nature Reserve. Karma is a new Reserve, not far from Bruce.

From Bruce you can get onto the BNT at Cook (at Little Black Mountain) to Holt and then scoot to Woodstock Nature Reserve. You can ride down to the river through Woodstock but I find it is a good walk back uphill.

List of the Nature Parks ... Territory and Municipal Services - Canberra Nature Parks Maps

A few more shots from around here and along the Murrumbidgee ... Pictures by WildWassa - Photobucket

... and catch up with the 'Wicked Rides' site too. An excellent site for endurance off-road tourers with some wicked rides.

I hope this helps.

Warren.

PS, Riding in Goorooyaroo and Mulligans Flat Nature Reserves, they are joined together, is first class. Lots of wildlife. All of the Border Track, in Mulligans Flat is good, too. On the trunk road in Goorooyaroo NR you can get to near terminal velocity. There is the Old Historic Coach Road plus the smoothest dirt road in Australia is in Mulligns Flat.

Good luck and enjoy exploring the region.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.