mtbr member

Visiting Canberra

I will be in Canberra in a couple weeks for a work-related conference. If i were to add a day onto my trip are there any trails in the city area worth riding? I'd also need info on a shop where i can rent a decent bike (HT is fine).
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

nothing to see here
    http://ridecanberra.com.au/ is a good starting point. The riding around Canberra will blow your mind. If you only have one day, then Stromlo must be at the top of the list, within 20mins drive of the city centre. For more variety, you could ride Majura Pines in the morning and then Stromlo in the arvo. They're on opposite sides of the city.

The above website has info on rentals also.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. hope i can swing either a free day during my trip or maybe extend a day on my own dime in order to get in a ride. Stromlo looks like a lot of fun. Not sure if i will have access to a car while there. How would a cabbie feel about shoving a bike in the trunk?
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

nothing to see here
    Maybe ask one of the hire shops for tips on getting out there. It's not that far from the city centre, about 15kms I think. You could ride there if other options fell through.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Have a chat to Pete from Capital city bike hire - http://www.capitalbicyclehire.com.au/ - let him know that AB sent you (he'll say who the feck is that...). He's a good guy and can set you up with a reasonable bike. He may even be able to drop you off and pick you up.