mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Vaccation in New Zealand what to do

Long story short I was going to visit a friend in Nelson...he got a job offer in Auckland and moved. I'm still flying into Nelson, but I'm only going to be in NZ for two weeks. Here's my dilemma do I bring a mountain bike and chill in the Nelson area for two weeks. Is there enough to keep me entertained? Do I need a car to get to the riding. Or do I bring my touring bike and check out some of the country.

The only other caveats are that I'm coming the first week of September, which I realize is early spring. The other being my buddy is meeting me in Nelson for the weekend which is basically in the middle of my trip, meaning if I do a bike tour it can only be about a week long... Any thoughts, or suggestions on where or what to ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    In short - Yes!

If you have access to a car you can get to do some amazing riding all around the top third or half of the South Island - off-road riding that is. I have not ridden there myself for various reasons, but have had to endure lots of stories from those that have. Look up the name 'Peaking Ridge' - it is behind Nelson - there's bound to be some info about it. Other ideas - Craigieburn, Hanmer Springs various other West Coast spots. Marlborough sounds - Queen Charlotte walkway.

You could also contemplate getting yourself to Rotorua for your second week. Home to the 2010 world singlespeed champs in october. And thay may have a trail or two to amuse you

x/o
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you can make it to the redwood forest of Rotorua, then definitely go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What type of riding are you after? There are a couple of tracks in the Blenheim area worth doing (Wakamarina-single track, Queen Charlotte-single track, up to 2 to 3 days, and Whites Bay-short downhill track) You can hire hardtail bikes in Picton for the QC track, and get the mail boat to drop you off at particular points, depending on how much time you have to ride.

Kaiteriteri just out of Nelson has a few tracks, and there are a few around the Takaka area worth a look.

I'd meet up and keep you company, but due to my pathetic fitness and skill level at present, I'd be better walking

The Kennet Brothers book is well worth the investment, especially if you plan on future trips over.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the info! I am going in North Island in February for two weeks of hiking and biking. I hear Rotorua is the place for mtb. I love that I can ride in California Redwoods - it will feel like home! Is it worth more than a few days there?
    Is there anything on the Coromundel Peninsula (sorry for the spelling ) for road or mtb? I thought so but haven't found a good site for it yet. I will be renting where ever I go...

x/o
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    I personally can spend a whole weekend at Rotorua. They have a national downhill track if you're into that thing and lots of great XC trails (the single speed world champs are held here in oct).

If you do go, no matter what kind of rider you are, please do Split Enz, it's my fav trail =)

http://www.riderotorua.com/

edit: oh and don't forget its very humid and wet here. bring the right kind of lube etc as chains and things will rust quicker in our weather. rotorua gets sloppy in the rain but almost never to the point of being un-rideable so don't worry if when you get here it's raining, go out and embrace the slop

Cycling, FTW!!

South Island in December

I'll be staying in Queenstown at the beginning of December and I am looking for some nice single track that doesn't get much use.

I will also have time to travel around the rest of the country so are there any other spots besides Rotorua that I need to check out for XC riding? I've been thinking about riding the Lake Taupo solo challenge on November 27th, is that a fun track to ride or is it a lot of 4x4 roads?
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Mr Juddy
    Aug 2010
    As a resident of Nelson I would suggest you bring your bike to Nelson. You will love the wide variety of trails in and around Nelson and there will most likely be people to take you riding. From trails like Coppermine Saddle, R & R Rush, Scottwood Wiggles, Lancewood Waggles, Peaking Ridge there are heaps of options and our spring weather is fairly mild. Some trails start 3kms for Nelson and others are about 5 or 6kms out of town. It may also be possible to take a trip to ride the Rameka trail on the way to Golden Bay, plus the other trails around the carpark at Harwoods Hole.
    PM me and we can see what can be organised for you. Cheers.