mtbr member
    Dec 2005

tubeless tyres recommendation?

Hi, I'm about to get some tubeless tyres and was hoping to get some recommendations from someone local rather than the yanks etc. I live in melbourne, and ride mainly yarra trails, westerfolds and head up to st andrews every now and then.

any recommendations much appreciated, also what pressure you run the tyres at. cheers

mtbr member
    Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron or Crossmark on the rear, Racing Ralph, Nobby Nic or Ignitor front, I run 20-25 psi (F-R)

mtbr member
    My new bike (Giant Trance X1) came with Kenda Nevegal USTs as stock.

I ran a non-UST Nevegal on the front of my old hard tail and really hated it (I found it very unpredictable - sometimes it'd grip, and sometimes I'd wind up on my face with a washout), so it was the one aspect of the Trance's kit that I didn't like and planned to replace soon.

However, for whatever reason, they are actually very good in UST form on the Trance. I have been running them at about 35psi which felt great. Ran them at 30psi on the weekend and burped the front on a big and badly landed drop, so planning to go back to 35psi.

nothing to see here
    Riding those trails I'd think you'd want something that rolls well. Try the racing ralphs, some sizes come as tubeless ready now.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Racing Ralphs are perfect for those trails, but they can be pricey compared to Maxxis or even Continental. My Mountain in Brunswick had the Ralphs for a pretty good price and they look like they still do on their online store

http://www.mymountain.com.au/p/88675...ralph-ust.html

Crossmarks can be ok as well if you like a bit more slide in your tyres and can be had a fair bit cheaper, usually they are on sale quite a bit. Maxxis also has Rendez which I dont mind as a front tyre, Larsen is a good old school back tyre that rolls fast but gives a bit more grip, Ignitors are decent front tyre for grip, but can roll a bit slow IMO

It can depend on your bike setup as well, hardtail you may want something with a slightly bigger width. I have been riding a hardtail recently with a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent on the front and it adds quite a bit to the descending capability of the bike

For pressures I would sit at between 25-30psi depending on how loose the top surface is, yarra trails you would go closer to 30psi

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Benizmo
    Maxxis also has Rendez which I dont mind as a front tyre,
    Rendez front / crossmark back would probably keep you out of trouble. Thats what i am running on my Trance X1. I like the rendez. Very much like the crossmark but with a bit more grip. I think the ignitor is more of an all mtn tyre like the kenda nevegal which came stock on the trance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I run racing ralph and rocket rons on the yarra trails front and back, but they arent cheap and they do wear quite quickly on some of the rockier areas. Great tyres though. I have been thinking of trying the continental race kings which someone else was raving on about.

In terms of tubeless, I'm going to do that soon I think, but as far as I understand, they can put up with small punctures more easily than inner tubes, sealing around nails/thorns etc. they are marginally lighter (? someone correct me).
    But if you get a bigger tear then you are stuffed, whereas one with an inner tube may be repairable on the trail.
    Anyone else got anything to add to that summary/change? (as I say this is just what I've read rather than experienced!)
    For some australian travel stories... www.tomandcath.com