mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Tryes, Victorias dry months

heyas, just wondering what tyres you guys use in the dry months? like at lysterfield or forrest or something along those lines on the trails.

i am using tubeless kenda nevegals currently in the mud and they are awesome so i have found my winter tyre. just curious what yous would use in the summer? something fast and grippy is what im after

thanks guys

fan of maple syrup
    My prediction is that your replies will contain a lot of Racing Ralphs and some Furious Freds from Schwalbe, Crossmark & Larsen from Maxxis, and Small block 8's from Kenda. They seem to be the popular dry weather tyres for loose/sandy/gravelly over hardpack.

Personally - I'm lazy and can't be bothered changing tyres between seasons, let alone between wet/dry periods or even different locations which I've read some folk do. I ran Ardents for the past 18 months from wet sloppy winter to dry-as-a-bone summer. Probably not as grippy in the dry as the Crossmark/Larsen type pattern, but I still push it pretty hard and don't seem to crash or anything, and find myself at the pointy end of any descents or sprints. Climbs are a different story, but that's got zero to do with tyres in my case.

nothing to see here
    Ralphs here
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by LoZzA199
    heyas, just wondering what tyres you guys use in the dry months? like at lysterfield or forrest or something along those lines on the trails.

i am using tubeless kenda nevegals currently in the mud and they are awesome so i have found my winter tyre. just curious what yous would use in the summer? something fast and grippy is what im after

thanks guys
    Michelin XCR Dry II UST - faster then RRs, hook up very well in most conditions.

Only in 2.0 size, so tyre pressure needs a little more thought.

Blade-like, low profile tread pattern.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Maxxis Ignitors 2.35, 2.1. Seem to work well year round at Lysterfield.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Ralphs here too. But if I was to try anything else, it would be a Conti of some description. But if you want the best of every world and can afford them, it's just Ralphs.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

Scott is a tool.
    I've been running Schwalbe Nobby Nics for the dryer trails over here, prob more than i needed, but i wanted to try them. In all honesty i haven't found much more grip than the Maxxis Ardents that i know and love.

I'm really keen to try the Maxxis Aspen.

At the end of the day though tyres are such a personal thing, i love nearly everything with Maxxis written on the side., but don't take that as me not thinking that there aren't other good tyres out there, it's just that they work for me.

Not sure if any of that helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Tubeless, Ralph 2.2 on the front and Race King Protection 2.2 on the rear.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    You running the snakeskin up front Casper? Successful?

Yes forgot about the Aspen. Another I'd like to try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ive seen the maxxis rendez mentioned a few times as being a good front tyre. People say better/more predictable then the Larsen. Guy at LBS runs the Rendez/Crossmark combo and seems to recommend it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    You running the snakeskin up front Casper? Successful?
    No just the normal Evo one. I don't seem to have any trouble with the sidewalls on the front.

nothing to see here
    Got a small cut in the sidewall on my front 2.4 evo Ralph. Not big enough to be of concern though.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Mug Punter
    Jun 2008
    Rendez / Ignitor / Larsen front, Larsen / Crossmark rear.

Will be experimenting with a Ardent / Crossmark combo shortly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Ardent is the most underated tyre out there! Super versatile, rolls well and plenty of grip. On my 5 inch dually I run a 2.25 ardent front and a 2.1 crossmark rear. Great combo.....for me

Scott is a tool.
    Crossmark is another underated tyre, it has such a reputation of being a race only tyre, but other than in sticky mud, i think it's a pretty decent allrounder. Would be keen to try the 2.25 at some stage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Schallbe 'Rocket Ron' Evo I find to be a great year round option as a rear tyre on my 96er hardtail. I've scrubbed the sidewalls down to the fabric as I run lowish presures but I think the tread will give out B4 the sidewalls cave in. Not the best in the mud and not the quickest in the dry but for a lazy bike person it does its year round duties brilliantly.

Still got the WTB Exiwolf 29" x 2.3 up front. Its' the original tyre the bike came with and just refuses to wear down. A little sketchy on slippery Silvan roots but fast and confident in every other situation. Such an underated tyre!

Stevob has a 29er so Ralphs all round would be my choice there too!

Hud also has a 29er. His frame has less dings and paint chips than any other bike I've seen, so maybe you should take more notice of
    him

Shwallbe are at the higher end of the price spectrum and Maxxis are priced economiclly. Its nice to be spoilt for choice

P.S. I spelt Schallbe/Shwallbe both ways and they both 'look' wrong??!

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    You aint seen my downtube.

No good in rock gardens..
    I like the 2.1 Rendez up front, Monorail up the back - very fast combo in hard conditions, even with a bit of gravelly crap around. Never liked the Monorail up front. Now running a 2.25 Ardent up front, it's not too bad but I reckon the 2.35 single ply High Roller corners better. Currently have a 2.1 Ignitor on the back - it's a bit sucky and is neither fast nor all that grippy. Will probably put either another 2.25 Ardent up the back or a Crossmark.

IMO the Exception Series tyres are too thin in the sidewall if there are sharp rocks - they get cut real easy.

2.1 Nevegal up front, 2.1 Small Block Eight up the back also goes OK. 2.0 Karma goes OK unless it's loose and rocky - the 2.2 Karma is better in the loose stuff, much deeper tread than the 2,0.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....