Maniac
    Jan 2006

Track closures NZ Roroura - redwoods

Hi, will be in NZ Rotoura in Aprilover the Easter break and have read that they are currently logging some trails namely Tickler, Be Rude Not 2, Dragon Tail, Hot Cross Buns were mentioned.

just wondering if any locals have the latest update on the logging activity and what trails may still be effected from around the 19/4 through to 23/4.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Was there a few weeks ago, still plenty of good riding to be had.

http://www.riderotorua.com/

mtbr member
    To ride all there is on offer in Rotorua how long should I stay?
    I've been invited to go over for a long weekend but thinking if I get there I want to try all the trails as I doubt I'll have another chance

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    We go over every year, Red woods trails are great. You can get an idea from UTube - just type in redwoods mtb tracks.

How long depends on how much you can tackle in a day and back it up again. You'll definately want to do some of the trails more than once.

We can get all the trails and make several runs over about 4 days. Thats riding between 50-70km per day.

There are some outback tracks also, so if want to ride these also allow an extra day.

Also worth doing Taulpu, Craters of the Moon only 1.5 hours drive from Rotoura.

mtbr member
    Cheers Dave
    What would be the best time of year to go?

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    We always go Feb/March and have hit it pretty good most years, this also tends to be the shoulder period so travel is cheaper. I think NZ get wet winters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    First off, it's R O T O R U A, and T A U P O.

There are a heap of trails in Rotorua, the ones out of action are only a small block of the forest, and are really just "feeder" trails to the ones higher up in the hills. If you're wanting to maximise the fun per day, there is a good shuttle service which runs from 9am - 12pm, then 1pm - 4pm on weekends. If you choose your route well, a descent can last around 30 minutes at a cruisy pace.

If you're more into XC, there are a heap of options in Rotorua - check out the maps here from one of the better races, the Whaka 100 (Yes, that's pronounced like a naughty F word), with either 25, 50 or 100km versions: http://www.n-duro.co.nz/whaka/evcmaps.php

Taupo is about 80km away, under an hour from central Rotorua. The trails are pumice based, so drain very well in the wet. There aren't any big hills in Taupo either, but lots of small humps - the altitude you do gain climbing is very well used though, with a fair few very flowy descents.

Have fun

Bike's hmmm nice
    Vegas...

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Guys, will be in Woodhill Sat and Sun then going down to Craters of the Moon Monday and Tues then onto Redwoods Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat. This will be my 7th year of going over to NZ for Mt biking, I know Redwoods has heaps on offer but wanted to understand what the logging has impacted? normally use A-trail and tickler to get through to junction.

So-o-o looking forward to riding in NZ again, you don't know how good you've got it in NZ.

Thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No doubt about it we will miss those trails. A-trail, Tickler are very good feeder trails hence nearly always being used in N-Duro races. Combine with Be Rude Not 2 is a great loop.
    Tickler is one of the most scenic trails through the big redwoods.
    Certainly taken the edge off riding there.

mtbr member
    was in rotorua a week or so ago ... the a-trail and a couple of others were closed during the week due to logging operations ...

in the past some tracks that were closed during the week for logging were open again in the weekends, although some had logs/trees across the track or had some form of track damage from the previous week ...

this webpage has latest logging updates: riderotrua logging updates

i spent a bit of time on some of the other tracks, got reaquainted with rosebank and genesis ... hadn't ridden them for quite awhile

did this loop a few times, but rode 'dragon's tail' instead of 'be rude not to'
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for your reply's. Just got home from hol's in NZ. As always loved the trails, you guys have got it good compared to trails here.
    Must confess, first time I've experienced disc brake wear which took out pads in less than 1/2 a day of riding Woodhill and again in Rotorua.

great riding though my 8th year and I'll definately be back for 9th.

Cheers

mtbr member
    how on earth did you manage to wear out the brake pads? i know the volcanic soils can be harsh but in the years i have ridden rotorua, i haven't worn out any pads ...
    although there was the time i came down 'gunna gotta' on my 29er rigid, the brakes got a fair work out and were making some funny noises by the time i got to the bottom ...
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."