mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Tires for Victoria

Hey Guys,

I've just put a deposit on a new Pivot Mach 4 frame and just wondering what tires to run for Vic xc (st andrews, youies, forrest etc...).

I'm going to grab the Easton Havoc wheels (28mm rim) off my Yeti and then build up some Chris Kings with NoTubes Crest rims (24mm rim, I think). Not if rim width makes a difference to what tire with you should choose.

Most people I see running RR. So I'm thinking either of running RR on the back with NN on the front, not sure what size though...

The other option was the new Kenda Slant Six's they look like they could be great.

Then there's the tubed/tubeless question. I'm wanting to go tubeless on the Crests for sure just wondering if it's worth converting the Havoc's for just a couple of months riding?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    sorry about the double post just found this Tryes, Victorias dry months thread.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Considering its a duallie and the rims are 24.4, I'd go Racing Ralph 2.25 F+R with the snakeskin sidewalls. Stans rims and Schwalbes work well as a tubeless setup.
    Wouldn't bother setting up the other wheels tubeless for a few months as there is a bit of fuss (and cost) if you're not doing it yourself.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    awesome, cheers for that. where do you buy yours from?

can't wait to got out riding again, just have to wait until my arm heals. Ihad the metal plates taken out so will be off the bike for another 3-4 weeks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    have you tried the new ralphs? they have a new compound and a tubeless ready bead. I think anyway the schwable website leaves a bit to be desired.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by with_the_band
    awesome, cheers for that. where do you buy yours from?
    IMHO RR's are "appropriate" for a 4-inch dually. They'll be a bit sketchy at the Youies but everywhere else will be fine, if it's not very wet.

I get mine from Wiggle, though they don't seem to have snakeskin in 26-inch. I don't run snakeskin anyway as I only use the RR on the front.

PS: From what I have seen and heard you may find NN front RR rear a more "fun" combination, though I've never run it myself. Which you prefer will depend on your confidence and skill with your new bike.
    Last edited by cowpat; 11-14-2010 at 05:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks cowpat. what do you mean by sketchy at the youies?

is it on rock that it's sketchy or the loose over hard?

the pivot is pretty confidence inspiring, though I did demo it with Nevagals on it, they are amazingly grippy, though quite slow rolling on hardpack.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Croydon Cycleworks and the Cog Cafe have them if you want to go local. Best to ring first.
    BTW a Rocket Ron as an alternative for the front seems to be the go these days. They are a compromise between the Nick and Ralph.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    what do you mean by sketchy at the youies?

is it on rock that it's sketchy or the loose over hard?
    Both loose over hardpack and wet rock.

Re Rocket Rons - I've not run them on my own bike - they do seem to roll well and seem pretty grippy but are super thin and light...you're no heffalump so that shouldn't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    so the Rocket Rons don't suffer from sketchiness as the Ralf's on the loose stuff?

I think for me loosing a bit of rolling speed but gaining some grip (especially cornering) will allow me to be faster overall.

I'm getting tempted to try the slant six's, or maybe just go the Rocket rons front and back.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I think for me loosing a bit of rolling speed but gaining some grip (especially cornering) will allow me to be faster overall.
    That's interesting because I feel I'm better off having faster rolling tyres and being 10% slower through the corners than than vice versa (what you said^^) IMHO you spend more time going 'straight-ish' than cornering hard so you're better off with a quicker tyre. I agree with Cowpat regarding the Youies, though theres plenty of grip there in the damp. That said I find Ralphs front and rear is quite adequate for all my riding. On hardpack and gravel they are great. It really comes down to personal preference as I've done xc rides with Cowpat and he has been running DH specific Maxxis Minions and I've been doing the Ralph thing

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like the feel of corning fast, also I'm trying to teach myself to stay off the brake more.

I'm liking the idea of the Rocket's they sound like they have a good amount of grip but I'm a little concerned about the durability.

The reason I'm thinking of the Slant Six's is that people say they are a lot like the Ralf's but maybe a bit more versatile/grippy. They could be a good match for vic just not sure about the weigh and stans compatibility.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Yeah there a some new tyres coming out that may be good. Just been reading some threads on 'Burn and it looks like Geax may have come out with a winner too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am currently running 2.25 inch Crossmarks on my dually and I am finding them quite good in Vic conditions

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I can lend you a pair of slightly used Ralphs to try out for a few rides once your arm is better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks cowpat but I'd feel a bit bad about trashing your tires.
    if you want to sell them I'd be happy to buy them off you, otherwise I might order me a pair of the snakeskins I really should give the ralphs a go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks cowpat but I'd feel a bit bad about trashing your tires.
    if you want to sell them I'd be happy to buy them off you, otherwise I might order me a pair of the snakeskins I really should give the ralphs a go.
    You'll be fine it's ok. You're not likely to trash them any worse than they already are - one's got a repaired sidewall cut and the other needs to run a tube for some other reason.

mtbr member
    Just a note on the Nevegal's, I've been running them all winter. They are the grippiest tyres I've ever used. Better than the NN's I reckon.

But they are WAY slow, I can feel them slowing me down everywhere I ride. I'd reccomend them to anyone growing in confidence, but I doubt anyone would ever race with them.

I'm about to bust out some Schwarby Ralphs or Hutchi Python's for spring/summer riding.