mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Thanks NZ (I'll be back)

Wow. I just got back from seven weeks in NZ. It is like no other place I have ever ridden. I have been to a lot of mountain biking hot spots around North America and Europe, but nothing can hold a candle to NZ. Every day was miles and miles of single track. And when I got tired of riding single track there was a bike park or some amazing shuttle ride I could find and let gravity do the work.

In the seven weeks i was there I rode over 700 miles, all off road, mostly single track.

Anyway, great country, great people. I can't wait to go back.

To answer some of my questions before I left:

1. Dropper seatpost makes riding more fun. There are so many steep trails that not having a dropper would have limited my trail selection.
    2. Bring the biggest tires you have - I ran 2.4s and I was glad I did as there are ton of very fun, very rock trails in places most Yanks never heard of, like Alex.
    3. Phil at Altitude Adventures is a terrific guide and an amazing downhiller.
    4. Having a car was definitely worth it.
    5. Rotorua Bike Shop: Bike Culture. The guys were great and my Tallboy C felt right at home.
    6. Taupo after rain: no problem, it is actaully much faster because the dust goes away and the soil remains tacky.

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good time! Did you make it to Dunedin in your travels?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great to hear you enjoyed yourself. What was your favourite trail, and area for riding?
    Last edited by kavika; 01-12-2013 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffzx12 View Post
    Glad you had a good time! Did you make it to Dunedin in your travels?
    I did. It was terrific. I can't remember the exact name of the trails (Nicholas creek maybe?). One was a super flowy park with gorgeous trees, redwoods I believe. The other was just down the road from the park - super long switchbacky climb that eventually became a mud pit at the top in early December. Except for the top, that trail was terrific.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kavika View Post
    Great to hear you enjoyed yourself. What was your favourite trail, and area for riding?
    Favorite trail: if Rotorua didn't smell so bad, I would say the Billy T. But it does smell, so I guess my favorite trail was Gold Digger to the Moke Lake loop south of Q town: the scenery, the sheep, quality of trail is pure NZ.

Favorite area: Wanaka. Klutha River to Sticky Forest to Deans Bank and back to Wanaka following the Klutha to the lake trail. It was bliss. I also really enjoyed Eskdale. I was stunned by the views from the top, plus this place gets no press so that I figured it would be average, but average in NZ is world class anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Fantastic! I'm off to ride NIcholls tonight! It's been a bit hotter here so the mud ain't a problem. There's a good ride up Swampy summit (apt name) to ride down it.
    Cheers Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd say you have now officially ridden more trails here than I have! I keep telling myself "this year I'll ride more" so this is motivation to get out and make it happen.