Wow. I just got back from seven weeks in NZ. It is like no other place I have ever ridden. I have been to a lot of mountain biking hot spots around North America and Europe, but nothing can hold a candle to NZ. Every day was miles and miles of single track. And when I got tired of riding single track there was a bike park or some amazing shuttle ride I could find and let gravity do the work.
In the seven weeks i was there I rode over 700 miles, all off road, mostly single track.
Anyway, great country, great people. I can't wait to go back.
To answer some of my questions before I left:
1. Dropper seatpost makes riding more fun. There are so many steep trails that not having a dropper would have limited my trail selection.
2. Bring the biggest tires you have - I ran 2.4s and I was glad I did as there are ton of very fun, very rock trails in places most Yanks never heard of, like Alex.
3. Phil at Altitude Adventures is a terrific guide and an amazing downhiller.
4. Having a car was definitely worth it.
5. Rotorua Bike Shop: Bike Culture. The guys were great and my Tallboy C felt right at home.
6. Taupo after rain: no problem, it is actaully much faster because the dust goes away and the soil remains tacky.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread: Thanks NZ (I'll be back)
Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »